Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: MarinerRob, December 22, 2023, 4:01pm
Just saw  these football results:-

CHRISTMAS DAY 1933: MANCHESTER UNITED 1 GRIMSBY TOWN 3
BOXING DAY 1933: GRIMSBY TOWN 7, MANCHESTER UNITED 3

Shame it was 1933.(ninety years ago) Mariners thrashing The Red Devils. Twice in 26 hours scoring 10 goals.

I can dream (but I don't think in my lifetime)
Posted by: ancientmariner54, December 22, 2023, 6:50pm; Reply: 1
Well done that man ! This is still worth bragging about . U.T.M.
Posted by: HerveJosse, December 22, 2023, 8:53pm; Reply: 2
They must have had a good train service in those days
Posted by: mimma, December 22, 2023, 9:17pm; Reply: 3
Have you, like me, just got your copy of "The Greatest Champions" by any chance? It's the story of the 1933-34 season when we won the old second division title,  and Man. Utd were 3rd from bottom narrowly avoiding relegation to the 3rd div. north.
It's a brilliant read. There's an ad for restaurant car train excursion to Preston to see us play PNE. 7/-  return!  That's about 35p in today's money.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 22, 2023, 9:31pm; Reply: 4
It still rankles with me that Manchester united is the only big name I've not seen Town play in all these years (from 1962/3)

The nearest we got was playing at Old Trafford in about 1964 but against Barrow(!) in an FA Cup second replay. I think we may have got United after the Jevons Liverpool game, but didn't Arsenal knock them out?

We live in hope.
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 22, 2023, 9:59pm; Reply: 5
It still rankles with me that Manchester united is the only big name I've not seen Town play in all these years (from 1962/3)

The nearest we got was playing at Old Trafford in about 1964 but against Barrow(!) in an FA Cup second replay. I think we may have got United after the Jevons Liverpool game, but didn't Arsenal knock them out?

We live in hope.

That’s right about the Arsenal game - I remember fergie played the stiffs and they lost 4-0.

Let’s not forget, if we’d beaten Brighton last season, we’d have played Utd in the semi at Wembley - I still dream about ‘what if’! Ridiculous really,  it that would have been the most surreal experience.
Posted by: mimma, December 22, 2023, 11:33pm; Reply: 6

I'm 70 mate and Man U are the only team I have never seen Town play as well
Posted by: rancido, December 23, 2023, 12:28am; Reply: 7
Quoted from mimma

I'm 70 mate and Man U are the only team I have never seen Town play as well

I'm 75 and neither have I. The last time we played Manure was the 1947/48 (?) season when we got relegated from Div 1. I think we actually beat them and drew with them that season.
Print page generated: May 11, 2024, 7:34pm