Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: moosey_club, May 9, 2023, 7:21pm
Post match pub chatter came up with the following on Monday...
3 out of the top four League Two strikers had previously played for us,

A Cook
K. Dennis
O. Bogle

Still not certain if that made me want to cry or made me optimistic that we may find one for ourselves this window.

Posted by: acko338, May 10, 2023, 11:35am; Reply: 1
Although having a prolific 20 + goalscorer would be brilliant, I think I would settle for 2 strikers getting 12 + each and midfielders chipping in with 7 to 10 each, and defenders adding 3 to 5 goals each, from better corners and set pieces.

How many remember times like this ?  - Hunt takes the corner - Waterfall attacking the ball - goal !! Hunt being told where to send in the ball at speed ! Great to see ! More, please !

Chesterfield proved last year that a season can be ruined by one significant injury to a main goalscorer !

We also need to be brave enough to shoot on target, or look ouf for the better placed player for the tap in !

If Lloyd can be signed and then got 12 to 15 goals over the season , I would be happy.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 10, 2023, 11:39am; Reply: 2
The Hunt corner onto Waterfalls head was against Bananarama league defenders, different level of ability against this season. Also will be interesting to see how the Wrexham throw goes against better players most weeks
Posted by: ska face, May 10, 2023, 12:12pm; Reply: 3
The “20 goal a season striker” is basically just shorthand for a striker who’s clinical when in decent positions. The @gtfcFanalytics account has done a lot of work around our xG (expected goals) from open play and we rank 3rd in the division. This suggests (as is evident to anyone watching) that we’re wasteful when in decent positions.

When we’re in & around the box, you want the ball falling to someone a bit more composed than a Bim Pepple, a winger or a midfielder.

Of the 17 games we’ve lost, 9 were by a single goal and we also drew 13 games this season. Even if you get someone who scores 12-15, but can do so at important times of games like when we’re on top, or 1 up and looking to close the game out, how many points could that end up winning you in the long run? Turn 5 draws into wins and 5 single-goal defeats into draws and you’re looking at another 15 points - playoff territory.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 10, 2023, 3:54pm; Reply: 4
We should consider bringing Bogle back this summer.......
Posted by: toontown, May 10, 2023, 10:20pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Madeleymariner
The Hunt corner onto Waterfalls head was against Bananarama league defenders, different level of ability against this season. Also will be interesting to see how the Wrexham throw goes against better players most weeks

Yeah it's been really noticeable how Waterfall, imperious in the air at both ends at NL level, is still good in the air when defending but has found it much more difficult attacking aerially at set pieces when up against the oppo central defenders.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, May 11, 2023, 12:36am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Seem to remember Cheltenham scored plenty of goals from the long throw by Ben Tozer.
Posted by: Maringer, May 11, 2023, 8:55am; Reply: 7
A lot of the teams in this division are seriously massive, with barely a single player under 6 feet tall, so that will have made a difference this season. I know that some of the National League teams were pretty big, up and at 'em teams, but I don't recall quite as much height.

In fact, have we faced a single team this year where we had a general advantage in height?

I do also think the delivery from many of our set pieces has been pretty poor as well, of course.

I expect Hollywood FC to remain a big threat from set pieces next season as it's how Parkinson likes to play. They can pay the money for the players to put the ball in the box effectively and pay the money for the players who are good at winning the ball in the box.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 11, 2023, 4:09pm; Reply: 8
We should consider bringing Bogle back this summer.......

Omar Bugiel has been released by Sutton!  ;)
Print page generated: May 20, 2024, 8:13pm