Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Pre season trial sessions?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
tintowner and 49 Guests

Pre season trial sessions?

This thread currently has 2,249 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
acko338
May 8, 2024, 1:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,213
Gold Stars: 33
Would a short series of trial games for released players or those at the end of contracts with lower pay offers given by parent clubs provide Town with a practical chance to see players in action with a view to signing a known standard, not just the previous method of hoping that injuries stay away?

Too many mid to long injuries really affected any chance of sending out regular unchanged formations and all areas were affected.

So lucky that Rose stayed fit for so long in his lonely role up front.

Question - does Glenn Hoddle's Academy for released players still exist?

Just one rough diamond found would make the effort worthwhile, surely?
Logged Offline
Private Message
LocalLadGTFC
May 8, 2024, 2:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 141
Exit trials are a thing, but is more catered to younger players.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 17
diehardmariner
May 8, 2024, 2:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,755
Gold Stars: 544
Yeah the EFL facilitate them to a decent level of success too.

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/march/20/exit-trials--a-player-s-second-chance/

Hoddle's Academy has long gone, good idea and it brought a lot of decent players back into the game but financially it was never going to be a success.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
crusty ole pie
May 8, 2024, 5:26pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,398
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from diehardmariner
Yeah the EFL facilitate them to a decent level of success too.

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/march/20/exit-trials--a-player-s-second-chance/

Hoddle's Academy has long gone, good idea and it brought a lot of decent players back into the game but financially it was never going to be a success.

And it was too southern based southerners don’t know there’s life after the Watford gap
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
moosey_club
May 8, 2024, 7:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 229
Didn't Siriki come to us via Glenn Hoddles academy...or at least an attendee ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
LocalLadGTFC
May 8, 2024, 8:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 141
Quoted from moosey_club
Didn't Siriki come to us via Glenn Hoddles academy...or at least an attendee ?

He came from the Nike academy, they've produced a lot of players over the years.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 17
toontown
May 8, 2024, 9:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

He came from the Nike academy, they've produced a lot of players over the years.

Yeah I was just going to mention Nike academy which gave us siriki dembele, Slade mK2s high point really. The same guy who spent over a year working with Sam Kelly at vale and thought he had it in him to be a league 2 level player and gave him a 2 year contract!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
Poojah
May 8, 2024, 9:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,045
Gold Stars: 1,535
Quoted from toontown

Yeah I was just going to mention Nike academy which gave us siriki dembele, Slade mK2s high point really. The same guy who spent over a year working with Sam Kelly at vale and thought he had it in him to be a league 2 level player and gave him a 2 year contract!

Weirdly, I can remember where I was when we signed Sam Kelly (on a train from Euston to Milton Keynes, in case you’re interested). I can still recall the jibes from the Vale fans, and thinking: there’s no way on God’s earth he can be that bad.

And yet he was so much worse. I’ve seen some gutless cúnts in my time watching Town, but Christ, Sam Kelly will take some beating.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
toontown
May 8, 2024, 11:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,267
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Poojah

Weirdly, I can remember where I was when we signed Sam Kelly (on a train from Euston to Milton Keynes, in case you’re interested). I can still recall the jibes from the Vale fans, and thinking: there’s no way on God’s earth he can be that bad.

And yet he was so much worse. I’ve seen some gutless cúnts in my time watching Town, but Christ, Sam Kelly will take some beating.

Yeah I remember seeing him for the first time at chesterfield. The first time he got the ball and ran forward, as soon as a chesterfield player set up to oppose him he simply ran with the ball off the pitch rather than try and take him on. So so bizarre. He did similar a things in at least a couple more appearances rather than actually attempt to beat the man.

Unbelievably bad and a perfect example of why pro football coaches are sometimes exposed as being less effective at judging players than fans that just watch matches. The worst reviews of any player we've signed when I looked on their website when we signed him. The vale fans were right, Slade, despite all his experience, was dreadfully wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 9, 2024, 9:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,084
Gold Stars: 195
I’ve always thought it would be good for the FA/PFA etc to have regional centres, maybe working alongside university’s/colleges, to help in reeducating or having centres that help players after contracts have finished. Loughborough, Leeds Carnegie, UWE and Hartpury come to mind as places that already have high sporting pedigree’s (am sure there’s many more) that could probably help in guiding players and make that transition over. It just reminds me of when scannell and coke were at town and the way they interacted with the younger players.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Pre season trial sessions?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.