Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: MarinerRob, October 17, 2023, 7:26pm
What a shame that all matches are not games which you have to win (i.e. cup or playoff game). If so Paul Hurst would seem to be one of the best.

In the last 20 months he has been involved in the following:-
Notts County (away) 1-2
Wrexham (away) 4-5
Solihull (away) 1-2
Plymouth (home) 5-1
Cambridge (away) 0-2
Burton (home) 1-0
Luton (away) 2-2
Luton (home) 3-0
Southampton (away) 1-2
Brighton (away) 5-0

10 games which would have been 25 points out of 30 if there were in the League.
If he did this over the full season (I know totally fantasy land) that would be 115 points - more than Wrexham got in the National League last season.

Why O why can't he set his teams up to win a game rather than setting them up not to lose? Let the other team do the worrying.

I don't think we will ever know the answer to that. A massive massive shame!
Posted by: aldi_01, October 18, 2023, 6:27am; Reply: 1
It’s a valid point but I guess mentality and position within those games comes in.

I’m not saying for one minute Burton or Cambridge are a million miles better than us but they were in a higher division, again, even when faced with the three teams on the playoffs, we were never technically the favourite. Perhaps mentally that makes it easier to prepare? Who knows.

With the exception of Brighton, and possibly parts of the Cambridge game, we were decent in all those games too.

To be fair, we weren’t excrement in the league cup either, Forest were just clinical…
Posted by: Dodorondon, October 18, 2023, 12:50pm; Reply: 2
Our next FA Cup match against Slough is on an artificial pitch.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 18, 2023, 12:57pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Dodorondon

Which will of course be highlighted in the pre match press conferences along with underdogs, it being the fa cup and that they are organised and playing well and effectively have no pressure on them...

Oh and we have lots of injuries.  

Think that will do.
Posted by: Rick12, October 18, 2023, 2:04pm; Reply: 4
A lot to do with psychology. Players can raise their game for a one off and away from the distractions of the league eg new mindset. It's why I feel you sometimes get upsets in cup competitions where 9 times out of 10 a lower league team will never beat a top tier outfit if they played each other regularly . One that stands out is when 4th tier Wrexham beat high flying Arsenal in the early 90s in the old 1st Division now premiership in the FA Cup.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, October 18, 2023, 6:45pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Dodorondon

With goals that are on wheels!

Hopefully this doesn't happen!

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/ynogjo/goal_not_given_after_hitting_the_wheel_inside_the/
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 18, 2023, 6:54pm; Reply: 6
Re the OP:  we also won at Notts County (again) Chesterfield and Stockport in about the same timescale.
Posted by: male private Nale, October 21, 2023, 11:18am; Reply: 7
The only time Hurst plays any type of cavalier football is when it is a one off game.

As soon as points play a part then his whole psyche and approach to games becomes far more conservative (negative), not to lose is far more pertinent than trying to win.

It is as clear as daylight for anyone willing to look unblinkered.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 2:43am