This thread currently has 4,771 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
November 22, 2017, 10:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Just to try and get something a tad different from everything else surrounding the club at the moment.

Have you ever watched Town abroad? I count Ireland and Scotland in this category, and what were your views on the games and the trips? Would you like the club to go down this route again?

For my sins I went to the Danish and Swedish pre season tours at the start of the Millenium and had a fantastic time at both. Met some great travelling Town fans, sunk a few beers, took a few penalties on the pitch pre game at Herfolge with other fans. Great countries, great people, superb beers. In Sweden the sun never stopped shining, in Denmark it p1ssed it down for a fair bit of the trip. Highlight of the Sweden trip, for me, was the games against Trelleborgs Kombination where, upon entry to the ground, you were greeted by a jazz band, barbeque and open air bar immediately you got in there. With excellent weatehr it was the perfect enivronment for watching football.

Have been on both the Ireland tours, although I could only visit one ground each time.

Linfield - scary place. To get there from my b&b had to go down a dimly lit street where every other house had King Billy flags or red hand of Ulster flags hanging outside. As I was doing a bit of scouting for the club (in the south west of Scotland) at the time, Arthur Mann told me to meet him outside the ground. I got my ticket to watch the game in a huge box which seemed to cover the whole of one end. Saw the game in (mainly) total silence having been advised it would be best to do so as I'm nearly 6 foot 3 and had very short hair then and was advised I'd be mistaken for a squaddie. This was prior to the peace process and they were words I took very seriously - until Mendonca scored late on in the game to make it 2-0 and I gave a rather muted "yay!" only to see everybody's heads turn to look at me. That's when you noticed the Long Kesh tattoos etc. Next time they got a corner and they had taken their minds off me I downed my large Bushmills quickly and left unannounced.

Following season went to the game at Cliftonville. Got to the ground in a taxi with my eldest son, both resplendent in our Town tops. As the car pulls up this huge bloke comes running over to the car and pulls the door open. I immediately think "Oh, phuck, here we go" and he said "Are you Grimsby?" Think the shirts may have been a giveaway! He said to follow him and he led us into their social club which was heaving with their fans, and they all got up and clapped us to the bar! Was absolutely gobsmacked, but was told they were just so glad that fans were prepared to come to the ground after the Troubles had just recently finished and the official peace process was up and running. Had rinks bought us and a great time. Upon entering the ground sat next to my old mate Sid Woodhead and we were kept being given hassle by some local feral youths, until a committee man came over and asked if everything was okay. We told him what was happening and he said leave it to him. He went and had a word with a small unassuming guy a few seats down and he went and spoke to them. They literally shat themsleves and went very quickly, never to be seen again. We were later told he was a provo.

In Scotland, have seen the Town at Queen of the South, Stirling Albion and East Fife (I think Steve Archibald had just come back from Barcelona to manage them!)

I love the travels to grounds you never usually get the chance to go with such friendlies. Gave the Spanish trip, the season after Denmark, as I thought it ws probably just a recipe for trouble. Wish I'd gone now, of course, but there you go.

Any other tales?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
1mickylyons
November 22, 2017, 10:30am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
Great stories JDT.Never seen town abroad the closest I suppose I got was Barnsley in the anglo Italian cup.We were winning 0-1 in the pouring rain and the 200 or so town fans gave a rousing rendition of que sera sera whatever will be will be were going to Italy then as usual after the joy came the pain and we lost 2-1
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
londonmariner2
November 22, 2017, 11:01am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -24
Gold Stars: 1
I saw them play somewhere near Malmo in Sweden one preseason.
I remember seeing Livvo and Gallimore and a few others having a few in the main square in Malmo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
RoboCod
November 22, 2017, 11:03am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Never actually watched Town abroad, getting commentary is my finest achievement.
Though back in 2014 on holiday was a fun match day.
We'd just sat down in a cafe in Barcelona to grab some food after a day out and about and I couldn't get a signal to check the scores. I asked the missus and she got them on her phone and read out "Gateshead 1 - Grimsby 6 "......I now ashamedly admit I said "No, think you've got that wrong love...read it again", so gobsmacked was I at getting six away goals, especially at that place.

And as a bonus that cheat Baxter scored an OG

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
jock dock tower
November 22, 2017, 11:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from londonmariner2
I saw them play somewhere near Malmo in Sweden one preseason.
I remember seeing Livvo and Gallimore and a few others having a few in the main square in Malmo

I was there that day.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
grimsby pete
November 22, 2017, 12:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Not abroad but I have been to exotic places like Histon, Braintree Ebbsfleet ect ect,

I do not wish to return to them though..

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
grimps
November 22, 2017, 12:52pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,994
Gold Stars: 46
I've streamed them in Iraq , Nigeria , Siberia Equatorial Guinea and various other excrement holes of the world , I watched the Wembley play off promotion when I was In Iraq  via facetime from my sisters house as I coulnt get the stream to work
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
Mariner Ronnie
November 22, 2017, 12:54pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Closest to abroad I’ve seen them was in Wrexham & Newport.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
Mariner Ronnie
November 22, 2017, 12:55pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from grimps
I've streamed them in Iraq , Nigeria , Siberia Equatorial Guinea and various other excrement holes of the world , I watched the Wembley play off promotion when I was In Iraq  via facetime from my sisters house as I coulnt get the stream to work

Army?

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
grimps
November 22, 2017, 1:04pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,994
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Army?

Nope !
I come from a long line of cowards
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Exotic places watching Town

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.