Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Search Results - Recent posts as of less than a minute ago
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 »
Showing 1 - 30 (100 results found)
Meanwhile, up in Scotland......   (reply) Posted by: BarkerDan10
Date Posted: 2 hours ago
Fantastic result, I follow the West of Scotland league due to my dad living in Largs, not too far from Largs Thistle’s ground and it’s a fantastic result not just for Auchinleck but for football in Ayrshire and the junior football scene in Scotland as a whole.
Do we bring in a keeper ?   (reply) Posted by: toontown
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 11:33pm
The whole point of paying Russell's wages as reserve keeper is for situations like this, so no we shouldn't be signing a keeper
Harry Cardwell   (reply) Posted by: Zmariner
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 11:33pm
Offensively we are rubbish. The statistics over the full season show this. Okay Cardwell was not great today but he has had some decent games and absolutely gives his best. Finding strikers is the hardest part and I see that Jolley is creating a strong spine to this team but is struggling as have previous managers to find creativity. I do hope he brings in a winger that can’t beat a man and a bigger forward and it is certainly much easier to bring the winner in utm
Harry Cardwell   (reply) Posted by: HertsGTFC
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 11:32pm
Quoted from promotion plaice

I hate threads like this that target certain players for criticism.....his confidence will be shot if he reads the fishy tonight  

I’d be amazed if he actually knew The Fishy exists, I’m sure he had better things to do with his Saturday nights!
Harry Cardwell   (reply) Posted by: grimsby pete
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 11:15pm
Quoted from promotion plaice

I hate threads like this that target certain players for criticism.....his confidence will be shot if he reads the fishy tonight  

Totally agree he is still young and learning his trade,

All this criticism will not be making him a better  player,

Loads on here called Andy Cook look where he is today.
Post Lincoln interview   (reply) Posted by: HertsGTFC
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 11:11pm
Quoted from The Old Codger

Well, like it or not, this January is going pretty much the same as last year.

In terms of points yes but in terms of the players playing and trusting the manager I’d suggest it’s a world if difference!
Harry Cardwell   (reply) Posted by: promotion plaice
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 11:10pm

Just back   (reply) Posted by: AdamHaddock
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 11:10pm
I'd give the young lad Burrell a go in the next game, even if it's just from the bench. Looked mobile and lively in the reserves the other day
Just back   (reply) Posted by: LH
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 11:06pm
Back hours ago. Poor contest but I don’t expect much from derby games in an aesthetical sense. Don’t think Dean got much wrong other than the ‘robust’ aerial duels he gave yellows for. Not much consistency with his bookings for time wasting though because their keeper should have gone off for a second yellow for the same offence. He is good value though I’ll give him that - he would have been brilliant in the old silent black and white films for his facial expressions.

We didn’t threaten them at all really other than the one their keeper nearly threw in and they didn’t need to move up to second gear at all after their goal. We have five (?) strikers on our books but as others have said it is undoubtedly our weak poi...

Click here to read more ...
Post Lincoln interview   (reply) Posted by: Azimuth
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:58pm
Quoted from Chrisblor

Well I mean if you read between the lines he basically did, in a very diplomatic fashion. Enjoyed his comments about Öhman's performance and the two incidents he was involved in. Will be interesting to see if there's any decent footage of them both.

Would be interesting to see photos of the aftermath of those horrific incidents, I mean perhaps the club should be respectfully asking questions as to how a player can be on the recieving end and end up with injuries that prevent him seeing out of both eyea properly, if it happened in the street it would be nothing less than an assault!
Harry Cardwell   (reply) Posted by: LH
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:56pm
I’m pretty confident that nearly every club we’ll play this season has a better playing budget than us.

With respect to Cardwell I don’t see it myself but trust MJ and AL’s judgment for the decision for the new contract. Was it a new contract for coachability or was it a change of terms because he’s featuring more regularly? I doubt we’ll find out but I can see both sides of that coin and why both parties would want it sorting.
Just back   (reply) Posted by: HertsGTFC
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:53pm

Yes,they’re ahead of us with their development but they were non league two years ago. They’ve kicked on , we haven’t....sound familiar?

Multiple Investors creating a large cash flow buffer, lucky cup draws, cup wins versus teams who are “focusing on the league” TV money on the back of all that and a manager who’s a media whore no wonder they’ve “kicked on”!

Lots of things have clicked to provide them with the budget to win this league. They only have a couple of lads on long term deals so when they go up their financial commitments will inevitably increase but their gates won’t so like the Scunts they’ll need propping up by directors to kick on again.

Harry Cardwell   (reply) Posted by: ginnywings
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:47pm
Two ways of looking at it. Lincoln currently have twice as many fans as us and loads of cup money. We can't compete with them. Pretty sure we can't compete with Crystal Palace, and it's well known that Mansfield are being well funded at the moment. So there's only really the Macc result lately that is open to the budget debate. That was just a bad day at the office, and a cup hangover with a depleted squad. We are about to play 2 more teams, who i have no doubt have much bigger budgets than us, and we could quite easily lose both of them too.

As for Cardwell, he may or may not make it in the game at this level, but the manager thinks he is worth a bit longer to find out, which is fair enough. Too early to tell for me.
Just back   (reply) Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:44pm
Felt we were worth a point over the whole match, however we need to create more chances if we are to get back into games like this. Would like Vernam or Rose to get a few starts up front.

Also would just like to add that every single one of Toffolos throw ins were “foul throws”. Stood half a yard on the pitch for most of them (including the one just before they got the corner they score from).
Harry Cardwell   (reply) Posted by: grimsby pete
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:44pm

Point I made earlier is that it’s a symptom of our budget & recruitment. The manager and the board knows whether it’s one, the other,or both. No fault of Harry Cardwell, but we need better.

I agree the problem is a proven striker costs a lot of money and even if you get one on a free their wages will be higher,

Our non chairman does not like to spend money.
Change/add-a-letter/remove-one Word Game thread...   (reply) Posted by: cmackenzie4
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:43pm
Taint
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:42pm

Point I made earlier is that it’s a symptom of our budget & recruitment. The manager and the board knows whether it’s one, the other,or both. No fault of Harry Cardwell, but we need better.

I’d completely agree with this.
Word Association Game   (reply) Posted by: cmackenzie4
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:42pm
Rate
Just back   (reply) Posted by: The Old Codger
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:38pm
Quoted from ginnywings

I'm as impatient and fed up as the next fan. God knows i've been waiting long enough to see a side that looks capable of going places, but what else can we do, other than keep waiting and keep hoping we finally have the right manager in place?

Yeah, it hurts to lose to Lincoln, but they are at least a season or more ahead of us in their development, and have way more money than we do. I didn't go to the game myself but have been told there wasn't that much in it by some that did go. Bit more experience in their ranks and they definitely got the better of the major refereeing decisions.

I'm just trying to look at it pragmatically. I've learned over the years that getting wound up about defeats i

Harry Cardwell   (reply) Posted by: The Old Codger
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:35pm
Quoted from HertsGTFC
If as people are saying he's not good enough then it should be the manager who gets stick for playing him rater than the player himself.

Personally I think that singling out a player after a defeat is a pretty cheap shot, maybe though if thats the form people should pinpoint who let Toffolo get a shot at goal today?

Just back   (reply) Posted by: promotion plaice
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:33pm

For what it's worth I thought for the little service he got........Thomas's ball control was excellent today.
Just back   (reply) Posted by: ginnywings
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:32pm

God I wish I had your patience. I’m frankly fed up with Grimsby Town playing second fiddle to the likes of Lincoln and others.

I'm as impatient and fed up as the next fan. God knows i've been waiting long enough to see a side that looks capable of going places, but what else can we do, other than keep waiting and keep hoping we finally have the right manager in place?

Yeah, it hurts to lose to Lincoln, but they are at least a season or more ahead of us in their development, and have way more money than we do. I didn't go to the game myself but have been told there wasn't that much in it by some that did go. Bit more experience in their ranks and they definitely got the better of the m...

Meanwhile, up in Scotland......   (reply) Posted by: cardiffmariner
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:32pm
Quoted from Alfie
Just me who couldn’t care less?

Appears so you miserable barsteward.
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:31pm
If as people are saying he's not good enough then it should be the manager who gets stick for playing him rater than the player himself.

Personally I think that singling out a player after a defeat is a pretty cheap shot, maybe though if thats the form people should pinpoint who let Toffolo get a shot at goal today?
Post Lincoln interview   (reply) Posted by: The Old Codger
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:28pm
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I loved the "see out of both eyes" comment.

I know the Cowley's will be stroking their pieces when they go up but in the game their antics and the way their team plays will at the very least mean they get zero respect from other managers,  

Well, like it or not, this January is going pretty much the same as last year.
Harry Cardwell   (reply) Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:24pm
Quoted from golfer
The only decent striker we have is Thomas. To be honest I can't see any other striker on the books being beneficial to us now or in the future. It is now a matter of urgency that we get somebody to work alongside Thomas. There must be somebody out there,whether permanent signings or a loanee from a higher club wanting experience. It has been our weakness for far too long and needs sorting. January is 2/3 rds over and it doesn't sound as if anything is in the pipeline.

Absolutely. If the situation is not remedied ASAP we could be in deep sh!te next month. The other worry of course is whether the side is playing in a way that will create chances for any striker. Playing deep is OK as long as you have fit and p...

Post Lincoln interview   (reply) Posted by: HertsGTFC
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:23pm
I loved the "see out of both eyes" comment.

I know the Cowley's will be stroking their pieces when they go up but in the game their antics and the way their team plays will at the very least mean they get zero respect from other managers,  
Meanwhile, up in Scotland......   (reply) Posted by: dapperz fun pub
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:23pm
Quoted from grimsby pete
I saw the result John and thought of you  

I did
Just back   (reply) Posted by: The Old Codger
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:17pm
Quoted from ginnywings

I didn't mean a striker necessarily, although i do think we need another experienced striker on the books, to cover/assist the usually excellent Thomas. We've not got much experience up top after Thomas. I think we are lacking in players who can create chances, especially in wide areas. The move back to wing backs for us has come as no surprise, and to be fair, we are still tinkering with players and formations, looking to get the right blend.

I think a lot of posts on here about us sitting too deep and not creating anything are a bit skewed. Teams like Lincoln, and most sides at the top end of any league, will push other teams back, even more so at home, and it's why they are at the top end of the league.

Harry Cardwell   (reply) Posted by: oochiad
Date Posted: January 19, 2019, 10:15pm
Vernam or Rose should play before him. He’s not enough of a threat and doesn’t worry the opposition.
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 »
Showing 1 - 30 (100 results found)

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.