Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: Stew0_0, October 18, 2023, 8:32am
Ok. We have to accept there will be no managerial changes before Saturday and personally I hope Hurst comes out of this run and we start picking up points and performances, starting Saturday.

Tough game against league leaders but we have a good record in picking up points at Edgeley and went last year when we won 3-1.
Would like to see us be bold and brave but also plug our leaky defence so was thinking could we line up something like this...

Eastwood

Mullarkey.    Rodgers.    Maher
Efete.                                                             Amos

Clifton.        Conteh.      Holahan

Rose.          Eisa

Wingbacks when attacking, solid back 5 when under pressure.
Bring back in your experienced heads Maher and Holohan whilst still offering there defence with something to think about with 2 up top, Eisa with a free roam between midfield and attack. Wilson on mid-2nd half to add energy and pace.
Posted by: ska face, October 18, 2023, 9:03am; Reply: 1
Stockport 14 - 0 Grimsby Town

Can’t see anything else I’m afraid.

Unbelievable that the away end was sold out before the weekend.
Posted by: denni266, October 18, 2023, 9:07am; Reply: 2
Quoted from ska face

Its a good day out  weather permitting  and where else are you going to see 14 goals on saturday  ;D
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, October 18, 2023, 9:30am; Reply: 3
Think 14-0 might be tongue in cheek.

4-0 or 5-0 possible
Posted by: devs, October 18, 2023, 10:15am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Stew0_0
Ok. We have to accept there will be managerial changes before Saturday and personally I hope Hurst comes out of this run and we start picking up points and performances, starting Saturday.

Tough game against league leaders but we have a good record in picking up points at Edgeley and went last year when we won 3-1.
Would like to see us be bold and brave but also plug our leaky defence so was thinking could we line up something like this...

Eastwood

Mullarkey.    Rodgers.    Maher
Efete.                                                             Amos

Clifton.        Conteh.      Holahan

Rose.          Eisa

Wingbacks when attacking, solid back 5 when under pressure.
Bring back in your experienced heads Maher and Holohan whilst still offering there defence with something to think about with 2 up top, Eisa with a free roam between midfield and attack. Wilson on mid-2nd half to add energy and pace.

I think you mean no managerial changes?
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 18, 2023, 10:27am; Reply: 5
The Accrington game is still lingering like a excrement from a heavy curry the night before I'm afraid.

I've got a ticket but genuinely have zero desire to go and watch us if we're going to put in anywhere near as abject a display as we did at the weekend.

I do admire the enthusiasm and hope of the original poster but I'm struggling to see how any change of formation will make us more solid, I get the idea behind wingbacks but have no confidence in anyone we deploy out wide offering an attacking outlet so it'll just a permanent back 5.

I think our best chance of getting something, even if just a bit of pride, comes from grinding something out in a typical Hurst performance.  With that in mind I probably wouldn't start either Conteh or Eisa.  On paper two of our better players but each has contributed diddly-squat in recent weeks.  The bar is low but if you're underneath that bar at the minute then you definitely don't deserve to play.

I hope we go with the intent to attack and take the game to Stockport, but instead I think we'll go with one up top (Rose).  He'll be ridiculously isolated and then with 20 minutes to go Hurst will throw Wilson and Pyke on (Rose and Eisa coming off, moving to a 5-3-2 formation) with some delusional belief that they'll be able to turn it round from 3-0 down. Around this time Holohan will come on for Conteh who hasn't been within 10 yards of the ball since picking up a 12th minute booking.  With Stockport already having made 5 subs and their foot well and truly off the gas, we might snatch a consolation goal late on.  Post game Hurst will say we were the better team despite the fact Stockport had 37 shots on goal to our 2 efforts (1 on target).
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 18, 2023, 10:41am; Reply: 6
The fact we’re talking about playing for pride in our 14th game of the season is a damning insight into the current state of affairs. I’ll be there, but I’m really regretting getting a ticket based on Saturdays shambolic performance.

Even IF we pick up anything on Saturday, how many of us are confident that’ll somehow be a catalyst to turn us into play-off hopefuls?
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 18, 2023, 11:29am; Reply: 7
With any luck there ground my be blown away in the upcoming storm and it gets postponed until early May when a last minute winner seals our automatic promotion under the current Gateshead manager.
Sorry I was dreaming again
Posted by: Poojah, October 18, 2023, 11:32am; Reply: 8
Quoted from HerveJosse
With any luck there ground my be blown away in the upcoming storm and it gets postponed until early May when a last minute winner seals our automatic promotion under the current Gateshead manager.
Sorry I was dreaming again

It’s a bit soon for that; Rob Elliot hasn’t even had a single game in management yet.
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 18, 2023, 11:36am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Poojah

It’s a bit soon for that; Rob Elliot hasn’t even had a single game in management yet.

OMG missed that MKD Ffs . Another dream shattered.
Posted by: CSLM, October 18, 2023, 11:54am; Reply: 10
Clearly there are problems and things are not going to plan but I doubt we will play as bad as last Saturday.

Stockport are a much better team than Accrington and this does look a worrying fixture but you never know. This group are capable, we just haven't seen anywhere enough of it.

We need to back the team and pull together.
The next 3 or 4 games are pivotal for Hurst I'd imagine.
Posted by: grimps, October 18, 2023, 12:00pm; Reply: 11
There’s some good pubs around the ground , one year I went there and stayed in the pub so that’s always an option if we’re getting battered at half time  
Posted by: Chalky, October 18, 2023, 12:41pm; Reply: 12
Stockport are a good side but they aren’t invincible by any means and I can see getting a draw as possibility even maybe even snatch a lucky win if it’s your day and not theirs,Crawley went there last month and got a 3-3 draw out of it,Stockport will definitely finish top 3 with Mansfield as champions,Stockport have won their games sure but not convincingly considering their opposition,Grimsby have history of going for it against “better” sides and coming out on top,I will be rooting for yer….

But will probably put you down as a loss on the prediction comp
Posted by: headingly_mariner, October 18, 2023, 12:49pm; Reply: 13
They've won 7 on the spin. We've been shite and haven't won away. Reeks of a Town win.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 18, 2023, 1:00pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from ska face

Smaller away allocation now isn't it?
Posted by: Poojah, October 18, 2023, 1:08pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from headingly_mariner
They've won 7 on the spin. We've been shite and haven't won away. Reeks of a Town win.

I completely get this logic, but a Town victory would require such a swing in form from both teams, it seems almost unfathomable.

I haven’t been less confident of a positive result since Brighton announced their line-up for the game back in March.
Posted by: Chalky, October 18, 2023, 1:37pm; Reply: 16
I hope that you lot are going to show the same amount of negativity and despair when Notts come to town 😊
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 18, 2023, 2:02pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from headingly_mariner

That reek is Ska’s tramp friend.

We’ve sucked since that ill gotten win.
Posted by: buckstown, October 18, 2023, 2:09pm; Reply: 18
Well I've just checked the GTFC news on Grimsby Live and it says PH is hoping to have five players back for the Accrington game. Think that pretty much guarantees a much better performance and when we've beaten them, confidence will be on the up for Stockport
Keep your eyes on the telegraph on line for more hot news because I'm sensing an upturn
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 18, 2023, 3:00pm; Reply: 19
3-0 Town win then .
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 18, 2023, 3:06pm; Reply: 20
I am taking a sofa to watch the game behind, like we used to watch the daleks when we were little kids.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 18, 2023, 4:06pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Chalky
I hope that you lot are going to show the same amount of negativity and despair when Notts come to town 😊

I'll start with the negativity and say you can have the points now.  ;)

It's the big giveaway. Just turn up and collect your 3 points.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, October 18, 2023, 4:10pm; Reply: 22
1 - 0 Town 90+6 minutes anyone?
Posted by: ska face, October 18, 2023, 4:18pm; Reply: 23
I wouldn’t suck a tramp off for it.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 18, 2023, 4:56pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from ska face
I wouldn’t suck a tramp off for it.

Dr Freud: that's an interesting comment, how long have you been thinking about performing fellatio on vagrants?......
Posted by: Chalky, October 18, 2023, 5:46pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from ginnywings

I'll start with the negativity and say you can have the points now.  ;)

It's the big giveaway. Just turn up and collect your 3 points.

The week before the Notts game I will come on here and give it the Billy Big balderdash about being the better club with Notts going up which should virtually give Grimsby the win if my eating humble pie over the years is anything to go by 👍
Posted by: BenBB, October 18, 2023, 6:10pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from ska face

I've heard the pies are good there. At least we finally will know the answer to who ate all the pies.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, October 18, 2023, 6:22pm; Reply: 27
I am taking a sofa to watch the game behind, like we used to watch the daleks when we were little kids.

I actually did that, amazing how safe an innocent kid feels behind one. Saved me from lots of monsters back in the day
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 18, 2023, 6:27pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from GYinScuntland

I actually did that, amazing how safe an innocent kid feels behind one. Saved me from lots of monsters back in the day

So did I but the Cybermen scared me more than the Daleks.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), October 18, 2023, 6:46pm; Reply: 29

Nothing scared me after the Daleks - they consumed all my young fear.

Cybermen...pffft...all hiss without the halotosis...
Posted by: GYinScuntland, October 18, 2023, 7:33pm; Reply: 30

The Cybermen were naff all.
Even the Weeping Angels (Doncaster women's institute branch) ran them all the way back to Mondas after they mobbed up with a firm of Silurian under 5's and called it on.
The embarrassment of a pre arranged off with the Daleks going on top when they realised the Daleks could actually climb the stairs to get at them still haunts them.
You'll never hear a Timelord say the Cybermen turned up, wanted it and got a result.
Two bob mob and no mistake.
Posted by: aldi_01, October 19, 2023, 6:28am; Reply: 31
It’s got the hallmarks of a scrappy 1-0 to town, and to sell out is a decent effort.

Personally, I made the decision not to go, not because of performances but because of our fans. People are entitled to an opinion as that’s fine but the moronic response and behaviour of some should the result not be positive is just embarrassing. It’s all the hallmarks of Dagenham or Halifax, even Burton again (minus the destruction of advertising boards).

It’s just not a great feeling being in with those folk.
Posted by: cannylad65, October 19, 2023, 10:45am; Reply: 32
My £10 bet is

£3.81 @ 7.0 for Town to win.

£6.19 @ 4.3 the draw.

Guarantee profit of £16.62
Posted by: AdamHaddock, October 19, 2023, 11:05am; Reply: 33
Hopefully Maher back in the eleven gives us an outside chance of a clean sheet
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 19, 2023, 11:49am; Reply: 34
Quoted from cannylad65
My £10 bet is

£6.19 @ 4.3 the draw.

What happens if/when Stockport win/hammer us?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 19, 2023, 11:51am; Reply: 35
Quoted from cannylad65
My £10 bet is

£6.19 @ 4.3 the draw.

Oh and use proper (fraction) odds lol.
Posted by: mariner91, October 19, 2023, 11:59am; Reply: 36
Quoted from cannylad65
My £10 bet is

£6.19 @ 4.3 the draw.

I'm not sure how this is guaranteed?
Posted by: cannylad65, October 19, 2023, 12:35pm; Reply: 37
It is guaranteed if Town don't lose.
If Stockport win then you lose £10.

Incidentally

Niall Maher to score a header 20/1 anytime.

Harry  100/1 anytime.
Posted by: forza ivano, October 19, 2023, 12:52pm; Reply: 38
haven't we got quite a good record versus Stockport?
Posted by: ska face, October 19, 2023, 12:58pm; Reply: 39
All things must come to an end.

Stockport 15-0 Grimsby Town
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 19, 2023, 1:11pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from aldi_01
It’s got the hallmarks of a scrappy 1-0 to town, and to sell out is a decent effort.

Personally, I made the decision not to go, not because of performances but because of our fans. People are entitled to an opinion as that’s fine but the moronic response and behaviour of some should the result not be positive is just embarrassing. It’s all the hallmarks of Dagenham or Halifax, even Burton again (minus the destruction of advertising boards).

It’s just not a great feeling being in with those folk.

It has got the potential to be a bit toxic towards Hurst I agree. Hopefully that won’t happen.  But I genuinely can’t see it being as bad as Halifax and definitely not Burton.  My worry would be Donny personally !!
Posted by: Hagrid, October 19, 2023, 1:20pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Civvy at last

It has got the potential to be a bit toxic towards Hurst I agree. Hopefully that won’t happen.  But I genuinely can’t see it being as bad as Halifax and definitely not Burton.  My worry would be Donny personally !!

Sorry Situation, Bloke doesn't deserve a " toxic Situation". he's a good honest hard working manager who's done a hell of a lot of good for us, I hope he can pull off one of his trademark backs to the wall away 1-0 wins but with these players I just dont see it
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 19, 2023, 1:41pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Civvy at last

I agree Donny as all the ingredients required for a toxic awayday.However a bit of bravery on his part and a convincing away win he will have 2-3k chanting his name.What a life eh?
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 19, 2023, 1:44pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Hagrid

Sorry Situation, Bloke doesn't deserve a " toxic Situation". he's a good honest hard working manager who's done a hell of a lot of good for us, I hope he can pull off one of his trademark backs to the wall away 1-0 wins but with these players I just dont see it

I think these players are capable of better than scraping 1-0 wins, unfortunately that’s what we set up to do.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 19, 2023, 2:19pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from cannylad65
It is guaranteed if Town don't lose.
If Stockport win then you lose £10.

Incidentally

Niall Maher to score a header 20/1 anytime.

Harry  100/1 anytime.

My advice, take your pick from the left column.

I’m all for having a little bet on Town, but this Saturday looks like it would just be donating money to you preferred bookies.
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 19, 2023, 3:35pm; Reply: 45
As we have beaten them the last three times we have played them won’t they be happy with a draw.
Incremental progress and all that.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 19, 2023, 3:48pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from HerveJosse
As we have beaten them the last three times we have played them won’t they be happy with a draw.
Incremental progress and all that.

I see what you did there.
Print page generated: May 9, 2024, 10:11pm