Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So Slade goes.....who’s in?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 143 Guests

So Slade goes.....who’s in?

This thread currently has 15,261 views. Print
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
heppy88
November 19, 2017, 6:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,069
Gold Stars: 40
It’s not a case of who would be the best person for the job in a footballing sense. Otherwise let’s face it Slade would not have got a look in. No, Fenty will be looking for an individual that won’t challenge him, belittle him, expose him. He will want someone who will be compliant, a yes man and whose ego won’t compete with his. So finding a manager with the potential for success, will be a challenge, whilst Fenty still holds the reins.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 105
MuddyWaters
November 19, 2017, 6:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,881
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from heppy88
It’s not a case of who would be the best person for the job in a footballing sense. Otherwise let’s face it Slade would not have got a look in. No, Fenty will be looking for an individual that won’t challenge him, belittle him, expose him. He will want someone who will be compliant, a yes man and whose ego won’t compete with his. So finding a manager with the potential for success, will be a challenge, whilst Fenty still holds the reins.

It's clear that Fenty needs to appoint a manager he can control. The two that he couldn't both ended in hasty dismissals (Bignot & Newell) - both expressed opinions that the club needed to change, both soon departed.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 105
HertsGTFC
November 19, 2017, 7:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It's clear that Fenty needs to appoint a manager he can control. The two that he couldn't both ended in hasty dismissals (Bignot & Newell) - both expressed opinions that the club needed to change, both soon departed.

Newell had more than enough time to fcuk things up, Bignot did not need that much time as his "not enough technical ability in the squad" comment made in week 1 meant the players disengaged very early in his tenure.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 105
golfer
November 19, 2017, 7:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
Quoted from lee65

Apologies, not actually seen it stated anywhere previously, and do you mean £138k per year? (which seems high), or over four years? (Which seems very low?, unless that is just some kind of basic retainer)

£138K per year for 4years    P.S.   Herts-you will be receiving a formal letter in due course outlining the  action I intend to take against you- you know how good I am although your soliciting skills with the Riby Square click are very well known  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 105
HertsGTFC
November 19, 2017, 8:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from golfer

£138K per year for 4years    P.S.   Herts-you will be receiving a formal letter in due course outlining the  action I intend to take against you- you know how good I am although your soliciting skills with the Riby Square click are very well known  

Bring it on

Golfer, you bring a refreshing daftness to this board my friend, please don't stop

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 105
lee65
November 19, 2017, 8:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Thank you Golfer.

If you are correct about the £138k per year then certainly no chance of a swift exit for Russ
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 105
ginnywings
November 19, 2017, 8:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
It can't be £138k per year, it just can't. That's madness at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 105
sonofmadeleymariner
November 19, 2017, 9:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
The Club needs to change they way it does everything, I'm not just talking about appointing a new manager, I mean everything. PR, recruitment, new stadium, advertisement, mind set, boardroom everything. The club feels old, left behind when Bignot came in it felt like changes were coming in all areas drawing the club out of its shell, but since he's gone, we've retreeted back inside our shell, put on the comfy slippers, turned the heating on and sitting in our favourite seat watching the same comedy reruns we've all watched a million times.

I've said this before on other threads and I still stand by it.
As for manager, being on the manager merry go round will get us relelgated agin or just leave us stagnating even more in League 2. Maybe nows the time to try something new, recruit someone like Robbie Stockdale (no this isn't a bring back a former player suggestion his name comes to mind because of thje example he can set for my arguement), well thought of Youth coach who has on multiple occasions taken control of Sunderlands senior team when they've sacked a manger and even did a good job with our first team after Woods was sacked going 2, 1 and 1 with his results. Of course it would be any coach/assistant manager who is well thought of at their club.

The other way to go is to look abroad somewhere like Germany and bring in a coach/assistant manager who has plied his trade in a good, well structured league set up, someone who will make changes to how we play, how we train etc.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 105
HertsGTFC
November 19, 2017, 11:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
The Club needs to change they way it does everything, I'm not just talking about appointing a new manager, I mean everything. PR, recruitment, new stadium, advertisement, mind set, boardroom everything. The club feels old, left behind when Bignot came in it felt like changes were coming in all areas drawing the club out of its shell, but since he's gone, we've retreeted back inside our shell, put on the comfy slippers, turned the heating on and sitting in our favourite seat watching the same comedy reruns we've all watched a million times.

I've said this before on other threads and I still stand by it.
As for manager, being on the manager merry go round will get us relelgated agin or just leave us stagnating even more in League 2. Maybe nows the time to try something new, recruit someone like Robbie Stockdale (no this isn't a bring back a former player suggestion his name comes to mind because of thje example he can set for my arguement), well thought of Youth coach who has on multiple occasions taken control of Sunderlands senior team when they've sacked a manger and even did a good job with our first team after Woods was sacked going 2, 1 and 1 with his results. Of course it would be any coach/assistant manager who is well thought of at their club.

The other way to go is to look abroad somewhere like Germany and bring in a coach/assistant manager who has plied his trade in a good, well structured league set up, someone who will make changes to how we play, how we train etc.

Dream on, why the fcuk would a manager who has done well abroad come to us?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 105
EY Mariner
November 20, 2017, 8:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +865
Gold Stars: 5

I think that is absolutely spot on. Sadly, however, nothing will change in that respect until and unless parties come forward and give Mr Fenty what he wants to go. If that hasn't been clear before now, then the anti-public relations of the last week or so should have opened people's eyes to the reality.

Turning to the managerial question, I never wanted Russell Slade back in the first place and, even if he has been handicapped by tight budgets and things like that, I don't think anybody can realistically argue that he is getting the best out of the squad he has. If there is to be a change of manager in the near future, then I would prefer us to go for an up and coming manager rather than one who has been on the league merry-go-round. But, if Slade does go, I'm sure there will be many people in football who would feel, as I do, that we'd be getting what we deserve for the shabby way that we treated Marcus Bignot. Whatever misgivings one could legitimately have about his methods, he should have been given longer. The decision to bin him in the manner we did may make it that much harder to recruit the sort of manager we need should a vacancy arise.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 105
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So Slade goes.....who’s in?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.