Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 1, 2024, 9:24am
Wiki page: Link

Hot off the press >> https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-notts-county-wycombe-wanderers-9070573

Tweet 1752979297030078502 will appear here...

Quoted from Gloucestershire Live | Posted: 1 February 2024, 8:56 am
Former Notts County and Wycombe Wanderers midfielder Curtis Thompson set to leave Cheltenham Town for Grimsby Town

Curtis Thompson is set to leave Cheltenham Town for League Two club Grimsby Town on transfer deadline day.

The 30-year-old midfielder has made 22 appearances since joining the Robins from Wycombe Wanderers last summer.

He signed a one-year deal after appearing in the final pre-season friendly against Newport County and went on for his debut against Shrewsbury Town on the opening day of the season following an injury to Elliot Bonds.

His last start was the New Year’s Day defeat at Northampton Town, when he was substituted after 70 minutes.

He went on from the bench in the home win over Portsmouth and in last Saturday’s 2-1 defeat at Derby County.

Cheltenham have added Josh Harrop and Liam Kinsella to their midfield options this month, as well as Tom Pett extending his contract until the end of the season.
Posted by: Poojah, February 1, 2024, 9:34am; Reply: 1
On paper, would be quite impressive. Was a regular in Wycombe’s promotion season from League One a few years back and their subsequent season in the Championship. Didn’t play a lot last season due to injury however.

Seems to be fit currently mind, having played at Derby at the weekend.
Posted by: Mikey_345, February 1, 2024, 9:39am; Reply: 2
Bit of a fuller breakdown on here;

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/curtis-thompson/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/199530/plus/0?saison=&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

On the face of it, knowing very little about him at all, it looks a decent signing.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 1, 2024, 9:41am; Reply: 3
I found the news originally from here >> https://the72.co.uk/2024/02/01/cheltenham-town-midfielder-set-to-join-league-two-side/
Posted by: forza ivano, February 1, 2024, 9:45am; Reply: 4
Exactly the sort i was hoping for. Matches the description of someone who has been training with us all week. Described as a 'ratter' who likes a tackle, and distributes safely, if unspectacularly. Good comparison is our our old player Brendan Comley apparently
Posted by: mariner91, February 1, 2024, 9:50am; Reply: 5
A friend of mine who supports Wycombe reckons he's a good signing for L2. Gets around the pitch well and breaks things up. Sounds like he's the replacement for Conteh. Plus he's a good age and played the majority of his 226 league games in higher divisions. Good signing if true.
Posted by: GrimExile, February 1, 2024, 9:59am; Reply: 6
Below is a message I got from my son who’s a Wycombe Wanderers supporter. Don’t go there, I know!!!

Absolute class.  So much time on the ball.  Makes everything look effortless. Only problem is he has polystyrene knees.  He was injured on and off constantly and just couldn’t avoid injury so we didn’t renew his contract. He’d be sitting in our midfield now if he could stay fit.  He was injured more than was available, but if you get him fit he was so good. Defensive midfielder.  Does the dirty work winning the ball back but so classy doing it.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 1, 2024, 9:59am; Reply: 7
From when he signed for Cheltenham last summer.

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2023/august/curtis-thompson-becomes-a-robin/

Quoted Text
"I'm a midfielder who likes to get stuck in with tenacity and I like to try and get on the ball as much as possible.

"I want to be positive, drive the team and work really hard in every single game I play."

Based solely on that description of himself and his underlying stats, he definitely doesn't look to be the sort who will create/score.  But more of a natural Conteh fit, that one who protects and dictates from deep.

On paper, looks positive.  We'll wait and see...
Posted by: Son of Cod, February 1, 2024, 10:11am; Reply: 8
Quote from a Cheltenham fan on TFF:

"If you can keep him fit, he's an outstanding signing - he's only fallen down our pecking order because he can't seem to do 90 mins.

Technically, he's a League 1 standard player.'
Posted by: ska face, February 1, 2024, 10:17am; Reply: 9
Let’s hope Dave Moore gives him the magic sponge Eisa has had this season.
Posted by: Poojah, February 1, 2024, 10:24am; Reply: 10
Quoted from ska face
Let’s hope Dave Moore gives him the magic sponge Eisa has had this season.

And not the one he gave Adrian Forbes.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 1, 2024, 10:32am; Reply: 11
The sort of signing that could change the season if fit or he completely forgotten if injured.  Praying for his knees.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, February 1, 2024, 11:32am; Reply: 12
Looks a good signing on the face of it, good age, experienced, the vast majority of which is at a higher level, currently fit and ready to go.

Fingers crossed as he looks exactly the type of player we need!
Posted by: Mappers, February 1, 2024, 11:34am; Reply: 13
No bad words against him from Cheltenham fans sounds a good player - maybe a more experienced Conteh almost ?
Posted by: StacyColdicotts_hairline, February 1, 2024, 12:10pm; Reply: 14
Fingers crossed he can stay fit
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 1, 2024, 12:12pm; Reply: 15
Fingers crossed he can stay fit

Looking at your user name. A yard dog is just what we need to grab hold of the midfield.
Posted by: StacyColdicotts_hairline, February 1, 2024, 12:33pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Looking at your user name. A yard dog is just what we need to grab hold of the midfield.

He would be perfect. Started his career with town at the age of 27 in what was then Division 1 - I believe man City went up as champions that year. A few short seasons later we found ourselves in the newly named League 2 😔

How times change
Posted by: RichMariner, February 1, 2024, 12:52pm; Reply: 17
Just tempering the excitement a bit with the name Danny Rose (the 4G mast Danny Rose).

Came with great pedigree, Portsmouth and Oxford fans had nothing but praise, still had a few years left in him... and he was gash.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 1, 2024, 12:59pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from RichMariner
Just tempering the excitement a bit with the name Danny Rose (the 4G mast Danny Rose).

Came with great pedigree, Portsmouth and Oxford fans had nothing but praise, still had a few years left in him... and he was gash.

We once signed a centre half from Halifax who was over the hill and looked like a sh*t signing at the time. He became a club legend.
Posted by: Brummie Codfather, February 1, 2024, 1:01pm; Reply: 19
https://gtfc.co.uk/thompson-joins/
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 1, 2024, 1:02pm; Reply: 20
Yay first one in.
Posted by: StacyColdicotts_hairline, February 1, 2024, 1:03pm; Reply: 21
Good luck Curtis
Posted by: golfer, February 1, 2024, 1:07pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from forza ivano
Exactly the sort i was hoping for. Matches the description of someone who has been training with us all week. Described as a 'ratter' who likes a tackle, and distributes safely, if unspectacularly. Good comparison is our our old player Brendan Comley apparently

Better get him a pair of thick mitts. then.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, February 1, 2024, 1:12pm; Reply: 23
For me, based on what a cheltenham fan said about him, this could be the most important signing of the season. He's exactly what weve been lacking in midfield and should help give us the spine we need
Posted by: Stew0_0, February 1, 2024, 1:15pm; Reply: 24

Granted this was from 6 years ago but looks decent and at 30 is a good age
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 1, 2024, 1:16pm; Reply: 25
Look at the bottom paragraph, the BBC thinks we have brought in Conteh from Bristol Rovers (unsure) >> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68168419
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 1, 2024, 1:24pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Look at the bottom paragraph, the BBC thinks we have brought in Conteh from Bristol Rovers (unsure) >> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68168419

Journalism is at an all time low at the BBC. Full of inaccuracies and riddled with biased reporting. I’ve virtually stopped listing to them and hardly ever watch it. Local radio broadcasts have been decimated and some of the 24 hour drivel on Radio 5 is childlike.
Posted by: Maringer, February 1, 2024, 1:44pm; Reply: 27
That's a good start. More, please!
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 1, 2024, 1:51pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Journalism is at an all time low at the BBC. Full of inaccuracies... I’ve virtually stopped listing to them..

Do you do it on purpose?

Posted by: Mayaman, February 1, 2024, 1:58pm; Reply: 29
Can we crowdfund some titanium knees?
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 1, 2024, 1:59pm; Reply: 30

Do you do it on purpose?

Touché ……predictive text!
Posted by: toontown, February 1, 2024, 1:59pm; Reply: 31
Looks a very good signing in the face of it, exactly what we need, welcome Curtis!
Posted by: Mappers, February 1, 2024, 2:32pm; Reply: 32
Good signing no doubt will improve midfield where we are short , still think we need another senior 1 in there . Let's hope another 4 in at least today RB,LB,CM and maybe even a cherry up top ?
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 1, 2024, 2:35pm; Reply: 33
Quite a lot of Notts County fans seem pretty drunk off that they weren't in for him. Or were but missed out to us.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, February 1, 2024, 3:10pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Mappers
Good signing no doubt will improve midfield where we are short , still think we need another senior 1 in there . Let's hope another 4 in at least today RB,LB,CM and maybe even a cherry up top ?

Surely another CM depends on the Hunt situation…

A winger if Pyke goes. Also I’ll still go on about wanting a grizzled, gnarled beast up top - something I’ve wanted ever since Ryan Taylor pinged his hamstring, which as expected effectively ended his EFL career.

Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, February 1, 2024, 3:19pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Nelly GTFC

Unless we have secretly got him back on loan until the end of the season
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 1, 2024, 3:25pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Surely another CM depends on the Hunt situation…

A winger if Pyke goes. Also I’ll still go on about wanting a grizzled, gnarled beast up top - something I’ve wanted ever since Ryan Taylor pinged his hamstring, which as expected effectively ended his EFL career.

As it stands.  Green, Clifton, Thompson, Andrews, Wood plus the out of favour Holohan and Hunt.   So you've got 5 to cover 3 positions, up to 6 or 7 if we fail to offload both or one of Holohan/Hunt.  Also young Braithwaite too.  I'm unsure on if it will be a case of another coming in just because we lose one more.  Khouri's only on loan for a month too.

Out wide we definitely still need to lose numbers.  Vernam, Eisa, Arthur, Wilson, Pyke and Clifton who can and does operate out wide.  6 covering 2 slots.  If (and I'm talking a big IF), Kirk does come in then surely it's at least one going out.  You could, of course, look at it another way that Wilson and Pyke are seen by Artell as actual strikers and Clifton is solely a midfielder so you're then down to just 3.  But I don't think he's seeing it that way at all.

We really are quite bloated number wise.  
Posted by: The Yard Dog, February 1, 2024, 3:37pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from 1mickylyons

They is only one yard dog
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, February 1, 2024, 4:04pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from diehardmariner

As it stands.  Green, Clifton, Thompson, Andrews, Wood plus the out of favour Holohan and Hunt.   So you've got 5 to cover 3 positions, up to 6 or 7 if we fail to offload both or one of Holohan/Hunt.  Also young Braithwaite too.  I'm unsure on if it will be a case of another coming in just because we lose one more.  Khouri's only on loan for a month too.

Out wide we definitely still need to lose numbers.  Vernam, Eisa, Arthur, Wilson, Pyke and Clifton who can and does operate out wide.  6 covering 2 slots.  If (and I'm talking a big IF), Kirk does come in then surely it's at least one going out.  You could, of course, look at it another way that Wilson and Pyke are seen by Artell as actual strikers and Clifton is solely a midfielder so you're then down to just 3.  But I don't think he's seeing it that way at all.

We really are quite bloated number wise.  

Certainly bloated in places, Obikwu to add to that as well, but then short elsewhere. Actually we need another CB with Waterfall gone, I always thought we need 4 - any news on Tharme’s hamstring looked like a pull not a tear but still be a few weeks I expect.

The main issue I continue to see with the front players is that no one else can play the role that Rose does, hence my irritation about Orsi being let go. Not as good as Rose but capable of playing in the role or alongside him in a 2 up.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 1, 2024, 5:13pm; Reply: 39
Looks like a decent addition on the face of it.
Posted by: Mikey_345, February 1, 2024, 5:21pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Certainly bloated in places, Obikwu to add to that as well, but then short elsewhere. Actually we need another CB with Waterfall gone, I always thought we need 4 - any news on Tharme’s hamstring looked like a pull not a tear but still be a few weeks I expect.

The main issue I continue to see with the front players is that no one else can play the role that Rose does, hence my irritation about Orsi being let go. Not as good as Rose but capable of playing in the role or alongside him in a 2 up.

I’m more comfortable if we have another CB aswell. Thankfully BD seemed to suggest Tharme’s injury isn’t too bad.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 1, 2024, 5:36pm; Reply: 41
Up front is definitely an issue.   It's quite simple at the minute, if Rose is unavailable we're truly copulated.  Obikwu is way, way too inexperienced to do it on his own.  Wilson looks more an impact type sub and Pyke looks far better out wide.  After that we're down to Essel and then Gardner.

I'm almost at the point of discounting both Wilson and Pyke as they don't seem to fit in plans as central strikers nor on the wings.  I'm half expecting both to be going out with a single replacement coming in the other way.

At least at centre-back we've currently got 3 covering 2 places (albeit one maybe injured) but the theory is that Mullarkey could go there (wasn't massively impressed when I saw him there but seen a few things that it's his best position) and I believe Green did a stint for Halifax there too.  

Far from ideal.  But if you present a scenario to me where I have to pick either going with a centre-back pairing of Green and Mullarkey or not having Danny Rose in the side, it's an easy answer.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, February 1, 2024, 5:46pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Mikey_345

I’m more comfortable if we have another CB aswell. Thankfully BD seemed to suggest Tharme’s injury isn’t too bad.

To be fair to PH his 5-4-1 got us out of jail in the league a few times and past Luton and Soton in the Cup. Not an option for us now letting Efete go and with one out injured. Comes back into play assuming a RB comes in if Mullarky goes in the 3

Posted by: gtfc98, February 1, 2024, 5:51pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from RichMariner

Why did you have to remind us of THAT Danny Rose?  ??)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 1, 2024, 5:53pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from diehardmariner
Up front is definitely an issue.   It's quite simple at the minute, if Rose is unavailable we're truly copulated.  Obikwu is way, way too inexperienced to do it on his own.  Wilson looks more an impact type sub and Pyke looks far better out wide.  After that we're down to Essel and then Gardner.

I'm almost at the point of discounting both Wilson and Pyke as they don't seem to fit in plans as central strikers nor on the wings.  I'm half expecting both to be going out with a single replacement coming in the other way.

At least at centre-back we've currently got 3 covering 2 places (albeit one maybe injured) but the theory is that Mullarkey could go there (wasn't massively impressed when I saw him there but seen a few things that it's his best position) and I believe Green did a stint for Halifax there too.  

Far from ideal.  But if you present a scenario to me where I have to pick either going with a centre-back pairing of Green and Mullarkey or not having Danny Rose in the side, it's an easy answer.

The amount of people I've seen listing positions we need players for and not mentioning a striker is frightening. The alternative to Rose is unthinkable at the moment.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 1, 2024, 7:02pm; Reply: 45
Says he was preparing for Cheltenhams game against Wycombe on Saturday, next thing he's signing for Grimsby, so quick turnaround.

Posted by: forza ivano, February 1, 2024, 8:00pm; Reply: 46
both new signings have mentioned their experience and leadership. Happy days
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), February 1, 2024, 8:18pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from forza ivano
both new signings have mentioned their experience and leadership. Happy days

I noticed that too, will be good to have a couple of leaders in the team.

Posted by: Mariner_501, February 1, 2024, 8:59pm; Reply: 48

We once signed a centre half from Halifax who was over the hill and looked like a sh*t signing at the time. He became a club legend.

As much as I love the sentiment, I find it mad when people pull out something that happened once 6000 years ago like it’s a general rule
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 7:02am