Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, April 22, 2024, 7:06am
Please enter your nomination for last week (within the world of football)....
Posted by: denni266, April 22, 2024, 7:26am; Reply: 1
Fenty
Posted by: LH, April 22, 2024, 7:31am; Reply: 2
The Top 6, FA and everyone associated with the FA Cup changes.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 22, 2024, 9:00am; Reply: 3
VAR for ruining one of the great FA Cup semi finals.

Coventry nearly pulled off a miracle, yet a "winning" goal was chalked off by a toe being offside, if it was that is.

The exact millisecond moment the ball is struck is debatable. A fraction of a second either way and its a different decision.

You then have artificial lines drawn on a pitch by people we can't see, and if the line is placed a fraction of a millimetre differently you get a different outcome. If the line was a bit thicker you would get a different outcome.

In what world should that goal  and many like them be disallowed when you need that level of scrutiny ?
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 22, 2024, 9:30am; Reply: 4
VAR
Posted by: kamakazebear, April 22, 2024, 9:52am; Reply: 5
Antony for celebrating like that after barely beating a team in the league below.
Posted by: grassbandits, April 22, 2024, 10:29am; Reply: 6
Photo finish between Bruno Fernandes and Antony 🤷‍♂️
Posted by: RonMariner, April 22, 2024, 10:46am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Les Brechin
VAR

Just seen the three penalty calls that went against Forest yesterday. The VAR ref is a Luton fan that Forest tried to get changed before the game.

All three looked nailed on penalties to me.
Posted by: LH, April 22, 2024, 11:06am; Reply: 8
Man Utd were a very close second. Fernandes mouthing off to the Cov keeper after his pen, Antony’s homage to PH at Wembley, Hojlunds massive over celebration. All round they had very little shame or awareness of how embarrassing the day was for them. I think every team has a punchable player but Man Utd have maybe half a dozen.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 22, 2024, 11:21am; Reply: 9
Quoted from LH
Man Utd were a very close second. Fernandes mouthing off to the Cov keeper after his pen, Antony’s homage to PH at Wembley, Hojlunds massive over celebration. All round they had very little shame or awareness of how embarrassing the day was for them. I think every team has a punchable player but Man Utd have maybe half a dozen.

I think I'd have to punch every Man U player if I met them, even Marcus Rashford!  :)
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 22, 2024, 11:28am; Reply: 10

The Man Utd fans that left Wembley after Coventry scored in late extra time before it was ruled out by VAR.
Posted by: It Bites, April 22, 2024, 11:40am; Reply: 11
Fa and premier league. intercourse them all off and start a new league system
Posted by: Mayaman, April 22, 2024, 4:05pm; Reply: 12
VAR for ruining one of the great FA Cup semi finals.

Coventry nearly pulled off a miracle, yet a "winning" goal was chalked off by a toe being offside, if it was that is.

The exact millisecond moment the ball is struck is debatable. A fraction of a second either way and its a different decision.

You then have artificial lines drawn on a pitch by people we can't see, and if the line is placed a fraction of a millimetre differently you get a different outcome. If the line was a bit thicker you would get a different outcome.

In what world should that goal  and many like them be disallowed when you need that level of scrutiny ?

Good shout.  It's the attackers job to watch the line.  But, how is he supposed to see where his toe is in relation to the other players?   VAR is not doing much for the beautiful game.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 22, 2024, 4:16pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Mayaman

Good shout.  It's the attackers job to watch the line.  But, how is he supposed to see where his toe is in relation to the other players?   VAR is not doing much for the beautiful game.

Have to agree re the interpretation of VAR decisions make a mockery of the rules of the game and ruin the match as a spectacle. Since when was a millimetre offside giving the attacking player an unfair advantage? As an earlier poster said there has to be a bigger margin for error as they can not get precisely when the ball was kicked.

For me the offside rule should require clear daylight between the attacking player and the defender not base it on whether one is leaning back whilst the other leans forward etc. etc. The benefit should always be with the attacking side.
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 22, 2024, 7:33pm; Reply: 14
What happened to the clear and obvious error var. ?

If  its offside and the ref did not blow for it why  interfere ?

I feel really sorry for the Coventry fans and players you were robbed..

Next season just keep to the rules of what you stated at the begining.

VAR. Will not interfere unless the ref has made a clear and obvious error.

An inch is not a error .!!!!!

Completely ruined a great football game that had everything until you messed it up.
Posted by: Stadium, April 22, 2024, 7:38pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from grimsby pete
What happened to the clear and obvious error var. ?

If  its offside and the ref did not blow for it why  interfere ?

I feel really sorry for the Coventry fans and players you were robbed..

Next season just keep to the rules of what you stated at the begining.

VAR. Will not interfere unless the ref has made a clear and obvious error.

An inch is not a error .!'ll I'll x

Completely ruined a great football game that had everything until you messed it up.

Seen this commented on many times today.

"clear and obvious error" doesn't apply to offside decisions.

https://www.premierleague.com/VAR

Note that no issue or discussion with the "handball" given but two other decisions in the other semi final & Everton-Forest game were denied?
Posted by: grassbandits, April 22, 2024, 7:45pm; Reply: 16
I’d probably start with the offside rule before addressing VAR.

Did the attacking player gain or attempt to gain an advantage? If the answer is no then it’s not offside even if the line says you’re 1cm nearer the goal.
Posted by: Stadium, April 22, 2024, 7:49pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from grassbandits
I’d probably start with the offside rule before addressing VAR.

Did the attacking player gain or attempt to gain an advantage? If the answer is no then it’s not offside even if the line says you’re 1cm nearer the goal.

So that's an advantage?

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 22, 2024, 8:40pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from LH

Maybe hojlund was relieved it wasn’t going to a replay after penalties
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 22, 2024, 9:04pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Stadium

So that's an advantage?

Not necessarily, as how can VAR prove that they are drawing the line at exactly the moment the ball is being played? There needs to be a greater margin for error than 1cm as draw it a millisecond earlier/later and he may have been onside. Have to say a 1cm head start might be an advantage to Usain Bolt et Al but not sure it’s enough to be disallowing goals every weekend and taking the spontaneity away from fans at the ground.

Before VAR linesman were getting 98% of decisions correct so I think most fans would settle for that over what we have now.
Posted by: Stadium, April 22, 2024, 9:12pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Not necessarily, as how can VAR prove that they are drawing the line at exactly the moment the ball is being played? There needs to be a greater margin for error than 1cm as draw it a millisecond earlier/later and he may have been onside. Have to say a 1cm head start might be an advantage to Usain Bolt et Al but not sure it’s enough to be disallowing goals every weekend and taking the spontaneity away from fans at the ground.

Before VAR linesman were getting 98% of decisions correct so I think most fans would settle for that over what we have now.

??
A greater margin,what would that be?
If your introducing margins that would be open to even further discussions.
Interesting figure of 98% correct decisions?
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 22, 2024, 9:33pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Stadium

??

Not my figure that was quoted some time ago when all this controversy with VAR started, as I said previously my margin would be a clear gap between attacker and defender that in my mind is an advantage. Klopp wanted much thicker lines to cover for an error of margins whereas I would just scrap it and go back to good old human error.
Posted by: CSLM, April 22, 2024, 10:02pm; Reply: 22

Not my figure that was quoted some time ago when all this controversy with VAR started, as I said previously my margin would be a clear gap between attacker and defender that in my mind is an advantage. Klopp wanted much thicker lines to cover for an error of margins whereas I would just scrap it and go back to good old human error.

A much thicker line would make no difference whatsoever, just move where the decision is right or wrong a few inches.
I hate VAR, takes so much away from the game, presumably more decisions are correct when it is used but it is simply not worth it for what it takes away. I have seen  a few of the fans of the relegation threatened teams almost happy to be going back down to the championship and I can understand that.

Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 23, 2024, 9:46am; Reply: 23
FA/PL for being greedy tuats
Posted by: DB, April 23, 2024, 9:55am; Reply: 24
FA for abandoning the principles of the FA CUP and giving in to the PL
Posted by: JK47, April 23, 2024, 1:27pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from DB
FA for abandoning the principles of the FA CUP and giving in to the PL

Yes, though in effect, just the 6 big clubs, who have intended taking over all decisions in their own vested interests for the last 40 years.  They won't stop at this.

Posted by: Heswall Mariner, April 23, 2024, 7:43pm; Reply: 26
VAR: Football  is a simple game. Multiple rewinds to establish whether in a particular millisecond a guys left testicle was a fraction of an inch offside thus giving him an unfair advantage is twaddle.
While I'm on it - penalties are given on multiple rewinds on handball decision - when I see it as 'ball to hands' when the player cannot possibly avoid contact.
The referees decision should always remain final. UTM
Posted by: GrimPol, April 24, 2024, 11:44am; Reply: 27

There is a sensor inside the Adidas ball which senses 500 times per second when a ball is kicked.
Posted by: Maringer, April 24, 2024, 12:39pm; Reply: 28
Remember the good old days of, "Onside if you're level with the defender"?

It should only be used to disallow the most egregious of offsides where the linesman misses somebody standing half a yard or more off. Yes, it's arbitrary, but we can change the interpretation of the laws if we want to.

I'd also bring in instant bookings for anybody tugging an opponent's shirt, anywhere on the pitch, for any reason. The idea of the 'normal' foul which is only punished by a free-kick has come across from Europe and it ruins the spectacle. Also, the ridiculous melee at corners where defenders quite literally have their backs turned to the ball, so they can concentrate on obstructing and shoving attackers around. Also, players deliberately trying to obstruct the keeper at corners.

All that sort of stuff, really. The game has become too 'professional' in the way it accepts foul play.
Posted by: BrMarin, April 26, 2024, 4:41pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Stadium

??

There should be a bigger margin of error (thicker line of maybe a yard) and the onfield decision should stand depending if it was within this error margin.
Posted by: Stadium, April 26, 2024, 4:41pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Maringer

It should only be used to disallow the most egregious of offsides where the linesman misses somebody standing half a yard or more off. Yes, it's arbitrary, but we can change the interpretation of the laws if we want to.

I'd also bring in instant bookings for anybody tugging an opponent's shirt, anywhere on the pitch, for any reason. The idea of the 'normal' foul which is only punished by a free-kick has come across from Europe and it ruins the spectacle. Also, the ridiculous melee at corners where defenders quite literally have their backs turned to the ball, so they can concentrate on obstructing and shoving attackers around. Also, players deliberately trying to obstruct the keeper at corners.

All that sort of stuff, really. The game has become too 'professional' in the way it accepts foul play.

Good to see the Swedish FA abandoning VAR.
Unfortunately fans here are asleep when it's comes to change.
No opposition to VAR at all,apart from a fa cup semi final.

Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 26, 2024, 4:55pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Maringer

A man after my own heart Maringer
Print page generated: May 26, 2024, 2:51am