Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: TAGG, December 28, 2023, 10:40pm
                               Cartwright

Effete.      Waterfall.    Mullarkey   Glennon

Conteh

Gnhoua.        Green            Khan.  

Pyke.        Rose

Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 28, 2023, 10:45pm; Reply: 1
I think I might go with 5 or 6 of that eleven.
Posted by: jimgtfc, December 28, 2023, 10:54pm; Reply: 2
Cartwright

Efete
Waterfall
Maher
Glennon

Conteh
Hunt
Holohan

Gnahoua
Rose
Pyke (if fit)

That would be my 11, can’t see him picking Waterfall though as he doesn’t suit DA’s style.
Posted by: chaos33, December 29, 2023, 5:25am; Reply: 3
Quoted from TAGG
                               Cartwright

Effete.      Waterfall.    Mullarkey   Glennon

Conteh

Gnhoua.        Green            Khan.  

Pyke.        Rose

No thanks, and no chance.
Posted by: lukeo, December 29, 2023, 6:11am; Reply: 4
Cartwright
Efete maher Rodgers mullerky glennon
Green conteh
Holohan
Pyke Rose
Posted by: chaos33, December 29, 2023, 7:46am; Reply: 5
Since Pyke went off last game, isn’t it likely he’s still injured?
Since our defence has been terrible we could bring in Waterfall? Not sure on 5 at the back could be a shout, but don’t know if Artell ever uses that system. Midfielders have all been below par last two games so take your pick. Strikers? Might only have Rose and Eisa to choose from. Obviously doesn’t fancy Khan but could he give him one last crack out of little choice?

When we played Salford at home we were magnificent. It was a really solid performance and the high press worked really effectively on their style. Conteh and Rose and Eisa were all superb. On paper, two weak, underperforming teams, both desperate for 3 points.
Posted by: golfer, December 29, 2023, 8:40am; Reply: 6
I would definitely give Rodgers and Maher a rest. They make too many mistakes and don't seem to gel together.
Posted by: denni266, December 29, 2023, 8:47am; Reply: 7
Is Pyke fit ?
Posted by: HelensburghMariner, December 29, 2023, 9:22am; Reply: 8
So unbothered by the starting XI as long as we leave Salford with 3 points
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, December 29, 2023, 9:31am; Reply: 9
Might give Waterfall a start to cope with big striker Smith. He is Salford top scorer and a handful
Posted by: Poojah, December 29, 2023, 9:51am; Reply: 10
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Might give Waterfall a start to cope with big striker Smith. He is Salford top scorer and a handful

Smith handed us our árses at BP this time last year. Still a real handful at 34. In that context, Waterfall makes sense.

My worry with starting Waterfall is that I feel he’s now too slow to be in a central 2, and if you play a 3 you lose the threat of out attacking wide players, which is arguably the area we have the most strength in depth.

Probably the toughest call of the game for Artell, that one.
Posted by: Stew0_0, December 29, 2023, 10:32am; Reply: 11
                           Cartwright

Mullarkey.   Waterfall.   Maher.    Amos

Green.       Holohan.      Hunt

Gnahoua.                                     Khan
                               Rose
Posted by: golfer, December 29, 2023, 1:42pm; Reply: 12
Cartwright  Effette Waterfall Mullarkey Glennon Holohan Conteh Clifton Pike (Gnahua) Rose Khan
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 29, 2023, 1:57pm; Reply: 13
                           Cartwright

Efete   Mullarkey    Waterfall   Maher   Glennon

Holohan   Hunt    Eisa

Rose   Pyke
Posted by: pontoonlew, December 29, 2023, 2:30pm; Reply: 14
Amazed to see Efete in so many line ups given he played like a competition winner at times on Boxing Day
Posted by: pontoonlew, December 29, 2023, 2:34pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

He coped terribly with Smith last season, this idea that we just throw Waterfall in because somebody has a striker above 6ft is a daft one
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 29, 2023, 2:46pm; Reply: 16
Waterfall will go down in our history books favourably thanks alone to his role in the 21/22 season.  He was literally a rock for us, at both ends of the field.

But he's not up to it anymore, as harsh as that sounds.  Whenever he's come into the team he's looked too slow, too sluggish and generally the game has passed him by.  Even his physical element isn't what it was, when he was brought in against Wrexham to compete with Palmer he was dominated.    

I get that there's a bit of a vibe to bring something different into the backline but I don't see Artell going completely against his new approach of bringing it out from the back (something Waterfall definitely can't do) just because Salford have a bit of a big striker.  Considering he's played a bit at the back before and is far more mobile, I think Green would get the nod if we're going for physicality (I'm not advocating that either).
Posted by: PrestwichMariner, December 29, 2023, 2:53pm; Reply: 17
The amount of rain we've had here in the last couple of days we'd be better off picking a team that can play well in Wellington Boots!
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 29, 2023, 2:57pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
                           Cartwright

Efete   Mullarkey    Waterfall   Maher   Glennon

Holohan   Hunt    Eisa

Rose   Pyke

If Eisa doesn’t score, he contributes nothing. I’d pick Arthur over him any day.
Posted by: TAGG, December 29, 2023, 6:19pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from pontoonlew

He coped terribly with Smith last season, this idea that we just throw Waterfall in because somebody has a striker above 6ft is a daft one

Put him in because the two regulars are so fukin poor.
Posted by: Freemoash88, December 29, 2023, 6:23pm; Reply: 20
Fingers crossed for a result but seeing effete anywhere near our squad pisses me off
Posted by: oochiad, December 29, 2023, 6:48pm; Reply: 21
Efete not in the squad and Vernam as sub……..
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 29, 2023, 7:02pm; Reply: 22
Not a midfield and strike force that fills me with confidence, hopefully I’m wrong but now expect a defeat by at least two goals.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, December 29, 2023, 9:57pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Not a midfield and strike force that fills me with confidence, hopefully I’m wrong but now expect a defeat by at least two goals.

Famous last words
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 30, 2023, 9:25am; Reply: 24
Quoted from diehardmariner
Waterfall will go down in our history books favourably thanks alone to his role in the 21/22 season.  He was literally a rock for us, at both ends of the field.

But he's not up to it anymore, as harsh as that sounds.  Whenever he's come into the team he's looked too slow, too sluggish and generally the game has passed him by.  Even his physical element isn't what it was, when he was brought in against Wrexham to compete with Palmer he was dominated.    

I get that there's a bit of a vibe to bring something different into the backline but I don't see Artell going completely against his new approach of bringing it out from the back (something Waterfall definitely can't do) just because Salford have a bit of a big striker.  Considering he's played a bit at the back before and is far more mobile, I think Green would get the nod if we're going for physicality (I'm not advocating that either).

Happy to eat my words. Waterfall was dominant last night. Salford played into his hands and Smith looks a pale shadow of the player from last season, but Waterfall ate everything up and played his part in keeping it on the deck (in far from perfect conditions).
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 10:26pm