Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 30, 2023, 11:07am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-65626273

I'd not heard about this til now. Would a salmon farm smell a bit weird?

http://planninganddevelopment.nelincs.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=RMS6JKLJ04300

[img]https://i2-prod.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/incoming/article8450436.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/1_How-Aquaculture-Seafood-Ltds-proposed-%C2%A375-million-50-tank-salmon-farm-could-look.jpg[/img]
Posted by: mimma, May 30, 2023, 11:20am; Reply: 1
Would explain why our away strip has been changed to salmon coloured shirts  >:(
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 30, 2023, 11:21am; Reply: 2
Move over Harry Haddock, it's Sammy Salmon's time to shine!
Posted by: BenBB, May 30, 2023, 11:36am; Reply: 3
To be fair when we said we always sing when we’re fishing we never specified what type of fish

Can’t wait for people to start moaning about the prices of gourmet sushi at the ground to wash down with their pint of Docks clap.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 30, 2023, 12:11pm; Reply: 4
Just had a quick glance at some of the comments and this one made my raise both eyebrows...

http://planninganddevelopment.nelincs.gov.uk/online-applications/files/0A00F1FCFE29CEA24AAA6513D4F05FEC/pdf/DM_1079_22_SCR-BLUNDELL_AVENUE-1637928.pdf

Moans about the noise from the ground, pretty sure that would have been there before she moved to her address.  Equally so moans about the noise from the train line, again confident it pre-dates her never mind when she moved to Blundell Ave.

Salmon is mega expensive so you would think a local salmon farm would significantly reduce the cost, plus vitally give a shot in the arm to local employment.  Always two sides to every story but you can see why there is some serious opposition to it as a method https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/gruesome-conditions-salmon-farm-supplies-30097379
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 30, 2023, 12:44pm; Reply: 5
Salmon Fishing in the Humber - currently in production with Shush films
Posted by: Garth, May 30, 2023, 1:01pm; Reply: 6
Me thinks Paul Hurst has bigger fish to fry thls upcoming season
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 30, 2023, 1:32pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Garth
Me thinks Paul Hurst has bigger fish to fry thls upcoming season

He plans to poach one or two.

He's looking for a striker called Terry Ackey.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 30, 2023, 1:42pm; Reply: 8
Open salmon farms can bring a lot of issues to the local ecology, most requests to expand or open new farms in Scotland are being turned down now because of disease spreading between farms, and to other wild fish stocks. Its big business up on the lochs and like most things run purely on profit; welfare not important as long as they tick the boxes.
Posted by: Maringer, May 30, 2023, 1:52pm; Reply: 9
As these would be grown in tanks and not in sea lochs, I wouldn't have thought that spread of disease to other species ought to be much of a problem. That's assuming they treat the effluent properly (which they probably won't!).

The main environmental and other costs of salmon/prawn farms is how they obtain the feedstock which tends to be any sort of fish which can be hoovered up by trawlers.

It's why I try to avoid the big farmed tiger prawns you get in most supermarkets these days - I've read articles about slavery and other terrible mistreatment of workers onboard the boats which fish for the stuff to feed to the livestock. I like prawns, but not enough to have somebody enslaved to stick them on my plate.
Posted by: Grimsby2012, May 30, 2023, 2:47pm; Reply: 10
You'd get use to the smell.

To be honest, I'd just think Sticky Vicky was out doing her rounds again looking for some mush in the Bush.
Posted by: Mikey_345, May 30, 2023, 3:00pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from diehardmariner
Just had a quick glance at some of the comments and this one made my raise both eyebrows...

http://planninganddevelopment.nelincs.gov.uk/online-applications/files/0A00F1FCFE29CEA24AAA6513D4F05FEC/pdf/DM_1079_22_SCR-BLUNDELL_AVENUE-1637928.pdf

Moans about the noise from the ground, pretty sure that would have been there before she moved to her address.  Equally so moans about the noise from the train line, again confident it pre-dates her never mind when she moved to Blundell Ave.

"This also already adds to stress on residents and impacts house prices"

One comment mentioning Blundell Park. Yes, presumably meaning they got theirs cheaper... Moving in next to things already there and then moaning about them is pretty barmy. Some of the comments on there are hilarious. It's why hardly anything gets built!
Posted by: GrimRob, May 30, 2023, 4:00pm; Reply: 12
We urine on your salmon
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, May 30, 2023, 4:34pm; Reply: 13
So, let me get it right. From the upper you will still see the trains, but not any ships. Which is fine for ferroequinologists but not Martime Anoraks.  ;D
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 30, 2023, 4:34pm; Reply: 14
If we’re serious about signing that eisa fella:

Got any salmon. Sorted
Posted by: grimps, May 30, 2023, 5:07pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Open salmon farms can bring a lot of issues to the local ecology, most requests to expand or open new farms in Scotland are being turned down now because of disease spreading between farms, and to other wild fish stocks. Its big business up on the lochs and like most things run purely on profit; welfare not important as long as they tick the boxes.

I can’t see them lasting long if they managed to escape into the river Humber.

In my opinion anything that brings new jobs to the Town ( especially jobs that are in keeping with the Towns history)
Are a good idea.
Nimbys should be ignored
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, May 30, 2023, 6:30pm; Reply: 16
I did have a chuckle at some of the comments from the locals.

One of them even likened having a salmon farm in Cleethorpes being as bad as all the nuclear waste at Threddlethorpe (sic)

Its nice to see one idiot commenting all the way from Hibaldstow, who said they will NEVER come to Cleethorpes again if the fish farm is built.

I love NIMBY's, they make me laugh.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 30, 2023, 6:36pm; Reply: 17
I know nothing about fish or fish farming.

How noisy is a salmon farm? I'm struggling to believe it's particularly noisy.
Posted by: Simon, May 30, 2023, 6:48pm; Reply: 18
Great for the area if it creates jobs, dead bit of land thats been unused for years
Posted by: BeijingMariner, May 30, 2023, 7:29pm; Reply: 19
I'm sure this has been asked/suggested/covered before but that site looks plenty big enough for a new ground development to me, wonder how cheap the land is and what it's use restrictions are?
Posted by: rancido, May 30, 2023, 9:09pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from grimps

I can’t see them lasting long if they managed to escape into the river Humber.

In my opinion anything that brings new jobs to the Town ( especially jobs that are in keeping with the Towns history)
Are a good idea.
Nimbys should be ignored

The Humber is used by migrating salmon to access their spawning grounds in the Yorkshire river systems so I think salmon escaping from the proposed fish farm stand a very good chance of survival.
Posted by: Simon, May 30, 2023, 9:17pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from BeijingMariner
I'm sure this has been asked/suggested/covered before but that site looks plenty big enough for a new ground development to me, wonder how cheap the land is and what it's use restrictions are?

I believe when Bill Carr was our Chairman the club tried to buy that land to use as parking for BP but Network Rail refused access
Posted by: Wedidntdidwe, May 30, 2023, 9:27pm; Reply: 22

I'm led to believe they like a bit of a singsong at about 1am, and have a flap flap fish song they adore.
Posted by: denni266, May 30, 2023, 10:43pm; Reply: 23

I would think most sounds would come from big water pumps moving 1000 s of gallons of water .  And water purifcatiom units,
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 30, 2023, 10:51pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from denni266

I would think most sounds would come from big water pumps moving 1000 s of gallons of water .  And water purifcatiom units,

Yeah, but have they got a drummer?

Totally Tin Can!
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 31, 2023, 1:29pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Wedidntdidwe

I'm led to believe they like a bit of a singsong at about 1am, and have a flap flap fish song they adore.

Ha! I resisted adding something like that to my question!
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 31, 2023, 1:30pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from denni266

Yes, that makes sense. Thanks.
Posted by: Heisenberg, May 31, 2023, 5:53pm; Reply: 27
Just build the damned thing, it’s wasteland. Typical for this area, just bloody get on with it.
Posted by: HerveJosse, May 31, 2023, 9:00pm; Reply: 28
Will Cleethorpes beach be covered in salmon sewage?
Posted by: rancido, May 31, 2023, 10:27pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from HerveJosse
Will Cleethorpes beach be covered in salmon sewage?

It will make a change after the bullsh*t and garbage from the previous owner.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 31, 2023, 10:36pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Heisenberg
Just build the damned thing, it’s wasteland. Typical for this area, just bloody get on with it.

It would be better on that field just off Peaks Parkway.
Posted by: wuffing, June 2, 2023, 10:01am; Reply: 31
If we got that well-known author Mr Rushdie as a sponsor as well as the salmon farm, we could build a new stadium with the money and call it the Salmon Rushdie arena!
Posted by: barralad, June 2, 2023, 10:30am; Reply: 32
From what I've read this is a whole lot different to salmon farming in Scottish lochs. These salmon will be bred using artificial light which tricks them into thinking day/night comes quicker. I dont profess to understand the science but apparently this males them grow quicker with the result they are ready to be sold quicker. I make no comment on the ethics or otherwise but it just seems unnatural.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 10:42pm