Not in starting 11 or subs for todays 0-0 draw v Cambodia
Posted by: 137 (Guest), October 12, 2023, 3:43pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Not in starting 11 or subs for todays 0-0 draw v Cambodia

Any news on Otis Khan?  ;)
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, October 12, 2023, 3:49pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from 137

Any news on Otis Khan?  ;)

Yes changed his name by deed poll. When asked, Otis said “ it just makes me sound more unique”
Posted by: Dodorondon, October 12, 2023, 3:52pm; Reply: 3
Mr Otis regrets….
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 12, 2023, 3:56pm; Reply: 4
If Otis has flown all the way to Cambodia for no reason it will drive Paul pot-ty
Posted by: chaos33, October 12, 2023, 4:23pm; Reply: 5

Yes changed his name by deed poll. When asked, Otis said “ it just makes me sound more unique”

You can’t be ‘more unique’. You’re unique, or you’re not. Just saying. 🙃
Posted by: chaos33, October 12, 2023, 4:25pm; Reply: 6
If Otis has flown all the way to Cambodia for no reason it will drive Paul pot-ty

Very good.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, October 12, 2023, 4:32pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from chaos33

You can’t be ‘more unique’. You’re unique, or you’re not. Just saying. 🙃

I know someone can’t be very unique but is it not possible to be more unique than not unique?

Posted by: chaos33, October 12, 2023, 4:54pm; Reply: 8
No, course not. You can be more rare. But if you are unique, you are one of a kind. There’s no gradations in it.
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 12, 2023, 5:00pm; Reply: 9
Unbelievably, it sounds like this is why…

Tweet 1712493913242550559 will appear here...
Posted by: chaos33, October 12, 2023, 5:04pm; Reply: 10
Well, if that’s true, it’s a f••k of a long way round the world to drag a person because of a HR/admin error. If I was Otis, or in the Town management I’d be pretty dam pi$$ed off.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, October 12, 2023, 5:11pm; Reply: 11
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 12, 2023, 5:13pm; Reply: 12

It would have given him a lift if selected
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, October 12, 2023, 5:24pm; Reply: 13
Tweet 1712500842601828683 will appear here...
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 12, 2023, 5:25pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

So on that basis he’s presumambly qualified to play for India . I am sure he will be delighted about that.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, October 12, 2023, 5:25pm; Reply: 15
See, if his request to change his name to Hkan, all would be fine.

It seems that his grandfather was born in Delhi. His qualification to play for Pakistan is dependent on his grandfather.

For those Geography students, Delhi is now in India, but was in India prior to 1947 partition. Sorry to be a historical nerd but since I have been challenged on pedantry, I thought I should clear that up.

Sorry to spoil your day….
Posted by: moosey_club, October 12, 2023, 6:06pm; Reply: 16
I smell a back hander ......
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 12, 2023, 6:14pm; Reply: 17
Hmmm…if Otis had been representing one of the petrostates, FIFA would have turned a blind eye, or opened another Swiss bank account for the ‘solidarity donation’.

Tum kutte chode ulu chode hai Gianni.

Justice for Otis Caskhanino
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 12, 2023, 6:33pm; Reply: 18
Otis must be pretty Wilde by now…

Well he was Grimsby based
He had a Fishy wife
He used to play weekends
It was the easy life
But then it turned around
And he began to change
She didn't wonder then
She didn't think it strange
But then he got a call
He had to leave that night
He couldn't say too much
But it would be alright
He didn't need to pack
They'd meet the next night
He had a job to do
Flying to Cambodia

And as the nights passed by
She tried to trace the past
The way he used to look
The way he used to laugh
I guess she'll never know
What got inside his belly
She couldn't make it out
His Grandad from Delhi
He had the saddest eyes
The girl had ever seen
He used to cry some nights
As though he lived a dream
And as she held him close
He used to search her face
As though she knew the truth
Lost inside Cambodia

But then a call came through
FIFA said he'd soon be home
She had to pack a case
And they would make a rendezvous
But now a season has passed
And not a single word
And all the love she knew
Has disappeared out in the haze

(Cambodia, don't cry now, no tears now)
And now the years have passed
With not a single word
But there is only one thing left
I know for sure
She won't see his face again
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 13, 2023, 12:51am; Reply: 19

For those Geography students, Delhi is now in India, but was in India prior to 1947 partition..

That`s cleared that up then.

Posted by: Southwark Mariner, October 13, 2023, 1:22am; Reply: 20
Any chance of changing the thread title now?

Otis Khan't would be my suggestion
Posted by: chaos33, October 13, 2023, 7:17am; Reply: 21

That`s cleared that up then.

😂
Posted by: supertown, October 13, 2023, 8:12am; Reply: 22
See, if his request to change his name to Hkan, all would be fine.

It seems that his grandfather was born in Delhi. His qualification to play for Pakistan is dependent on his grandfather.

For those Geography students, Delhi is now in India, but was in India prior to 1947 partition. Sorry to be a historical nerd but since I have been challenged on pedantry, I thought I should clear that up.

Sorry to spoil your day….

Oh the irony of a pedant getting it all wrong
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 13, 2023, 12:13pm; Reply: 23
Embarrassing nonsense from Fifa messing him around like this. The day before the match they were using his story for their own PR purposes (https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/tournaments/mens/worldcup/articles/otis-khan-interview-world-cup-26-pakistan), and then two hours before kick off he's given some rubbish rationale that where his Grandfather was born affects his eligibility? He's got a Pakistan passport and his granddad was a Pakistan national, what more should even be required?
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 13, 2023, 1:00pm; Reply: 24
I'm not usually keen to defend FIFA, but this is surely on the Pakistan FA rather than FIFA?

I think it's just unfortunate timing that FIFA put out an article the day before it was identified his Pakistani heritage is in doubt.  I can't imagine the Comms team at FIFA have it in their remit to check passports before doing an interview.
Posted by: paulmblythe, October 13, 2023, 1:00pm; Reply: 25
If this doesn't get resolved what does it mean for the 1994 republic of Ireland squad.
Posted by: Marinerdan, October 13, 2023, 1:43pm; Reply: 26
Odd that there was no issues with Laporte representing Spain last night, despite him being born in France, with french parents and French Grandparents!
Posted by: Marinerdan, October 13, 2023, 1:43pm; Reply: 27
Odd that there was no issues with Laporte representing Spain last night, despite him being born in France, with french parents and French Grandparents!
Posted by: Dodorondon, October 13, 2023, 1:55pm; Reply: 28
The door was always open for Laporte ;)
Posted by: mimma, October 13, 2023, 2:41pm; Reply: 29
Khan's story is now on the main BBC news website.
How can he have a Pakistani passport but not represent them? He's already played for them FFS.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, October 13, 2023, 4:41pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from paulmblythe
If this doesn't get resolved what does it mean for the 1994 republic of Ireland squad.

Wasn't the criteria then if you had been to Dublin and drank a pint of Guinness you qualified for the Republic of Ireland team.     ;D ;D ;D

Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, October 13, 2023, 6:15pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Wasn't the criteria then if you had been to Dublin and drank a pint of Guinness you qualified for the Republic of Ireland team.     ;D ;D ;D

No dont be daft! It wasnt that difficult. I heard you could play for the ROI if your best mate's cousin had spoken to someone who lived next door to someone who had been to Dublin.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, October 13, 2023, 8:32pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Dodorondon
The door was always open for Laporte ;)

Chapeau.
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 8, 2023, 11:45am; Reply: 33
Eligibility confirmed:

Tweet 1722196729599267067 will appear here...

Very pleased for him, must have been spectacularly frustrating to miss their previous set of fixtures because of some overly officious FIFA jobsworths.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, November 8, 2023, 11:55am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Chrisblor
Eligibility confirmed:

Tweet 1722196729599267067 will appear here...

Very pleased for him, must have been spectacularly frustrating to miss their previous set of fixtures because of some overly officious FIFA jobsworths.

And also frustrating for Town to not have him available for selection
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, November 8, 2023, 12:24pm; Reply: 35
Best all round for player, club and country!
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, November 8, 2023, 12:27pm; Reply: 36

Nah he’s just gone for a Holiday - on the beach with some fresh fruit, steer clear of the vegetables though…

Posted by: Ash brown, November 8, 2023, 8:31pm; Reply: 37
What exactly are we paying his wages for, so he can Swan off and go play for a team that's one of the worst in the world. He will miss more games for town and run the risk of coming back injured. They never have and probably never will qualify for a major tournament.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 8, 2023, 9:48pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Ash brown
What exactly are we paying his wages for, so he can Swan off and go play for a team that's one of the worst in the world. He will miss more games for town and run the risk of coming back injured. They never have and probably never will qualify for a major tournament.

No doubt they said about Iceland,Panama, Trinidad,Bosnia, Togo, Canada et  etc etc
Pakistan are actually much improved under Stephen Constantine
Posted by: Ash brown, November 8, 2023, 9:52pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from forza ivano

No doubt they said about Iceland,Panama, Trinidad,Bosnia, Togo, Canada et  etc etc
Pakistan are actually much improved under Stephen Constantine

Good for them, personally I only care about town not pakistan
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 9, 2023, 6:54am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Ash brown

As far as I'm aware Pakistan will pay compensation to Grimsby for Otis whilst he's not available to us.
And regardless of what you think, Khan will see it as lot bigger a deal/honour playing for his national team than Grimsby Town FC.
Posted by: Ash brown, November 9, 2023, 8:29am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

As far as I'm aware Pakistan will pay compensation to Grimsby for Otis whilst he's not available to us.
And regardless of what you think, Khan will see it as lot bigger a deal/honour playing for his national team than Grimsby Town FC.

No doubt its good for Khan and its certainly raising his social media presence, is it really 'his' national team though. If he had got an England call up do you think he would be saying that he would rather help his team pakistan?
Posted by: DB, November 9, 2023, 8:40am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Ash brown

You could also have said that about Harry when he was called up for the Welsh squad, but nobody did and they aren't tearing up trees on the international scene. It is good for Khan and good for Town to have an international player in our ranks.

Posted by: Ash brown, November 9, 2023, 8:55am; Reply: 43
Quoted from DB

You could also have said that about Harry when he was called up for the Welsh squad, but nobody did and they aren't tearing up trees on the international scene. It is good for Khan and good for Town to have an international player in our ranks.

I'd sooner khan was playing for us tbh but even if he was playing for England I'd feel the same way.

Posted by: Ash brown, November 9, 2023, 8:55am; Reply: 44
Quoted from DB

I'd sooner khan was playing for us tbh but even if he was playing for England I'd feel the same way.

Posted by: denni266, November 9, 2023, 8:56am; Reply: 45
Part and parcel of the game . Dont think hardley any  player is going to turn down the chance of playing for their country given the chance
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 9, 2023, 9:06am; Reply: 46
Khan is just another in a long line of wide players who start off quite well then drift off into obscurity, so it hasn't been the loss it could have been.

I'm hoping a new manager can get our wide men operating effectively where they can be most use and not be used as auxiliary full backs.
Posted by: Mariner16, November 9, 2023, 11:12pm; Reply: 47
Abo Eisa has also been called up for Sudan
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 16, 2023, 11:15am; Reply: 48
Mentions Otis Khan and Grimsby Town in this article, also Easah Suliman who was on loan here I think around the Jolley era?  Posted late last night - Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-67427645

Main part of the article is about a midfielder Harun Hamid, 19-year-old was released by English second-tier side QPR at the end of last season and currently doesn't play for a professional side. He came on at half-time and his goal was enough to beat Cambodia 1-0 for their first win in five years - putting them through to the second round of qualifying for football's biggest tournament for the first time.
Posted by: Mappers, November 16, 2023, 2:24pm; Reply: 49
Khan is just another in a long line of wide players who start off quite well then drift off into obscurity, so it hasn't been the loss it could have been.

I'm hoping a new manager can get our wide men operating effectively where they can be most use and not be used as auxiliary full backs.

I would have agreed up until Morecambe

He really stepped up his game , to the point I am sad we are without him Saturday .

If Glennon is on the front foot he seems quite good , as he is a relatively intelligent player and uses his overlaps well .

We need more of the same from them both and be playing on the attack for them to work , let's face it they can't defend but Shaun and Ben seem to have at least realised we need to play to strengths more than just trying to negate the opposition so we might get some better fare even when we lose .
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 16, 2023, 4:20pm; Reply: 50
He's playing and captain today according to this.

Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, November 16, 2023, 5:12pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Les Brechin
He's playing and captain today according to this.

Now that is an achievement in itself. Not only picked for 'his' country, but to be given the Captain's armband, regardless of how crap the team are, too is a big plus on his part.

(clap)(clap2)(clap)(clap2)(clap)(clap2)(clap)(clap2)

(groupwave1)(groupwave1)
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, November 16, 2023, 5:14pm; Reply: 52
The match is available to watch on Fawanews now. Currently 1-0 down and nearly half time
Posted by: Mariner16, November 16, 2023, 5:29pm; Reply: 53
Abo Eisa came on at half time to win his first Sudan cap, replacing his brother Mo. They're drawing 1-1 against Togo.
Posted by: Captain Sensible, November 16, 2023, 6:34pm; Reply: 54
Lost 4-0   :(
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 16, 2023, 6:40pm; Reply: 55
Conceded 2 in second half stoppage time, sounds like a very creditable performance by Pakistan against one of the best sides in Asia considering how junk their national team setup has been for the last decade. Seems to be a fair bit of praise for Khan's performance on twitter.
Posted by: IowaMariner, November 16, 2023, 6:40pm; Reply: 56
Looks like they conceded two goals in added time at the end of the game, along with an early goal about 6 mins in. A 2-0 defeat would have been very respectable…
Posted by: forza ivano, November 16, 2023, 7:42pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Chrisblor
Conceded 2 in second half stoppage time, sounds like a very creditable performance by Pakistan against one of the best sides in Asia considering how junk their national team setup has been for the last decade. Seems to be a fair bit of praise for Khan's performance on twitter.

this, indeed. A very creditable performance. Constantine is a bit 'up his own backside' but he is a very effective coach.

Think this means Otis becomes, with the legendary Pat Glover, our most capped player
Posted by: Ash brown, November 17, 2023, 4:42pm; Reply: 58

Now that is an achievement in itself. Not only picked for 'his' country, but to be given the Captain's armband, regardless of how crap the team are, too is a big plus on his part.

(clap)(clap2)(clap)(clap2)(clap)(clap2)(clap)(clap2)

(groupwave1)(groupwave1)

Incredible achievement especially as its 'his' second choice national team
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 21, 2023, 11:43am; Reply: 59
Lost 6-1 at home to Tajikistan today, in their latest qualifier.

Otis played the full game as far as I can see.
Posted by: golfer, November 21, 2023, 12:37pm; Reply: 60
Who do Tajikistan play next ?  Is it Kyrgyzstan or Uzbekistan or Turkmenistan or Kazakhstan ?  Also will Ryanair be running cheap flights.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 21, 2023, 12:44pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Les Brechin
Lost 6-1 at home to Tajikistan today, in their latest qualifier.

Otis played the full game as far as I can see.

OUCH. That's av. bad result, especially coming after such a good performance v. the Saudis.

It does mean, however, that Otis becomes Grimsby Town's most capped ever player

Congratulations Otis(clap2)(clap2)(clap2)(clap2)
Posted by: Poojah, November 21, 2023, 12:55pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from golfer
Who do Tajikistan play next ?  Is it Kyrgyzstan or Uzbekistan or Turkmenistan or Kazakhstan ?  Also will Ryanair be running cheap flights.

Away to Kuzikystan, though it looks as though that game will have to be played at a neutral stadium after a peaceful demonstration turned to bloodshed, as members of the Tzilly tribe flooded Kenpau Square in remembrance of the third aniversary of the Hormsburg massacre.

But finally, some good news out of neighbouring Canduzi, as locals there have reached an uneasy alliance with the bordering Trilicabubsywubsydal.

From BBC World Service
Posted by: spartacus, November 21, 2023, 1:22pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Poojah

Away to Kuzikystan, though it looks as though that game will have to be played at a neutral stadium after a peaceful demonstration turned to bloodshed, as members of the Tzilly tribe flooded Kenpau Square in remembrance of the third aniversary of the Hormsburg massacre.

But finally, some good news out of neighbouring Canduzi, as locals there have reached an uneasy alliance with the bordering Trilicabubsywubsydal.

From BBC World Service

Poojah, you must think we were born yesterday. This is clearly made up as there is just no such thing as a "peaceful demonstration" is these far-flung 'Stans!
Posted by: golfer, November 21, 2023, 5:08pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Poojah

From BBC World Service

Sorry Poojah but you've spelt Trilicabbubsywubsydal wrong. Obviously you didn't do geography at school.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, November 21, 2023, 7:32pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from golfer

They will be but they will land in Hungary.
Posted by: Fenners, November 21, 2023, 7:57pm; Reply: 66
I can't have this counted as our all time most capped Mariner record. Given the opposition and results something needs changing in the recording of these records. Our all-time leading goalscorer guided Wales to the home Nations title. That record cannot be overwritten by this (as much as an achievement it is for Otis). Can we have two records? Am I over-reacting? LOL
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, November 21, 2023, 9:22pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Fenners
I can't have this counted as our all time most capped Mariner record. Given the opposition and results something needs changing in the recording of these records. Our all-time leading goalscorer guided Wales to the home Nations title. That record cannot be overwritten by this (as much as an achievement it is for Otis). Can we have two records? Am I over-reacting? LOL

Why can't 'this' count?
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), November 22, 2023, 10:00am; Reply: 68
Quoted from Fenners

It's nothing to do with the opposition or results, it's most capped, end of story.  Are you over-reacting?  I would say yes.

Posted by: Trevor Whymark, November 22, 2023, 11:59am; Reply: 69
Love  this tune  while waiting at away games at Notts county Bradford Stockport Tranmere Swindon Doncaster Slough Forest Green and oh Wrexham  I'm re writing the lyrics  on Otis Khan  adventures from this song great 60's song take my mind off a few defensive mistakes ....

Where Do You Go to My Lovely
/
Lyrics
You talk like Marlene Dietrich
And you dance like Zizi Jeanmaire
Your clothes are all made by Balmain
And there's diamonds and pearls in your hair, yes, there are
You live in a fancy apartment
Off the Boulevard St. Michel
Where you keep your Rolling Stones records
And a friend of Sacha Distel, yes, you do
But where do you my lovely