Googlebot and 86 Guests

Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway

This thread currently has 866 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Meggy
October 16, 2009, 12:50pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
The one that ran from North Sea Lane to the Fitties. Anyone else ever worked on it? I did one summer, 1968, after being dumped by my dad at my grandma's on North Sea Lane, 'cos he was worried about what sort of trouble I would cause back at the grammar school after my "O" levels, since I was moving to another school for 6th form .

We were living away from Gy at the time, so I was stuck in Humberston nearly 8 weeks, before he came and picked me up

Had a great time on that railway though. It was a shame the Council undermined it. I was there from opening time until dusk, maintenance of stock, painting, concreting, helping erect the stock shed, you name it I did it, even a bit of driving the diesels.
Logged Offline
Private Message
MyDogsThoughts
October 16, 2009, 2:15pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
Had a couple of pints of Tom Woods 'Old Sleeper' in the smallest bar on the planet over the weekend.  The old signal box that serves as the bar came from the Scunny steel works system.

The workers are all volunteers, only one or two get paid, it is owned by the Shaws from Sheffield I believe.

Never worked on it myself, they are busy sorting out the main station at the moment.

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
ginnywings
October 16, 2009, 3:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I know someone who made one of the engines that run on it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
mrgrimsby
October 16, 2009, 7:56pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +12 / -1
i remember it well, used it many times ...used to jump on mid journey...a bit like a cowboy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
Meggy
October 17, 2009, 6:13am
Lager Top Drinker
Are some of us talking about the same railway?
I'm on about the one that ran from North Sea Lane, down to the Fitties, closed and dismantled in the late 70's/early 80's, and now being rebuilt at Skeggy.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.enefer/lincs/lclr.htm

I think some of you might be mixing it up with the CLEETHORPES Coast Light Railway, that runs from the boating lake to near Buck's Beck.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
theicenian
October 17, 2009, 9:34am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
Quoted from Meggy
I'm on about the one that ran from North Sea Lane, down to the Fitties, closed and dismantled in the late 70's/early 80's, and now being rebuilt at Skeggy.

I think some of you might be mixing it up with the CLEETHORPES Coast Light Railway, that runs from the boating lake to near Buck's Beck.

Well I was getting more than confused.I knew the one you meant. And I knew they were rebuilding it at Skegness.

Surely the Lincs one was a bigger gauge than the Cleethorpes one.Wasn't it?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
Meggy
October 17, 2009, 10:03am
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from theicenian

Well I was getting more than confused.I knew the one you meant. And I knew they were rebuilding it at Skegness.

Surely the Lincs one was a bigger gauge than the Cleethorpes one.Wasn't it?

Sure was. LCLR was 1' 11 1/2", the CCLR is afaik, 1' gauge.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
FishOutOfWater
October 17, 2009, 2:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,590
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Meggy

I'd forgotten all about that one....I never used to get down to the fitties that often but now you mention it, I do remember it now. Think I only went on it a couple of times when I was a kid...a bit of a rickety ride if my memory serves me right!

At first though I thought you were talking about the current on that runs to Buck's Beck as you say....my cousin drives on that one now and again (when not working on the full scale line out at Ludborough)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 9
mrgrimsby
October 17, 2009, 4:35pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Quoted from Meggy

Of course I knew which one you meant!!!! Do you think we are all thick here???
I USED TO JUMP ON IT MID JOURNEY LIKE A COWBOY!!!!!!!!!
That one that ran from across the road from the caravan park to the Fitties......Gawd....Note time of post....I am finding this thread more interesting that the Rochdale match thread!!! How times have changed!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
MyDogsThoughts
October 19, 2009, 3:56pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
Quoted from Meggy

Trust a dog to get the wrong end of the stick!

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lincolnshire Coast Light Railway

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.