Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: Sandford1981, October 2, 2023, 4:23pm
Has died aged 79. He was some player. RIP.
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), October 2, 2023, 4:40pm; Reply: 1
Certainly did not have the physique of a typical footballer, even for the 70s. But yes, incredible player. And could’ve made it in boxing too…
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, October 2, 2023, 4:41pm; Reply: 2
More importantly, he proved a good big ‘un doesn’t always beat a good (and extremely angry) little ‘un.

Posted by: DB, October 2, 2023, 5:04pm; Reply: 3
RIP, a sad loss of a great player.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 2, 2023, 5:07pm; Reply: 4
Loved Franny Lee. Looked more like Charlie Drake than a footballer.

Became a toilet paper tycoon of all things.

RIP.
Posted by: ancientmariner54, October 2, 2023, 7:09pm; Reply: 5
Couldn't see anything wrong with that challenge.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 2, 2023, 7:31pm; Reply: 6
RIP. Franny great football player not a bad boxer either.  ;)
Posted by: HerveJosse, October 2, 2023, 9:31pm; Reply: 7
More importantly, he proved a good big ‘un doesn’t always beat a good (and extremely angry) little ‘un.

I had the pleasure of being at that game at the Baseball Ground. A classic had everything 3-2 to Derby . Two injury time goals including one from one of our own Duncan McKenzie. They don’t make them like that anymore.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 2, 2023, 11:00pm; Reply: 8
I saw him live in 1969/70 at Old Trafford in a Manchester derby.

I was only 15 but remember so many of the greats played that day including Lee but City at the time were a great side, Lee Bell and Summerbee being the stand outs.

I remember City won 2-1 and United were on a downer having just lost an FA Cup semi final.

Crowd of 63k and it was an incredible experience for a schoolboy at the time - I think it was about my first time outside Grimsby!
Posted by: Dodorondon, October 3, 2023, 10:35am; Reply: 9
I believe that when Malcolm Alison was diagnosed with dementia, and had no or little money, Franny Lee and Colin Bell paid for his nursing home where he eventually died.
Posted by: NorfolkImp, October 4, 2023, 8:15am; Reply: 10
Very sad news, a true City great on and off the pitch (although his Chairmanship wasn’t a success result wise)

A fitting statue of him, Bell & Summerbee will hopefully be built behind the new North Stand redevelopment in the next couple of years.

RIP Francis Henry Lee  :'(
Print page generated: May 9, 2024, 11:37pm