Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: It Bites, March 12, 2024, 2:58pm
Game off again
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 12, 2024, 3:09pm; Reply: 1
It looks like Colchester only have 19th March or 23rd April left to play this game.
Posted by: bawarmy, March 12, 2024, 3:24pm; Reply: 2
Is it true they don't pay a groundsman?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 12, 2024, 3:43pm; Reply: 3
If they do, they do not pay him or her anywhere near enough!
Posted by: Mappers, March 12, 2024, 3:46pm; Reply: 4
Tweet 1767567176255365210 will appear here...

Something to do with drainage according to most of their fans
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, March 12, 2024, 4:38pm; Reply: 5
Let’s get out of reach before we play there - and still win to send them down…
Posted by: Mayaman, March 12, 2024, 5:10pm; Reply: 6
Wasn't Colchester a Roman garrison?  With their engineering feats, they will all be turning in their grave.
Posted by: forza ivano, March 12, 2024, 5:13pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Mayaman
Wasn't Colchester a Roman garrison?  With their engineering feats, they will all be turning in their grave.

Dunno why that's relevant.

After all, what did the romans ever do for us? 8)
Posted by: Spurn boy, March 12, 2024, 5:52pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from forza ivano

Dunno why that's relevant.

After all, what did the romans ever do for us? 8)

They built two places that irrespective of football allegiance are great for a couple of nights away with great pubs and places to eat, York and Chester and I will be forever thankful to them for that. UTM
Posted by: stevethefish, March 12, 2024, 5:56pm; Reply: 9
I live 3 miles from the ground. The rain we have had in last 12 months is double the average for the last 20 years from the data I have seen. February was an incredible 129cm and it has rained consistently from Sunday morning through to this afternoon. Everywhere has surface flooding. It's miserable :(
Posted by: wigworld, March 12, 2024, 6:21pm; Reply: 10
Something of an explanation here. ("I'm not a drainage expert but...")

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2024/march/club-statement
Posted by: 800 (Guest), March 12, 2024, 8:22pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from stevethefish
I live 3 miles from the ground. The rain we have had in last 12 months is double the average for the last 20 years from the data I have seen. February was an incredible 129cm and it has rained consistently from Sunday morning through to this afternoon. Everywhere has surface flooding. It's miserable :(

I went to Essex University over forty years ago. The worst rain I remember is when we were dropped off on the A12 on the way back from Norwich. Took a week to dry out. Isn't St Osyth the most arid place in the UK? Not that far away.
Posted by: RonMariner, March 12, 2024, 8:52pm; Reply: 12
Crucial to see this out. Would give us a very nice gap over Colchester.
Posted by: supertown, March 12, 2024, 10:10pm; Reply: 13
Colchester are supposed to be at home again on Sat 😬
Posted by: supertown, March 12, 2024, 10:15pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from wigworld
Something of an explanation here. ("I'm not a drainage expert but...")

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2024/march/club-statement

Amazing, they even have covers and can’t keep it dry 🤷🏼‍♂️
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 12, 2024, 10:25pm; Reply: 15
Better for us as points in the bag much better then games in hand. Looked through  Colchester’s run in and, on paper, it’s bloody tough so they’ve got some real problems to solve.
Posted by: ROKERITE, March 12, 2024, 10:34pm; Reply: 16
They're looking at two matches a week for the rest of the season if the game against Walsall at the weekend is off.
Posted by: Poojah, March 12, 2024, 10:37pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from supertown
Colchester are supposed to be at home again on Sat 😬

It’s not looking good.

Posted by: Mariner93er, March 12, 2024, 11:03pm; Reply: 18
Just looked at their fixtures and they have a seriously tough run in, including the current top three. Think they're going to struggle.
Posted by: Mappers, March 12, 2024, 11:14pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Mariner93er
Just looked at their fixtures and they have a seriously tough run in, including the current top three. Think they're going to struggle.

I would suggest they're probably just going
Posted by: stevethefish, March 13, 2024, 8:24am; Reply: 20
Yes it is supposed to very dry round here. Not since i moved in !

I think Colchester are in deep poo and think they will drop as FGR on a bit of a roll (barring defeat to us)

Makes our game with Colchester absolutely massive for them,
Posted by: RonMariner, March 13, 2024, 10:53pm; Reply: 21
Very likely that FGR will beat Sutton on Saturday. So if Colchester lose at home to Wallsal, which is a distinct possibility, they will suddenly find themselves 4 points adrift of third bottom.

They will have two games in hand, but with their ppg closing the gap with an inform FGR will not be easy.  
Posted by: Wedidntdidwe, March 15, 2024, 3:47pm; Reply: 22
They've now changed the pitch size to try to remove the problems a little. 4m narrower and 3m shorter
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 15, 2024, 3:51pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Wedidntdidwe
They've now changed the pitch size to try to remove the problems a little. 4m narrower and 3m shorter

So Abo Eisa will be shooting from the half way line then.   ;D ;D ;D

Posted by: Poojah, March 15, 2024, 3:56pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Wedidntdidwe

Not sure how that’s going to help that much when you look where the standing water was when we were due to ply there a few weeks back.

Posted by: Peeler_Crab, March 15, 2024, 4:21pm; Reply: 25
Tweet 1768645950099120261 will appear here...
Posted by: jamesgtfc, March 15, 2024, 6:48pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Poojah

Not sure how that’s going to help that much when you look where the standing water was when we were due to ply there a few weeks back.

I guess they've been told to demonstrate how they will get matches on in the coming weeks and this is what they've proposed. They will look silly if their game tomorrow gets postponed!
Posted by: LN8Mariner, March 15, 2024, 7:32pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Poojah

To be fair the 2m next to the sideline look the best part of the pitch! Are we sure they’ve not had it reduced to 4m wide?
Posted by: RonMariner, March 15, 2024, 7:42pm; Reply: 28
Isn’t shortening the pitch just a tactic to make their long ball hoof forward approach more effective?
Posted by: chaos33, March 15, 2024, 7:50pm; Reply: 29
Walsall need to beat Colchester really. They’re one point outside the play offs and competing for the 7th place last play off spot with at least 6 other clubs. This is a very winnable game for them. Pressure on Colchester. The improvement of others during their inaction, preceded by poor form and they’re suddenly in the bottom two and desperate for points.

I reckon most people will expect FGR to beat Sutton. Any sort of a result tomorrow for us and I’d be happy…IF…. Walsall beat Colchester.
Posted by: RonMariner, March 15, 2024, 8:02pm; Reply: 30
If we keep on picking up points in the way we have over the last few games we will be fine. April has very tough fixtures for both FGR and Colchester.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 15, 2024, 8:09pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from chaos33
Walsall need to beat Colchester really. They’re one point outside the play offs and competing for the 7th place last play off spot with at least 6 other clubs. This is a very winnable game for them. Pressure on Colchester. The improvement of others during their inaction, preceded by poor form and they’re suddenly in the bottom two and desperate for points.

I reckon most people will expect FGR to beat Sutton.Any sort of a result tomorrow for us and I’d be happy…IF…. Walsall beat Colchester.

I reckon Sutton will get at least a point, probably all three.

Posted by: Heisenberg, March 15, 2024, 8:36pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Eh?! No chance.
Posted by: DB, March 16, 2024, 2:16pm; Reply: 33
We're now 30+ games in and the EFL agree to a change in pitch size. I think the EFL are making a rod for their own back, especially from all those teams who have already played there, not gotten a result and may miss out on promotion/ or relegation.

Their complaint to the EFL will be it's not fair for some teams playing at Colchester on a different-sized pitch as them. I am not against Colchester changing their pitch size but surely it should be done in the close season so it is fair to all teams playing there.
Posted by: supertown, March 16, 2024, 2:17pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from DB
We're now 30+ games in and the EFL agree to a change in pitch size. I think the EFL are making a rod for their own back, especially from all those teams who have already played there, not gotten a result and may miss out on promotion/ or relegation.

Their complaint to the EFL will be it's not fair for some teams playing at Colchester on a different-sized pitch as them. I am not against Colchester changing their pitch size but surely it should be done in the close season so it is fair to all teams playing there.

That’s bull. The pitch size is irrelevant for teams that have or have not played on it . It’s the same for both teams - on the day
Posted by: RonMariner, March 16, 2024, 2:30pm; Reply: 35
I still think shortening the pitch is a tactic to make the long ball game more effective. Didn’t Cambridge do something similar a few years back when they had a long ball merchant in charge?
Posted by: Spidey, March 16, 2024, 3:08pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from RonMariner
I still think shortening the pitch is a tactic to make the long ball game more effective. Didn’t Cambridge do something similar a few years back when they had a long ball merchant in charge?

Was it John Beck in charge then? Used to have the grass longer in the corners of the pitch, too.
Posted by: buckstown, March 16, 2024, 5:13pm; Reply: 37

Round of applause for Grantham Mariner
Posted by: Running like emson, March 16, 2024, 5:21pm; Reply: 38
This is true about Beck.

Colchester run in is the worst of the bottom 5
Posted by: kevikov, March 16, 2024, 5:31pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Heisenberg

Eh?! No chance.

👀
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 16, 2024, 5:57pm; Reply: 40

Told you.

Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 16, 2024, 6:03pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Heisenberg

Eh?! No chance.

O yes there was.

Posted by: Poojah, March 16, 2024, 10:28pm; Reply: 42
Look at the state of that pitch. Hadn’t realised Colchester has missed a penalty, so an even better day for Town really, but fúck me, I went cross-eyed watching it.

Posted by: Heisenberg, March 16, 2024, 10:32pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from kevikov

👀

Ok, got me there!
Posted by: RonMariner, March 17, 2024, 12:09am; Reply: 44
Looks like they need to crop another ten yards off the pitch so that the goalkeeper and just hoof it into the opposition box.

What a blatant attempt to move things in favour of hoofball.  
Posted by: grimps, March 17, 2024, 4:46am; Reply: 45
It’s actually a good idea to have a massive pitch that you can move around if it’s knackered .
Probably makes it a crap atmosphere there though being miles away from the pitch
Posted by: pizzzza, March 17, 2024, 6:38am; Reply: 46

Told you.

In an event that has 3 possible outcomes you made a prediction that covered 2 of the 3 outcomes and you're gloating that you got it right?
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, March 17, 2024, 8:22am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Poojah
Look at the state of that pitch. Hadn’t realised Colchester has missed a penalty, so an even better day for Town really, but fúck me, I went cross-eyed watching it.

From watching that last night, i could see that the pitch was shortened at one end and the reduction in width was all taken off one side, so they have successfully bypassed the worst parts of the pitch for flooding. Very well done on their part.
I wonder if, come the end of the season, they will work on the drainage in that area again and re-widen the pitch for next season?
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 17, 2024, 8:36am; Reply: 48

From watching that last night, i could see that the pitch was shortened at one end and the reduction in width was all taken off one side, so they have successfully bypassed the worst parts of the pitch for flooding. Very well done on their part.
I wonder if, come the end of the season, they will work on the drainage in that area again and re-widen the pitch for next season?

Depends what the rules are in the National League.
Posted by: Yossarian, March 17, 2024, 5:04pm; Reply: 49
tbf it was quite an innovative way to get the game on - change the dimensions of the pitch.  But it does look like dogshit.  Although I reckon the old timers like me would say "I remember when......."

Posted by: mimma, March 17, 2024, 5:27pm; Reply: 50
Jolley had our pitch narrowed by a couple of feet when he was here.
Posted by: rancido, March 17, 2024, 6:13pm; Reply: 51
I think quite a few clubs have had there clubs playing surface "adjusted* to suit their managers needs. .
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 4:36am