Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, April 1, 2024, 10:28pm
Came across this in the Lincolnshire Echo September 2nd 1899. Is the "temporary stand" of 1899 our present-day Main Stand? I think the stand was originally at Abbey Park?

I am curious what the "disgraceful scenes with the wagonette" people at Abbey Park were!

In 1899 BP was regarded as the best ground in the whole Football League!
Posted by: moosey_club, April 1, 2024, 10:41pm; Reply: 1
Wagonettes were essentially the horse drawn buses of the day....so my guess is they rode through crowds of people with little regard to their safety.
Posted by: GrimRob, April 1, 2024, 10:51pm; Reply: 2
If anyone is interested here is the Telegraph ahead of the last great game at the Abbey, the Lincolnshire Cup final against Lincoln.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s488/sh/3b0d9271-3f23-24bd-1746-08bb0cab769b/ECKRVDhmSHGeZ9jt4496motPYzoD658D-8OeRXS87OaN2sKmMGlrLHakMA

The Telegraph had their own "private telephone" to report from the ground.
Posted by: Running like emson, April 1, 2024, 10:59pm; Reply: 3
Brilliant , thank you. Love the article about the Tram Boys !! They can't conduct themselves....
Posted by: Maringer, April 2, 2024, 8:13am; Reply: 4
If you've read Bob Lincoln's early history of the club, there were some real shenanigans going on back in Victorian times which you wouldn't expect. People haven't really changed all that much since the 1890s. Same vices, same character flaws!
Posted by: GrimRob, April 2, 2024, 9:40am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Maringer
If you've read Bob Lincoln's early history of the club, there were some real shenanigans going on back in Victorian times which you wouldn't expect. People haven't really changed all that much since the 1890s. Same vices, same character flaws!

That book is a classic. Have read it twice.
Posted by: JK47, April 2, 2024, 10:18am; Reply: 6
Quoted from GrimRob
Came across this in the Lincolnshire Echo September 2nd 1899. Is the "temporary stand" of 1899 our present-day Main Stand? I think the stand was originally at Abbey Park?

I am curious what the "disgraceful scenes with the wagonette" people at Abbey Park were!

In 1899 BP was regarded as the best ground in the whole Football League!

No the stand from Abbey Park was on the Barrett Stand/Findus Stand side of the ground, the Main Stand followed a couple of years later, and has been the oldest structure in the football league ("structure" not just "stand") for several decades now.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, April 2, 2024, 12:46pm; Reply: 7
I’m more concerned at the splendid erections at either end.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 3, 2024, 11:13pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Maringer

Not sure if he is the same bloke that wrote it, but o remember reading of some drunken behaviour following town at a game in Nottingham in the 1930/40s (I think)

East Midlands old bill probably didn’t want to move the kick off time for John logie bairds new sports channel after winning the rights over his American counterpart at Marconi sports
Posted by: Maringer, April 4, 2024, 7:42am; Reply: 9
Nah. Bob Lincoln was one of the founders of the club back in Victorian times. I think he might even have been chairman at one point. There's a good story in the book about how GTFC were hauled up in front of the F.A. For a breach of regulations (I think it was maybe to do with professionalism). The Lincoln City chairman had evidence of our misdemeanours and reported it (big rivalry back the) but Bob Lincoln went to the meeting feeling very confident, because he had the evidence in his own pocket! They had obviously got somebody to burgle the Lincoln chairman's house to get it!

The GTFC book was half of a Lincoln's memoirs about the development of football and cricket in the town, but I've never read the cricket side of it. I think it was published in 19 20-odd, but I could be wrong.
Print page generated: May 19, 2024, 5:30pm