Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, November 22, 2023, 2:21pm
Have been thrown out the FA Cup due to fielding an ineligible player... I can't remember many instances of something like this happening but very strange for a club at the top of L1 to field an ineligible player against Horsham  ;D

Tweet 1727326073170358703 will appear here...
Posted by: Abdul19, November 22, 2023, 2:24pm; Reply: 1
Haha this is exactly the sort of thing I expected us to do back in the JF era.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 22, 2023, 2:25pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Have been thrown out the FA Cup due to fielding an ineligible player... I can't remember many instances of something like this happening but very strange for a club at the top of L1 to field an ineligible player against Horsham  ;D

Tweet 1727326073170358703 will appear here...

Criminal at that level someone is going to be concerned about their job!!!
Posted by: Poojah, November 22, 2023, 2:35pm; Reply: 3
Horsham reinstated. Seems Sam Cosgrove was the ineligible player, but I can’t seem to work out how or why.

https://www.horshamfc.co.uk/2023/11/22/club-statement-emirates-fa-cup/
Posted by: Chalky, November 22, 2023, 2:36pm; Reply: 4
How did they manage to field an ineligible player against Horsham, can’t imagine him being cup tied at that stage so somebody didn’t do basic player checking beforehand
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, November 22, 2023, 2:41pm; Reply: 5
A player on loan at York for first game (did not play for them anyway but not relevant).  Recalled and played in replay.  (This is against FA rules).
Posted by: Poojah, November 22, 2023, 2:42pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Chalky
How did they manage to field an ineligible player against Horsham, can’t imagine him being cup tied at that stage so somebody didn’t do basic player checking beforehand

On further digging, it seems it was Aiden Marsh, who was still on loan at York when the original game was played (Barnsley beat Horsham 3-0 in the relay).

In effect, he had to have been eligible for the original game for him to play in the replay. It seems like a potentially tricky technicality to fall foul of, but perhaps I’m being to easy on people who’s job it is to keep tabs on this sort of thing.
Posted by: bedders78, November 22, 2023, 2:43pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Poojah

On further digging, it seems it was Aiden Marsh, who it seems was still on loan at York when the original game was play (Barnsley beat Horsham 3-0 in the relay).

In effect, he had to have been eligible for the original game for him to play in the replay. It seems like a potentially tricky technicality to fall foul of, but perhaps I’m being to easy on people who’s job it is to keep tabs on this sort of thing.

From the FA Cup rules:

Replays, Postponements and Abandonments
103. Subject to Rule 104, a Player shall only be eligible to play in a Replay, or a Competition Match
that was previously postponed or abandoned if:
103.1. the Player was eligible to play in the original Competition Match; and
103.2. the Player’s registration with the Club has been continuous from the date of the original
Competition Match to the date of the Replay or rearranged Competition Match.
Posted by: Chalky, November 22, 2023, 2:45pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Poojah

On further digging, it seems it was Aiden Marsh, who was still on loan at York when the original game was played (Barnsley beat Horsham 3-0 in the relay).

Ahhh thanks for that Poojah,I didn’t even realise that if you had a player on loan elsewhere they couldn’t play in a replay tbh
Posted by: Poojah, November 22, 2023, 2:48pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from bedders78

From the FA Cup rules:

Replays, Postponements and Abandonments
103. Subject to Rule 104, a Player shall only be eligible to play in a Replay, or a Competition Match
that was previously postponed or abandoned if:
103.1. the Player was eligible to play in the original Competition Match; and
103.2. the Player’s registration with the Club has been continuous from the date of the original
Competition Match to the date of the Replay or rearranged Competition Match.

You'd think in this day and age there'd be some sort of universal computer-based system that keeps a record of appearances, suspensions etc. against each respective competition's rules, but apparently not.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 22, 2023, 3:21pm; Reply: 10
Shame for McAtee, that his 2 goals will be expunged, especially the lob over the keeper, which was arrogant in a good way.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 22, 2023, 4:06pm; Reply: 11
So no goal of the month award for McAtee then.

The FA. Want thier bottle of champers back john.

What do you mean  " you have drunk it "  🤣
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, November 22, 2023, 6:40pm; Reply: 12
Let’s hope the FA are just as rigorous about Man City and Chelsea misdemeanours
Posted by: thevera, November 22, 2023, 8:53pm; Reply: 13
Didn’t we sign someone after the draw with Luton in January but before the reply who couldn’t play in that game but then went on to be involved in subsequent rounds?
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 22, 2023, 9:18pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from thevera
Didn’t we sign someone after the draw with Luton in January but before the reply who couldn’t play in that game but then went on to be involved in subsequent rounds?

Subsequent rounds though not a problem. The  rule is a player needs to be eligible to play in the first game, to take part in any replay in any particular round.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 22, 2023, 9:54pm; Reply: 15
Tinpot from Barnsley...end of.
Posted by: thevera, November 22, 2023, 10:00pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Les Brechin

Subsequent rounds though not a problem. The  rule is a player needs to be eligible to play in the first game, to take part in any replay in any particular round.

Yes, trying to remember who the player in question was!
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, November 22, 2023, 10:46pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from thevera

Yes, trying to remember who the player in question was!

Josh Emmanuel I believe
Posted by: Abdul19, November 22, 2023, 10:46pm; Reply: 18
Dickson-Peters? (Was on the bench at Saints)
Posted by: tashee69, November 23, 2023, 9:55am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Les Brechin

Am I right in assuming then, that if a player is suspended for the first game, he is also unable to play in the replay ?
Posted by: diehardmariner, November 23, 2023, 10:27am; Reply: 20
No I don't think that's the case. As long as they've served their suspension and they were registered, then they become eligible.  

It could though be that the addition of a cup replay means that the replay counts as one of the games the player serves, as long as it's for a red card....confusing I know!

Basically yellow cards are competition specific (5 cards in the league and you're missing a league game, 2 yellows in the cup and you're missing a cup game).  

But a red card in any competition carries a suspension across competitions.  So a player could pick a red card on 1st Jan in the league, with a 3 game ban.  Initially that means they miss the following games:

3rd Jan (FA Cup)
10th Jan (League)
17th Jan (League)

However if the FA Cup game results in a replay (13th Jan) that becomes the third game of the suspension and the player is therefore eligible again for the league game on the 17th Jan.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 4:33pm