Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: HerveJosse, August 22, 2023, 10:10am
Shutes has put in a planning application to build a large hotel next to the Ice House. So he’s still around
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 22, 2023, 10:15am; Reply: 1
http://planninganddevelopment.nelincs.gov.uk/online-applications/files/48858B39BCEAD21EB2614781859EFDFE/pdf/DM_0769_23_FUL-DESIGN_AND_ACCESS_STATEMENT-1666154.pdf
Posted by: wuffing, August 22, 2023, 10:34am; Reply: 2
Quoted from HerveJosse
Shutes has put in a planning application to build a large hotel next to the Ice House. So he’s still around

Does it come with a nice new stadium!? 🤔
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, August 22, 2023, 11:16am; Reply: 3
There’s loads of stuff bubbling under and if it comes to fruition it will be excellent news for the town. Fingers crossed. With the people involved, there is a better than normal chance to this actually happening too.
Posted by: ska face, August 22, 2023, 11:47am; Reply: 4

Looks good, be interesting to see what else is going on up there.
Posted by: pizzzza, August 22, 2023, 11:54am; Reply: 5
Looks great and I hope it comes to fruition but how many times have we seen plans for various projects emblazoned across the front page of the GT only to see nothing come of them?
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 22, 2023, 11:56am; Reply: 6
This Town needs massive investment. Freshness Place was fantastic when it opened but in real terms the towns been largely left to rot.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 22, 2023, 11:56am; Reply: 7
Quoted from 1mickylyons
This Town needs massive investment. Freshney Place was fantastic when it opened but in real terms the towns been largely left to rot.

Posted by: ska face, August 22, 2023, 12:09pm; Reply: 8
Same architects who drew up those concept images for a ground on the docks three (!) years ago -

Tweet 1258356809145999361 will appear here...
Posted by: Azimuth, August 22, 2023, 12:16pm; Reply: 9
Lets hope this isnt yet another pipe dream and the planners actually show some encouragment and give the green light.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 22, 2023, 12:44pm; Reply: 10
Thought that this was a thread about beer!
Posted by: Gilbertswand, August 22, 2023, 1:09pm; Reply: 11
Wish they would knock it on the head calling it the Kasbah conservation area though....
It has never at any point been called the Kasbah..
Posted by: Cricklewoodmariner, August 22, 2023, 2:38pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Gilbertswand
Wish they would knock it on the head calling it the Kasbah conservation area though....

I've also heard Sharif don't like it
Posted by: bedders78, August 22, 2023, 3:01pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from ska face
Same architects who drew up those concept images for a ground on the docks three (!) years ago -

Tweet 1258356809145999361 will appear here...

Artist's impressions are the only rival to the wind turbine industry in NE Lincs
Posted by: Saudimariner, August 22, 2023, 3:07pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Cricklewoodmariner

I've also heard Sharif don't like it

I heard that Bob Marley shot the Sharif
Posted by: coddy60, August 22, 2023, 3:08pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Gilbertswand

It certainly was early 90s when I was down there...
Posted by: Gilbertswand, August 22, 2023, 3:16pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from coddy60

It certainly was early 90s when I was down there...

It certainly wasnt in the early 90's when i was down there... :-) (however im not saying you are wrong)

Im on the Grimsby fishing history pages and the whole Kasbah discussion has regular arguments.

I would say about 99% of people on those pages have'nt heard of it either....its bizarre...
Posted by: coddy60, August 22, 2023, 3:25pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Gilbertswand

It certainly wasnt in the early 90's when i was down there... :-) (however im not saying you are wrong)

Im on the Grimsby fishing history pages and the whole Kasbah discussion has regular arguments.

I would say about 99% of people on those pages have'nt heard of it either....its bizarre...

I worked as Tommy Darwoods coldstore man/delivery driver and regularly took stuff to the Kasbah 🤷
Posted by: LH, August 22, 2023, 3:38pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Gilbertswand

Bazaar if anything surely?
Posted by: Gilbertswand, August 22, 2023, 3:41pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from coddy60

I worked as Tommy Darwoods coldstore man/delivery driver and regularly took stuff to the Kasbah 🤷

Its weird.....i worked at Kay and son and Mclure street,..which we used to call 'the lane'....but thats bout it...
Posted by: rancido, August 22, 2023, 6:11pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from pizzzza
Looks great and I hope it comes to fruition but how many times have we seen plans for various projects emblazoned across the front page of the GT only to see nothing come of them?

Sadly too many "nimbys" , short sighted people and others who don't want any kind of change, stifle most visionary concepts for the town.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 22, 2023, 6:19pm; Reply: 21
I thought the docks would have been ideal to have our new stadium built.

I am happy if the park is upgraded and can hold 12.000 ish.

Whatever happens I will not see it as I have watched my last live game live because of health problems.

Glad to see the Bradford game on Sky at least I can watch that and hopefully a few more in the coming seasons.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, August 22, 2023, 6:31pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from grimsby pete

Whatever happens I will not see it as I have watched my last live game live because of health problems.

Glad to see the Bradford game on Sky at least I can watch that and hopefully a few more in the coming seasons.

Keep posting Pete sorry your not well
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 22, 2023, 7:23pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Keep posting Pete sorry your not well

Cheers crusty.
Posted by: grimps, August 22, 2023, 8:11pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Gilbertswand

I was working down there 92-96 and never heard it called that.
People was still calling the Jubilee Cafe Cannings too so it’s not like they ever forgot old Dock names
Posted by: coddy60, August 22, 2023, 8:56pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Gilbertswand

Its weird.....i worked at Kay and son and Mclure street,..which we used to call 'the lane'....but thats bout it...

Well you've got me doubting myself now 🤣
Posted by: HerveJosse, August 22, 2023, 9:02pm; Reply: 26
My 94 year old mother worked on the docks in the 1940’s and 50’s for H Mudd & Son so I asked her about the Kasbah. Never heard of it. It does seem to be a modern concoction.
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 22, 2023, 9:06pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from grimsby pete

I’m very sorry to hear that, Pete. I hope you enjoy the tv games.
Posted by: cardiffmariner, August 22, 2023, 9:13pm; Reply: 28
So this thread has just prompted me to phone my dad and interrupt his evening telly!

He worked on the docks from when he was 15 to 75. He’s now 87, with a dodgy memory, but says it was never called the kasbah in all his years down there as far as he can remember.

Good enough for me!

Oh, and I spent a good few years working intermittently down there between 90-98 and don’t remember it either.

Hope this a positive move for the town. As has already been said, the town needs (and deserves) better in term of investment and development.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 22, 2023, 11:13pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Heisenberg

I’m very sorry to hear that, Pete. I hope you enjoy the tv games.

Thanks mate.
Posted by: Norseman, August 23, 2023, 12:00am; Reply: 30
I was a fisherman as we're many of my family and none of us had heard the term Kasbah until recently
Posted by: wuffing, August 23, 2023, 12:13am; Reply: 31
Worked on the docks for best part of 30 years and it's a new one on me.
Posted by: gtfc98, August 23, 2023, 12:34am; Reply: 32
Quoted from grimsby pete

You seem pretty tech savvy Pete. If you need any help setting up a VPN so you can watch the games "from abroad" on Mariners TV I'd be happy to try and help you.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 23, 2023, 6:44am; Reply: 33
The whole Kasbah thing seems to be a modern thing, not even sure why. What’s interesting is the sheer number of local people that have worked down there who’ve never heard of it. My old man worked down there for years and never called it that or heard it called that. Who came up with it? What was their explanation.

As for development, I’m with Rancido, so many good plans and ideas locally but local folk just seem to poo poo everything through fear of change, then spend months/years moaning nothing ever happens or gets changed in town.
Posted by: lukeo, August 23, 2023, 7:48am; Reply: 34
Quoted from grimsby pete

I'm sorry to hear this Pete, it's a shame people like yourself can't watch town games online because you're in the UK.
I'll PM you Pete
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 23, 2023, 8:15am; Reply: 35

I was a fish lumper in the 90's working down there and I'd heard of the Kasbah.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/kasbah-labyrinth-dock-buildings-name-1608638
Posted by: Gilbertswand, August 23, 2023, 10:00am; Reply: 36
Quoted from promotion plaice

I was a fish lumper in the 90's working down there and I'd heard of the Kasbah.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/kasbah-labyrinth-dock-buildings-name-1608638

I get that it was a like a Kasbah but it was never called that. You had the square and Mclure street used to be called the lane.

I suppose calling it the Kasbah sounds a bit sexier when they are trying to get investment for development.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 23, 2023, 10:38am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Gilbertswand

I get that it was a like a Kasbah but it was never called that. You had the square and Mclure street used to be called the lane.

I suppose calling it the Kasbah sounds a bit sexier when they are trying to get investment for development.

He says he's known it as the Kasbah since the 70s but admits others know it as the square
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 23, 2023, 11:53am; Reply: 38
I heard that they only ever sold cheap fish there,

It was Rock in the Kasbah, :)
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 23, 2023, 2:06pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from gtfc98

You seem pretty tech savvy Pete. If you need any help setting up a VPN so you can watch the games "from abroad" on Mariners TV I'd be happy to try and help you.

Thanks mate but I am ok .i have had a few offers of help all town aren't we  8)
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 12:37am