Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: dicko995, January 8, 2024, 5:33pm
Has sadly died, another star of the game has gone. Was a great servant to Germany team, a great player in his time, R.I.P Franz, and thank you for wonderful memories.
Posted by: chaos33, January 8, 2024, 5:42pm; Reply: 1
The word ‘icon’ is massively overused in society today.
Now this man, was truly deserving. Class act and a model footballer who must’ve inspired so many to play, and play a certain way. RIP.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 8, 2024, 6:01pm; Reply: 2
My first football boots were Adidas Beckenbauer in 1976, RIP to a true legend of the game..
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 8, 2024, 8:31pm; Reply: 3
Possibly Germany's greatest player and they have had a few.
RIP Der Kaiser
Posted by: DB, January 8, 2024, 10:03pm; Reply: 4
RIP Franz, another great player who has passed on. I had the pleasure of watching him in the 1966 World Cup.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, January 9, 2024, 12:35pm; Reply: 5
Undoubtedly changed the game along with Cruyff and the Dutch 74 team. Before that you mostly had the flair and individual brilliance but very loose shape of the South Americans (plus some indisciplined rough stuff) and the disciplined, defence orientated Europeans. Then suddenly every player had to be comfortable on the ball and the shape and discipline were combined with a rapid change of pace when the openings appeared. England were light years behind at the time. The first time I saw it was watching the utter dismantling at Wembley by the Germans in 72.

He was a joy to watch and the Town player I thought was most like his style was Peter Handyside, who probably didn’t fully reach his potential- think he rather liked the shandies didn’t he?

RIP
Print page generated: May 13, 2024, 7:16pm