Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: cardiffmariner, April 12, 2024, 9:50am
Okay, so received a message from a mate this morning saying he’d just read an article in The Times (I know) which has Town down as the team with the longest wait to have a 20+ goal scorer in the top 4 leagues. According to the article it was Jack Lewis in the 74-75 season.

Is this right? I was born that season and I’m sure we’ve had a 20+ goal scorer in my lifetime. Super Clive?

If it’s right, just another depressing stat to add to Golly’s list from the other day!
Posted by: Mariner_09, April 12, 2024, 9:51am; Reply: 1
Quoted from cardiffmariner
Okay, so received a message from a mate this morning saying he’d just read an article in The Times (I know) which has Town down as the team with the longest wait to have a 20+ goal scorer in the top 4 leagues. According to the article it was Jack Lewis in the 74-75 season.

Is this right? I was born that season and I’m sure we’ve had a 20+ goal scorer in my lifetime. Super Clive?

If it’s right, just another depressing stat to add to Golly’s list from the other day!

Did Omar not get 20 before he was sold to Wigan?
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 12, 2024, 9:52am; Reply: 2
Didn't Kevin Donovan get over 20 in the Wembley double season?
Posted by: Mappers, April 12, 2024, 9:54am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Mariner_09

Did Omar not get 20 before he was sold to Wigan?

Got 19 i think
Posted by: Mappers, April 12, 2024, 9:55am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Les Brechin
Didn't Kevin Donovan get over 20 in the Wembley double season?

15 or 16 i think
Posted by: aussiej, April 12, 2024, 10:11am; Reply: 5
Donovan got 18 in the league + 3 in cup competitions.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 12, 2024, 10:13am; Reply: 6
Donovan got 21 but that was in all competitions.

I was convinced that Super Clive got 20 in his final season with us but having Googled it, he only got 18.  Bogle left on 19 in January, which is an insane record really.  Would have been 20 had he not blazed over that last minute penalty against Barnet in Bignot's first game in charge.  After Bignot arrived Bogle scored 7 in 4 (and the missed penalty), that was following a run earlier in the season of 6 in 3 (and two assists).   If you you caught him on the right day he was bloody unplayable for us.

We can say it now we've played Newport and he came on as a sub to no effect, but he was an absolute pale shadow of himself on Saturday.  He's up there for me as one of the real wasted talents that we've seen.  Had he really wanted it, he could have gone onto much, much higher levels than he did.
Posted by: cardiffmariner, April 12, 2024, 10:35am; Reply: 7
Yeah, I was also pretty convinced by Super Clive. Seems on this occasion The Times has it right!

Think we can sometimes get hung up on the 20+ goal scorer. Buckley showed it’s not needed for success. That said, it would be nice to be on the other end of some the stats we’ve seen recently!
Posted by: Maringer, April 12, 2024, 10:43am; Reply: 8
It would be nice to have a couple on 15 and a few others near double-figures with several players chipping in with a handful. We've got so few goals from our defenders and midfielders this season, it's kind of ridiculous.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 12, 2024, 11:16am; Reply: 9

Wasn't there something on here about 20 goals, LJL, johnnyboy and a sausage?
Posted by: cardiffmariner, April 12, 2024, 11:18am; Reply: 10
Sheff Wed in second (David Hirst 90-91), so we really are top of this particular one!
Posted by: Maringer, April 12, 2024, 11:31am; Reply: 11
Quoted from promotion plaice

Wasn't there something on here about 20 goals, LJL, johnnyboy and a sausage?

Not in the League.

I know he couldn't hit a cow's bottom with a banjo when in front of goal at times, but we could have done with an LJL-alike this season to play alongside Rose. At his best, he could put the fear of God into defenders with his pace, strength and workrate.
Posted by: cannylad65, April 12, 2024, 11:34am; Reply: 12
Jack Lewis was one of mine and the crowds favourite.

Super quick from a standing start.

I think he scored a hat trick against us after he left.
Extremely modest.
Posted by: 800 (Guest), April 12, 2024, 11:35am; Reply: 13
Quite a record. The goals were shared about in the 1979-80 season with nobody getting twenty in the league despite us winning it.

The only league season that I can remember us really banging in goals for fun was 1984-85.

I have friends who support Donny and over the years I've lived here they always note that we don't score enough.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 12, 2024, 11:37am; Reply: 14
I seem too remember that Clive scored his 19 goals in a season that we did not do very well.

When he was injured and could not play in many games in another season and hardly scored we finished a lot higher up the league.

Which does not make much sense as we were a lot better team when Clive was in it.
Posted by: Mappers, April 12, 2024, 11:38am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Maringer

Not in the League.

I know he couldn't hit a cow's bottom with a banjo when in front of goal at times, but we could have done with an LJL-alike this season to play alongside Rose. At his best, he could put the fear of God into defenders with his pace, strength and workrate.

I think in one of the NL seasons he scored quite a few pens if i remember rightly.
Posted by: Maringer, April 12, 2024, 11:42am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Mappers

I think in one of the NL seasons he scored quite a few pens if i remember rightly.

Sounds right. I seem to remember he was good at penalties, but hopeless on one-on-ones against the keeper in open play.

Didn't his goal in the Play-off Final bounce in off him blocking the keeper's attempted clearance or similar? A long time ago now.
Posted by: HoratiusEberlin, April 12, 2024, 11:56am; Reply: 17
I suppose it’s telling that whenever we have someone who gets close they’re taken off us. I tend to hope that goals are spread more evenly across the squad so that our players are less noticeable. Another joy of being a Grimsby fan is acknowledging that you’ll get to enjoy your very best players for half a season.
Posted by: Withnail, April 12, 2024, 11:57am; Reply: 18
Interesting article.

No Manchester United player scored 20 times in the league between George Best doing so in 1967-68 and Brian McClair following suit in 1987-88. Likewise no one has done this for United since RVP in 2012/13

Aston Villa failed to register a 20-goal scorer in the league between their title-winning campaign of 1980-81 (Peter Withe) and their Championship campaign of 2018-19 (Tammy Abraham).
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, April 12, 2024, 12:00pm; Reply: 19

Just having a check, pre 1985 it was indeed Jack Lewis with 21 league goals in the 1974-75 season.  Tony Ford scored 16 in the 78-79 season.  Kilmore 15 and Drinkell with 16 in the 79-80 season and 17 in the 82-83 season.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 12, 2024, 12:00pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from grimsby pete
I seem too remember that Clive scored his 19 goals in a season that we did not do very well.

When he was injured and could not play in many games in another season and hardly scored we finished a lot higher up the league.

Which does not make much sense as we were a lot better team when Clive was in it.

Long thought it was just a case of our stars not aligning at that point.

Post Buckley and early Laws we kicked on and moved on in terms of our play.  But it came at the time when Clive was injured.  Ivanogate is always pointed to as the reason that team crumbled away from a promotion change, but that isn't true.  The wheels had already started to come off a bit and results were tailing off, we peaked a couple of months earlier around November time.  

Livvo and Forrester plugged away up top but neither were prolific at that level, had Clive been fit for most of that season...

Posted by: Nelly GTFC, April 12, 2024, 12:07pm; Reply: 21
(book) Prior to Jack Lewis with the 21 goals in the 1974-75 season, it was Matt Tees with 27 league goals in the 1971-72 season. Brace scored 19 that season as well, also Hickman with 13 goals.
Posted by: Withnail, April 12, 2024, 12:09pm; Reply: 22
Podge, Connell and Hearn all scored 20 for us - but when we were non league
Posted by: pizzzza, April 12, 2024, 12:25pm; Reply: 23

Not read the article but surely there is someone who has never done it and therefore have been waiting longer than us. I'm thinking of relative newcomers to the EFL, Sutton perhaps?
Posted by: Withnail, April 12, 2024, 12:29pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from pizzzza

Not read the article but surely there is someone who has never done it and therefore have been waiting longer than us. I'm thinking of relative newcomers to the EFL, Sutton perhaps?

Think it's based on which club has been waiting the longest (whilst a league club), therefore we've been waiting longer than Sutton due to our time in the league compared to theirs.
Posted by: exiledmeggie, April 12, 2024, 12:51pm; Reply: 25
Oh for Brace, Tees and Lewis up front this Saturday!!!!
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, April 12, 2024, 1:27pm; Reply: 26
Updated from 1954–55 to 1984–85 seasons, just click the show icon >>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grimsby_Town_F.C._records_and_statistics#Top_goal_scorers

I'll include every season whenever I get time.
Posted by: bedders78, April 12, 2024, 1:32pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from exiledmeggie
Oh for Brace, Tees and Lewis up front this Saturday!!!!

Legs have gone unfortunately
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, April 12, 2024, 1:36pm; Reply: 28
By the looks of it, 2020–21 could be the season with the lowest goal scorer in any season in our entire history and I think he was brought in January transfer window.
Posted by: Martz86, April 12, 2024, 1:45pm; Reply: 29
Didn't Michael Reddy bag quite a few in the play-off loss season? Seem to remember Jones got in to the mid teens, maybe Reddy just fell short?
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 12, 2024, 2:12pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Martz86
Didn't Michael Reddy bag quite a few in the play-off loss season? Seem to remember Jones got in to the mid teens, maybe Reddy just fell short?

Reddy didn’t score that many. Less than jones, from memory.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 12, 2024, 2:53pm; Reply: 31
Reddy 14, Lump 13 + 2 in the playoffs
Posted by: exiledmeggie, April 12, 2024, 5:22pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from bedders78

So have mine over the years!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 12, 2024, 5:38pm; Reply: 33
Danny Rose would p1ss 20 if we had anything like a functional midfield
Posted by: moosey_club, April 13, 2024, 12:46am; Reply: 34
Quoted from bedders78

Still more movement than Obikwu though....

😁
Posted by: exiledmeggie, April 13, 2024, 12:36pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from moosey_club

Still more movement than Obikwu though....

😁

Don’t tempt me!
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, April 13, 2024, 2:13pm; Reply: 36
Lump scored 17 in 05, was our top scorer that season.
Posted by: malkamalka, April 13, 2024, 5:40pm; Reply: 37
Seriously, we should look at Obi currently playing for Arsenal U28’s. He’s 16.

Five goals today, 21 in 9 games.

Season long loan could be productive for him and Town.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 14, 2024, 1:19pm; Reply: 38
Blackburn have a 30 goal striker this season.  Top scorer in the Championship. They can still be relegated.

So, what has a 30 goal striker done for us?

Never mind a 20 goal striker?
Print page generated: May 19, 2024, 9:12pm