Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 26, 2024, 3:47pm
York have sacked Neil Ardley today.

Must be our 6 or 7 players we have given them.

(Hunt and Amos subbed at HT.  Shop came in at HT).  They lost 2-0.  One point above the drop zone).
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 26, 2024, 4:02pm; Reply: 1
The Circle is Complete....there was a time when we were signing loads of York's players (or atleast had played for York)
Posted by: RichMariner, February 26, 2024, 5:03pm; Reply: 2
I thought Neil Ardley was a great appointment for them. As we know, he almost took Solihull to the FL.

It's alarming how a manager or a player's stock can fall.

Mind you, maybe Ardley will do a Hurst and end up managing a team in the division above!
Posted by: Poojah, February 26, 2024, 5:14pm; Reply: 3
Incidentally, Ardley’s overall record at York is roughly twice as good as Artell’s in terms of win % and PPG. That’s over a larger sample of games (34 to be precise), but it’s another example of how lucky Artell is to be in a job currently. He is the exception rather than the rule.
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 26, 2024, 5:17pm; Reply: 4
Probably Yorks owners have not yet been shown the importance of data!!!
Posted by: chaos33, February 26, 2024, 6:41pm; Reply: 5
Not sure we’ve ‘given’ them “6 or 7” players. Amos, Hunt and LJL. Suppose you could count Paddy M, but he went elsewhere first before returning to York. What other players did we give them?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 26, 2024, 6:43pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from chaos33
It sure we’ve ‘given’ them “6 or 7” players. Amos, Hunt and LJL. Suppose you could count Paddy M, but he went elsewhere first before returning to York. What other players did we give them?

Burgess, Crookes from the 2021 squad are there now too.
Posted by: chaos33, February 26, 2024, 6:47pm; Reply: 7
Honestly can’t remember either of them. That’s either because they are unremarkable (or dross), or, I’m old and my mind has gone. Or both.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 26, 2024, 10:11pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Poojah
Incidentally, Ardley’s overall record at York is roughly twice as good as Artell’s in terms of win % and PPG. That’s over a larger sample of games (34 to be precise), but it’s another example of how lucky Artell is to be in a job currently. He is the exception rather than the rule.

Given how long it took York to get out of the NLN, they are probably petrified of going down. I saw a stat that York's form under Ardley is 13th so he can feel hard done by.
Posted by: Poojah, February 26, 2024, 10:16pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Given how long it took York to get out of the NLN, they are probably petrified of going down. I saw a stat that York's form under Ardley is 13th so he can feel hard done by.

Yeah, I’d imagine our board would feel the same if we’d spent, I dunno, 7 years in the National League previously.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 26, 2024, 10:31pm; Reply: 10
Most tenuous Grim Reaper claim yet!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 26, 2024, 10:32pm; Reply: 11
Is t it afc fylde that have been on some ludicrous run of winning since the turn of the year?
Posted by: HerveJosse, February 26, 2024, 11:27pm; Reply: 12
I thought York would be Hursts next job had he not had the Shrewsbury connection come up
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 27, 2024, 9:33am; Reply: 13
Quoted from chaos33
Honestly can’t remember either of them. That’s either because they are unremarkable (or dross), or, I’m old and my mind has gone. Or both.

Burgess was incredibly forgetful, non-entity of a central midfielder who fitted the Hurst mould in that position of only looking remotely involved in a 3-man set up but that's as good as it gets. Spared the indignity of the worst midfielder of that season by Joey Jones.

Crookes on the other hand was a very, very solid and dependable left-back, started the season and was only when Amos arrived that he fell out the team. Didn't get forward much but, in my opinion, was a big factor in the success of Efete down that right hand side.

He was very capable and happy to drifit across to form a back three when Efete went mauraduing forward, which really lessened the risk of a great attacking outlet in the first half of that season.

Perhaps not good enough for League Two but I've thought all season that we've lacked that type of full-back, someone who will stay back and let the other side attack. Instead we largely had Glennon and Mullarkey who both wanted to attack constantly, which left us with a back 2. To add to the mix a back 2 who lack pace so didn't have the ability to cover exposed positions very well.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 4:34pm