Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: Spurn boy, April 26, 2024, 7:19pm
Just watched the interview with JT on YouTube and what a great modest guy he is, a Mariners fan and a genuine fan, hope you have a a long and successful retirement JT and thanks for you contribution to the fortunes of town over the years. UTM
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, April 26, 2024, 7:32pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Spurn boy
Just watched the interview with JT on YouTube and what a great modest guy he is, a Mariners fan and a genuine fan, hope you have a a long and successful retirement JT and thanks for you contribution to the fortunes of town over the years. UTM

E before U except after glue
Posted by: GTFC_85, April 27, 2024, 12:05am; Reply: 2
I cannot express how much his voice was loved by me and my friends, and there throughout my teens and still to my 40s. Jt thank you  so much. If you get a chance to listen to his commentary when Burnett scored the wembley winner, oh and when Arnold scored for 3 1. My parents tape recorded the Bournemouth Wembley game from the radio live on cassette back in 98 and I still have the tapes to this day. Just brilliant nostalgia and memories.
Posted by: DB, April 27, 2024, 6:23am; Reply: 3
Before JT we had Charles Ekberg. I'm trying hard to to decide who was the better, any thoughts?
Posted by: grimps, April 27, 2024, 7:33am; Reply: 4
It won’t be the same without him , all the best for your  retirement John
Posted by: bradzmilne, April 27, 2024, 8:04am; Reply: 5
“The voice of the mariners” for so many generations & echo what others say about being a genuine fan and a good bloke.

Equally, very good of the club to offer JT a free season ticket moving forward. Classy

Enjoy retirement Mr. Tondeur
Posted by: Abdul19, April 27, 2024, 8:29am; Reply: 6
One of my earliest GTFC memories is sitting in the back of the Sierra on the way back from the Wrexham game in 1990, listening to him interview John McDermott. McDermott was saying something about being near the tunnel and managing to just about avoid the pitch invasion. Lovely stuff.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, April 27, 2024, 9:31am; Reply: 7

E before U except after glue

Is this a grammar lesson or some kind of rule of thumb for teenage drug taking while ‘aving it large’ on a Friday night down Victoria Street?
Posted by: SpiritOf98, April 27, 2024, 9:34am; Reply: 8
Four generations, more even, have followed Town with his commentary.
We should make a Tondeur sound-bite collection, bring out the old favourites. My starter..

'..and there's a break on here...'. This generally followed most Town corners, often ended in the opposition scoring and will aways bring me out in a cold sweat :o
Posted by: Humbercod, April 27, 2024, 9:48am; Reply: 9
Being in my late 40s I’ve grown up with his voice, and for me he is the voice of GTFC. We tend to get comfortable and take the good things in life for granted, and this was never more apparent when BBC Humberside lost the commentary rights! Not having John for that season was horrible and whoever steps in now will have big boots to fill. I can only hope it’s Matt Dean he’s always done a good job when stepping in, plus I think he’s a town fan but not 100% sure.

I think John has mentioned somewhere he will come back for the odd appearance now and then  🙏
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, April 27, 2024, 5:04pm; Reply: 10
Thanks JT for being the narrator of some memorable matches and moments (and more than our fair share of forgettable ones). Your unmistakable tones and style will be missed.

Enjoy your retirement.
Print page generated: May 19, 2024, 6:33pm