Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: Ruston AT, December 16, 2023, 11:12am

I went into the club shop this week to buy a shirt, the shirt was the price I expected. When I looked at the other fare on sale I was gobsmacked, a bar of chocolate 4.99 , a small wooden chopping board 19.99.
This is not what the GTFC shop is about, there was nothing that I thought that could be a stocking filler.

Does anyone else think that the buyer for the shop has got it wrong? What's changed?
Posted by: LH, December 16, 2023, 11:16am; Reply: 1
Have you been in any other shops lately?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 16, 2023, 11:16am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Ruston AT

I went into the club shop this week to buy a shirt, the shirt was the price I expected. When I looked at the other fare on sale I was gobsmacked, a bar of chocolate 4.99 , a small wooden chopping board 19.99.
This is not what the GTFC shop is about, there was nothing that I thought that could be a stocking filler.

Does anyone else think that the buyer for the shop has got it wrong? What's changed?

The price of everything has gone up, the club shop isn’t exempt from this cost prices will be higher than before, I’d be suprised of margins aren’t similar though.

Posted by: Poojah, December 16, 2023, 11:18am; Reply: 3
Ironically, the person most responsible for those high prices has seemingly had no problem sourcing GTFC merchandise.
Posted by: Neilo83, December 16, 2023, 12:57pm; Reply: 4
Literally everything has got expensive.
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 16, 2023, 1:44pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Neilo83
Literally everything has got expensive.

Anyone who thinks this is down to Brexit should visit mainland Europe at some point - it’s always been more expensive there, and still is.

Liz Truss didn’t help matters, though.
Posted by: gtfc98, December 16, 2023, 2:12pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Ruston AT

Have you ever heard of inflation?
Posted by: gtfc98, December 16, 2023, 2:13pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Heisenberg

Anyone who thinks this is down to Brexit should visit mainland Europe at some point - it’s always been more expensive there, and still is.

Liz Truss didn’t help matters, though.

It seems expensive because the pound is so weak compared to every other significant currency. Nothing to do with Brexit of course.
Posted by: bartgtfc, December 16, 2023, 2:52pm; Reply: 8
Went in myself a few weeks ago and was surprised at some of the prices, especially the chopping board!!
I laser engrave gifts myself in Grimsby & mentioned it to the staff who mentioned they buy the goods online. So passed on my business card but not heard anything back.
I am currently selling GTFC Oak coasters from Ideally Different in Oole Street, Cleethorpes. £1.00 from each sale goes to the Disabled Supporters Club.
Sold around 60 at the moment & just at this minute making some more to go in the shop (only about 30 left).
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 16, 2023, 3:01pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from bartgtfc
Went in myself a few weeks ago and was surprised at some of the prices, especially the chopping board!!
I laser engrave gifts myself in Grimsby & mentioned it to the staff who mentioned they buy the goods online. So passed on my business card but not heard anything back.
I am currently selling GTFC Oak coasters from Ideally Different in Oole Street, Cleethorpes. £1.00 from each sale goes to the Disabled Supporters Club.
Sold around 60 at the moment & just at this minute making some more to go in the shop (only about 30 left).

Oole Road  ;), only know because I used to work at "General Motor Repairs" down there.

Posted by: bartgtfc, December 16, 2023, 3:05pm; Reply: 10
Yep sorry, Oole Road  🤣
Posted by: Bigdog, December 16, 2023, 5:46pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Poojah
Ironically, the person most responsible for those high prices has seemingly had no problem sourcing GTFC merchandise.

Ironically.. there are people out there that still think the prime minister is in charge of the country and its decision making..
Posted by: It Bites, December 16, 2023, 5:47pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Bigdog

Ironically.. there are people out there that still think the prime minister is in charge of the country and its decision making..

Absolutely 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Posted by: HerveJosse, December 16, 2023, 6:06pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Ruston AT

I impulse bought the chocolate bar and they charged me £5.50 so you are lucky
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, December 16, 2023, 6:11pm; Reply: 14
I have to say I agree with Rushton, many items are very expensive and make you think twice about buying. All the headwear is well overpriced at £15 /£16 for a (Boris) bobble hat that could be bought for £3-50 on Freeman St .... well above inflation! Most other items I would say are at least £10 over the odds. This makes it hard work for those on low or fixed incomes who naturally have a better regard for value for money.  
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 16, 2023, 6:16pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from gtfc98

It seems expensive because the pound is so weak compared to every other significant currency. Nothing to do with Brexit of course.

Football related stuff has always been expensive especially with the badge on long before Brexit.

The clothing has always been costly for as long as I remember.
Posted by: 141269 (Guest), December 16, 2023, 6:36pm; Reply: 16
I have to say I agree with Rushton, many items are very expensive and make you think twice about buying. All the headwear is well overpriced at £15 /£16 for a (Boris) bobble hat that could be bought for £3-50 on Freeman St .... well above inflation! Most other items I would say are at least £10 over the odds. This makes it hard work for those on low or fixed incomes who naturally have a better regard for value for money.  

So are you saying you can buy a GTFC bobble hat on Freeman St market for £3.50?
Posted by: heppy88, December 16, 2023, 8:00pm; Reply: 17
Surely anything with GTFC on it, in the big scheme of things is considered a limited run? So will always be more expensive than an item without a logo. At the end of the day the club shop is another revenue stream for the club. If we all want success, the club are going to need all the money they can get!
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, December 16, 2023, 8:33pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Bigdog

Posted by: Simon, December 16, 2023, 9:27pm; Reply: 19
I have a drawer full of bobble hats (who doesn't like a bobble hat when it's cold) and they are all vary in both cost and quality but my three GTFC hat's are by far the best in the collection, i bought one and two were christmas gifts so priceless to me but if you want quality you have to pay for it simples
Posted by: moosey_club, December 16, 2023, 9:36pm; Reply: 20
Consumer choice....
You can choose to buy...
Or choose to walk away.

Market forces will inevitably dictate the price.
Posted by: spartacus, December 16, 2023, 11:47pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Simon
I have a drawer full of bobble hats (who doesn't like a bobble hat when it's cold) and they are all vary in both cost and quality but my three GTFC hat's are by far the best in the collection, i bought one and two were christmas gifts so priceless to me but if you want quality you have to pay for it simples

You say "if you want quality you have to pay for it". Just because you say it, doesn't mean we have to. Next you'll be telling us to "Put your hands on your head" or "Stand on one leg".
Posted by: GibMariner, December 17, 2023, 2:47am; Reply: 22
Have gone up more than inflation to me. Ticket prices also, with two big increases in 3 years.
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 17, 2023, 4:50am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Simon

Same with me. These aren’t just standard hats - if you actually pick them up when in the club shop they have a really high quality lining that most others don’t. That lining is the warmest item of clothing known to man, it’s great!

I’d say they’re worth the money, personally.
Posted by: lukeo, December 17, 2023, 8:01am; Reply: 24
Tickets are standard price and average around the FL I believe?
Regards the club shop prices, when I went in last year although I wanted alot of stuff I had to limit myself due to costs
Posted by: Mappers, December 17, 2023, 8:21am; Reply: 25
Quoted from GibMariner
Have gone up more than inflation to me. Ticket prices also, with two big increases in 3 years.

At the start of the season i looked at ticket prices on the whole and in league 2 we pretty much sat in the middle in terms  average price of season tickets and matchday - there are a few with really low pricing (Mansfield,Bradford Accrington and Morecambe who are around £200 or below for an adult season ticket ) and then Tranmere , Swindon I think who were over £450 .

I don't think our pricing is too bad really .
Posted by: pizzzza, December 17, 2023, 8:41am; Reply: 26
More expensive items is good for season tickets holders who get a 10% discount. As the discount is a percentage, the higher the price the bigger the discount.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, December 17, 2023, 10:17am; Reply: 27
Quoted from pizzzza
More expensive items is good for season tickets holders who get a 10% discount. As the discount is a percentage, the higher the price the bigger the discount.

Season Ticket 10% off a shirt is £4.60p

£10 off a shirt offer is believe it or not £10 !  £5.40p more !

Posted by: Simon, December 17, 2023, 6:38pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from spartacus

You say "if you want quality you have to pay for it". Just because you say it, doesn't mean we have to. Next you'll be telling us to "Put your hands on your head" or "Stand on one leg".

Freemo market for you then  ;D

Posted by: davmariner, December 18, 2023, 12:47pm; Reply: 29
We’ve got to earn our money somehow.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 5:18pm