Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: pontoonlew, April 26, 2024, 6:58pm
Appears to have been the first player to be confirmed to be leaving.

Not had his best season by any means, but what a signing he’s been, best of luck to him!
Posted by: chipsandgravy, April 26, 2024, 7:06pm; Reply: 1
Always liked Gav and often we looked better when he was in the team. He has never let anybody down except himself sometimes when he made a hash of the odd pass and missed a sitter.
Seems a thoroughly decent guy and I hope he gets fixed up quickly but definately goes with my best wishes.
Posted by: davmariner, April 26, 2024, 7:07pm; Reply: 2
Sorry to see him go. So many memories, to thank him for. Notts County, Southampton etc etc.

All the best Gav!
Posted by: marinerjase, April 26, 2024, 7:13pm; Reply: 3
Part of a special year for the club, played a huge part in it - for those memories, thank you. All the very best wherever it may be.

*Agree with the decision - for us to progress we need stronger, fitter more athletic types, whom can retain possession- Gavs best years are behind him. (Imho)
Posted by: MarinerDevil, April 26, 2024, 7:14pm; Reply: 4
He's become a key part of our history for his heroics during the play-offs and the Cup run. A solid pro who is by all accounts a really great person to have around.

Thanks and all the best for the future Gav.
Posted by: denni266, April 26, 2024, 7:15pm; Reply: 5
Good luck in thr future Gav And thanks for them golden moments
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, April 26, 2024, 7:16pm; Reply: 6
If we didn't sign Gav, we wouldn't of gone up.. it's as simple as that. Such a crucial player over the past 2 years and part of unforgettable memories and he's just a good bloke all together. Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened  ;D
Posted by: Hagrid, April 26, 2024, 7:25pm; Reply: 7
On a personal level absolutely gutted, my favourite town player since Dis

The Chesterfield goal, the Last minute at Notts, his Nob after the Play Off Final, Southampton, so many wonderful memories.

A kind and likeable man as well, wish him nothing but the best
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 26, 2024, 7:34pm; Reply: 8
Best of luck Gav hope you get fixed up soon.

You go with all our thanks you never gave less than 100%
Posted by: It Bites, April 26, 2024, 7:34pm; Reply: 9
I liked him and rated him highly.  Great player and gave his all
Posted by: Abdul19, April 26, 2024, 7:59pm; Reply: 10
What everyone else has said! Scorer of massive goals, and a mention for the winner v Stockport at BP 👍
Posted by: TAGG, April 26, 2024, 8:04pm; Reply: 11
He's been fantastic for us from day one.
Respect
All the best Gav
Once a Mariner always a mariner
Posted by: neverapen, April 26, 2024, 8:12pm; Reply: 12
Gav created more pivotal memories in his 2 years than some players create in the entirety of their careers. He’s one of those blokes where you don’t really have a bad word to say about him. I wish him all the best and hope he gets a decent move
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, April 26, 2024, 8:15pm; Reply: 13
This season will be forgotten in time but he'll be a name frequently mentioned in a great little era for town, really likable player, grafter, plenty of great moments and goals, sad but also feel the timings right
Posted by: DB, April 26, 2024, 8:20pm; Reply: 14
I wish him all the best in the future, wherever he ends up. He has been a fantastic player for us over the time he has been with us and a lucky NL team will get a gem of a player.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 26, 2024, 8:23pm; Reply: 15
I will never ever forget THAT goal at Notts County....and his reaction ....BOOM!!!!

Nor will I ever forget those two penalties at Southampton. What a hero.

He has truly left his marker on this club and I wish him well.

Thank you Gav.  
Posted by: Plankton, April 26, 2024, 8:30pm; Reply: 16
His screamer against Chesterfield is one of my favourite goals in recent times.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, April 26, 2024, 8:30pm; Reply: 17
Also announced a couple of hours by GTFC that Justin Obikwu and Harvey Cartwright have returned to their parent teams, with the clubs best wishes, so obviously neither will be in tomorrows squad
Posted by: LH, April 26, 2024, 8:42pm; Reply: 18
So many great moments for Town and the two pens at Southampton fall into the iconic category. A real shame he hasn’t hit the heights we know he can this season but a great servant.
Posted by: bradzmilne, April 26, 2024, 8:52pm; Reply: 19
A cult hero & a true gentleman.

Undoubtedly the right decision, but, it’s one that hurts a little.

Thanks for everything Gav.
Posted by: Lord Gadiform, April 26, 2024, 9:37pm; Reply: 20
In recent years one of two players we’ve had who could individually swing a big game. On his day absolutely brilliant. Thanks Gav.

Always looked at the Cod Almighty Legend section on the Contract Tracker and could see him on there. Strong case  after the amazing highs he’s given in the last two years.
Posted by: acko338, April 26, 2024, 9:47pm; Reply: 21
Great player who gives his all.

Just didn't click this year, but not the only one that has struggled.

Chance to move on with our thanks for some huge memories !
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, April 26, 2024, 9:49pm; Reply: 22
It’s always sad to see a player leave who you know got being a town player. Always turned up when it mattered with a performance or a big goal . All the best Gav . Plenty to offer the game yet 👍👍
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, April 26, 2024, 9:56pm; Reply: 23
I can think of other players I would have seen out the door before Gav.   He has been a good servant to the club without any doubt.
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 26, 2024, 10:04pm; Reply: 24
What he did in the NL for us, and Hartlepool before, is beyond doubt - fantastic. But two average seasons in the EFL for us.

His days with us are done, and it’s a shame because he’s a good lad. I’m not sure I ever saw him hit a ball like he did at Chesterfield that day, and seeing as I was a sporadic paying fan during our non league season, I never truly ‘got’ what Gav added.  I’m definitely in the minority there.

Good luck to him getting a new contract elsewhere, but onwards and upwards for the Mariners. An obvious, and necessary move by management, I think.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, April 26, 2024, 10:27pm; Reply: 25
Holohan can definitely leave Grimsby Town with his head held high, good luck Gavan wherever you go next.
Posted by: cardiffmariner, April 26, 2024, 10:56pm; Reply: 26
Don’t often add to these kind of threads but, as others have said, he is someone who displays how much he cares about what he does. In this day and age I really value and appreciate that. Not to mention the Notts game and Southampton! Wow!

Good luck Gav. You gave your all and, sometimes, that is all we ask.
Posted by: Laddy89, April 26, 2024, 11:15pm; Reply: 27
I’m seeing this just now. Where has everyone seen this published that he is leaving?
Posted by: bradzmilne, April 26, 2024, 11:18pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Laddy89
I’m seeing this just now. Where has everyone seen this published that he is leaving?

Is the photo doing the rounds on Twitter.

However, I must add - I don’t do Instagram & I’m unsure how it works.
Posted by: Wedidntdidwe, April 26, 2024, 11:25pm; Reply: 29
That attachment should be sent to every player we want to sign in the summer.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, April 26, 2024, 11:59pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from bradzmilne

Is the photo doing the rounds on Twitter.

However, I must add - I don’t do Instagram & I’m unsure how it works.

That’s his missus mate, given they’ve said end of an era in Grimsby it means he’s on his way
Posted by: mariner91, April 27, 2024, 5:59am; Reply: 31
Best of luck Gav and thank you for some incredible memories.
Posted by: neverapen, April 27, 2024, 8:39am; Reply: 32
Gav has also liked the IG post and commented which pretty much validates it. Assume he’ll bring out some sort of statement of his own one the retained list is released? Seeing how well liked and respected he it, would be nice if fans could send messages directly to him rather in response to something that’s been spotted by chance
Posted by: Humbercod, April 27, 2024, 9:52am; Reply: 33
Been a good servant, sad to see him go really appreciated his work rate always seem to give 100% as a fan you can’t ask for more than that.
Posted by: Mappers, April 27, 2024, 9:55am; Reply: 34
His race was run here , doesn't mean it wasn't a good one .

He won't go down as a legend to me in the same way some of the past have but certainly a hero in the last 6 months of THAT NL season and into our FA Cup run .

Another one like many over the last year who have vacated , will go with best wishes and hope that they continue to do well after giving their all to the cause .

Hartlepool or York next possibly ?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 27, 2024, 9:56am; Reply: 35
Very likeable lad and I hope he gets a contract somewhere but fully expected and many more to follow I’d assume
Posted by: moosey_club, April 27, 2024, 10:28am; Reply: 36
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
If we didn't sign Gav, we wouldn't of gone up.. it's as simple as that. Such a crucial player over the past 2 years and part of unforgettable memories and he's just a good bloke all together. Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened  ;D

I remember his arrival was was greeted with quite alot of dissenting voices.....proved all those wrong. Great contribution during his time.
Best wishes to him.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, April 27, 2024, 11:25am; Reply: 37
Really liked Gav and he moves with my best wishes and gratitude for his services here.Someone will be getting themselves a decent lad.Good Luck
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 27, 2024, 11:53am; Reply: 38
We want Town players to create great moments & memories Gav certainly did that. If he doesn’t retire some club will get a top pro & person.
Posted by: gobby, April 27, 2024, 12:06pm; Reply: 39
Sad to see him leave. Proper player and gave his all to GTFC. Thanks Gav and good luck fella. 8)
Posted by: Poojah, April 27, 2024, 12:53pm; Reply: 40
It’s funny, because I can remember where I was when we announced the signing of Gav Holohan. At the time, we were two points outside the National League play-offs, having played 2 games more than Boreham Wood.

If you’d have told me then that he would go on to…

- Score an absolute thunderbolt from 35 yards in a 4-1 win away at Chesterfield (I’ve just watched it back and you can hear the home crowd clapping)

- Score the winner in our comeback against champions elect Stockport

- Score a 96th minute equaliser of a play-off eliminator at Notts County; a moment that triggered the most incredible play-off campaign I have ever witnessed

- Score the opening goal of an FA Cup 4th round game away at Premier League-bound Luton, which would eventually see us go through to the 5th round

- Score the two goals that secured our win away at Premier League Southampton, taking us through to our first FA Cup Quarter Final since 1939

…I’d have said “yeah, that’s not a bad signing, that”.

Seriously, I’ve been watching Town for over 30 years and I struggle to think of anyone who’s had a bigger impact in terms of goals in key moments. Outside of the above, there’s an argument to be made that his best goal in a Town shirt was away at Hartlepool, where he still had the class not to celebrate against his old club.

Is Gav Holohan a GTFC legend? Without question; Town fans will be talking about him for decades to come.

What an incredible difference he’s made to this football club. Thanks for the memories, Gav!
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 27, 2024, 1:11pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Poojah
Outside of the above, there’s an argument to be made that his best goal in a Town shirt was away at Hartlepool, where he still had the class not to celebrate against his old club.

The stupidest thing in modern football. Not celebrating a goal. I'm not expecting him to go all Adebayor. but celebrate a goal with your teammates and the fans FFS.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, April 27, 2024, 5:53pm; Reply: 42
Someone I am sad to see go and a massive part of two seasons of success. Seems like a good guy as well.
Expect him to end up at York or somewhere like that.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 27, 2024, 6:51pm; Reply: 43
Well done that man. Some of what he has contributed will go down in history.

Not sure if it was to do with the crap around him but didn't appear at his best this season but goes with I am sure most fans best wishes.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 27, 2024, 6:57pm; Reply: 44
Sad to see him leave and he has done a lot of good whilst he's been with us.

Not sure quite what happened this season but, like most of the midfield, he was in and out of the team - wish him nothing but the best for the future.
Posted by: CSLM, April 27, 2024, 7:07pm; Reply: 45
Every player should "care" as a minimum but some go beyond that and Gav is definitely one of them.

Good luck to the bloke, had some fantastic moments and when he was good he was really good.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 27, 2024, 8:54pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The stupidest thing in modern football. Not celebrating a goal. I'm not expecting him to go all Adebayor. but celebrate a goal with your teammates and the fans FFS.

Well done Orsi. How it should be done.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, April 27, 2024, 9:05pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Poojah
It’s funny, because I can remember where I was when we announced the signing of Gav Holohan. At the time, we were two points outside the National League play-offs, having played 2 games more than Boreham Wood.

If you’d have told me then that he would go on to…

- Score an absolute thunderbolt from 35 yards in a 4-1 win away at Cheltenham (I’ve just watched it back and you can hear the home crowd clapping)

- Score the winner in our comeback against champions elect Stockport

- Score a 96th minute equaliser of a play-off eliminator at Notts County; a moment that triggered the most incredible play-off campaign I have ever witnessed

- Score the opening goal of an FA Cup 4th round game away at Premier League-bound Luton, which would eventually see us go through to the 5th round

- Score the two goals that secured our win away at Premier League Southampton, taking us through to our first FA Cup Quarter Final since 1939

…I’d have said “yeah, that’s not a bad signing, that”.

Seriously, I’ve been watching Town for over 30 years and I struggle to think of anyone who’s had a bigger impact in terms of goals in key moments. Outside of the above, there’s an argument to be made that his best goal in a Town shirt was away at Hartlepool, where he still had the class not to celebrate against his old club.

Is Gav Holohan a GTFC legend? Without question; Town fans will be talking about him for decades to come.

What an incredible difference he’s made to this football club. Thanks for the memories, Gav!

What an excellent post! I am really puzzled why five people should vote this down, unless we have some trolls.
Posted by: Poojah, April 27, 2024, 9:21pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from hampshiremariner

What an excellent post! I am really puzzled why five people should vote this down, unless we have some trolls.

To be fair, having re-read it in your quote, it might be (in part) because I’d written Cheltenham instead of Chesterfield. Well, I hadn’t “written” that to be fair; I just happened to be hungover as fúck at the time of writing and that was what the autocorrect had deduced from whatever garbled bóllocks I had mashed into the keypad.
Posted by: Maringer, April 27, 2024, 10:22pm; Reply: 49
Good luck to him in the future. He's had an average season and didn't manage to score the goals he should with the chances he had (and put there chances away in the past), but he's been a really good player during his relatively short time at the club.

I'd imagine he would be able to do a good job somewhere for another two or three seasons, possibly in the Conference? A decent fitness record which is half the job.

Back to Hartlepool, maybe? Possibly back to the Irish Premier League if he wants to move back to Ireland?
Posted by: moosey_club, April 27, 2024, 11:20pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Maringer
Good luck to him in the future. He's had an average season and didn't manage to score the goals he should with the chances he had (and put there chances away in the past),

There was an interview with him at the end of promotion campaign I think it was....and he said he always gets around double figures but under Hurst he had been given a more defensive brief (along with everyone else probably) ...you sensed he was disappointed but he did re-iterate that if that's the role the gaffer wanted then that's what he would do....after that interview I had alot more respect for him as a footballer.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, April 27, 2024, 11:35pm; Reply: 51
I was notified today by the club that I won the auction for Holohans framed signed shirt from the Southampton game.. go nicely in the man cave 😃
Posted by: toontown, April 28, 2024, 12:24am; Reply: 52
Really appreciate Gavs performances for us in a town shirt, esp those big moments at chesterfield, at home to Stockport, the notts play off and of course Luton and Southampton in the cup. Made a really noticeable difference for us from coming in at the midway ISH point in NL promotion season. Really likeable player who you can see was genuinely proud to wear the shirt and gave his all. It's the right decision to let him go as this season has been mostly disappointing from him but I think he still has something to offer someone at NL level. Best of luck Gav it's been a pleasure.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 28, 2024, 1:45pm; Reply: 53
He was a key member of the 2022 promotion team that I think I will always have a fondness for. I have been lucky enough to see plenty of our promotion campaigns at levels above the NL, but those three playoff games were simply epic. A tremendous effort showing considerable energy, skill, and mental resilience.

I love them all, every one of them. But especially MacAtee and Gav. Legends.
Print page generated: May 19, 2024, 6:30pm