Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: ska face, October 28, 2023, 6:40pm
The bloke’s been absolutely hammered for weeks on end, maybe justified at times, but he’s undoubtedly delivered some of the best one-off experiences many fans have ever had, or ever will, watching the club. What’s yours?

For me, I don’t think the equaliser at Notts County in the playoffs will ever be matched. It was the absolute last possible throw of the dice, we were all staring another long, hard demoralising 12-months in the conference dead in the eyes, and given our last spell down there we all knew it could be much longer.

The goal was one of those we never seemed to score, mad scramble, keeper in the box, every ricochet just seemed to land inch perfect for us. The celebrations speak for themselves and you could almost physically feel the atmosphere being sucked out of the home end, it was an eery feeling but every in the away end KNEW we’d go on to win that.

Tweet 1528852779875573760 will appear here...

I’ll always be grateful to Hurst for that moment, and plenty more like it.
Posted by: davmariner, October 28, 2023, 6:41pm; Reply: 1
Maguire-Drew goal for me.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 28, 2023, 6:46pm; Reply: 2
So many.

But probably meeting him face to face and seeing what a genuinely good bloke he is.
Posted by: Phil the cod, October 28, 2023, 6:50pm; Reply: 3
This one.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, October 28, 2023, 6:57pm; Reply: 4
The time he cupped his ears at Wembley. A fair few fellas could never get over the sheer, brute force offence it caused them.

Either that or the 5-4 at Wrexham. I wasn't even there but it was the stuff dreams are made of.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 28, 2023, 7:01pm; Reply: 5
Has to be the FA Cup Quarter final, live on BBC1 for the first time ever, even though we did get stuffed. Surreal that we even got that far. Play-offs were amazing but only to us really. The wider football world was much more aware of the Cup.
Posted by: It Bites, October 28, 2023, 7:03pm; Reply: 6
Nathan Arnold goal for me .
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 28, 2023, 7:10pm; Reply: 7
Wembley play off win

First time I’ve ever cried at a game and not ashamed to admit it
Posted by: realist, October 28, 2023, 7:12pm; Reply: 8
The first time he left and the second time he left.
I couldn't stomach his dull defensive style of football
Posted by: Grantley, October 28, 2023, 7:14pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from realist

How empty must your life be
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 28, 2023, 7:15pm; Reply: 10
The Nathan Arnold goal for me closely followed by the Maguire-drew goal.
Posted by: Phil the cod, October 28, 2023, 7:15pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from realist

How dare you taint this thread with your honesty.
What your supposed to do is call for his head, then when it actually happens profess faux sadness and tell everyone what a nice guy he was.
Posted by: realist, October 28, 2023, 7:16pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Grantley

How empty must your life be

A vacuum

Posted by: SpiritOf98, October 28, 2023, 7:33pm; Reply: 13
All three of the play-off games for me. Behind in every game, late, LATE winning goals in all of them....unbelievable. To the point that I was checking the scores 2 months later, just to be sure.
Posted by: spuggybridge, October 28, 2023, 7:37pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
The time he cupped his ears at Wembley. A fair few fellas could never get over the sheer, brute force offence it caused them.

Either that or the 5-4 at Wrexham. I wasn't even there but it was the stuff dreams are made of.

Likewise, I wasn't at the Wrexham game, but what a game that was.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 28, 2023, 7:37pm; Reply: 15
Southampton - the result, the size of the away support, the noise we generated. Not just a Hurst memory but an all time Town memory.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, October 28, 2023, 7:42pm; Reply: 16
When he got me and family kicked out the home end at Notts and sneaking back into the away stand for extra time…
Posted by: toontown, October 28, 2023, 7:44pm; Reply: 17
Plenty of games, mostly in the NL or cup but some in the EFL too. Too many to mention in fact Braintree away stands out, wembley promotion, Morecambe I think it was game at home, notts away in the NL, the cup run obviously.

Most of all though that play off campaign,.utterly incredible and unbelievable - every game under dogs, every game away, every game go behind, every game won late in extra time.even that doesn't do full justice to it, that equaliser against notts with literally 7 seconds left, ricocheting off crocombe. Mani just flipping throwing himself at it with a minute of extra time left. That phenomenal equaliser from mcatee just seconds after Wrexham scored and thought they was gonna steam roller us. That Wrexham game is probably the most enjoyable town match I've ever seen, not the best quality but the most entertaining and full of drama. The Solihull game would be the stuff of legend at most clubs but was sedate compared to the previous two! That campaign was unlike anything I've seen before as a town fan and I flipping loved being part of it!
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, October 28, 2023, 7:44pm; Reply: 18
The whole 22 play offs.  Never known a fortnight like it
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 28, 2023, 7:44pm; Reply: 19
Wembley play off win.
Posted by: mariner91, October 28, 2023, 7:45pm; Reply: 20
Years ago before I was obese I played in one of the chairman’s challenges. During the game, whilst I was brutally shown up by the aging former pros, Rob Scott was bearing down on goal so I decided I’d take him out to stop him scoring.

He immediately and predictably flew into a rage and called me a “FACKING CÜNT”. Meanwhile, Hurst was having a good old chuckle five yards away. He’s a good guy is Paul, I wish him all the best.
Posted by: barralad, October 28, 2023, 7:47pm; Reply: 21
The Southampton game for me. One of the top three nights  in 55 years of following GTFC.
Posted by: mariner83, October 28, 2023, 7:54pm; Reply: 22
2022 play offs even though I only made the final, the whole campaign was just madness.

FA Cup run last season, I think after every draw I'd said "what a excrement draw" never in a million years did I think we'd get to the quarter finals (to the point a small part of me thought we might get to the semis  ;D )

What a difference less than 18 months makes, I wonder what went wrong  :-/
Posted by: LH, October 28, 2023, 8:17pm; Reply: 23
Southampton. Wembley was great but Southampton was seismic in terms of the club’s (and the cup itself) history.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, October 28, 2023, 8:22pm; Reply: 24
The whole play off saga reckon that was my favourite time following town in past 40 years...
Posted by: wuffing, October 28, 2023, 8:31pm; Reply: 25
The play-offs were proper nuts. Three knockout games... you could hardly catch your breath... fairy tale stuff.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 28, 2023, 8:57pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from LH
Southampton. Wembley was great but Southampton was seismic in terms of the club’s (and the cup itself) history.

Aye.

Hurst is the only manager in the entire history of the FA Cup to beat 5 teams from leagues above, in what is known as the competition proper.

That's a legacy he can be proud of, despite anything else.
Posted by: PPMariner, October 28, 2023, 9:03pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

Readily admit I was one.

It wasn't, and never will be, about him. He took part of what should've been a momentous day away in that moment, never to be returned.

UTM
Posted by: Stadium, October 28, 2023, 9:06pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from PPMariner

Readily admit I was one.

It wasn't, and never will be, about him. He took part of what should've been a momentous day away in that moment, never to be returned.

UTM

Quite sad if that really bothers you still ?
Posted by: fishcake63, October 28, 2023, 9:10pm; Reply: 29
wrexham away southampton away absolute class thanks for the memories paul always be thankful from the bottom of my heart
Posted by: PPMariner, October 28, 2023, 9:20pm; Reply: 30
Re. cupping his ears at fans...

He showed his character that day. Did nothing to alter perspective, thereafter - no need to change my opinion of him.
Posted by: Stadium, October 28, 2023, 9:31pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from PPMariner
Re. cupping his ears at fans...

He showed his character that day. Did nothing to alter perspective, thereafter - no need to change my opinion of him.

Dear me, still I suppose some can never accept a mistake & move on.
Seven years later & some still holding a grudge.
Pretty "small club" mentality but thanks for verifying it still exists.

Posted by: mariner83, October 28, 2023, 9:33pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from PPMariner

Readily admit I was one.

UTM

Well yes, his ear cupping did mean our promotion that day was null & void  ::)
Posted by: MarinerWY, October 28, 2023, 9:46pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from PPMariner

Readily admit I was one.

UTM

And the snowflake of the year award goes to...
Posted by: HelensburghMariner, October 28, 2023, 9:47pm; Reply: 34
Watching Town in London last year against Solihull
Glad I was there that day
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, October 28, 2023, 9:50pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from PPMariner

Readily admit I was one.

UTM

Sending thoughts and prayers.
Posted by: gtfc98, October 28, 2023, 9:54pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from PPMariner

Readily admit I was one.

UTM

Oh look it's snowing.
Posted by: Ashby mariner, October 28, 2023, 11:26pm; Reply: 37
For me Wrexham away very greatful to be there.

Also going to so  many away games in the last 2 seasons with my son. Memories me and him will remember for a long time. Up until this season we had seen only 2 defeats in 21 on the road.

Thanks Paul and all the best for the future.
Posted by: RonMariner, October 28, 2023, 11:37pm; Reply: 38

WHS.
Posted by: Heisenberg, October 28, 2023, 11:49pm; Reply: 39
This thread is our whole problem. Lots on here eulogising about winning the non league playoffs. Don’t get me wrong, I shed a tear at West Ham, but right now, so what?  Non league is beneath us, or at least I feel that way. A 3rd stint in NL was coming under Hurst, and I was definitely a stamped-on Hurst fan until very recently.

We cannot allow ourselves to stoop to those levels again. Onwards and upwards - let’s a get a manager who can get us playing and winning again.
Posted by: chaos33, October 29, 2023, 3:11am; Reply: 40
Quoted from realist

Yeah. I was sick of that ‘dull, defensive style of football’ too by the time we’d beaten Wrexham away 5-4 to get into the play off final. F***ing dismal.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 29, 2023, 8:41am; Reply: 41
To be honest, mine has to be when we scored the winner at The London Stadium, camera pans onto Hurst who does a little two handed, rib jabber fist pump, only to realise he's on camera and soon recomposes himself, tickled me...
FA Cup run took some beating, Southampton and Brighton, 2 fantastic days out, fans and club united, and completely won the heart of Ally Mcoist.
Posted by: The Caterham Mariner, October 29, 2023, 8:52am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
To be honest, mine has to be when we scored the winner at The London Stadium, camera pans onto Hurst who does a little two handed, rib jabber fist pump, only to realise he's on camera and soon recomposes himself, tickled me...
FA Cup run took some beating, Southampton and Brighton, 2 fantastic days out, fans and club united, and completely won the heart of Ally Mcoist.

Ally McCoist  is now a secret town fan after that game, i came home the next day and watched the game He was well impressed by us.
UTM
Posted by: Yoda, October 29, 2023, 9:06am; Reply: 43
Wrexham 100%
Posted by: male private Nale, October 29, 2023, 11:52am; Reply: 44
Cupping his ears for me, stuck in my memory ever since.
Posted by: chaos33, October 29, 2023, 11:54am; Reply: 45
Pint of bitter for Nick 🍺
Posted by: Fette Schlange, October 29, 2023, 12:47pm; Reply: 46
Halifax away 2016, we’re flipping spoilt
Posted by: Yoda, October 29, 2023, 5:35pm; Reply: 47
Cupping the ear to his own fans should of been sacked after that gesture on the spot like Doncaster.
Posted by: chaos33, October 29, 2023, 5:37pm; Reply: 48
Yeah, should ‘of’

Posted by: male private Nale, October 29, 2023, 6:09pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from chaos33
Yeah, should ‘of’

Whopper, write it how you say it, as long as you get your point across who cares it's a message board not an English exam.
Posted by: Poojah, October 29, 2023, 6:20pm; Reply: 50

Absolutely this. I feel privileged to have been at all three of those games. Genuinely, of all the millions or even billions of people who follow football around the world, how many have experienced the heights of those emotions, three times in the space of 13 days? It can’t be many.

I will be forever grateful that Paul Hurst was a part of this club’s history. I don’t want this to sound like a eulogy, but I loved the bones of him.
Posted by: always grimsby, October 30, 2023, 9:05pm; Reply: 51
Totally agree
We had booked a holiday in Crete in February when we were not in play offs I went to Notts & Wrexham missed the final watched  via my fire stick went crazy when we won we was withNorthampton & a Coventry fan who both said we was a proper old school football league club I just hope we can turn things round this season and survive
UTM
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 7:30am