Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, March 14, 2024, 10:43am
Hoping Stockport give Salford a good stuffing tonight.
Would leave Salford two points ahead of Mariners having played 2 more games and a worse goal difference.

Stockport  still have to play FGR, Sutton and Colchester too……
Posted by: Poojah, March 14, 2024, 10:49am; Reply: 1
Aye. Also best for us, assuming that we stay up, that as many of the money clubs go up as possible.

On Sky tonight this one, isn’t it?
Posted by: pizzzza, March 14, 2024, 11:06am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Poojah
Aye. Also best for us, assuming that we stay up, that as many of the money clubs go up as possible.

It is.
Posted by: ska face, March 14, 2024, 11:10am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Poojah

Stockport, Wrexham, BFS autos, Bradford win the playoffs, Salford & FGR relegated.

That would be nice.
Posted by: Hagrid, March 14, 2024, 11:16am; Reply: 4
Quoted from ska face

Stockport, Wrexham, BFS autos, Bradford win the playoffs, Salford & FGR relegated.

That would be nice.

nah keep bradford, Its local-ish

We're already gonna lose Stockport and Mansfield!
Posted by: Poojah, March 14, 2024, 11:22am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Hagrid

nah keep bradford, Its local-ish

We're already gonna lose Stockport and Mansfield!

Yeah, I think Bradford’s another of those underrated away days. It gets a bit of a reputation for being a shíthole, but the city centre’s actually pretty nice, with some decent boozers all in walking distance of the ground.

Enjoying a pint or three in the ‘spoons beer garden in centenary square in 28 degree heat is probably one of the highlights of this season for me.

Keep Bradford.
Posted by: ska face, March 14, 2024, 11:38am; Reply: 6
Sorry, forgot about Mansfield, easily done.
Posted by: Hagrid, March 14, 2024, 12:03pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Poojah

Yeah, I think Bradford’s another of those underrated away days. It gets a bit of a reputation for being a shíthole, but the city centre’s actually pretty nice, with some decent boozers all in walking distance of the ground.

Enjoying a pint or three in the ‘spoons beer garden in centenary square in 28 degree heat is probably one of the highlights of this season for me.

Keep Bradford.

Yeah it was bloody lovely wasnt it, Boiling hot, 1-0 up at Half time, 2nd in the league as it stood....
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, March 14, 2024, 12:09pm; Reply: 8
Was in Bradford (via Saltaire and the Bradford beer festival) when we were playing FGR. If you've not been, SALT brewery in Saltaire is worth the trip out from Bradford. Bus back in to Bradford from there and stop at the Record Cafe. Obviously Omar's and a Notorious Naan after.
Posted by: ska face, March 14, 2024, 12:15pm; Reply: 9
There’s a Bab Tooma in Bradford and it’s the best Middle Eastern food I’ve ever had, the absolute bøllocks. They’ve got them in Roundhay & York too, highly recommended.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, March 14, 2024, 12:29pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from ska face
There’s a Bab Tooma in Bradford and it’s the best Middle Eastern food I’ve ever had, the absolute bøllocks. They’ve got them in Roundhay & York too, highly recommended.

My sources say it's very good but the service can be a bit....absent
Posted by: Poojah, March 14, 2024, 12:31pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from ska face

It’s fúcking superb, isn’t it. They deliver to my house so it’s a regular Friday night Deliveroo for me. Easy to turn your nose up at “Syrian” food, but if you like grilled meat and rice it’s some of the nicest food you’ll find anywhere, imo.

Apologies for turning this thread, about Stockport, into an advert for Bradford btw.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, March 14, 2024, 12:41pm; Reply: 12
Chesterfield coming up to replace Mansfield in terms of similar distance similar shiteholeness, but easier to get there on the train. Then hope it’s Barnet, not gobby Woodhead and feckin Michael Cheek.

Coming down we’ve tinpot Cheltenham and Fleetwood, plus Carlisle and Vale with their fans that liked to come round from the Osmond to have chat with the Lower.
Posted by: Poojah, March 14, 2024, 12:52pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Chesterfield coming up to replace Mansfield in terms of similar distance similar shiteholeness, but easier to get there on the train. Then hope it’s Barnet, not gobby Woodhead and feckin Michael Cheek.

Coming down we’ve tinpot Cheltenham and Fleetwood, plus Carlisle and Vale with their fans that liked to come round from the Osmond to have chat with the Lower.

Chesterfield have form for that, too. Never before have so many men failed to move so little fencing.

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, March 14, 2024, 2:15pm; Reply: 14
Funniest thing about that is how unconcerned the police look 🤣
Posted by: diehardmariner, March 14, 2024, 2:35pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Not sure Cheltenham come down to be honest.  In (very slightly) better, or probably fairer to say less excrement, form than Burton and Cambridge.  Clarke massively improved them pretty much from the point he took over.  After their shocking start it's testament that they're still in the fight.  

Tough run in though, Lincoln and Stevenage for their final two games.
Posted by: Poojah, March 14, 2024, 3:15pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from diehardmariner

Not sure Cheltenham come down to be honest.  In (very slightly) better, or probably fairer to say less excrement, form than Burton and Cambridge.  Clarke massively improved them pretty much from the point he took over.  After their shocking start it's testament that they're still in the fight.  

Tough run in though, Lincoln and Stevenage for their final two games.

Still a possibility of Reading coming down yet, if they pick up another hefty points deduction. 10 points and they’re in deep trouble.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, March 14, 2024, 6:59pm; Reply: 17
Anyone who wants a truly ethnic curry in Bradford, Try the Kashmir on Morley St. Alcohol not served but water is free and near spoons for a jar or two before

Think it’s the oldest and currently most authentic Asian restaurant in the city centre.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, March 14, 2024, 7:01pm; Reply: 18
Omar's don't mind you bringing your own beers.

I think Rate my Takeaway did Kashmir's this week.

edit yes he did. He can be a tiny bit irritating but usually knows when the food is good or not.

Posted by: forza ivano, March 14, 2024, 7:22pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Poojah

It’s fúcking superb, isn’t it. They deliver to my house so it’s a regular Friday night Deliveroo for me. Easy to turn your nose up at “Syrian” food, but if you like grilled meat and rice it’s some of the nicest food you’ll find anywhere, imo.

Apologies for turning this thread, about Stockport, into an advert for Bradford btw.

don't get me on Syria n syrian food - did 2 holidays there, immediately pre revolution.Best place I've ever been.The food is superb especially the vegetarian - baba ganoush, kibbeh, muhammara. 1 tip DO NOT try Syrian beer or wine - it's absolutely rank. Go Lebanese - Al Mazar for beer, chateau musar for a superb red
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, March 14, 2024, 7:29pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from forza ivano

don't get me on Syria n syrian food - did 2 holidays there, immediately pre revolution.Best place I've ever been.The food is superb especially the vegetarian - baba ganoush, kibbeh, muhammara. 1 tip DO NOT try Syrian beer or wine - it's absolutely rank. Go Lebanese - Al Mazar for beer, chateau musar for a superb red

This guy knows his wine!
Posted by: forza ivano, March 14, 2024, 8:09pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

This guy knows his wine!

after the revolution broke we went to Lebanon instead , another great holiday, and the tour of the cellars at Chateau Musar was 1 of the many highlights.

Bit like Austrian & Portuguese wines, inasmuch that they are hugely under appreciated reds
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, March 14, 2024, 8:13pm; Reply: 22
Two bits of bad news….

Chateaux Musar is £41 a bottle

And Salford 1-0 up v Stockport…..
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 14, 2024, 8:15pm; Reply: 23

Liverpool 4-0 Sparta Prague after 14 minutes.
Posted by: LH, March 14, 2024, 8:18pm; Reply: 24
I thought I’d seen that Chateau Musar were playing in the Europa Conference League tonight.
Posted by: Abdul19, March 14, 2024, 8:26pm; Reply: 25
Reckon Stockport could be in danger of pissing away their seemingly guaranteed promotion spot here. They've won 6 of their last 18.
Posted by: paramariner, March 14, 2024, 8:42pm; Reply: 26
Salford 2 up!
Posted by: Gaffer58, March 14, 2024, 8:43pm; Reply: 27
Salford 2 up now, rollocks
Posted by: Chrisblor, March 14, 2024, 8:43pm; Reply: 28
2-0 - It simply has to be the sack for Challinor I'm afraid!
Posted by: ska face, March 14, 2024, 8:43pm; Reply: 29
Not so fussed with Salford winning tonight if it means Stockport then need to beat Colchester, FGR and Sutton in the next month or so. Only have to finish above 2.
Posted by: Ford Cortina, March 14, 2024, 8:44pm; Reply: 30
There's a sheep commentating on the Salford v Stockport game on i-follow.

Laughs while talking, think his name is Shaun

Stockport not doing Town any favours at the mo.
Posted by: Chrisblor, March 14, 2024, 8:45pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from ska face
Not so fussed with Salford winning tonight if it means Stockport then need to beat Colchester, FGR and Sutton in the next month or so. Only have to finish above 2.

Ahh, 7D chess! Mr Stockport Multimillionaire Owner, hold on to that P45!
Posted by: oochiad, March 14, 2024, 8:55pm; Reply: 32
Stockport are awful, no way they’re going to help us out tonight. Bloody typical…..
Posted by: It Bites, March 14, 2024, 8:58pm; Reply: 33
This is what happens . There is no very crap team this season like Scunny . I’m saying 48 points again . The bottom teams are all fighting, if Colchester decide to play a game and fight  it’s gonna get interesting
Posted by: RonMariner, March 14, 2024, 9:00pm; Reply: 34
Well if Salford can beat Stockport and FGR can bear Wallsal, it looks very much like anyone can beat anyone in this division.

Which means in turn that we need fear absolutely no one in the division. Let's set out to give the likes of Barrow and Wrexham a right seeing to regardless of their league position.  
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, March 14, 2024, 9:03pm; Reply: 35
Yes anyone can beat anyone on the day, but this is poor by any standards. Just non league wrestling plus a worldwide strike by a full back.
Posted by: It Bites, March 14, 2024, 9:20pm; Reply: 36
2-1
Posted by: BeijingMariner, March 14, 2024, 9:29pm; Reply: 37
2-2
Posted by: Stew0_0, March 14, 2024, 9:34pm; Reply: 38
Cmon Stockport complete the turnaround!
Posted by: RonMariner, March 14, 2024, 9:36pm; Reply: 39
2-2 now with Stockport really going for it,
Posted by: It Bites, March 14, 2024, 9:36pm; Reply: 40
Desmond
Posted by: MarinerDevil, March 14, 2024, 10:08pm; Reply: 41
Disappointing from Stockport but it keeps Salford within reach.
Posted by: RonMariner, March 14, 2024, 10:09pm; Reply: 42
We go above them on Saturday if we beat Gillingham. They don’t play till Sunday.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, March 14, 2024, 10:20pm; Reply: 43
At least 1,336 Stockport fans there having sold their entire allocation out of 3,827 attendance. I guess a few went in the home end as well probally.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, March 14, 2024, 10:34pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
At least 1,336 Stockport fans there having sold their entire allocation out of 3,827 attendance. I guess a few went in the home end as well probally.

Didn’t look to be even 2.5k home fans - apart from the away seats in the corner the stand opposite was near empty. The most horrible of the tinpot clubs.

Posted by: Mappers, March 14, 2024, 10:48pm; Reply: 45
We are the anomaly in terms of support levels of the bottom 5

Season average attendance :
Sutton-3166
FGR-2366
Colchester- 3789
Salford- 2921
Town- 6263

They are all NL level supported at best , not that it matters as all of them barring Sutton are bankrolled to an extent ; but I can never see any of them being well supported even if they do well .
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 14, 2024, 11:05pm; Reply: 46
Not quite true that anybody can beat anybody in Div 2.

All teams have been beaten in their last 5 games - bar Town!!   We have the best defensive record over the last 5 games as well.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, March 14, 2024, 11:28pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Not quite true that anybody can beat anybody in Div 2.

All teams have been beaten in their last 5 games - bar Town!!   We have the best defensive record over the last 5 games as well.

That is a remarkable statistic. Envisage the odds on Town to win a last man standing straight after Donny.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, March 14, 2024, 11:41pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from ska face

Good point that mate!
Posted by: Zmariner, March 15, 2024, 8:52am; Reply: 49
Last chance saloon for Sutton on Saturday. A draw is  really no use to them with games running out they have to go to forest green and win to keep their hopes alive.Utm
Posted by: Mappers, March 15, 2024, 9:03am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Zmariner
Last chance saloon for Sutton on Saturday. A draw is  really no use to them with games running out they have to go to forest green and win to keep their hopes alive.Utm

I can't see FGR continuing their fine run for the following 6 games ,as well as they have done .
Doncaster,Stockport,Crewe,MK , Mansfield and Wrexham all on the bounce  . Very difficult .

It's probably a must win game for them tomorrow aswell .

A Sutton win would make it a great Saturday for us however we do .

Posted by: Hagrid, March 15, 2024, 9:30am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Zmariner

think they're already down tbh
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, March 15, 2024, 9:49am; Reply: 52
Quoted from Hagrid

I'm in the same boat but if they beat Forest Green on the weekend then it reduces the gap between them to 3 points albeit having played a game more
Posted by: DB, March 15, 2024, 10:15am; Reply: 53
A defeat for Colchester on Saturday and they could be going down, putting the Cowleys back where they started, unless they join the queue of ex-Colchester managers.
Posted by: Poojah, March 15, 2024, 10:21am; Reply: 54
Quoted from DB
A defeat for Colchester on Saturday and they could be going down, putting the Cowleys back where they started, unless they join the queue of ex-Colchester managers.

It’s raining quite a bit in Colchester today. They might not even get the game on.
Posted by: GrimPol, March 15, 2024, 2:14pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Hagrid

Not so loud, we need Sutton to believe in staying up and give FGR a good run and beat them. A draw would be great as well :) UTM.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 15, 2024, 3:52pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Poojah

It’s raining quite a bit in Colchester today. They might not even get the game on.

They'll be ok now the EFL have agreed to them reducing their pitch dimensions to that of a table football game!..
Posted by: AussieMariner, March 15, 2024, 5:44pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
Was in Bradford (via Saltaire and the Bradford beer festival) when we were playing FGR. If you've not been, SALT brewery in Saltaire is worth the trip out from Bradford. Bus back in to Bradford from there and stop at the Record Cafe. Obviously Omar's and a Notorious Naan after.

I recently moved to Shipley and can absolutely confirm the quality of pubs in the area. As well as the Salt beer factory in the old tram shed Saltaire also has Fanny’s Ale House which I think is a converted cop shop. Near the ground as well as the Record Cafe there is the Corn Dolly which has a variety of good ales and is a very decent boozer. In the town centre there is a hidden gem called Sunbridge Wells, a network of refurbished underground tunnels with a variety of pubs, bars and restaurants.

2025 Bradford is the city of culture which is why there is so much development going on and driving through is a nightmare. Also going to host the Camra national winter beer festival as well as the Bradford one at Saltaire.
Posted by: 800 (Guest), March 15, 2024, 6:14pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from AussieMariner

I recently moved to Shipley and can absolutely confirm the quality of pubs in the area. As well as the Salt beer factory in the old tram shed Saltaire also has Fanny’s Ale House which I think is a converted cop shop. Near the ground as well as the Record Cafe there is the Corn Dolly which has a variety of good ales and is a very decent boozer. In the town centre there is a hidden gem called Sunbridge Wells, a network of refurbished underground tunnels with a variety of pubs, bars and restaurants.

2025 Bradford is the city of culture which is why there is so much development going on and driving through is a nightmare. Also going to host the Camra national winter beer festival as well as the Bradford one at Saltaire.

I haven't had a drink for many years but am well aware that there are some cracking pubs in Shipley. My ex-boss lives there so dropped in a few times. I can still admire a pub that does proper beer.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 9:48am