Grimbiggs
November 21, 2017, 10:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
Quoted from ginnywings

You sure about that?

That's how I saw it at the time, if the small details are wrong, feel free to correct me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 73
headingly_mariner
November 21, 2017, 10:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
That really was a cracker. So positive from the off. It was thoroughly entertaining and I thought Swindon were one of the better teams we played this season.

Matt was the star for me. It's just a shame the crowd was so low.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 73
ginnywings
November 21, 2017, 10:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Grimbiggs

That's how I saw it at the time, if the small details are wrong, feel free to correct me

I think you are right. I was thinking about Jones contribution with the turn and shot, but it was Ozzy who whipped it in to Jones. Apologies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 73
Grim up north
November 21, 2017, 11:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 1
Can't believe Summerfield hasn't had more praise as his all round game was fantastic tonight . Mills and Davies put in enough quality balls to win three games and Dj is gaining the confidence that comes with regular games.Jones and Matt pressed and chased everything , for me the only slight negatives are Dembele should be 10 yards further up the pitch to hit teams were it hurts more and leave him in the centre circle when we're defending corners etc as teams won't risk leaving less than two players marking him if the ball breaks.
All in it was a cracker tonight well played you stripes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 73
TAGG
November 21, 2017, 11:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,961
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from LH
Good performances all over despite McKeown’s clanger. Who’d have thought an attacking selection would bring goals?

Hearty applause from Fenty and another director tonight when the attendance was read out.

Is this a urine take???
Less than 3k and they are over the moon.
Fukin bizarre

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 73
ginnywings
November 21, 2017, 11:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Grim up north
Can't believe Summerfield hasn't had more praise as his all round game was fantastic tonight . Mills and Davies put in enough quality balls to win three games and Dj is gaining the confidence that comes with regular games.Jones and Matt pressed and chased everything , for me the only slight negatives are Dembele should be 10 yards further up the pitch to hit teams were it hurts more and leave him in the centre circle when we're defending corners etc as teams won't risk leaving less than two players marking him if the ball breaks.
All in it was a cracker tonight well played you stripes.

We all agreed that Summerfield was excellent tonight and our collective man of the match.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 73
jimgtfc
November 21, 2017, 11:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,068
Gold Stars: 44
Yep Summerfield had a stormer. Sorry to the haters (if there’s any left) but he’s quickly becoming a bit of a cult hero of mine.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 73
AndyDarloFC
November 21, 2017, 11:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Well done lads; kick on now and get another positive result at Barnet this weekend.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 73
HertsGTFC
November 21, 2017, 11:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,882
Gold Stars: 227
Glad I made the trip as I don't usually get to mid week games at BP, Felt like an old style  proper BP night game for a change. Town go ahead, town get pulled back and Town go behind before half time despite playing with the ball on the deck and actually passing it to get us up field, more importantly we tested their keeper on a number of occasions as well as getting that long overdue goal.  

To be honest I thought we would come out and  get a point but Swindon actually did a decent job in breaking up any momentum but credit to the lads as they stuck to the task and got a well deserved win. All 3 of our goals started from the left where we looked much stronger and to be honest where pretty badly defended by them as well. The grand stand finish really added to the entertainment.

Macca, howler for the 2nd classic James to be honest tonight as he followed it up with a great save at 2 -2 . Davis had a great game defied his age and possibly saved 2 points at the end, Mills looked like he's hitting form and both CB's where solid. thought the balance across the middle worked well and we moved the ball both left to right and forward Summerfield did lots of work again, Rose is clearly working back to full fitness and the 2 young lads out wide need to be retained as they where involved in moments that helped win the game. Jones was MOM for me and again made a difference where it counted for the 1st and 3rd, Matt took his goal well and looked to cause them problems all night, small cameo and quality from Osborne helped provide the winner.

So overall the manager got it right the team got it right and got what they deserved through application, graft and trying to play football - The best team won, well done Town.

UTM!

P.S. bit worried though as RS said on RH that Woolford should be fit for Saturday, please don't change a winning side now please Russ.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 73
Maringer
November 21, 2017, 11:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Very entertaining tonight, though a game of two halves to some degree. We were so much on top in the first half that it was a travesty we were losing at half-time. Their keeper made, 4 or 5 really good saves to keep them in it and, of course, McKeown made an almighty balls-up to give them the lead.

I don't think there should be too much criticism for the defence for their first goal. It was just bad luck that the ball looped back and to their player from Summerfield's challenge with all our midfielders out of the game and this left lots of space for their player to run into - the defence didn't exactly back off him though could perhaps have closed him down a little more quickly. Absolutely unstoppable shot after that.

They just couldn't deal with Matt in the first half and this earned Jones lots of good possession in midfield and he played some good stuff, with excellent play for our opening goal. Good crosses from both full-backs all night and I have to say that I think Davies has played better on the left in the past couple of games than he has on the right. Big difference today was that we moved the ball out wide so much more quickly and both wingers caused them problems, even though they didn't get past their man too often. Good interchange between full-backs and wingers meant that all four managed to get some dangerous balls into the box.

Summerfield good again tonight but, for me, Rose is in and out of the game too much and it tends to pass him by quite a bit. In the right place to get the goal tonight, however, and we certainly need goals from the central midfielders.

They looked a much better team in the second half than the first as their defence got to grips with Matt and this starved Jones of possession. Their three nippy attackers playing alongside the big lump of a forward began to cause us some problems and McKeown atoned for his first half blunder with a very good block at the start of the second half (which the officials decided was a goal-kick, one of a few they got wrong) as they broke in numbers. I'd be surprised if they weren't up there come the end of the season.

Good persistence by us, however and great work by Jaiyesimi to create the chance for Dembele which he finished off really well with lots of players rushing in trying to block. A couple of lovely touches from Osbourne when he came on, one of which set up the shooting chance for Jones from which the winner came. Bodes well for the future when he's back to full fitness.

We did ride our luck a bit in the second half as they were threatening from set pieces. I'm not entirely sure that the one which hit the woodwork would have gone in even if Davies hadn't got involved? That's only from one viewing, however, so perhaps the replay shows something different.

One thing I'll say is that, good as the wingers were, they are lacking in something at the moment - I suppose you'd call it game craft. Both lost possession unnecessarily in dangerous positions on a number of occasions in the second half which set up counter-attacks for the opposition or led to free-kicks giving them the opportunity to put the ball into our box. Trying to beat your man is all well and good, but only if it's safe to do so and there is cover if you're dispossessed.

If we'd played similarly to that in the past few games, I don't doubt we'd have a good few more points on the board, so let's hope the win gives the players the confidence to push on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.