Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: barralad, October 31, 2023, 7:58am
Being a sad statto I'm currently trying to establish a list of abandoned games involving Grimsby Town.
When I started watching Town they were very rare. Since the turn of the century we seem to have had more than our share. Can anyone provide dates and scores at time of abandonment for the following recollections please?
1. V Rochdale League 2 game played on New Years Day abandoned at
.half time.
2. Night game v Kidderminster in Conference fog
3. League Cup game v Derby waterlogged..
Posted by: LH, October 31, 2023, 8:00am; Reply: 1
Macc Town H League Cup 2019?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, October 31, 2023, 8:12am; Reply: 2
Rushden and Diamonds at home. 2011 ish

Abandoned because of fog
Posted by: Spurn boy, October 31, 2023, 8:14am; Reply: 3
1993 at home to Sunderland and live tv game which lasted about 8 minutes due to waterlogged pitch, should never have started .
Posted by: Madeleymariner, October 31, 2023, 8:16am; Reply: 4
Sunderland home was on live TV abandoned after about 5 mins I think waterlogged pitch 0-0. Can't for life of me remember when but would guess during ITV digital era
Posted by: barralad, October 31, 2023, 8:22am; Reply: 5
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Rushden and Diamonds at home. 2011 ish

Abandoned because of fog

Thanks mate. This is the game when I thought we were playing Kidderminster! R and D were managed by the late Justin Edinburgh who from memory was a distinctly unhappy bunny when the ref. abandonef the game. Played 15 March 2011. R and D were leading 2-1 when John Fenty came on the pitch and "demanded" the ref abandon the game because the fog was ruining it as a spectacle for the fans. A view entirely unlinked to the fact we were losing 2-1 and down to 10 men.
Posted by: Poojah, October 31, 2023, 8:26am; Reply: 6
Carlisle last season; the third August abandonment at home since 2017.
Posted by: marinerjase, October 31, 2023, 8:30am; Reply: 7
Game at Swindon late 90’s..abandoned after 10 mins or so..we weee already 1 down
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 31, 2023, 8:44am; Reply: 8
Quoted from marinerjase
Game at Swindon late 90’s..abandoned after 10 mins or so..we weee already 1 down

They weren't too happy...

Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, October 31, 2023, 8:49am; Reply: 9
Saw this on the net..

Take matches in the War Cup for example. In the first round of the 1940/41 War Cup Barnsley beat Chesterfield 9-3 on aggregate despite both home and away matches being played at Chesterfield's Saltergate home ground. The second round saw Barnsley drawn against Grimsby Town with their home leg at Oakwell finishing 1-1. The second leg in Cleethorpes was 3-3 at 90 minutes and 3-3 at the end of extra time. The rules were then that the match should be played to the finish - that is to when one of the sides scored a goal! Fifty further minutes passed without another goal and at that point the referee - Flying Officer McKenzie - was called away for urgent RAF duties. Doubtless much to the relief of two tired teams the match was then abandoned. You would have thought a replay would have followed but not so. Because Barnsley were higher placed in the League the tie was awarded to them, Grimsby were not chuffed!
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 31, 2023, 9:00am; Reply: 10
Think it was Carlisle at home last season abandoned after about half hour waterlogged pitch 0-0
Posted by: Abdul19, October 31, 2023, 9:33am; Reply: 11
Quoted from barralad

Thanks mate. This is the game when I thought we were playing Kidderminster! R and D were managed by the late Justin Edinburgh who from memory was a distinctly unhappy bunny when the ref. abandonef the game. Played 15 March 2011. R and D were leading 2-1 when John Fenty came on the pitch and "demanded" the ref abandon the game because the fog was ruining it as a spectacle for the fans. A view entirely unlinked to the fact we were losing 2-1 and down to 10 men.

Alan Connell also fuming, as his goal never happened.
Posted by: shaun the sheep, October 31, 2023, 9:47am; Reply: 12
Rochdale away was Jan 1 05, abandoned due to a waterlogged pitch at Half Time. Pretty sure score was 0-0.
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 31, 2023, 9:51am; Reply: 13
Quoted from shaun the sheep
Rochdale away was Jan 1 05, abandoned due to a waterlogged pitch at Half Time. Pretty sure score was 0-0.

That was my first ever game!
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, October 31, 2023, 9:51am; Reply: 14
Exeter home April 72, fog
Can't remember what happened when it was re-played
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 31, 2023, 10:28am; Reply: 15
Quoted from marinerjase

I bet we were p*ss poor.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 31, 2023, 10:38am; Reply: 16
Quoted from barralad

Rushden V Grimsby - is the word 'spectacle' yours or JSF's?  ;)

I wasn't there but I suspect the fog improved it as a 'spectacle'.
Posted by: scorpio13, October 31, 2023, 11:13am; Reply: 17

Only one of the Mariners' greatest days ever. A 3-0 win with over 22000 fans cheering us on to the title ( old division 4). Tees , Hickman, Chatterley scorers

Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, October 31, 2023, 11:18am; Reply: 18

I couldn't tell you a single thing that happened in that game, we moved seats a good 10 times and still couldn't see a thing.
Posted by: MrThirsty, October 31, 2023, 11:30am; Reply: 19
A game I thought would be abandoned was Wrexham away in the early 80s. The game started in misty conditions and got progressively worse. We were behind the goal and eventually couldn’t see the goal we were attacking in the second half. We only knew we had scored a second goal was when the player returned to restart the game at halfway. Apparently if the ref stood on the centre spot and could see both goals it was deemed fit to play.

As we won 2-nil we were happy enough but I’m sure we wouldn’t have been if we’d lost!
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 31, 2023, 11:38am; Reply: 20
Exeter at home Mcmenemy championship season 71/72 Saturday afternoon sunny day until fog rolled in off the Humber abandoned after about 10 mins half an hour later the fog had gone there were 14k in the ground. Rearranged a few weeks later final game of season 22k in the ground so combined 36k turned up for that fixture
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 31, 2023, 11:41am; Reply: 21
Quoted from MrThirsty
A game I thought would be abandoned was Wrexham away in the early 80s. The game started in misty conditions and got progressively worse. We were behind the goal and eventually couldn’t see the goal we were attacking in the second half. We only knew we had scored a second goal was when the player returned to restart the game at halfway. Apparently if the ref stood on the centre spot and could see both goals it was deemed fit to play.

As we won 2-nil we were happy enough but I’m sure we wouldn’t have been if we’d lost!

I was there that day we had no ideal we had scored would not have continued today
Posted by: Jackie Lewis, October 31, 2023, 11:54am; Reply: 22
Not an abandoned as such but drove to Millwall for the FA cup match in 1982. When we got there it was there sodomist all going on but we were too scared to get of the car and ask anyone on the Old Kent Road to ask what was happening. By the time we found out it had been called off it was too late to get to any other London matches that were on that day.
Didn’t go to the rearranged match and we won 6-1.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, October 31, 2023, 1:17pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Sunderland home was on live TV abandoned after about 5 mins I think waterlogged pitch 0-0. Can't for life of me remember when but would guess during ITV digital era

12th Dec 1993
Posted by: Badger57, October 31, 2023, 1:18pm; Reply: 24
Saturday March 18th 1972.
Town v Exeter City.
Match abandoned after 18 minutes due to fog.
I was in that crowd of 10965.
I THINK we were leading 1-0 at the time.
Daft thing was the fog lifted pretty much as soon as we left the ground as I recall. 😎
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 31, 2023, 1:29pm; Reply: 25
Haven't checked the dates, but I'm sure we arrived at I think Blackburn to find the game called off due to waterlogged pitch and the same at Wrexham away.

Also I thought a game at Swindon was called off just after getting there due to a frozen pitch but I could have dreamt that one.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, October 31, 2023, 2:00pm; Reply: 26
Yes I was at Wrexham that day too, remember asking Nigel Batch who scored
Posted by: mariner83, October 31, 2023, 2:51pm; Reply: 27
I feel like the players have abandoned most this season  :-/
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, October 31, 2023, 3:40pm; Reply: 28
Wasn't therea Forest Green away game abandoned when we were Non League?
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, October 31, 2023, 5:50pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Wasn't therea Forest Green away game abandoned when we were Non League?

There was I was there on that Tuesday night . Lights went out at half time and game got abandoned
Think it was the same season when Wrexham away was abandoned due to a waterlogged pitch at about 2pm lol just as I got there
Posted by: barralad, October 31, 2023, 6:54pm; Reply: 30

Mr Fenty's exact words to the referee as quoted by the Tellywag.
Posted by: lukeo, October 31, 2023, 8:58pm; Reply: 31
I was at the FGR Tuesday night game. I got stuck on the m5 and arrived 5 minutes after kick off for it to be abandoned at half time!

Also remember many years ago Darlington away. It was called off on our way but we didn't know until we arrived. So we went in for a drink at the ground and ended up being taken around by a board of director. We met the players in the changing rooms, toured the stadium and then to top it off they offered us to sit in a box for the replay. I think the replay ended 0 0
Posted by: RonMariner, October 31, 2023, 10:45pm; Reply: 32

I remember that it was glorious sunshine about ten minutes after the game was called off. Still, it made for an epic finale to a spectacular season. One of the truly legendary games.
Posted by: Mallyner, November 1, 2023, 11:28am; Reply: 33

This is the video of the game v Carlisle United; the rain was biblical.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 1, 2023, 8:01pm; Reply: 34
Kirky sent me this to pass on:

Barralad is currently looking for abandoned games that have involved GTFC.  I think the most ironic one was Arsenal in early 1930-31 season.  Abandoned in the 62nd minute due to fog with Town 1-0 up.  When the game was replayed we lost 9-1 our record defeat!  Arsenal went on to be champions...  

When I was working at GTFC the Arsenal historian contacted me wanting to know our team/scorer for the 9-1 defeat.  He didn't know we had been winning the original game.  I can assure you I told him....
Posted by: barralad, November 1, 2023, 10:17pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from GrimRob
Kirky sent me this to pass on:

Barralad is currently looking for abandoned games that have involved GTFC.  I think the most ironic one was Arsenal in early 1930-31 season.  Abandoned in the 62nd minute due to fog with Town 1-0 up.  When the game was replayed we lost 9-1 our record defeat!  Arsenal went on to be champions...  

When I was working at GTFC the Arsenal historian contacted me wanting to know our team/scorer for the 9-1 defeat.  He didn't know we had been winning the original game.  I can assure you I told him....

Brilliant Kirky..thanks very much!
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, November 3, 2023, 4:58pm; Reply: 36
6th February 1960. Division 3 Tranmere away abandoned after 35 minutes. I think (?) we were 1-0 up when the fog/smog descended.
Replayed on 22nd February & of course we lost, 2 - 0.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 4:17am