Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: MaccasBoots, September 1, 2023, 1:45pm
Out for a few months with a thigh injury.

Might explain why we've been linked with some wingers.
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 1, 2023, 1:45pm; Reply: 1
Out for ‘a few months’

Whilst he’s not started great, it’s really disappointing news as I still feel he can be a huge asset for us this season
Posted by: Hagrid, September 1, 2023, 1:46pm; Reply: 2
Could explain his sub-par performances, hopefully he can come back fit and firing
Posted by: lukeo, September 1, 2023, 1:48pm; Reply: 3
He definitely hasn't been what I hoped and expected as I rare him highly. Hopefully he will make a full recovery and get back to his best for our play off charge.
UTM
Posted by: Poojah, September 1, 2023, 1:50pm; Reply: 4
Needs an op. Adds a little more spice to deadline day, if nothing else.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 1, 2023, 2:34pm; Reply: 5
My memory is letting me down but someone said something about him struggling with something a bit ago. It might have been someone on here, Hurst or could have either been a commentator/co-commentator on one of the game.

But it definitely makes sense with how laboured he looked, definitely didn't seem to have a spring about him.

Rather we get him sorted and back to his best than just persist with him struggling.  Thigh injuries are tricky ones, for Grade 1 and 2 tears you can usually get away with rest and strengthening.  Grade 3's will need an op and then you're talking 'a few months' out.

That he's sorted chuntered on with it, I'm hoping it'll be a Grade 2. Although with him going off at half-time on Tuesday, with no attackers on the bench, would make more sense if it's a Grade 3.  

Edit:  Just seen he needs an op.  Grade 3 it will be then.  See you at Xmas. Grade 4 it is then.  See you err, much later.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, September 1, 2023, 2:51pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from diehardmariner

Edit:  Just seen he needs an op.  Grade 3 it will be then.  See you at Xmas.

Ben Davies said it's a 4C tear, however that affects his recovery.
Posted by: coddy60, September 1, 2023, 3:02pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from diehardmariner
My memory is letting me down but someone said something about him struggling with something a bit ago. It might have been someone on here, Hurst or could have either been a commentator/co-commentator on one of the game.

But it definitely makes sense with how laboured he looked, definitely didn't seem to have a spring about him.

Rather we get him sorted and back to his best than just persist with him struggling.  Thigh injuries are tricky ones, for Grade 1 and 2 tears you can usually get away with rest and strengthening.  Grade 3's will need an op and then you're talking 'a few months' out.

That he's sorted chuntered on with it, I'm hoping it'll be a Grade 2. Although with him going off at half-time on Tuesday, with no attackers on the bench, would make more sense if it's a Grade 3.  

Edit:  Just seen he needs an op.  Grade 3 it will be then.  See you at Xmas.

Think it was along the lines of he had some minor knee surgery...
Posted by: golfer, September 1, 2023, 3:19pm; Reply: 8
If he was injured he should not have been playing at all and then it might not have ended up as serious as it is.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 1, 2023, 3:27pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from golfer
If he was injured he should not have been playing at all and then it might not have ended up as serious as it is.

I think playing is stretching it…

In truth, if fit and at it he can be a huge player in our squad, as is, other than losing a body, I don’t see how we’re missing out. Very different to say Mcatee last year.

Suspect we’ll see him around Christmas time…
Posted by: male private Nale, September 1, 2023, 3:48pm; Reply: 10
This will go down as one of Hurst’s worst decisions in giving him a 3 year gold plated contract. It seemed we had to have him at all costs . Consistently underwhelms bar a few games under holloway.
Posted by: HerveJosse, September 1, 2023, 3:52pm; Reply: 11
He hasn’t been playing with a grade 4 tear
Posted by: aldi_01, September 1, 2023, 3:53pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from male private Nale
This will go down as one of Hurst’s worst decisions in giving him a 3 year gold plated contract. It seemed we had to have him at all costs . Consistently underwhelms bar a few games under holloway.

I’m not gonna say it’s one of Hursts worst decisions but I’d tend to agree. Even under Holloway he wasn’t consistently great and in truth, he stood out in his time here previously because we were a bit excrement..,
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 1, 2023, 4:04pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from HerveJosse

Not a chance!  A 4C tear is a full tear of both the muscle and the tendon.  That'll have felt like someone's shot him.  You're not even walking properly with that.

If this is the case 'a few months' is incredibly hopeful to say the least.  Recovery timeline is always subjective to the varying factors and the individual as well.  Sadly once the tendon is impacted there's a significantly higher chance of reoccurrence, which makes it absolutely essential you get that rehab done correctly and at an appropriate pace.  

Feel for the lad, I really do.
Posted by: Maringer, September 1, 2023, 4:07pm; Reply: 14
Surely, with two threads merged, the correct title should be Vernams?

He's been disappointing since his return but, if he's been playing with a thigh injury, it would perhaps explain why he's been so much out of sorts.

Back when I played, I battled on with a minor thigh injury which really didn't hurt too badly but slowed me down a bit but then a long-standing knee problem began to hurt more. Physio confirmed that the damaged thigh muscle had destabilised the knee and, after a month or two of exercises, both of the injuries sorted themselves out.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 1, 2023, 4:12pm; Reply: 15
Yep, very much the prevention rather than the cure concept.  Good physios get to the root cause and diagnosis the problem rather than the symptoms.  

Hammy's are often linked with knee problems but unfortunately the body is wonderful at masking problems.  
Posted by: male private Nale, September 1, 2023, 4:39pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from HerveJosse

Like hell he has , you obviously don’t know what a grade 4 tear is.

Posted by: HerveJosse, September 1, 2023, 4:45pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from male private Nale

Like hell he has , you obviously don’t know what a grade 4 tear is.

I said he hasn’t been playing with a grade 4 tier.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 1, 2023, 4:53pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from aldi_01

I’m not gonna say it’s one of Hursts worst decisions but I’d tend to agree. Even under Holloway he wasn’t consistently great and in truth, he stood out in his time here previously because we were a bit excrement..,

His best spell came when we were playing some of the best stuff we've played for a long time.  It's not a high bar but his purple patch, if you want to call it that, was December '19 to March '20.  He'd struggled under Jolley, got farmed out to Chorley on loan and found a bit of confidence.  Limbrick brought him back into the fold and he got better, bit by by bit.  Holloway charmed him and filled him with belief, which ultimately is what got him the option to move on.

He then went up a level and did ok.  Didn't tear up trees but did ok in a struggling side, six month spell before moving back to League Two with Bradford.  18 months there and you only need to look at the reaction of their fans on social media when he left to see what they thought of him.  10 goals and 6 assists from 54 games.  A goal contribution every 3.5 games. or 213 minutes if we're going on time he spent on the pitch....I'll take that from a winger.

Didn't really cut it at Lincoln, in and out the side for a whole season.  But it's a level above.

Really can't get my head round this rhetoric that he's a flash in the pan, only did it for a little bit etc.  He's more often than not, most certainly at this level, proved he's a very good player and a threat.  
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 1, 2023, 5:00pm; Reply: 19
He’s one of the classic nearly men . Could’ve had a career higher up the pyramid with a bit more luck with injuries and being in the right club at the right time. Still got time to do well for us . There’s a really good player in there .
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 1, 2023, 5:10pm; Reply: 20
Jeez! Whether or not he’s been brilliant or crap, he’s just been sidelined for half a season. Why can’t we just wish him well and hope he comes back as soon as possible and as fit as possible.
Posted by: toontown, September 1, 2023, 5:11pm; Reply: 21
Hopefully he recovers as quickly and as fully as possible, and we see him firing on all cylinders when he's back. But you have to say that for the short term it's hardly a big loss based on how he's been playing I.e. hes not being very noticeable on the pitch. Gnaouhah can come straight in and play the role of being anonymous quite easily!
Posted by: moosey_club, September 1, 2023, 5:59pm; Reply: 22
Wish him well...he has plenty of time to recover from it.

Could be a blessing in disguise however.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 1, 2023, 6:45pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from moosey_club
Wish him well...he has plenty of time to recover from it.

Could be a blessing in disguise however.

In what way? He’s our player for the next three years.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 1, 2023, 7:35pm; Reply: 24
It's a real shame, as he never really got up to speed from his previous injury before this new one, which is serious by the sound of it. I seem to recall him having a few injury niggles last time he was with us, but when he got a run in the side, he showed his potential.

For the club to chase him and give him a 3 year deal, they must be confident in his ability, and I think he will be an asset when he gets back fit and firing.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, September 1, 2023, 7:37pm; Reply: 25
Gutted for CV, a top player who hasn't had any luck at all with injuries and this sounds bad one. Wishing him a speedy (as possible) and full recovery.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, September 1, 2023, 7:44pm; Reply: 26
"Top Player" is going a bit far, he's probably only played well in about 8 games for us (when he came back from his loan at Chorley). He was rubbish before then and has been rubbish since he came back. I can't believe we gave him a 3 year deal.
Posted by: Teestogreen, September 1, 2023, 7:56pm; Reply: 27
It looks like Charles is the McAtee from last season.
Injury set back for Town both seasons.
Suppose the difference is that McAtee has made money for the club - Vernam looks to have lost some ( from where I’m sitting)..
Hope Wilson can recover from his pre - season at Grimsby Borough and Cleethorpes Town (always an injury risk) - think he may buck our season.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 1, 2023, 10:16pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from MuddyWaters

In what way? He’s our player for the next three years.

In the way that we won't feel obliged to include him just because  we have given him a 3 Yr contract.
Will happily slap my heart on my sleeve on this one....
In his previous spell I thought he was hard done by...then I thought he was overrated...then I thought he had a purple patch but helped by having some decent people around him...

He left...3 clubs since (?) ..has he seen a contract out between them ? We sign him on a 3 yr deal....I think I have seen most of his appearances so far....is it no goals...any assists ?  

Thought it was a really odd signing , not a Hurst player was my first thought.

This isn't a CV slagging as much as it may seem like one...I just don't think despite his obvious basic talent that he is either a. A Hurst player  or b. consistent enough with it

He has skills, attributes, talent but I just don't think him and Hurst are a marriage made in heaven.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 1, 2023, 10:33pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from moosey_club

In the way that we won't feel obliged to include him just because  we have given him a 3 Yr contract.
Will happily slap my heart on my sleeve on this one....
In his previous spell I thought he was hard done by...then I thought he was overrated...then I thought he had a purple patch but helped by having some decent people around him...

He left...3 clubs since (?) ..has he seen a contract out between them ? We sign him on a 3 yr deal....I think I have seen most of his appearances so far....is it no goals...any assists ?  

Thought it was a really odd signing , not a Hurst player was my first thought.

This isn't a CV slagging as much as it may seem like one...I just don't think despite his obvious basic talent that he is either a. A Hurst player  or b. consistent enough with it

He has skills, attributes, talent but I just don't think him and Hurst are a marriage made in heaven.

I agree with most of that. I find it very strange that we signed a long deal with a player who had such a recent operation.
Posted by: fishcake63, September 2, 2023, 7:23am; Reply: 30
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Jeez! Whether or not he’s been brilliant or crap, he’s just been sidelined for half a season. Why can’t we just wish him well and hope he comes back as soon as possible and as fit as possible.

This exactly & whoever red Xd get a grip for goodness sake
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 2, 2023, 10:05am; Reply: 31
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I agree with most of that. I find it very strange that we signed a long deal with a player who had such a recent operation.

Which operation are you referring to?

Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 2, 2023, 10:55am; Reply: 32
Quoted from 123614

Which operation are you referring to?

https://staceywest.net/2023/04/05/imps-duo-ruled-out-for-season/
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), September 2, 2023, 1:54pm; Reply: 33
Ahh, that one, thank you.
Print page generated: May 11, 2024, 11:52pm