2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Biccys
November 3, 2009, 4:20pm
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from moosey_club

You can defer an initial call but have to give a date/ timescale when you can attend.
Not many ways out of it other than certain religious grounds, i really wasnt keen to do it on concientious objector grounds but i was told by a magistrate i know that wouldnt stand up, so my next plan was to just say ...."oh i know him" and therefore not be impartial and be excused, i actually did know somebody involved in the first case that i was called for so had to be excused but much to my disappointment they still had other cases to hear that week so had to hang around.
My top tip though is  when/if you get called into court wait until they run through the names of people in the case and pick one of the witnesses and say, i know him/her. Dont pick the defendant as they are already present at this time and could say "no you dont". The counsel will ask how and just say you worked with them for a couple of years, no proof is required, they take your word, after all you are the jury, and therefore they will just exclude you from that case.

Apparently though you can actually volunteer to be go on the list if you so desire.

So fraud, then...?

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 18
moosey_club
November 3, 2009, 5:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,338
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Biccys

So fraud, then...?

Well i believe under the Fraud Act 2006 for fraud to have occurred a dishonest act has to result in either gain or loss so as neither really occurred then not fraud and it couldnt be purjery as at that point you have not sworn in, so could be argued that it isnt actually illegal, just a lie.
My god biccy's at this rate you would locking up kids in the playground for telling fibs, shame on you.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
ginnywings
November 6, 2009, 10:37am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I did jury service last year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

My GF is a JP and decided to tag along with me one morning as she had not,up until that point,been to Grimsby Crown Court,only recently moving here and hadn't had her transfer from previous town.

I was asked at reception,as usual,what my business was and was searched and put through the metal detector as normal.

When GF was asked her business,she replied,"i'm a visiting JP" and was immediately whisked through without being searched or having to go through the metal detector.She was also referred to as "Ma'am" and pointed in the direction of the Judges Chambers and canteen.All the while treating her like a god.

I was treated with much less interest in comparison.'Twas rather funny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
Biccys
November 6, 2009, 6:13pm
Quoted from moosey_club

Well i believe under the Fraud Act 2006 for fraud to have occurred a dishonest act has to result in either gain or loss so as neither really occurred then not fraud and it couldnt be purjery as at that point you have not sworn in, so could be argued that it isnt actually illegal, just a lie.
My god biccy's at this rate you would locking up kids in the playground for telling fibs, shame on you.

Well you "gain" by not doing your civic duty through fraudulent means. (I'm too much of a coward to go messing about with the courts! With my luck I'd be thrown into the Tower!)

And yes, that'd teach the little feckers to tell the truth all the time so we'd never have this situation would we....  

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 18
moosey_club
November 7, 2009, 6:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Biccys

Well you "gain" by not doing your civic duty through fraudulent means. (I'm too much of a coward to go messing about with the courts! With my luck I'd be thrown into the Tower!)

And yes, that'd teach the little feckers to tell the truth all the time so we'd never have this situation would we....  

Dock Tower?  

A truthful society eh? That scares me for some reason. Little white lies keep the world ticking over sometimes.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
Biccys
November 7, 2009, 11:20pm
Quoted from moosey_club

Dock Tower?  

A truthful society eh? That scares me for some reason. Little white lies keep the world ticking over sometimes.

That's what they want you to think...

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 18
moosey_club
November 8, 2009, 12:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Biccys

That's what they want you to think...

was thinking more personal world !! lol.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
moosey_club
November 8, 2009, 12:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
and while i am on this one, in the telegraph tonight...Magistrates send down a man for threatening behaviour and damaging a car as it caused distress to the public.........same page, a man smashes a bottle he had concealed up his sleeve into the head of another man, serving armed forces, and gets supervision order / community service.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
Distinti Mariner
November 10, 2009, 2:24pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Broken Britain Moosey, Broken Britain.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jury Service Rant

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.