Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, August 25, 2023, 12:19pm
Tweet 1695028265054785690 will appear here...

Personally think its awful, but taken into account its been designed by a young lad so its unfair of me to critique that when he's done his best.

Just hope we dont have to wear it too often!
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), August 25, 2023, 12:24pm; Reply: 1
I really like it.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 25, 2023, 12:24pm; Reply: 2
Love it, think it's great.
Posted by: bigbadmarinerbob, August 25, 2023, 12:42pm; Reply: 3
No not for me
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, August 25, 2023, 12:42pm; Reply: 4
There’s some miserable gits on Twitter really having a go about this shirt. I think it looks good, especially as it was designed by a young fan who surely we should encourage and support?
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 25, 2023, 12:48pm; Reply: 5
If I was 11, I'd design one with a wind turbine and a trawler sailing away, taking inspiration from Turner's Fighting Temeraire!

Still, this one is probably more in line with the competition brief!
Posted by: aldi_01, August 25, 2023, 12:48pm; Reply: 6
Compared to how good last years was, it’s awful but credit to the lad that’s put the effort in and designed it.

Curious as to what the others looked like…
Posted by: pizzzza, August 25, 2023, 12:53pm; Reply: 7
Looks ok to me. It's a third kit so has the licence to be experimental and different to what has come before. The inclusion of the Dock Tower is a nice touch.
Posted by: pizzzza, August 25, 2023, 12:55pm; Reply: 8
There’s some miserable gits on Twitter really having a go about this shirt.

That's Twitter for you...
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 25, 2023, 12:58pm; Reply: 9
It reminds me a little of this effort, which I'm sure was derided at the time yet probably fetches more than the vast majority of retro shirts nowadays.

https://www.footballkitarchive.com/grimsby-town-1996-97-third-kit/
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, August 25, 2023, 1:04pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from pizzzza

That's Twitter for you...

Fair point! Don’t know why I was surprised
Posted by: aldi_01, August 25, 2023, 1:05pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from diehardmariner
It reminds me a little of this effort, which I'm sure was derided at the time yet probably fetches more than the vast majority of retro shirts nowadays.

https://www.footballkitarchive.com/grimsby-town-1996-97-third-kit/

The only people that ever derided those lotto kits had to be blind, they were and remain a thing of beauty…
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 25, 2023, 1:18pm; Reply: 12
I think it’s great. Well done Archie.
Posted by: LH, August 25, 2023, 1:19pm; Reply: 13
Can the adults have a go next year? Not a slight against the kit I just want to get my crayons out.
Posted by: immariner, August 25, 2023, 1:23pm; Reply: 14
Our original kit was white with blue bands wasn't it? Probably be a bit more aesthetically pleasing if there were a few more bands/hoops but I like it. When you compare it to Lincoln's third kit monstrosity it's pretty smart and could've been much worse
Posted by: Kris2, August 25, 2023, 1:25pm; Reply: 15
It looks fine, nobody is forcing you to buy one if you don't like it. Perhaps keeping it simple and including the dock tower on the shirt was the best option, if you go too out there to get the football hipsters on board who wear some obscure Eastern European shirt because it's wacky looking you risk alienating the core fanbase who might think it looks dumb.

At least it doesn't have rainbows on it or look like a salmon fillet.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 25, 2023, 1:42pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Hagrid

Personally think its awful, but taken into account its been designed by a young lad so its unfair of me to critique that when he's done his best.

Just hope we dont have to wear it too often!

I’ll pass on the feedback when I get home from work tonight :-)
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), August 25, 2023, 1:42pm; Reply: 17
Reminds me a bit of this…

https://www.80scasualclassics.co.uk/polo-shirts-c11/benetton-rugby-shirt-white-blue-p14688
Posted by: Hagrid, August 25, 2023, 1:44pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You can do that alongside the 20 quid you still havent donated for Argentina winning the World Cup  ;)
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 25, 2023, 1:56pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Hagrid

You can do that alongside the 20 quid you still havent donated for Argentina winning the World Cup  ;)

I did. And I went above and beyond actual because I also covered the processing fee of 50p-ish which wasn’t part of the bet. And I ticked the gift aid option so they got another £5.

Not all heroes wear capes my friend.
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 25, 2023, 1:59pm; Reply: 20
Now I know it's designed by Golly Jnr, I'm genuinely disappointed it's the Dock Tower and not an Excel spreadsheet incorporated into the design.
Posted by: chaos33, August 25, 2023, 2:26pm; Reply: 21
Love it. It’s great.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 25, 2023, 2:43pm; Reply: 22
Have to say I'm a fan of it and one of the best we have had for a while and far better than that horrible pink shirt.
Posted by: somersetmariner, August 25, 2023, 3:02pm; Reply: 23
A touch disappointed this year with all the kits.
but hey ho, none of them are terrible.

I just hope we get stuck in whichever colours we’re wearing.

I’m only posting because i’ve nothing else to do this evening.

Posted by: chaos33, August 25, 2023, 3:31pm; Reply: 24
I think all 3 kits are cracking. Only slight criticism is how difficult to read the names are on the home shirt.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 25, 2023, 3:42pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from chaos33
I think all 3 kits are cracking. Only slight criticism is how difficult to read the names are on the home shirt.

we've only got our selves to blame for that, folk wanting stripes and red letters/numbers on the back, i sit round a few old'uns at the game and they cant tell whos who at all
Posted by: benny_the_docker, August 25, 2023, 3:46pm; Reply: 26
Brilliant effort! Well done to all involved! Take my money! Utm
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 25, 2023, 4:11pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Hagrid

we've only got our selves to blame for that, folk wanting stripes and red letters/numbers on the back, i sit round a few old'uns at the game and they cant tell whos who at all

Some clubs are starting to sell a striped back version and a solid back version for those that want numbers.

At least we haven't gone for black numbers like Darlington!

Tweet 1694983684489716024 will appear here...
Posted by: buckstown, August 25, 2023, 5:36pm; Reply: 28
Really like it, especially the idea of incorporating the dock tower. It looks bright and fresh as well
Posted by: Mappers, August 25, 2023, 5:39pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from GollyGTFC

It's great that the club are letting youngsters design the kit , I think it's great tbf - but whatever your view on the actual kit, surely everyone must agree that fan engagement and youngster involvement is far improved and that has to be good for both now and the future .
Posted by: buckstown, August 25, 2023, 5:45pm; Reply: 30
Forgot to mention, the fact that proceeds are going to a local charity is fantastic
Posted by: lukeo, August 25, 2023, 5:50pm; Reply: 31
It may take a while to warm to as it is very different. I loved last year's and bought it. This one I'm unsure if I will buy it... But I probably  ;D
Well done alfie on winning.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 25, 2023, 6:10pm; Reply: 32
Is it my failing eyesight or .....is there no Dock Tower in sight??
Posted by: Azimuth, August 25, 2023, 6:19pm; Reply: 33
It is a very very nice smart kit, a big well done to the young designer who deserves a lot of credit for his achievment and should ignor the critics who I suspect can only dream they had his talents!
Posted by: It Bites, August 25, 2023, 6:27pm; Reply: 34
Absolutely pathetic that a grown adult would take to social media to slag off a kit designed by a child . This world never ceases to amaze me but this is low , very low !!!
Posted by: ginnywings, August 25, 2023, 6:37pm; Reply: 35
I'm not fussed about footy shirts and never wear them, but I'd make an exception for that one, especially given that it's for charity.

I think it's very smart.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, August 25, 2023, 6:47pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from moosey_club
Is it my failing eyesight or .....is there no Dock Tower in sight??

From the GTFC website

“I think the colour is very nice and I don’t think we’ve ever had the Dock Tower on a shirt before. We had planned to make the Dock Tower pattern more predominant, but we had to follow the guidelines stipulated by the EFL.”

Please note that the sublimated Dock Tower pattern is very faint and that’s why it isn’t visible on the promotional photographs.

Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 25, 2023, 7:21pm; Reply: 37
I would post the original final design he did on GranthamMariner’s PC, but as the shorts and socks colour hasn’t been disclosed by the club yet I might be breaking an unofficial NDA.

I’ll give you a clue. They’re either both blue, both grey or one of each colour.

On Archie’s design the dock tower pattern was much more prominent like the netting pattern on the red away shirt, but it had to be toned down to pass FA regulations.

Close up the shirt is more or less the same tone of grey as the Jarvis away shirt from the disastrous 2003/04 season which always looked more off white in photos and on tv than it really was.

Archie read through some of the social media relies to the launch and was happy with the many positive replies and didn’t take it personal from the grown men who don’t like it and voiced that opinion. He’s old enough to know some people (always men) take pleasure in being unkind.

In fact he pointed out to me that the competition brief was that the kit couldn’t include any black, white or red so the comments saying it’s not Town colours are ridiculous.
Posted by: easypeersy, August 25, 2023, 7:34pm; Reply: 38
Absolutely LOVE this shirt!
So much better than the pink one from last season.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 25, 2023, 7:37pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I would post the original final design he did on GranthamMariner’s PC, but as the shorts and socks colour hasn’t been disclosed by the club yet I might be breaking an unofficial NDA.

I’ll give you a clue. They’re either both blue, both grey or one of each colour.

On Archie’s design the dock tower pattern was much more prominent like the netting pattern on the red away shirt, but it had to be toned down to pass FA regulations.

Close up the shirt is more or less the same tone of grey as the Jarvis away shirt from the disastrous 2003/04 season which always looked more off white in photos and on tv than it really was.

Archie read through some of the social media relies to the launch and was happy with the many positive replies and didn’t take it personal from the grown men who don’t like it and voiced that opinion. He’s old enough to know some people (always men) take pleasure in being unkind.

In fact he pointed out to me that the competition brief was that the kit couldn’t include any black, white or red so the comments saying it’s not Town colours are ridiculous.

I wonder if our red away kit was already decided last summer then. I wondered if we chose the third kit before the away kit otherwise kids designing red kits would have been instantly disqualified.

It's a shame Dock Tower can't be prominently displayed, the Dortmund home kit was designed by a fan and features their stadium which I think looks really smart.

I would be interested to see how the design differs from end product after all of the bureaucratic hoops have been jumped through.
Posted by: lee65, August 25, 2023, 7:38pm; Reply: 40
I think this shirt has a fresh, modern look, well done Archie  :)
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 25, 2023, 7:50pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I wonder if our red away kit was already decided last summer then. I wondered if we chose the third kit before the away kit otherwise kids designing red kits would have been instantly disqualified.

It's a shame Dock Tower can't be prominently displayed, the Dortmund home kit was designed by a fan and features their stadium which I think looks really smart.

I would be interested to see how the design differs from end product after all of the bureaucratic hoops have been jumped through.

The competition instructions pretty much gave it away that this season’s away kit was going to be red.

I will post the final design Archie entered once the club have launched the shorts and socks.

Other than toning down the dock tower pattern it’s pretty much identical to Archie’s design.
Posted by: Captaincod, August 25, 2023, 8:10pm; Reply: 42
I really like it. A fairly simple design but quite striking, original and modern looking. For me it’s better than last years pink strip and this years red strip. Well done Archie.
Posted by: denni266, August 25, 2023, 8:39pm; Reply: 43
Quite like it
Posted by: Croxton, August 25, 2023, 8:41pm; Reply: 44

Well done Archie and a good interview debut.

Also a clever nod to our cousins at Grimsby Harriers!

Tweet 1041334583642533888 will appear here...
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 25, 2023, 8:44pm; Reply: 45
I really like it. Well done to the designer.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, August 25, 2023, 9:27pm; Reply: 46
I owned a Henry Lloyd jumper that looked similar to that in the late 90s.

For that reason alone, I’m all in.

Henri Beene. The smell of Rockport leather. Scrunched up Burberry jumpers for goalposts. Aaahh…ostalgie.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, August 25, 2023, 9:35pm; Reply: 47
I owned a Henry Lloyd jumper that looked similar to that in the late 90s.

For that reason alone, I’m all in.

Henri Beene. The smell of Rockport leather. Scrunched up Burberry jumpers for goalposts. Aaahh…ostalgie.

I commented before I’d realised Golly Jnr had designed it.

I’m even more in now.

One of our own. An Excel bod. SUM(B4:OFFSET(B4,0,E2-1))
Posted by: moosey_club, August 25, 2023, 10:03pm; Reply: 48

From the GTFC website

“I think the colour is very nice and I don’t think we’ve ever had the Dock Tower on a shirt before. We had planned to make the Dock Tower pattern more predominant, but we had to follow the guidelines stipulated by the EFL.”

Please note that the sublimated Dock Tower pattern is very faint and that’s why it isn’t visible on the promotional photographs.

Oh thank fck for that.....I only saw pics of it not any wording.....I have been tilting it, squinting, polarised glasses on.....thought it was like an old magic eye picture cos at one point I am sure I saw a dolphin or a t rex ....
Posted by: heppy88, August 25, 2023, 10:04pm; Reply: 49
Love the shirt and have pre ordered it. This will be my first third strip. Love the fact it was designed by a junior mariner and that all proceeds go to a great local charity. So, thanks to The Trust, Archie and the club!
Posted by: Captaincod, August 25, 2023, 10:58pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The competition instructions pretty much gave it away that this season’s away kit was going to be red.

I will post the final design Archie entered once the club have launched the shorts and socks.

Other than toning down the dock tower pattern it’s pretty much identical to Archie’s design.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the strip Golly. Personally I’d like the shorts to be blue and the socks grey/blue hoops.
I think it’s a great idea for the club to let the 3rd strip be designed by junior fans.
Why not go the whole hog and let all of the strips be designed by the fans ?
Poojah came up with a good design for the home kit in a previous thread .  Why not invite all the fans to submit entries for the first 2 strips and have a vote on the final few chosen by the club , maybe offering a season ticket to the winner.
I’m sure our more creative fans could produce better designs than some of the professionals and it would stop some of the moaning old gits on here complaining if it was designed and chosen by our own fans!

Posted by: Spidey, August 25, 2023, 11:19pm; Reply: 51
Really like it, well done Archie!
Posted by: nickmariners, August 26, 2023, 12:20am; Reply: 52
Quoted from Hagrid

Personally think its awful, but taken into account its been designed by a young lad so its unfair of me to critique that when he's done his best!

Absolutely brilliant: "it's unfair of me to critique..." -- then he goes ahead and does >>precisely<< that anyway.

Posted by: mimma, August 26, 2023, 12:45am; Reply: 53
Could I just ask, is the third kit for when we play away, and the home team play in red, we then have to play in our 3rd strip to avoid a colour clash with our away kit?

if this is the case, then why can't we play in our "normal" kit?

Call me old fashioned, but to me we should always play in black and white stripes and only change when there is a colour clash with it.

I'm a traditionist, always black and white stripes!
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 26, 2023, 6:56am; Reply: 54
For what it’s worth, I like the design, so well done to the young fan. I think it’s really smart.

My one gripe would be the general understanding of what a 3rd kit is for. I think black and white should be the default kit away from home unless the home team a) wears stripes, b) has a predominantly black shirt, or c) has a predominantly white shirt. So basically the only time a 3rd kit is necessary is when the home team has any of those features and one of the colours is red, ruling out the 2nd kit.  But hear lies the problem - the 3rd kit is nearly all white (as in ‘c’ above), so how does that work?!

I think what I’m saying is, because we play in stripes, our away kits should really be a single solid colour. If an away team came to BP wearing a shirt similar to our new 3rd kit, wouldn’t they have to change it because it’s white?

It’s a minefield! And clearly the decision isn’t always about colour - why on earth did england’s women’s team have to wear blue against Spain recently? That was totally unnecessary.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 26, 2023, 7:09am; Reply: 55
Quoted from nickmariners

Absolutely brilliant: "it's unfair of me to critique..." -- then he goes ahead and does >>precisely<< that anyway.

Its an opinion.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 26, 2023, 7:27am; Reply: 56
Pinched this off Facebook. Somebody managed to take a photo that shows off the Dock Tower pattern.
Posted by: nickmariners, August 26, 2023, 8:03am; Reply: 57
Quoted from Hagrid

Its an opinion.

Whoooossshhhh!
Posted by: Yarborough Vaults, August 26, 2023, 12:21pm; Reply: 58
I'd be interested to see what the kid's original design looked like. Getting the dock tower in there is a really good idea but sounds like it was watered down by the efl to the point of being meaningless.
Posted by: toontown, August 26, 2023, 12:55pm; Reply: 59
I like it, impressed with it considering its been designed by a youngster
Posted by: gytone, August 26, 2023, 1:39pm; Reply: 60
It's brilliant, loads better than the pink one, IMHO.
Posted by: Azimuth, August 27, 2023, 2:03pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Hagrid

Its an opinion.

Of Course you are entitled to your opinion and fair play for expressing it which you are perfectly entitled to do while we still have some freedom of speech left in this country.

Sometimes, just sometimes, it is nice to keep certain opinions to ourselves, or chose our words more carefully.
Posted by: White_shorts, August 31, 2023, 5:13pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Heisenberg
My one gripe would be the general understanding of what a 3rd kit is for. I think black and white should be the default kit away from home unless the home team a) wears stripes, b) has a predominantly black shirt, or c) has a predominantly white shirt. So basically the only time a 3rd kit is necessary is when the home team has any of those features and one of the colours is red, ruling out the 2nd kit.  But hear lies the problem - the 3rd kit is nearly all white (as in ‘c’ above), so how does that work?!

We wouldn't need a third strip if the second strip was a standard all-yellow.

It seems to be the norm now that teams wear second strips away from home.  You could argue that is to put players in a different frame of mind in the changing room before kick-off, to prepare for a mostly hostile crowd.  Let's be honest, though: it's for money-making marketing purposes.

It can't be environmentally-friendly to produce three new kits each season.

Posted by: The Caterham Mariner, September 3, 2023, 1:33pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from It Bites
Absolutely pathetic that a grown adult would take to social media to slag off a kit designed by a child . This world never ceases to amaze me but this is low , very low !!!
Indeed

Posted by: The Caterham Mariner, September 3, 2023, 1:42pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from heppy88
Love the shirt and have pre ordered it. This will be my first third strip. Love the fact it was designed by a junior mariner and that all proceeds go to a great local charity. So, thanks to The Trust, Archie and the club!

Exactly well said like you have ordered too.
UTM 2023--24
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, September 3, 2023, 3:47pm; Reply: 65
It’s very Tranmere
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 1:14am