Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 23, 2024, 10:56am
https://gtfc.co.uk/cockerill-in-mcmenemys-on-saturday/?fbclid=IwAR0rkiL0sMfow2jjKuy03-czwVNeDExY5PJVHSLyCHlEJfVRCV1e1SZZTTw

Visiting this Saturday. Also, I thought Dave Smith had left. He's down as matchday host.

This might have been a dream but did John Cockerill pass up the opportunity of being GTFC Manager to drive trucks?
Posted by: marinerjase, January 23, 2024, 11:14am; Reply: 1
Didn’t he get overlooked after doing it temporarily?
Posted by: wuffing, January 23, 2024, 2:30pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
https://gtfc.co.uk/cockerill-in-mcmenemys-on-saturday/?fbclid=IwAR0rkiL0sMfow2jjKuy03-czwVNeDExY5PJVHSLyCHlEJfVRCV1e1SZZTTw

Visiting this Saturday. Also, I thought Dave Smith had left. He's down as matchday host.

This might have been a dream but did John Cockerill pass up the opportunity of being GTFC Manager to drive trucks?

Cockers Calling!
Posted by: Captain Sensible, January 23, 2024, 2:45pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

My recollection is that he was miffed at not being offered the job, but the club responded that he hadn't actually applied for it?

Might be talking through my derriere though.
Posted by: cannylad65, January 23, 2024, 4:31pm; Reply: 4
I have it on good authority that he was offered the job, but due to the fact that the board stated there was no money for new players, he turned it down.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, January 23, 2024, 4:51pm; Reply: 5
Rumour at the time was he wanted three players to keep team up one being Gunnar Halle from Oldham.. Kenny Swain said he could keep club up with players we had.. Guess who got job..
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 23, 2024, 4:56pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from cannylad65
I have it on good authority that he was offered the job, but due to the fact that the board stated there was no money for new players, he turned it down.

That’s pretty well what I was told. Ask him on Saturday….
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 23, 2024, 5:07pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Rumour at the time was he wanted three players to keep team up one being Gunnar Halle from Oldham.. Kenny Swain said he could keep club up with players we had.. Guess who got job..

Think Cockers confirmed this when he did the DN35 podcast.

Halle went to Leeds soon after Cockers didn't get the job for £500,000 which gives you an idea of the sort of player Cockers felt we needed...
Posted by: cannylad65, January 24, 2024, 7:19am; Reply: 8
Father Ron (Cannonball Cockerill) was a majestic player for Grimsby Town.
Posted by: Sandford1981, January 24, 2024, 12:58pm; Reply: 9
Watching John Cockerill and Shaun Cunnington together was an absolute pleasure.
John was such a nice bloke too-I met him on many occasions mostly as a young lad and I remember being starstruck but him being so down to earth. I guess that isn’t too surprising as he came from good stock.
A bona fide Town legend!
Posted by: horsforthmariner, January 26, 2024, 12:26pm; Reply: 10
What a player. Him and cunnington dominated the midfield. I was only a kid then bit looking back apart Groves I don’t reckon we’ve had anyone at his level since.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 2:55pm