barralad
November 21, 2017, 12:08am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not blaming you for this, but don't you think that this relationship is at its' lowest ebb. I've followed Town for nearly 50 years and can never remember (might be my age!) the atmosphere so toxic and such a lack of mutual trust & respect.

For a very large part of that 50 years we weren't "blessed" with Social Media. My first season was the 1968/69 re-election season and people really did vote with their feet.
As for toxicity surely your memory isn't so bad that you cannot remember Halifax away in 2015/16 when a thread which misrepresented what the manager said appeared on here? Or the atmosphere after Braintree at home in the play-offs when, 90 minutes from a Wembley appearance a director (Lee Mullen) had to go and remove a "Hurst Out" banner from the flyover and there were serious calls to have Hurst sacked before the second leg?
This football website which used to stand out head and shoulders over most others of the type (if not all) has become over the last couple of weeks a byword for what can only be described as mass hysteria. It is barely worth taking the trouble to start a new thread (unless of course it is anti-GTFC establishment). There cannot be anyone within the boundaries of North East Lincs (and well beyond that as it happens) who doesn't "get" that there is unrest about the way the club is heading. I doubt you will find one single Town fan who is remotely happy about not having seen a goal in the League at home since September 26th. I have a few health problems at the moment and couldn't make the game on Saturday but I can't exactly say that I was looking forward to the event!! I wouldn't dream of criticising people's right to express their views but the sustained misery is driving some pretty decent posters away. There is no humour on here anymore-not even gallows humour and without it the Fishy drops to the same level as those that we regularly poke fun at for me.
Next Tuesday with the Fans Forum represents the best possible chance to start building bridges. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that JF will "rig" the questions and even less that The Trust would allow it. If the situation is as bad as some think then McMenemy's should be packed to the rafters next Tuesday. At the risk of being lambasted (not that at the moment I'm really bothered) J.F. merits some credit for agreeing to take part in this event at a time when it would be so easy to hide away and pull up the drawbridge

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 117
sonik
November 21, 2017, 1:46am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from barralad

For a very large part of that 50 years we weren't "blessed" with Social Media. My first season was the 1968/69 re-election season and people really did vote with their feet.
As for toxicity surely your memory isn't so bad that you cannot remember Halifax away in 2015/16 when a thread which misrepresented what the manager said appeared on here? Or the atmosphere after Braintree at home in the play-offs when, 90 minutes from a Wembley appearance a director (Lee Mullen) had to go and remove a "Hurst Out" banner from the flyover and there were serious calls to have Hurst sacked before the second leg?
This football website which used to stand out head and shoulders over most others of the type (if not all) has become over the last couple of weeks a byword for what can only be described as mass hysteria. It is barely worth taking the trouble to start a new thread (unless of course it is anti-GTFC establishment). There cannot be anyone within the boundaries of North East Lincs (and well beyond that as it happens) who doesn't "get" that there is unrest about the way the club is heading. I doubt you will find one single Town fan who is remotely happy about not having seen a goal in the League at home since September 26th. I have a few health problems at the moment and couldn't make the game on Saturday but I can't exactly say that I was looking forward to the event!! I wouldn't dream of criticising people's right to express their views but the sustained misery is driving some pretty decent posters away. There is no humour on here anymore-not even gallows humour and without it the Fishy drops to the same level as those that we regularly poke fun at for me.
Next Tuesday with the Fans Forum represents the best possible chance to start building bridges. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that JF will "rig" the questions and even less that The Trust would allow it. If the situation is as bad as some think then McMenemy's should be packed to the rafters next Tuesday. At the risk of being lambasted (not that at the moment I'm really bothered) J.F. merits some credit for agreeing to take part in this event at a time when it would be so easy to hide away and pull up the drawbridge

A well thought out post Ian. Spot on!

UTM!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 117
pizzzza
November 21, 2017, 5:34am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,659
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from barralad

when it would be so easy to hide away and pull up the drawbridge

Rather he do this than come out with his nonsense statements which started this whole chain of events in the first place!
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 117
pizzzza
November 21, 2017, 5:36am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,659
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from Ipswin

Sadly I don't think the Trust has the balls and is not prepared to go into bat for the fans and take Fenty on. Shame as they are the only ones in a position to do so albeit through a less than powerful seat on the board. I feel they are constantly on the fence and scared stiff of upsetting Fenty so if they are going to fall either way it will be on his side. Toothless.

What you're saying is that The Trust is not fit for purpose, maybe a change at the top is required. Any takers?
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 117
Mrs Doyle
November 21, 2017, 7:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from bax
Pete - why so aggressive?

As I explained the Trust isn’t there to get involved in staff contracts. I am sure the board members know but again it’s not in my gift to ask them about the private details of peoples contracts.

I am sure if someone asks the question at the fans forum you’ll get the correct answer.

Err....................... when a director makes a public statment and calls you an idiot by name yes I can see why Pete is agressive.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 117
barralad
November 21, 2017, 7:18am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from pizzzza

What you're saying is that The Trust is not fit for purpose, maybe a change at the top is required. Any takers?

Good luck with that then. We are less than a month since an A.G.M. which was an ideal opportunity for new blood to bring some new ideas to the table. There has been criticism of the Trust's role on here for some time but whenever an opportunity to make things better comes along such as the Open Meeting (incidentally held on a Saturday to increase inclusivity) the response is typically lukewarm. I have a real fear that the Fans Forum will once again be reliant on what are disparagingly described on here as pointless questions about the likes of flasks because those who feel strongest cannot see that it is an opportunity to speak directly to the person (with the aid of the local arm of a national broadcaster) who allegedly makes all the decisions. The Fishy rightly or wrongly likes to see itself as being at the cutting edge of fans opinion. The role played by people on here in not only starting Operation Promotion but throughout its duration keeping it in the limelight cannot be underestimated  but the Fishy is in danger of being seen as a vehicle for people who just want to moan.
I've never hidden behind my keyboard and talk to people regularly about all things GTFC. Guess what? The only topics of conversation are about facilities, the new ground and the apparent lack of success on the pitch. There are hundreds probably thousands of fans who go nowhere near this website. I'm not defending the comments made but what I am saying is that in the rarified atmosphere that is The Fishy they have been greatly magnified. Perhaps I just don't understand social media.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 117
Mariner Ronnie
November 21, 2017, 8:00am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from barralad

I couldn’t of worded that better. 👍🏼

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 117
dapperz fun pub
November 21, 2017, 8:14am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
No humour on the fishy combined with mass hysteria ...the last twenty years have been diabolical I refuse to accept the Wembley appearances in non league as real success or any of the non league stuff. Tonight’s gate will reflect the mood,social media just gets it out there quicker what the fans are thinking / saying it doesn’t distort the facts we are a club that needs change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 117
TAGG
November 21, 2017, 8:22am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Quoted from barralad

The Hurst thing was about fans being drunk about being stuck in the wilderness of non league.
What you see now is more about the disconnect between the great leader and us plebs that go to the watch his team.
It is a fact that under Fentys tenure that GTFC has had nothing but failure and the fans on here can’t see any light at the end of the tunnel.
Please please Fenty go now.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 117
barralad
November 21, 2017, 8:41am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
No humour on the fishy combined with mass hysteria ...the last twenty years have been diabolical I refuse to accept the Wembley appearances in non league as real success or any of the non league stuff. Tonight’s gate will reflect the mood,social media just gets it out there quicker what the fans are thinking / saying it doesn’t distort the facts we are a club that needs change.

I'll save you a seat on the front row for next Tuesday then Dappers...
At some point sooner rather than later the club and fans are going to have to re-engage otherwise the very thing we all want to avoid becomes more a probability than merely a possibility.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 117
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Question for the Trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.