Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Club youtube video ~(How We Were Promoted)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 12 Guests

Club youtube video ~(How We Were Promoted)

This thread currently has 24,093 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
June 5, 2016, 11:40am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from Les Brechin

Colchester instead next season Pete!

Yes really looking forward to seeing their new ground from the inside Les,

You can see it from the A12 but I have not been inside yet.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
Freemoash88
June 5, 2016, 12:55pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +893
Gold Stars: 2
Brings a tear to my eye everytime.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
barralad
June 5, 2016, 6:41pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
The video is probably the best video I've ever seen concerning Grimsby Town. Massive kudos to the club for producing it.

In many ways the victory at Braintree was a greater achievement than the Wembley game. From talking to people who went to the game the turn out was more a show of defiance than a genuine belief that we could do it. We all hoped but as the commentator says the odds were stacked against us historically and in terms of (very) recent encounters between the two sides.
There are many game defining moments in football. The penalty decision and Podge's gleeful execution must rank as one of Town's all time defining moments. The result was staggering. Braintree's heads dropped. The tiredness experienced by part timers asked to play two massive games in four days (with work for some in the intervening period), which had been held at bay for the whole time they maintained a 1-0 advantage came flooding out. The mood amongst the Town fans changed in the instant Podge's penalty hit the net. I cannot put into words how but from that moment I knew Town would win. To me it didn't matter that they had a player sent off. Bogle's goal though fantastic, with the best celebrations (up to that point) I can remember in 50 years of watching my team was somehow incidental.
At Wembley I didn't speak to a single person in the lead up to the game who didn't think Town would win. From early on it was obvious that the same team that turned up at Braintree had come to Wembley. That's not to say there wasn't tension. The beauty of the video is that you remember how you felt when the first goal went in, followed so quickly by the second. The tension ramped up after their excellent goal and you wondered whether even then the game could be snatched away..again. I will never, ever be able to describe the feeling when Arnold stuck the third away. The realisation that we'd done it made me just stand there yelling "f**king yes!" again and again I fell over the seat in front of me because the person sat there had left early!!! This video brings it back as though it was still going on. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen it....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
Mariner_09
June 5, 2016, 10:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Watched it 3 or 4 times already. The BT Sport bit about writing us off is actually a microcosm of our fans after Braintree. "We'll never get out this league with Hurst in charge"

After nearly a month to reflect the joy has now really sunk in. I've made an edit of 5 seconds for Arnold's goal and I just love it. Finally after 11 years of watching town fail and fail again I finally saw some success! Sadly for my own sake I wasn't here to witness Mendonc, Donavon, Gilbert, Childs, Groves, Davison, Crichton, Drinkell, Waters, Drinkell, Ford, Moore, Handyside, Livo, Birtles and Oster. I've seen Church, Makofo and Fyfield! I doubt that when I look back hopefully in 60 years time or so I will be able to recall a greater moment of joy than the 95th Minute, Play off final, 15th May, Grimsby v FGR and that ball ricocheting off the defender and the moment before he scored that you knew he was going to and Shaun Pearson leading round a gang of players to start the celebration party! That is the happiest I've ever felt and after 6 agonising years of torture we finally suceeded, we finally got out of the league impossible to get out of.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
chaos33
June 6, 2016, 12:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from barralad
The video is probably the best video I've ever seen concerning Grimsby Town. Massive kudos to the club for producing it.

In many ways the victory at Braintree was a greater achievement than the Wembley game. From talking to people who went to the game the turn out was more a show of defiance than a genuine belief that we could do it. We all hoped but as the commentator says the odds were stacked against us historically and in terms of (very) recent encounters between the two sides.
There are many game defining moments in football. The penalty decision and Podge's gleeful execution must rank as one of Town's all time defining moments. The result was staggering. Braintree's heads dropped. The tiredness experienced by part timers asked to play two massive games in four days (with work for some in the intervening period), which had been held at bay for the whole time they maintained a 1-0 advantage came flooding out. The mood amongst the Town fans changed in the instant Podge's penalty hit the net. I cannot put into words how but from that moment I knew Town would win. To me it didn't matter that they had a player sent off. Bogle's goal though fantastic, with the best celebrations (up to that point) I can remember in 50 years of watching my team was somehow incidental.
At Wembley I didn't speak to a single person in the lead up to the game who didn't think Town would win. From early on it was obvious that the same team that turned up at Braintree had come to Wembley. That's not to say there wasn't tension. The beauty of the video is that you remember how you felt when the first goal went in, followed so quickly by the second. The tension ramped up after their excellent goal and you wondered whether even then the game could be snatched away..again. I will never, ever be able to describe the feeling when Arnold stuck the third away. The realisation that we'd done it made me just stand there yelling "f**king yes!" again and again I fell over the seat in front of me because the person sat there had left early!!! This video brings it back as though it was still going on. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen it....

Beautifully written Barra. Agree entirely.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
Bignic69
June 6, 2016, 9:35am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
About 2 mins 30 in, when Podge puts that pen away and the music kicks in I just became a mess, hairs were dancing already but at that moment I went to bits  
Fecking get a grip man

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
ginnywings
June 6, 2016, 10:30am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Agree with Barra about the confidence of Town fans. Every single fan i spoke to said we would win and all were saying by 2 or 3 goals. The one abiding memory i will have is my very drunken brother saying adamantly and repeatedly that we would win 3-1 and that FGR cannot and will not match our passion on and off the pitch. So much so that the gamblers among our group stuck bets on that score and won a fair few bob. The sight of them all kissing my brother at the end with tears in their eyes will live with me for ever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
Mrs Doyle
June 6, 2016, 4:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
The Braintree one where Boggs hit a superb curler only for the keeper to get a finger tip on it and deflect it onto the post. Podges reaction is superb he as both hands aloft celebrating lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
gtfc98
June 6, 2016, 4:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 65
Agree with the poster who mentioned the sadness that Clay and Robertson are no longer at the club. Would have been great to have given those two the chance to progress with us in League 2, but I suppose football is a cruel sport and there's no room for sentiment. Would obviously have loved to have seen Nolan too but that was out of our hands.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
barralad
June 6, 2016, 4:54pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
The Braintree one where Boggs hit a superb curler only for the keeper to get a finger tip on it and deflect it onto the post. Podges reaction is superb he as both hands aloft celebrating lol

At the time I didn't realise the keeper had got anything on it. From the camera angle it was a goal all the way. You have to say it was an unbelievable save...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Club youtube video ~(How We Were Promoted)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.