Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 31, 2024, 4:32pm
Contract cancelled by mutual consent.
Posted by: MaccasBoots, January 31, 2024, 4:37pm; Reply: 1
Sorry to hear that, but quickly became clear Artell didn't fancy him and perhaps Efete not best suited to the style DA wants to play. Always appreciated his hard work and enjoyed the occasional gut-busting run down the touchline. Thought he was magnificent in the cup run. All the best Michee!
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 31, 2024, 4:38pm; Reply: 2
Tweet 1752731077238550617 will appear here...
Posted by: dicko995, January 31, 2024, 4:39pm; Reply: 3
Just wondering come Saturday if we will have 11 players to put on the pitch, certainly a big clear out. Hope the bar staff have got football boots.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 31, 2024, 4:39pm; Reply: 4
Good luck to Michee. Never gave up but never looked up to this level.
Posted by: SheepGTFC, January 31, 2024, 4:39pm; Reply: 5
Great memories Michee. All the best!
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, January 31, 2024, 4:40pm; Reply: 6
Imagine it's cancelled by mutual consent so he can get fixed up somewhere else
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 31, 2024, 4:42pm; Reply: 7
You’d imagine this means we’ve at least got a RB through the door which is positive news.

Efete certainly divided opinion but can certainly not be accused of not giving it his all, hope he does well at his next club.
Posted by: blundellpork, January 31, 2024, 4:43pm; Reply: 8
Not surprised as Artell clearly doesn’t fancy him.

Whilst I thought we needed better, I don’t believe Mullarkey is it. Fingers crossed better is on their way.,
Posted by: Hagrid, January 31, 2024, 4:45pm; Reply: 9
My thoughts on Michee are well known. Think he was very harshly treated last season by some fans and became a scapegoat. This season when he played, I thought he had done okay, certainly the better of the 2 fullbacks.

All the best Michee. Never let us down
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 31, 2024, 4:54pm; Reply: 10
Perhaps, just perhaps, we're getting 2-3 new decent players in..... wouldn't it be nice. Get back to all moaning about the scotch eggs, weather, 12.30 kick offs...
Posted by: MarinerRob, January 31, 2024, 4:55pm; Reply: 11
Sorry for asking and I am sure the answer is out there somewhere but how many players have Town let go so far? Thanks.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 31, 2024, 4:55pm; Reply: 12
Good luck to him, hope he gets fixed up quickly.

Tweet 1752736220503777346 will appear here...
Posted by: mariner91, January 31, 2024, 5:00pm; Reply: 13
Hopefully means there is an incoming right back. Best of luck to Michee, probably not quite good enough for L2 but was an honest trier and did well for us in the promotion season. Offered some pace and strength which our back line is sorely missing this season and is nowhere near as much of a defensive liability as Mullarkey. Hope he gets fixed up.
Posted by: fishcake63, January 31, 2024, 5:01pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Hagrid
My thoughts on Michee are well known. Think he was very harshly treated last season by some fans and became a scapegoat. This season when he played, I thought he had done okay, certainly the better of the 2 fullbacks.

This 100% hope he enjoys his time at wallsall , cant believe we have who think the current rb is better than michee
Posted by: fishcake63, January 31, 2024, 5:01pm; Reply: 15
fans
Posted by: GrimRob, January 31, 2024, 5:07pm; Reply: 16
Started against Plymouth, Cambridge, Burton, Luton (both games), Southampton and Brighton so will always be remembered as one of the few people who played the last 16 and last 8 of the FA Cup in a Grimsby shirt. Best wishes to him.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 31, 2024, 5:13pm; Reply: 17
Wonder if Hurst will be tempted?
Posted by: immariner, January 31, 2024, 5:40pm; Reply: 18
A paint by numbers type of player, one who never gave less than his all and was solid as a rock in our cup run. The whole of the Conference should be interested in him and I expect he'll sign for someone like Bromley. That said, wouldn't be surprised to see him sign at Sutton. Wish him all the best
Posted by: AncientExiledMariner, January 31, 2024, 5:44pm; Reply: 19
A good guy and a decent defensive RB. Not favoured here so did seem inevitable, so hopefully he goes on and finds something and gets the games he needs.
Posted by: rancido, January 31, 2024, 5:50pm; Reply: 20
Gave his all and was very athletic but I was never convinced that he was good enough for League 2. Wish him all the best for the future.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 31, 2024, 5:50pm; Reply: 21
No worse than that donkey Mullarkey
Posted by: davmariner, January 31, 2024, 5:58pm; Reply: 22
Should have kept him rather than Mullarkey.
Posted by: grassbandits, January 31, 2024, 5:58pm; Reply: 23
Damn! I so wanted him to succeed - was in my sons school class in Norwich : (
Posted by: TERRY CURRANS UNDERPANTS, January 31, 2024, 6:01pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from HertsGTFC
No worse than that donkey Mullarkey

Mule - larkey 🐴
Posted by: Neilo83, January 31, 2024, 6:07pm; Reply: 25
Mularkey is literally stealing a living.. if he put as much time and effort into his football as he does his social media business he’d maybe be a bit better.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, January 31, 2024, 6:17pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Hagrid

Well said - always gave 100%. Will get fixed up quickly in NL I expect.

Posted by: Nelly GTFC, January 31, 2024, 6:22pm; Reply: 27
Tweet 1752755390696055144 will appear here...
Posted by: HerveJosse, January 31, 2024, 6:29pm; Reply: 28
I hope we know what we are doing . I can only use the word hope as far from sure.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 31, 2024, 6:43pm; Reply: 29
Quite evident to my eyes he hasn't been upto his own standards this season.  The Efete I will like to remember was a forward running full back quite fearless in attack. The more recent stop and turn back at every opportunity version I can forget.

Hope he finds a happy home and gets back to his old self.
Thank you Michee
Posted by: Poojah, January 31, 2024, 6:44pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from grassbandits
Damn! I so wanted him to succeed - was in my sons school class in Norwich : (

To be fair it’s no wonder his football suffered with the pressure of all that homework on top.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 31, 2024, 8:54pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from fishcake63

This 100% hope he enjoys his time at wallsall , cant believe we have who think the current rb is better than michee

did I miss summat??
going to miss him, really enjoyed watching him, much maligned. Really thought that with Artell coaching him, an maybe using a sports psychologist he could've kicke on, but never diven a chance.

Best of luck Michee, hope you go on to greater success

Posted by: Mappers, January 31, 2024, 9:07pm; Reply: 32
The first time I saw Michee was against Weymouth I think right back in August 21 - he had a good game that day defensively solid with the odd barnstorming run , I thought we had a real player on our hands he looked the real deal for me and many thought within the first few months he would go onto bigger and better things .

He didn't feature at the back end of 'that' special season with injury cutting his season short , Cropper coming in and us using that extreme long throw to potent effect in the last few months and onto glory .

I honestly thought he would thrive as a league player but the barnstorming runs became less and less frequent , he was hesitant and often reverted to rolling it sideways or backwards ; his desire for adventure looked to be gone with his flaw in concentration exposed on occasion - there were highlights in the cup ,he was excellent and made the FA cup Team Of The Season + there was a goal at Sutton were he looked to have that freedom again , breaking through to slide home and celebrate with that smile he has .

This season he has barely featured , although it was evident at Bradford he was one  Hurst could still trust , bringing him on at left back to negate their lively right winger to good effect .

I liked Michee

Hopefully he gets that sense of adventure & freedom back wherever he ends up .
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 31, 2024, 9:10pm; Reply: 33
We wish him well.
His goal against Hartlepool in our 4-1 loss to Hartlepool was a joy to watch
Posted by: Maringer, January 31, 2024, 9:24pm; Reply: 34
He's an honest player who has played his part in a couple of memorable seasons for the club so he goes with my best wishes. Unless he ends up signing for a relegation rival, of course!
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 31, 2024, 9:37pm; Reply: 35
Really liked Efete, hardworking, dogged, athletic and honest.
Did a great job for us and has been overlooked this season.
He also had some excellent games as a 3rd CB.  

Another player leaving who I'm sad to see go and has achieved something with us.

Sad to see some of the excrement Mularkey is getting. Not the best defender, decent footballer and he tries.
Posted by: HerveJosse, January 31, 2024, 9:50pm; Reply: 36
If  we could have just accepted he was a defender who was difficult to get past and that was it .
Posted by: toontown, January 31, 2024, 11:10pm; Reply: 37
Incredible athlete, rather less credible footballer. I was never a fan to say the least. Gave his all though and that athleticism should allow him to have a full time pro career which wasn't certain by any means when he turned up at town. He did grow on me during his time here tho and he can certainly defend 1 on 1. I think his best position is on the right of a back 3 in a team that doesn't knock it around at the back.

One thing I can recall is that one time he had a head injury and had to go off injured I think. The following week when there was a ball in the air to be won he stuck his head in straight away and didn't shirk at all when he could have been forgiven for hesitating. I thought that showed genuine courage and commitment. Part of a historic cup run team for the mariners, I wish him good luck.
Posted by: thebuckleyway, January 31, 2024, 11:33pm; Reply: 38
I liked him always got the impression he gave his all game in game out and at this point no worse than what we have.
Posted by: Davec, February 1, 2024, 7:20am; Reply: 39
I think I can only agree with the other people on here, very good athlete, quite technically limited but he has some power and he's a strong guy so on the few occasions he has the confidence to try and burst into the box he generally does, Torquay away and Hartlepool at home springs to mind. As for defensively I feel sometimes he is slow at reacting to danger but hes a competent enough basic 1v1 defender, mainly because of his size, will do well at NL level and league 2 level as back up potentially, I wish him well
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 1, 2024, 8:22am; Reply: 40
Always gave 100% can't fault the lad for his effort or attitude whilst at GTFC. Good luck
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 1, 2024, 9:02am; Reply: 41
Just Amos, Holohan and Clifton left from the promotion squad now I think
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 1, 2024, 3:58pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from HerveJosse
If  we could have just accepted he was a defender who was difficult to get past and that was it .

Problem was his defending at times. Now he wasn't/isn't the only defender I've thought needed replacing but he often went missing at the far post as Glennon seems to do now. He seemed to me to lack concentration quite often.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 1, 2024, 4:43pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from arryarryarry

Problem was his defending at times. Now he wasn't/isn't the only defender I've thought needed replacing but he often went missing at the far post as Glennon seems to do now. He seemed to me to lack concentration quite often.

Always struggled with the criticism of his defensive work, yes he made mistakes and gave away the odd goal but, as others have said, he’s a far better defender than Mullarkey and gave us some much needed height and physicality which is totally lacking currently.

Think people tended to get on his back because he didn’t press forward often enough and I understand that but for me a player I liked. The goal I will remember him for is the well worked corner routine v Plymouth in the Cup, great goal great memory.
Posted by: monkeyboy, February 1, 2024, 5:25pm; Reply: 44
I just think Hurst coached the attacking part of his game out of him. Was a real menace when he first joined.
Can just imagine Hurst saying play it safe stop and pass back, we don’t like to score to much.
Posted by: CSLM, February 1, 2024, 5:55pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from monkeyboy
I just think Hurst coached the attacking part of his game out of him. Was a real menace when he first joined.
Can just imagine Hurst saying play it safe stop and pass back, we don’t like to score to much.

Ha, I do agree with the first part. He is another one who has/had potential. Has most of the attributes, apart from possibly the important one.
I remember the Southampton fans were very impressed with him, when he was in a 5 he looked pretty decent.
As mentioned always gave it all, good luck to him.

Posted by: Maringer, February 1, 2024, 5:57pm; Reply: 46
He is strong in the challenge, decent in the air and pretty quick, but he's never going to be a great ball player. I seem to remember reading he was nominally a midfielder when we signed him, but I could be imagining that.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 1, 2024, 7:47pm; Reply: 47
that Torquay goal.........(purrs with delight)
Posted by: Abdul19, February 1, 2024, 7:51pm; Reply: 48
Coached out of him ✔️
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 1, 2024, 9:04pm; Reply: 49
Joined Ross County. Nobody called that!
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 1, 2024, 9:27pm; Reply: 50
It’s a lovely part of the world but blooming cold in winter

Scottish Premiership…..
Posted by: Ashby mariner, February 1, 2024, 9:40pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from forza ivano
that Torquay goal.........(purrs with delight)

Was there at Torquay. He was brilliant that day.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 1, 2024, 11:27pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Always struggled with the criticism of his defensive work, yes he made mistakes and gave away the odd goal but, as others have said, he’s a far better defender than Mullarkey and gave us some much needed height and physicality which is totally lacking currently.

Think people tended to get on his back because he didn’t press forward often enough and I understand that but for me a player I liked. The goal I will remember him for is the well worked corner routine v Plymouth in the Cup, great goal great memory.

I didn't mind him going forward, it was the getting
back that was a problem and was it his last game where he was poor defending for Mansfield's goal?
Posted by: fishcake63, February 2, 2024, 7:56am; Reply: 53
Well i hope he does well didn't realise derek adams manager ex morecombe bradford , think a wingback role is what he been signed for perhaps more suited to that
Posted by: Sigone, February 7, 2024, 9:01pm; Reply: 54
Well Mr Adams didn't last long did he..probably back to Morecombe again.
Posted by: HerveJosse, February 7, 2024, 9:16pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Sigone
Well Mr Adams didn't last long did he..probably back to Morecombe again.

He said that although they are in Scot Prem the players were worse then bottom of EFL league 2 standard .  That sort of thing doesn’t go down well in Scotland  even if it’s true . Mitchee at Rangers next week . Good luck with that
Posted by: GrimPol, February 8, 2024, 7:04pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
It’s a lovely part of the world but blooming cold in winter

Scottish Premiership…..

Strange one this. Can't make it at Grimsby, English 4th tier, but offered a place at Premier Scotland. Erm?
Posted by: fishcake63, February 8, 2024, 7:10pm; Reply: 57
i think he will do well to be honest up there
Posted by: rancido, February 8, 2024, 7:12pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from GrimPol

Strange one this. Can't make it at Grimsby, English 4th tier, but offered a place at Premier Scotland. Erm?

But to be fair Ross County are second to bottom (?) and the manager who took him there has gone.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 8, 2024, 7:14pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from GrimPol

Other than The Old Firm and maybe a couple of others it just illustrates the level that the bottom end of that league actually is, Richard Tait and Craig Clay got promoted with us in 2016 and then walked into deals at Motherwell.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 8, 2024, 9:03pm; Reply: 60
Average 4500 so I'd guess their budget reflects this.
Posted by: HerveJosse, February 14, 2024, 9:39pm; Reply: 61
Holding his own at Ibrox . Played whole game on left side of back three according to BBC line up
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, February 14, 2024, 10:10pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from HerveJosse
Holding his own at Ibrox . Played whole game on left side of back three according to BBC line up

He got the highest rating (5.81) out of the County defenders on the BBC website.

Rangers had 44 shots so it probably felt like playing against Mansfield…

Seriously though, I’m really pleased for him.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 12:31am