Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: moosey_club, October 15, 2023, 8:53pm
After the EFL Cup game match commentary last week Humberside played a great piece on the 2005 season. It included clips of Tondeur interviewing Whittle and then Shearer. Very funny.
But have just seen the article below which is the first time I have seen this version with Shearer himself pretty much admitting bottling it. 😆

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-shearer-retirement-lightbulb-moment-27912498?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, October 15, 2023, 9:01pm; Reply: 1
I still giggle whenever I see the scar on his lip
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, October 15, 2023, 10:06pm; Reply: 2
Misses the bit out where he did Whittle with an elbow first.
Posted by: mimma, October 15, 2023, 11:05pm; Reply: 3
I was sat in the lower, o the half way line that night. Shearer gave Whittle a forearm smash in the face, first half. Whittle didn't cry like a baby, just got on with it, unllike Shearer. I didn't see the actual elbow on Shearer, but saw his face pouring with blood. From what I saw, after the game on TV, it looked like Whittle put his arm out to protect himself after the elbow in the first half and caught him a good un. Whittle offered him out in the car park after the final whistle, wisely he declined.
Aledgedly, Whittle was named Sunderland player of the month!. The only non Sunderland player to receive it.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 17, 2023, 6:59pm; Reply: 4
In the post match Tondeur /Whittle interview Justin said he didn't start crying or beeling to the ref when Shearer gave him one...he just thought OK I owe you one..
Posted by: scrumble, October 17, 2023, 7:49pm; Reply: 5
I recorded that game and watched some of it as soon as I got home, and I'll never forget Chris Kamaras comments.

Shearers elbow on Whittle "Heh, Whittle will have to get used to that. Thats part of Shearers game" All said with a laugh

Then when Whittle returned the favour Chris was falling apart at the seems about how violent Whittle was. FFS it was hilarious when your mate was dishing it out.  
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, October 18, 2023, 4:30am; Reply: 6
A friend ran a Newcastle webzine and stated that Whittle was a lower league thug.

I remember pointing out he got 4 bookings and 0 red cards in 50 games the previous season.  He was tough but not dirty, but that didn't suit shearers/toon fans story.   And that article is in that vein too.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 18, 2023, 7:07am; Reply: 7
I really don’t like the Geordies been twice with town and once with England and been attacked or verbally abused every time. I’ve worked with Geordies and didn’t particularly like them either , all could give banter out but struggled to take it back a bit like shearer the baby 👩‍🦲
Posted by: denni266, October 18, 2023, 9:03am; Reply: 8
Would have been a fool to take Whittle on
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, October 18, 2023, 11:03am; Reply: 9
Whittle definitely had a look before sending his elbow out, but was clever enough to be looking the other way when the contact happened.  I remember being enraged that career 'hard man' Shearer was happy smashing arms across everyone else' but couldn't take it - at that point in his career he was clearly too used to getting special treatment
Posted by: Poojah, October 18, 2023, 11:07am; Reply: 10
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
Whittle definitely had a look before sending his elbow out, but was clever enough to be looking the other way when the contact happened.  I remember being enraged that career 'hard man' Shearer was happy smashing arms across everyone else' but couldn't take it - at that point in his career he was clearly too used to getting special treatment

Here is the footage of the famous incident. It’s just a shame matches were played under water in those days.

Posted by: headingly_mariner, October 18, 2023, 12:59pm; Reply: 11
It's a brilliant piece of History. He was such a fabulous player Shearer and a brilliantly competitive attitude.

Quite funny that he openly talks about not fancying a ruck with Whittle as being when he knew it was time to retire.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, October 18, 2023, 8:01pm; Reply: 12
Remember it happened right in front of me as I was on the temporary Green seats in the corner and it was obvious on the night that Whittle was just swinging his arms to help him jump, never a foul 😀😀
Print page generated: May 13, 2024, 2:57am