TAGG
November 21, 2017, 11:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from jimgtfc
Yep Summerfield had a stormer. Sorry to the haters (if there’s any left) but he’s quickly becoming a bit of a cult hero of mine.

I was one that wasnt his greatest fan but agree with you 100%
He has the odd rick every game but makes up for it in spades.
My player of the season so far.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 73
Grimbiggs
November 21, 2017, 11:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Quoted from ginnywings

I think you are right. I was thinking about Jones contribution with the turn and shot, but it was Ozzy who whipped it in to Jones. Apologies.

No probs, we all get caught up in the moment at times, nice to be jubilant for a change, it's a long time since we've seen decent attacking football...Pace, Power and Desire, more of the same please...UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 73
mimma
November 21, 2017, 11:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
Will the real Grimsby Town please stand up? At last a football match breaks out at Blundell Park. Is this a one off or have we turned the corner? First half it was Town V their keeper, everything we hit at the goal he got in the way of. Matt was the difference. He never gave their defence a moments rest, and was a constant thorn in their side. Suddenly we had runners from midfield, and we also looked dangerous on the wings. I just hope that this is how we play from now on and don't retreat back into our shell. Summerfield MOTM. He was everywhere, breaking up attacks and moving the ball quickly forward with sublime first time balls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 73
sydney
November 21, 2017, 11:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
So there u have it
That’s what we can do
Great Desire Great Performance
Brilliant well done to all
It perhaps would make v good sense to start with the same 11 RS on sat , I think they deserve it..
That’s the level we need to be at
MOM - Davies
See you Saturday
Come on Town!! 😃😃

Oh and sorry to those who stayed away tonight!!
You missed a good one..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 73
TAGG
November 22, 2017, 12:01am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 73
Croxton
November 22, 2017, 12:07am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Man of the season so far? Summerfield for reasons stated above.
What an opportunity missed again to fill the ground with kids. I  'stuck my kneb ' in Cobra on the way out and asked a young Dad what he had paid for his two young lads. Five pounds each plus his own ticket. Like I said on another thread, let's monetise home and away stubs where FL rules allow and get the average age down. Are we a community club or not?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 73
promotion plaice
November 22, 2017, 12:12am

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,956
Gold Stars: 189

I turned up tonight with trepidation and wasn't particularly looking forward to the game to be honest.

How on earth we where losing at half-time is beyond me, great shift put in by all the players and they never let their heads drop even when we conceded the quick 2 goals.

UTM

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 73
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 22, 2017, 12:15am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
Just home after a couple of celebratory beers and the best game at BP this season & easy to say afterwards but had we lost or drawn that game I would have returned happy as we actually played good football throughout the game.

The added pace of Mills and Davies at left back with the young wingers made such a difference and I lost count of the number of quality crosses that were put in tonight. What a difference it makes when we play football we all come home happy.

Would agree with all comments about the star performers tonight but disagree with those who are critical of Rose. I accept he gives away what appear needless fouls, but he breaks up play, gets amongst the opposition and is much more mobile than Berrettt although his distribution is eratic. Main difference is that is the second time he has scored the winning goal, also doing so against Crewe, and that just gives us more threat as he likes to get in the oposition's area.

Good night, excellent game and only negative is to find Akinde is fit after missing several months and that bloke has a habit of scoring against us, however, a win Saturday would see us in a nice league position as we approach Christmas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 73
Tommy
November 22, 2017, 1:05am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Really entertaining stuff.

2 changes but there also looked to be a tactical change to me too.
Could argue only slight positional changes to the 442 but with Jones more withdrawn in a no.10 role and the wingers nice and high, it appeared for much of the game that we were 4-2-3-1.

Good first half and we were unlucky to be 2-1 at the break. Matt proving to be a handful and much more of a mobile target than Vernon and took his goal well. Jones made the goal out of nothing really and played as well as he has done this season retaining the ball much better and picking it up in good areas rather than right up top with a centre-back up his bottom.

Wonder strike for the equaliser but why was Summerfield the one closing down the goalscorer when he had to run across 20 yards to get to him. Someone else closer should've gone out to him and stopped the shot.

Absolute howler from Macca for their 2nd. It didn't even have any power on it after flicking off Matt's head.

Stuck at it second half despite it getting a bit scrappy, particularly middle third of the half. Gamesmanship tactics from Swindon and us unable to find that quality to get back on top for a sustained period of pressure.

A key thing for me was DJ swapping over to the left. He looks more effective on the left to me. Can come inside onto his right but he's also more than happy to go on the outside so the full back doesn't know what to do. He set the equaliser up from a run and cross from the left and had more success on that side too. Good composed finish from Dembele with plenty of bodied between him and the goal.
Then a deserved winner with a central midfielder being our most advanced player tapping in after Jones showed good feet to get his shot off and, more importantly, get it on target to force the save/parry.

We just looked like a proper football team tonight. 2 flying wingers going forward. Matt a real nuisance up front and their defence never really got to grips with him. Jones dropping into areas and picking up the ball.

Summerfield buzzing all over the pitch showing a very good range of passing, often with first time balls. His delivery from corners was excellent and that cross he put in after bursting forward inside right channel where Jones nearly scored was brilliant.

Davies excellent again at left back and Mills read the game really well and was much better with his quality of delivery into the box, particularly early on. Plenty of good blocks from the centre backs who were pretty comfortable really.

Same again next game please Russ.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 73
OneLove
November 22, 2017, 6:36am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
On a serious note, 18 games for a good performance to start since Chesterfield away. I still won't be buzzing to get back to watch town in a hurry, as much as it guts me, through thick and thin as they say, still not convinced by Slade, Wilko and Fenty. Hope this bites me on the bottom!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.