Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, December 22, 2023, 3:42pm
Today I was sat waiting to pick my prescription up in my local Pharmacy when Toby Mullarkey come and sat down next to me. I hadn't noticed who it was until he spoke to me, because I was looking at all the latest posts on the Fishy. He asked what the latest rumours were for Town, I answered 'you tell me' and he said 'I wish I knew'

So no inside information from him!

Which Town players have you bumped into over the years, randomly, and where was it?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 22, 2023, 3:47pm; Reply: 1
Today I was sat waiting to pick my prescription up in my local Pharmacy when Toby Mullarkey come and sat down next to me. I hadn't noticed who it was until he spoke to me, because I was looking at all the latest posts on the Fishy. He asked what the latest rumours were for Town, I answered 'you tell me' and he said 'I wish I knew'

Which Town players have you bumped into over the years, randomly, and where was it?

Mark Lever, in Corals regularly.

Tony Gallimore in the Grosvenor, extremely regularly.
Posted by: DB, December 22, 2023, 3:56pm; Reply: 2
Danny Amos at the vets.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), December 22, 2023, 4:00pm; Reply: 3
Not a player, but Lawrie McMenemy at Tidworth in Hampshire when he brought his Southampton side to play us in a game of football as part of a visit to our Battalion.
Posted by: Kris2, December 22, 2023, 4:02pm; Reply: 4
Tony Gallimore in the Baton Rogue or whatever they call it now when I went to watch the football with my dad.

Daryl Clare at Weelsby Woods, had a little kick about with me and my brother, nice guy.

Bradley Allen and Danny Coyne in the Wellow at different times

Peter Bore nearly ran me over one time on Lestrange Street

Danny North, Nathan Jarman, Rob Atkinson in Gullies and was later randomly introduced to their bare arses several times in and outside of Gullies.

Ryan Bennett, Andrew Taylor and various youth team prospects all the time when I lived on Grimsby Road near the Tesco Express, they regularly stopped in there in the morning and afternoons.
Posted by: Chrisblor, December 22, 2023, 4:03pm; Reply: 5
Giles Coke in Hillsborough McDonalds at 11:30pm, the same night him and town had beaten Wrexham 3-1.

Martin Gritton in Gullies on about 400 occasions.

Steve Mildenhall in Cleethorpes Leisure Centre swimming pool.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, December 22, 2023, 4:08pm; Reply: 6
Has urine next to Holloway at S Mimms Services when he was Palace manager. Should’ve made a turn to my right whilst i was in full flow.
Posted by: Hagrid, December 22, 2023, 4:18pm; Reply: 7
Jaysemi on a Night out on Christmas Eve

Sean Scannel 100 times because I swear he never left the Cleethorpes Night scene

Mick Brolly in the Titled Barrell just last year, my old science teacher as well

Michael reddy in Da Vincis
Posted by: livosnose, December 22, 2023, 4:21pm; Reply: 8
Super Clive outside Topaki kebab house Cleethorpes (getting taxi to Sheffield )
Darren Wrack in that underground pub in Louth
Kev Donovan sat behind him on flight to Malaga.
Knicked a benson off Kev Drinkell darlo away once.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 22, 2023, 4:21pm; Reply: 9
James McKeown doing the shopping in Morrisons.
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 22, 2023, 4:48pm; Reply: 10
Ron Rafferty at Cleethorpes bathing pool.

Dave Worthington  often passed in street always had a smile and hello from him.

Dave Boylen our back garden backed on to his digs. back garden

Stuart Brace when I was bus driving.

Trevor Wymark when. I was bus driving.

Ron Cockerill on train from a game in London sat talking all the way home.
Posted by: MidnightMariner, December 22, 2023, 4:52pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Les Brechin
James McKeown doing the shopping in Morrisons.

Was that after he got banned from Tesco 😁😉
Posted by: Son of Cod, December 22, 2023, 5:08pm; Reply: 12
Ben Davies with his family at Barnetby Station a few years ago. I had to think fast and for some reason I said "Alright Benbo." No idea why that came out but it did. He looked at me for a few seconds and then simply turned to his wife and said "have you got the tickets?"
Posted by: Simon, December 22, 2023, 5:14pm; Reply: 13
Done work for Paul Groves when he lived on Hunters Gate in Great Coates, Tony Reese in Westkirk Ave in Scartho and Livvo on Scartho Road if that counts as bumping into them
Posted by: Posh Harry, December 22, 2023, 5:18pm; Reply: 14
Aiden Davison at the airport when about to go on holiday
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 22, 2023, 5:42pm; Reply: 15

I hope you told him never to venture into this forum if he wants to protect his personal well being.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 22, 2023, 5:48pm; Reply: 16
Gregor Robertson, Richard Tait & Marcus Marshall at Lincoln services quite a few times when we were at home the season we came up.

Clive Wiggington fixing the lights in a hair dressers on Hainton Av.

Nathan Arnold in Freshney Place.
Posted by: Freemoash88, December 22, 2023, 5:49pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Hagrid
Jaysemi on a Night out on Christmas Eve

Sean Scannel 100 times because I swear he never left the Cleethorpes Night scene

Mick Brolly in the Titled Barrell just last year, my old science teacher as well

Michael reddy in Da Vincis

Did you go to st marys by any chance?
Posted by: blundellpork, December 22, 2023, 6:04pm; Reply: 18
Seen McKeown and Pearson plenty of times in Cleethorpes Tesco. Also played football with Neil Woods in Waltham park in the early to mid 90’s. He was on crutches and walking his dog, but had a hobble about/ kick about with us for two minutes. As a young kid, it mean a lot
Posted by: Croxton, December 22, 2023, 6:21pm; Reply: 19
JP Kalala the day after he scored against Spurs (Sept 20 2005) out shopping in Sheffield town centre. Accompanied by a gorgeous young woman and very gracious about me disturbing his day off.

Dave Boylen sits just in front of me in The Upper.
Posted by: ska face, December 22, 2023, 6:26pm; Reply: 20
Martin Gritton at Glastonbury.

Martin Gritton at 42s in Manchester when he was playing for Macclesfield (he said Anthony Williams was shíte).
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 22, 2023, 6:44pm; Reply: 21
George Tweedy came to our house with some furniture I did not know who he was  but my dad did and kept him talking for ages.

Ted Buck I had some young lads doing some painting for him so I popped in to see how they were getting on and stayed for about 2hours drinking tea and talking footy with Ted.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, December 22, 2023, 6:51pm; Reply: 22
Steve Livvo at the Hornsea shopping place back in 90’s, Owen Simpson who was friends with a friend, played football against many an ex town player in lincs league and Sunday football and after attending the 1981 PFA awards dinner spent an hour drinking with Joe Waters and Dean Crombie in the Tara Hotel, Kensington. I knew Dean from playing footy in Lincoln and his younger brother Allen played for us.
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 22, 2023, 7:16pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete
George Tweedy came to our house with some furniture I did not know who he was  but my dad did and kept him talking for ages.

Ted Buck I had some young lads doing some painting for him so I popped in to see how they were getting on and stayed for about 2hours drinking tea and talking footy with Ted.

I was born in 1975, but everybody else give up, this f#cking wins!
Posted by: Numanoid, December 22, 2023, 7:51pm; Reply: 24
Literally bumped into Brian Laws in the Black Orchid in Nottingham when he was playing for Forrest
Posted by: friskneymariner, December 22, 2023, 8:18pm; Reply: 25
My dad was a teacher at Wainfleet and used to take the kids to Wembley for the schoolboy internationals.On one occasion  in the mid 60's the whole squad was on the train at King's Cross having played Leyton Orient.Going to the buffet car Charlie Wright and Matt Tees stopped to speak to us and blagged my egg sandwich.  
Posted by: thespiffing, December 22, 2023, 8:37pm; Reply: 26
Chris Nicholl in 1985. I was working in a well known local menswear shop at the time and I sold him a blazer and slacks, and as he left I became one of the first to know he was off to Southampton as manager before any official announcement. A gentleman and he made my day telling me the inside information!
Posted by: Abdul19, December 22, 2023, 8:48pm; Reply: 27
Rob Scott* strolling the narrow streets of Whitby last summer. Mrs Abdul wasn't that interested as I informed her of that viral clip from 2011.

*not a player
Posted by: Germo66, December 22, 2023, 8:50pm; Reply: 28
Tony Ford on the slots down Meggie's, when I was a teenager. Steve Sherwood sold me some insurance when I bought my first house.
Posted by: Les Brechin, December 22, 2023, 9:09pm; Reply: 29
Jack Lester on holiday in Benidorm.
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, December 23, 2023, 12:26am; Reply: 30
Mick Lyons at a house party opposite my parents home in 1987, days after he was sacked by Town. Two things I remember about him, firstly he looked a broken man and secondly the over sized 80’s check suit he was wearing - it felt like he should also have been wearing a red nose and over-sized shoes.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, December 23, 2023, 1:14am; Reply: 31
Crofty when we were house hunting last year
Posted by: Mallyner, December 23, 2023, 9:11am; Reply: 32
Harry Clifton dog walking in Haverstoe Park

Ryan Bennett at a horse racing fund raiser in Clee cricket Club, his girlfriend at the time told him off for betting so much.

Dave Boylen in the Notts

Not a player but Lawrie Mc with Jack Charlton in the Kingsway hotel.

Mick Brolley customer in my shop.

Posted by: DB, December 23, 2023, 10:53am; Reply: 33
Not a player, but George Kerr jet washing my neighbour's drive.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), December 23, 2023, 10:56am; Reply: 34
Don't know if this counts, but I played '3 and in' with Frank Barton when we were kids in Baysgarth Park in Barton upon Humber.  (For those not old enough to know, '3 and in' was 1 v 1 with a tennis ball, 1 in goal the other shooting in, when he scored 3 past the goalie he was then in goal).
Posted by: Andy, December 23, 2023, 11:22am; Reply: 35
Neil Matthews and David Felgate on a weekend in Blackpool.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 23, 2023, 11:29am; Reply: 36
Met Gary birtles  at a hotel in Swindon. Spent over an hour chatting to him after he binned off (then mk franchise manager) Karl Robinson. Also chatted to dele alli before the big time got to him!

Lived across the road from George Tweedy and his wife was good friends with bill carr’s wife and my grandma, so met Bill carr a couple of times too whenever I was made to go to luncheon clubs at the conservative club or to tweedy’s wife’s shop down Grimsby road (Lena triggs)

Used to go to Dominic’s down the high street. Recall once galli offering everyone an arm wrestle for booze!
Posted by: AdamHaddock, December 23, 2023, 11:49am; Reply: 37
Phil Jevons in Freshney Place
Posted by: Yossarian, December 23, 2023, 11:52am; Reply: 38
Clive Mendonca in Greenwich park a few years back when he was playing for Charlton.
Posted by: Poojah, December 23, 2023, 11:56am; Reply: 39
I once went camping with Alex Iwobi and Geoff Shreeves. In all my life I’ve never seen anyone eat so many pickled eggs.
Posted by: Grantley, December 23, 2023, 12:26pm; Reply: 40
Met Craig Clay on a night out in Nottingham, think he was at Orient at the time.
Posted by: LH, December 23, 2023, 12:29pm; Reply: 41
I see Scott Vernon almost weekly walking his dog near mine.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, December 23, 2023, 12:32pm; Reply: 42
Gary Birtles at a house party in Nottingham
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, December 23, 2023, 12:33pm; Reply: 43
Gary Birtles at a house party in Nottingham
Posted by: cannylad65, December 23, 2023, 12:51pm; Reply: 44
I was on the player's plane to Reading from Kirmington Airport April 1980.
Amusingly the players, all as one, clapped the pilot on the safe landing.

I also had a night out with Joe Waters, Dave Moore and their wives, on a couple of occasions to a pub in Tetney.
with a mutual friend and our wives.
My friend and Joe had a video shop in Freeman Street.
Or was it Hainton Avenue?
Time marches on.
Posted by: PaceyMariner, December 23, 2023, 1:14pm; Reply: 45
Mark Lever in the Red Lion in Barton and Mark Lever again in Hull shopping.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, December 23, 2023, 1:31pm; Reply: 46
As a paperboy I delivered to John Cockerill
Posted by: StacyColdicotts_hairline, December 23, 2023, 1:33pm; Reply: 47
Used to bump into George Kerr in Holton le clay regularly, is he still alive ??

Often used to talk to Michael reddy and Gritton outside the barge.
Posted by: coddy60, December 23, 2023, 2:20pm; Reply: 48
Met Crofty in Magaluf, he was on David Dunns stag do, few other players and also Morcambe directors there as well.

We were on a stag do from GY, the stag on ours got jealous of us talking to Dunn and excrement tashed him 😳🤦🏻‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 23, 2023, 2:28pm; Reply: 49
The 1972 promotion winning side wives had a night out together at Laceby I had the pleasure of driving them there.
Posted by: stuart brace was king, December 23, 2023, 3:35pm; Reply: 50
I saw several Town players in the late 70s in the Hainton and (I was told!) they used to retire upstairs and watch artistic  ;) films.

But my favourite memory is when I was younger and spent hours and hours watching Town at the Peak’s Lane  training ground.  One day I was walking along Victoria St with my Dad, aged about 12, and he nudged me saying "look that’s Dave Worthington coming towards us"… and as Dave passed us he nodded down at me and said "Now then Phil, nice to see you"
Made my day and Dad’s face was a picture.

UTM
Posted by: golfer, December 23, 2023, 5:28pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from grimsby pete
Ron Rafferty at Cleethorpes bathing pool.

Dave Worthington  often passed in street always had a smile and hello from him.

Dave Boylen our back garden backed on to his digs. back garden

Stuart Brace when I was bus driving.

Trevor Wymark when. I was bus driving.

Ron Cockerill on train from a game in London sat talking all the way home.

We could do with all 6 playing for us now.
Posted by: ginnywings, December 23, 2023, 7:24pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from AdamHaddock
As a paperboy I delivered to John Cockerill

Often see John walking along the seafront.
Posted by: Mappers, December 23, 2023, 7:47pm; Reply: 53
Used to bump into George Kerr in Holton le clay regularly, is he still alive ??

Often used to talk to Michael reddy and Gritton outside the barge.

Grew up in HLC George was a regular in the Oak this is a few years ago though - not sure if he's still there , John Cockerill lived in the village to as did Arthur Mann - was a lovely guy - I can't say i really bumped into them though as it was my folks taking me on their walks around the village and talking to them .
Posted by: Blundellite, December 24, 2023, 1:18am; Reply: 54
Was on a stag do in Blackpool bout 15 pis#ed up lads Saturday tea time and someone got hold of a footy and said cmon let's have a game on the beach and promptly booted this ball towards the beach only to spoon it down the prom. Ball flew down prom and we shouted to nearest bloke here mate pass us that ball back and when guy stopped it and turned round it was Clive mendonca! (Was around the time he was at Charlton). There he was holding hands with his Mrs down the prom minding his own business next thing being serenaded with super super Clive by a mess of Grimsby fans - he saw the funny side thankfully
Posted by: Brazilnut, December 24, 2023, 11:07am; Reply: 55
Tommy Briggs was my area manager when I worked at Rumbelows

Bobby Cumming and many others in Ritz Cafe on Grimsby Rd
Posted by: stevej7634, December 24, 2023, 11:33am; Reply: 56
Bumped into Josh gowling quite a few times - initially at hospital where he damaged his shoulder, at a kids party and many times around ainsley street.
Danny north - was doing my deliveries when he was working at Blue box
Michael reddy in the exchange when I was DJing lol
Posted by: exiledmeggie, December 24, 2023, 11:37am; Reply: 57
In the 70's used to deliver the Telewag to matt Tees, and the Saturday Telegraph as well!
Posted by: grimsby pete, December 24, 2023, 8:51pm; Reply: 58
I bumped into Tommy Briggs on the football pitch.

It was like hitting a brick wall.

I was only 15 and thought I will flatten him . How wrong was I .
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, December 25, 2023, 12:54am; Reply: 59
Tony Ford, Corporation Road chippy about 20+ year ago.
Danny Butterfield, Andy Love in JD's around 1995
Matthew Bloomer - use to sometimes kip over after a friday night out in the 90s.
Gary Childs, Graham Roger and John McDermott in the Dolphin around 1997?
Daryl Clare, West Marsh Club  ;D
Michael Reddy - Gaza Strip around 2007ish.
Tony Gallimore - chatted to him in Chicagos around 2005, also shared a taxi from town to meggies around 2009
John Fenty - Shoreline HQ in 2009/2010
Dave Boylen - Yarbrough Hotel.
Stuart Watkiss - Same IT course as me around 2008
George Kerr, used to catch the bus home from Town games.
Toto Nsiala in River Island, Christmas Eve 2015, got my pic taken with him.  ;D
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, December 25, 2023, 10:48am; Reply: 60
Happened to stay at the same hotel as Gordon Hobson in Majorca in the late 80’s, when he was playing for Southampton. Had a few enjoyable nights out with him and his lovely wife.
Posted by: Blundellite, December 25, 2023, 12:07pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Happened to stay at the same hotel as Gordon Hobson in Majorca in the late 80’s, when he was playing for Southampton. Had a few enjoyable nights out with him and his lovely wife.

He was a great player. Was Hobson's chippy named after him or just coincidence?
Posted by: Meza, December 25, 2023, 12:42pm; Reply: 62
Tony Ford in Capri pizza got his signature on a napkin lol

Kingsley Black in nunny maternity hospital  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 25, 2023, 12:58pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Blundellite

Nah! Bill Hobson was a local fish merchant and has since had a vineyard at Somerby near Brigg. Thoroughly nice bloke too.
Posted by: smokey111, December 25, 2023, 3:24pm; Reply: 64
Alan Pouton arguing with a fruit machine in the Pier.
Posted by: winghams, December 25, 2023, 5:19pm; Reply: 65
Jimmy Bloomer when he took the old NDLB club in Corporation Road and called it the Tartan Club and booked us as a  local band in there.
Bought Ada's ice cream on Cleethorpes front from Dave Worthington selling it from a van.
Bought goalie gloves from Harry in his sports shop.
Had a fight with Johnny Pearce when I worked at Courtaulds.  Does that count as bumping into?
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, December 25, 2023, 5:44pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Blundellite

Think that was just a coincidence but not 100% sure.

Posted by: promotion plaice, December 25, 2023, 6:09pm; Reply: 67

Met Joe Waters, Mike Lester etc in person at BP back in the day, played pool against Kevin Kilmore in the old Lifeboat pub.
Others in between but had a few convesations with Stuart Watkiss when I worked on the trolleys at Tesco Grimsby, he always knew Craig Disley. would make it when he came through the Mansfield academy.
Many times speaking to Dave Boylen on the prom.
More recently Josh Gowling and his family on a hot summers day on Cleethorpes beach near Brighton Street slipway.
Posted by: PrestwichMariner, December 25, 2023, 8:52pm; Reply: 68
Scott Mcgarvey every weekend in Prestwich Liberal Club
Posted by: mariner tommy, December 25, 2023, 9:31pm; Reply: 69
I know Tony Gallimore quite well, he works for a company that I’ve dealt with for several years until I retired, really decent guy.
Posted by: Spidey, December 26, 2023, 1:19am; Reply: 70
James McKeown at The Company shop.
Ben Davies at The Jet garage A180 a couple of Sundays ago.
Danny North at Tesco Grimsby at midnight queueing for the release of FIFA.
Tony Gallimore sprinting towards Freshney Place when the Town players were doing a JP Trophy/Promotion season book signing.
Andy Love (great bloke) security guard at Boyes.
Graham Rodger at Boyes when I served him with some curtain rail!
Never met t him, but my dad taught Trevor Whymark's wife to drive, think he was living on Wybers at the time.
Alan Buckley at The Grimsby Hall.
I see Stuart Watkiss running through Great Coates.
Justin Whittle held the door open for my missus at the gym at Cleethorpes Leisure Centre.
Paul Wilkinson at Meadowhall.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, December 26, 2023, 4:53am; Reply: 71
Quoted from winghams
Jimmy Bloomer when he took the old NDLB club in Corporation Road and called it the Tartan Club and booked us as a  local band in there.

My dad used to go in there, I'm sure there's a picture somewhere in a photo album. He also used to work with him building bungalows in Cleethorpes/Humberston in the 60s/70s.
Posted by: denni266, December 26, 2023, 8:00am; Reply: 72
Used to work with Brian Bloomer and his dad , God he could tell some stories . And Jimmy who was a director at the time.  Played along side Ray Lancaster for Burtons on a thursday . Joe Waters and Mally Partridge used to take us training when i was at HCCA . Joe nearly took my hands off with a shot that i got in the way of . And as a young lad living right behind the ground  playing kick about wit Sir Matt  jimmy Pennington Brian Hill Graham Taylor  Rod Green. and more ..
Posted by: Meza, December 26, 2023, 8:24am; Reply: 73
Quoted from Meza
Tony Ford in Capri pizza got his signature on a napkin lol

Kingsley Black in nunny maternity hospital  

Oh and played darts with George McClean in the White Knight one boxing day when out with my family,
Posted by: StacyColdicotts_hairline, December 26, 2023, 8:05pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Mappers

Grew up in HLC George was a regular in the Oak this is a few years ago though - not sure if he's still there , John Cockerill lived in the village to as did Arthur Mann - was a lovely guy - I can't say i really bumped into them though as it was my folks taking me on their walks around the village and talking to them .

What about Nigel Bach, is he ever seen  around HLC ? Used to drink in the oak in the 90s.
Posted by: RonMariner, December 26, 2023, 8:07pm; Reply: 75
I have bumped into a few over the years but I never bump into members of this squad because they back away all the time...
Posted by: hheh2, December 26, 2023, 8:07pm; Reply: 76
Josh Gowling at the A&E
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 1:00am