Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: Mikey_345, December 11, 2023, 8:58am
Hi All,

Nice to start the week having won at the weekend isn’t it!

We’re delighted to say that Jason, Andrew and Debbie will be joining us again on the DN35 Podcast this Thursday at 7pm.

The show will be live, as usual, across YouTube, Twitter and Facebook. As well as being available to download after the event from your usual podcast providers.

If you have a question please follow the below link and we shall do our best to ask it. Please remember to add your name to any question you ask.

https://app.sli.do/event/4hB158RoMzL3WXSoRdQbZM

We try and get through as many of these as we can but are understandably limited for time so that isn’t always possible.

So if you see a question you like the look of and want to hear asked please give it a vote as we will start from the most popular questions and work our way down.

Hopefully having just had a Fans Forum we will be able to avoid the standard stadium/toilet/flasks/capacity updates and go into some areas that are usually less covered.

Thank you to Jason, Andrew and Debbie for once again agreeing to come on and talk to fans. They are always very happy to give up their time to do so.

Mike
Posted by: Abdul19, December 11, 2023, 9:46am; Reply: 1
Do you get annoyed when people post questions on the thread rather than the link?
Posted by: Mikey_345, December 11, 2023, 9:57am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Abdul19
Do you get annoyed when people post questions on the thread rather than the link?

Haha! Not really. In fairness though, if it’s a good question, it just gives me the chance to ‘borrow’ it and look like I’ve come up with a good question myself instead of my usual nonsense! 😂
Posted by: forza ivano, December 14, 2023, 7:02pm; Reply: 3
starting now
Posted by: BenBB, December 14, 2023, 7:55pm; Reply: 4
Concerning about Jason saying that himself and Andrew are going to discuss if they're going to stay about in the new year...
Posted by: Croxton, December 14, 2023, 8:16pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from BenBB
Concerning about Jason saying that himself and Andrew are going to discuss if they're going to stay about in the new year...

I took it as the question of staying as 'Chairman' rather than as Owners.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 14, 2023, 8:27pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Croxton

That’s how I heard it too. JS is being quite careful with his words though.
Posted by: pizzzza, December 14, 2023, 8:27pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Croxton

Please, this is 2023. It's "Chair".
Posted by: Mikey_345, December 14, 2023, 8:37pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That’s how I heard it too. JS is being quite careful with his words though.

Yep this is exactly how I took it. Still looks like it’ll happen, just a question of when is right. They mentioned about obviously now needing to recruit a new CEO. That’s a big change and seems they want to make sure they don’t change to much at once.
Posted by: Croxton, December 14, 2023, 8:59pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from pizzzza

BUT, but, but.......The BBC list David Horton as 'the Chairman of Dibley Parish Council'.    No, no,no... Yes?
Posted by: rancido, December 14, 2023, 9:13pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from pizzzza

Surely if the role is occupied by a male then it's a Chairman. If it was occupied by a female then it would be Chairwoman?
Posted by: Fenners, December 14, 2023, 9:22pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from BenBB

Just to confirm the question was asked around his initial three year period as chair. Not about them at the club. 👍
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 14, 2023, 9:40pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Fenners

Just to confirm the question was asked around his initial three year period as chair. Not about them at the club. 👍

That is good to hear, but what is the rationale behind any decision to change chairman?

Is it for us to hear a different voice, or to take the current incumbent out of the firing line (in the nicest sense) or is it to give someone else the experience of being chairman? Is it common business practice even though the overall aims remain the same?

I obviously should have sent these questions in but I didn't realise it might be imminent.
Posted by: Mikey_345, December 14, 2023, 9:45pm; Reply: 13

That is good to hear, but what is the rationale behind any decision to change chairman?

Is it for us to hear a different voice, or to take the current incumbent out of the firing line (in the nicest sense) or is it to give someone else the experience of being chairman? Is it common business practice even though the overall aims remain the same?

I obviously should have sent these questions in but I didn't realise it might be imminent.

From what they’ve said I think it’s was always for an attempt to share responsibility out and have different voices to challenge.It’s evident the work load is quite big and does take its toll running a club. Seems like Jason and Andrew both do their fair share and the ‘chair’ title might not make much difference to that.

I’d imagine they might look at it once a CEO is in place.
Posted by: Mappers, December 14, 2023, 10:08pm; Reply: 14
Any news on the main stand/findus ?

Out tonight so can't listen unfortunately
Posted by: StacyColdicotts_hairline, December 14, 2023, 10:14pm; Reply: 15
Good listen
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 14, 2023, 10:14pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Mappers
Any news on the main stand/findus ?

Out tonight so can't listen unfortunately

Yup. The Main Stand works will happen next summer with 9 pillars being replaced by 4.

I’d love to think it was important but I’m struggling to see what difference it’ll make. The Main Stand is the ultimate millstone around the club’s neck.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 14, 2023, 10:19pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yup. The Main Stand works will happen next summer with 9 pillars being replaced by 4.

I’d love to think it was important but I’m struggling to see what difference it’ll make. The Main Stand is the ultimate millstone around the club’s neck.

Will some of those 4 be placed in the same place as some of the current 9, or may it put some people into a restricted view? I've not listened yet so this may be answered!
Posted by: lukeo, December 14, 2023, 10:37pm; Reply: 18
Regards atmosphere... when we have the larger section of the osmond can we not use 1 of the blocks as a 'singing section' get a drummer and allow people to move their seats into the section If they want to get involved
Posted by: ska face, December 14, 2023, 10:39pm; Reply: 19

Not seen the interview tonight but imagine they’re referring to one I submitted. Was interested to see what Stockwood had planned as he’d mentioned in a separate interview (below) that he does have his finger in plenty of pies and that he had planned to commit 100% to the club for 3 years (as per what was announced when they took over). Just personally think he has been good for the club, our image & progression in those 3 years.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 15, 2023, 5:54am; Reply: 20
I haven’t listened yet but if there’s a recording I intend to today. Does a new chairman when it happens mean a new investor I wonder?

Though football is a bit different in business you often see that a chairman isn’t the biggest stake holder in the business.
Posted by: Son of Cod, December 15, 2023, 8:11am; Reply: 21
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I haven’t listened yet but if there’s a recording I intend to today. Does a new chairman when it happens mean a new investor I wonder?

Though football is a bit different in business you often see that a chairman isn’t the biggest stake holder in the business.

Recording is up on YouTube and Spotify.
Posted by: ska face, December 15, 2023, 9:42am; Reply: 22
Yeah not a bad listen, nothing groundbreaking. They seem genuinely interested in ways to improve the atmosphere without wanting to go down the forced fun & hymn sheets route you often see.

No idea what the answer is. Been done to death on here & elsewhere.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 15, 2023, 9:56am; Reply: 23
The atmosphere will be great when we start winning with a bit of style, start climbing the table with bigger crowds and especially with the bigger away followings expected in the new year. Think Luton at home last season. Obviously we can't win every game but fans will respond to an attacking team.

It was much improved in the first game under Artell and like he said it could be a cauldron if we get the playing side in order. It was very difficult to get excited before as the football was turgid for the most part.

Posted by: Mappers, December 15, 2023, 9:56am; Reply: 24
Thought it was a decent listen tbf

Obviously the financial hit has been a lot more than they expected (mainly maybe down to more disrepair to BP than expected ?) It seems our former leader got out when this big 10 year ground audit was due hence them having to do all the work we are seeing .

Well done to the DN35 crew .
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 15, 2023, 11:08am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Son of Cod

Recording is up on YouTube and Spotify.

Thanks mate.
Posted by: Maringer, December 15, 2023, 11:26am; Reply: 26
Quoted from ska face
They seem genuinely interested in ways to improve the atmosphere without wanting to go down the forced fun & hymn sheets route you often see.

No idea what the answer is. Been done to death on here & elsewhere.

They need to start putting amphetamines/MDMA in the Bovril. Need to be careful about the dosage, however, as we don't want too many octogenarians obstructing the view as they run up and down in front of the Main Stand throughout the game.
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 15, 2023, 12:53pm; Reply: 27
Halfway through and enjoying it.

Think we might need to start a crowdfunder to get Stockwood a decent internet connection though, bloke consistently sounds like he lives in a glass of water.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), December 15, 2023, 2:48pm; Reply: 28
Given their emphasis on succession planning, I'd assume when Jason steps down as chairperson that Andrew would step up.

Continuity is the prime motivation for succession planning, surely?

Posted by: 141269 (Guest), December 15, 2023, 3:02pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Mappers
Thought it was a decent listen tbf

Obviously the financial hit has been a lot more than they expected (mainly maybe down to more disrepair to BP than expected ?) It seems our former leader got out when this big 10 year ground audit was due hence them having to do all the work we are seeing ..

The painting job on steel that was referred to is the upper.  I eluded to it on another post.  It's about £750k.
Posted by: ska face, December 15, 2023, 3:06pm; Reply: 30
What’s it getting painted in, gold leaf?
Posted by: 141269 (Guest), December 15, 2023, 3:51pm; Reply: 31
The paints a fiver.
The labour to do it along with the scaffolding is a different matter.
Posted by: LH, December 15, 2023, 4:32pm; Reply: 32
If the roof needs painting on the Upper get some of it replaces with something clear so that the flank on that side gets some more sunlight (ala Newcastle’s SJP). It’s always the first bit to deteriorate in Autumn. Or better still get rid of the roof entirely - that’ll put some hairs on ya chest.
Posted by: Croxton, December 15, 2023, 8:27pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from ska face
What’s it getting painted in, gold leaf?

Bet it's the same fire retardant paint I had to use on the steels in my son's new kitchen. Still got the degreaser, wire brushes etc. plus an electric paint sprayer I'm currently using on his masonry.

Scaffolding will cost plenty but I reckon I would be O.K. on ladders from my seat on Row G!  Elf n' Safety would rule me out due to my age though and travel/ accommodation costs wouldn't be cheap.

The days of the willing amateur are sadly behind us.
Posted by: toontown, December 15, 2023, 9:01pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from 141269

The painting job on steel that was referred to is the upper.  I eluded to it on another post.  It's about £750k.

Jeeeeezus!!
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 15, 2023, 9:19pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from 141269

Knock the bloody thing down and save the money for when we can actually afford to move ground. I’m saying that even though my season ticket is up there!!

750k - might as well just burn the cash in the centre circle at half time next home game.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 15, 2023, 9:40pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Croxton

The days of the willing amateur are sadly behind us.

Au contraire Croxton

Lukeo can point you towards some stuff that will make your eyes (and other organs) water
Posted by: RichMariner, December 15, 2023, 10:09pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from rancido

Surely if the role is occupied by a male then it's a Chairman. If it was occupied by a female then it would be Chairwoman?

This was once correct but like policeman and policewoman it's now police officer because it shouldn't matter which sex the person is; they have the same right and the same skillset to do the job. Same goes for firefighter.

Chair is gender neutral. Shouldn't matter if it's a man or a woman. Women who act have been called actors for years, because that's what they are. It was never an exclusively male term. People invented a word like actress to make a point of difference, but at the end of the day they're acting, therefore they're actors.
Posted by: moosey_club, December 16, 2023, 1:53am; Reply: 38
Quoted from diehardmariner
Halfway through and enjoying it.

Think we might need to start a crowdfunder to get Stockwood a decent internet connection though, bloke consistently sounds like he lives in a glass of water.

But......is that glass half full or half empty..eh eh ?
Posted by: rancido, December 16, 2023, 7:12am; Reply: 39
Quoted from RichMariner

This was once correct but like policeman and policewoman it's now police officer because it shouldn't matter which sex the person is; they have the same right and the same skillset to do the job. Same goes for firefighter.

Chair is gender neutral. Shouldn't matter if it's a man or a woman. Women who act have been called actors for years, because that's what they are. It was never an exclusively male term. People invented a word like actress to make a point of difference, but at the end of the day they're acting, therefore they're actors.

I get what you are saying but surely  why then differentiate between sexes at all? We are all people with the same skill sets.  I just can't see what difference it makes as long as the description suits the gender of the person doing the role.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, December 16, 2023, 8:07am; Reply: 40
Quoted from RichMariner

It is still correct and makes no difference to anyone, anywhere.

A chair is for sitting on.
Posted by: pizzzza, December 16, 2023, 8:42am; Reply: 41
Chairthem
Posted by: Brummie Codfather, December 16, 2023, 9:26am; Reply: 42

So is a stool but that’s also a pile of excrement - words can have more than one meaning.
Posted by: Yoda, December 16, 2023, 11:16am; Reply: 43
Please god no more drums they should all be banned.
You don’t want some imbecile banging a drum all match next to you.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, December 16, 2023, 1:24pm; Reply: 44

Can someone do a post on a combination of gender politics and statistics, including Xg, please? I want to see if LCL's head will explode in apoplectic rage.
Posted by: 141269 (Guest), December 16, 2023, 6:32pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Yoda
Please god no more drums they should all be banned.
You don’t want some imbecile banging a drum all match next to you.

We don't want imbeciles posting on here but here you are.

We tolerate you so learn to live with atmosphere at a football match.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 6:35pm