Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: Ashby mariner, August 19, 2023, 7:31pm
Love them or hate them. There games are certainly entertaining 24 goals in 3 home games that's more than some teams see in 3 months. Let's hope it's another classic when we go there next month and we can come away on the right side of the result.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 19, 2023, 7:34pm; Reply: 1
I thought it looked a tough game for them at home to Swindon, and wasn't surprised to see them getting dicked at half time, but fair play to come back and score 2 goals in added on time for a draw.

Of course, we are no strangers to scoring 5 at their place.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 19, 2023, 8:56pm; Reply: 2
They quite like conceding 5 at home, don't they!
Posted by: Spurn boy, August 19, 2023, 9:01pm; Reply: 3
Watched the game this afternoon as unable to watch the Town game, not looking forward to playing either of these teams, we had a bad experience last season at Swindon and not looking forward to playing Wrexham either, Toner still causing problems using the long throws. Today’s game was all out attacking from both teams and the goals Wrexham scored were very similar to the goals they scored against us in the playoffs. Hopefully PH will watch this game and learn from it. UTM
Posted by: fishcake63, August 19, 2023, 9:15pm; Reply: 4
But if town conceded 5 at home believe me it would be meltdown on here , bad enough today conceding 1
Posted by: moosey_club, August 19, 2023, 9:34pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from fishcake63
But if town conceded 5 at home believe me it would be meltdown on here , bad enough today conceding 1

Rightly so....with a defensive manager the world would end by conceding 5.......put someone like Holloway in the frame and a 5-5 draw sounds like a cracking game to be at...

1-1 v Mansfield with 2 (?) decent attempts on goal = 1 point
5 - 5 v Wrexham = 1 point...which game would you rather watch as a spectacle ?:
Posted by: fishcake63, August 20, 2023, 6:24am; Reply: 6
Put someone like hellaway in charge & end up getting tonked every week , no thanks be careful what you wish for
Posted by: Kris2, August 20, 2023, 9:40am; Reply: 7
Wrexham have conceded 13 in in 4 league games and scored 13, we are sitting at scored 5 and conceded 4 in 4 league games if anybody needs a dose of reality. People would be going mental if we let in that many in the first 4 games of the season. You say you want their start but if it was GTFC you'd be moaning about it.  
Posted by: Humbercod, August 20, 2023, 10:03am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Kris2
Wrexham have conceded 13 in in 4 league games and scored 13, we are sitting at scored 5 and conceded 4 in 4 league games if anybody needs a dose of reality. People would be going mental if we let in that many in the first 4 games of the season. You say you want their start but if it was GTFC you'd be moaning about it.  

Thing is Wrexham are scoring regularly once they have tweaked the defence they are going to be top 3 all day long. As for us our striking options will remain limited unless we change formation and find another Liam Hearn or Omar bogle.
Posted by: DB, August 20, 2023, 10:04am; Reply: 9
Wrexham spent a lot of money which only got them out of the NL at the 2nd, attempt after the investment from the Yanks. It was mooted that the squad was easily as strong as any L2 squad and probably lower L1 standard, so hardly brought in anybody.

13 goals conceded is not a good standard. Their goalie may be ex-England but at this level is he any good, and that goes for the rest of their defence. I'm not saying they as useless with 13 goals scored but they have suddenly found out they are not going to walk L2. Any thoughts of promotion again by them will have to be done the hard way on the pitch, and not by thought of their name and status.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 20, 2023, 10:29am; Reply: 10
The other thing is once they bin Parkinson off and recruit a decent manager that squad should be unstoppable.
Posted by: Yossarian, August 20, 2023, 1:46pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from moosey_club
The other thing is once they bin Parkinson off and recruit a decent manager that squad should be unstoppable.

He does look like a total nob.  Need to be much more nuanced and complex manager these days rather than the rather retro-70s style that he seems to be.

Posted by: Gaffer58, August 20, 2023, 4:54pm; Reply: 12
And they are still all over the papers,BBC and Sky, you’d think the American owners were actually playing!
Posted by: Spurn boy, August 20, 2023, 5:33pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from moosey_club

I believe that they will bin Parkinson eventually and can afford to attract a much better manager.
Posted by: barralad, August 20, 2023, 6:09pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Humbercod

Thing is Wrexham are scoring regularly once they have tweaked the defence they are going to be top 3 all day long. As for us our striking options will remain limited unless we change formation and find another Liam Hearn or Omar bogle.

It's taking them a long time to "tweak the defence". Those frailties were evident in the 2021/22 campaign and not just against us. Last year they got through by having the capability to "score one more than you". There are some more savvy defences and better attackers in League 2.
Posted by: chaos33, August 20, 2023, 6:14pm; Reply: 15
Humbercod doesn’t understand football though. In fact, he doesn’t understand anything.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 20, 2023, 6:22pm; Reply: 16
Yes, they still have defensive weaknesses.  I blame Dover (who finished bottom) and us for both scoring 5 goals there.  We set a trend. 😁
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, August 21, 2023, 11:24am; Reply: 17
Quoted from DB

13 goals conceded is not a good standard. Their goalie may be ex-England but at this level is he any good, and that goes for the rest of their defence. I'm not saying they as useless with 13 goals scored but they have suddenly found out they are not going to walk L2. Any thoughts of promotion again by them will have to be done the hard way on the pitch, and not by thought of their name and status.

A bit harsh on the keeper. You can be Banks, Yashin, Batch and Zoff all rolled into one but if the defence in front of you are a bunch of sh*tgibbons you're going to be busy and just not be able to stop everything!
Posted by: Mappers, August 21, 2023, 11:39am; Reply: 18
Ben Foster retired - his race was run .

A shame , because a 41 year old was going to be fodder for us in a few weeks .
Posted by: Humbercod, August 21, 2023, 12:13pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from chaos33
Humbercod doesn’t understand football though. In fact, he doesn’t understand anything.

Il bet you £100 they finish top 3
Posted by: bawarmy, August 21, 2023, 1:09pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Mappers

It’ll be because of his bad back from picking the ball out the net too much.
Posted by: RichMariner, August 21, 2023, 5:13pm; Reply: 21
Five teams have gone to Wrexham and scored five goals since the start of 2021/22 — Dover, Grimsby, Barnet, Mk Dons, Swindon.

I can only think of three occasions in our recent (poor) history when we've conceded 5 at BP:

Donny in 2017
Burnley in 2002
Charlton in 1999

Have I missed any out? And how far back do we need to go to find the next two occasions?

Also, dare I say it, but if they bin Parky they'll likely go for someone like Steve Evans on the advice of Shaun Harvey!!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 21, 2023, 5:59pm; Reply: 22
In our old (poor) history we concede 5 at home to Bradford in the late 1960s.  We have also been well beaten at home in the last 30 years by Blackburn, Peterborough, Donney and Sheff United.  Maybe others?
Posted by: HerveJosse, August 21, 2023, 7:12pm; Reply: 23
I remember David Cross scoring four when West Ham tonked us 5-1. The best individual performance I have seen by a striker at BP
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, August 21, 2023, 7:36pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from HerveJosse
I remember David Cross scoring four when West Ham tonked us 5-1. The best individual performance I have seen by a striker at BP

This just proves the rule that you can take any post on The Fishy and get back to Andrew Dallas in six steps or under:

David Cross
Kate Cross (daughter of David)
Alex Hartley (podcast partner of Kate)
JR Hartley
JR Ewing
Dallas

Try it. It’s good clean, family fun (as long as one of the steps doesn’t involve Debbie (not our Debbie) doing stuff in Texas).
Posted by: HerveJosse, August 21, 2023, 7:44pm; Reply: 25

This just proves the rule that you can take any post on The Fishy and get back to Stuart Dallas in six steps or under:

David Cross
Kate Cross (daughter of David)
Alex Hartley (podcast partner of Kate)
JR Hartley
JR Ewing
Dallas

Try it. It’s good clean, family fun (as long as one of the steps doesn’t involve Debbie (not our Debbie) doing stuff in Texas).

The other memorable feature of that game for me was Bobby Cumming being kicked off the pitch by someone harder then him for the only time in his career the full back Ray Stewart.

So we could go
Ray Stewart
Ray Kennedy
John F Kennedy
Dallas
4 steps
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 22, 2023, 7:06am; Reply: 26

A bit harsh on the keeper. You can be Banks, Yashin, Batch and Zoff all rolled into one but if the defence in front of you are a bunch of sh*tgibbons you're going to be busy and just not be able to stop everything!

The four true goalkeeping legends right there, eh?! Nice work.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 22, 2023, 7:10am; Reply: 27
Quoted from RichMariner
Five teams have gone to Wrexham and scored five goals since the start of 2021/22 — Dover, Grimsby, Barnet, Mk Dons, Swindon.

I can only think of three occasions in our recent (poor) history when we've conceded 5 at BP:

Donny in 2017
Burnley in 2002
Charlton in 1999

Have I missed any out? And how far back do we need to go to find the next two occasions?

Also, dare I say it, but if they bin Parky they'll likely go for someone like Steve Evans on the advice of Shaun Harvey!!

They will bin Parkinson off. He’s a dinosaur and anyone but a Wrexham could see that he’d be useless in the football league again and in truth, regardless of town doing them in their backyard, his tactics and draconian style cost them promotion. That squad, with the right manager should’ve drunk that league and neither season they didn’t.

Evans would go there in a heartbeat, attention and money, although I’m not sure there’d be enough fanfare for them. Their next manager will likely be some ex pro with a reputation, someone like Lampard or Rooney. Better for the documentary than an eyeliner wearing cheating, criminal girl private.

Everything about them is circus and fanfare, that’s the sad thing because actually, they’re a decent club but it’s tiring and boring…
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 22, 2023, 7:46am; Reply: 28
When they bin off Parkinson they won’t go for a Steve Evans type. They’ll go for a novice head coach (in Europe at least) who’s a former Premier League player.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 22, 2023, 7:48am; Reply: 29
I bet they go down the Welsh Legend  route Ryan Giggs or Chris Coleman
Posted by: HerveJosse, August 22, 2023, 8:01am; Reply: 30
Quoted from aldi_01

They will bin Parkinson off. He’s a dinosaur and anyone but a Wrexham could see that he’d be useless in the football league again and in truth, regardless of town doing them in their backyard, his tactics and draconian style cost them promotion. That squad, with the right manager should’ve drunk that league and neither season they didn’t.

Evans would go there in a heartbeat, attention and money, although I’m not sure there’d be enough fanfare for them. Their next manager will likely be some ex pro with a reputation, someone like Lampard or Rooney. Better for the documentary than an eyeliner wearing cheating, criminal girl private.

Everything about them is circus and fanfare, that’s the sad thing because actually, they’re a decent club but it’s tiring and boring…

Aren’t 5-5 draws better material for docu-dramas then 1-0 wins . In Hollywood it’s called the entertainment industry.
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 22, 2023, 9:34am; Reply: 31
I can definitely see them going for Evans actually.  

I've only watched the first five or six of the documentary (not got to the best bit yet!) but I don't seem to think the intent is about making a superstar out of of anyone.  Phil Parkinson is hardly box-office is he? Shaun Harvey rocking up as the next Marvel superhero?  

Evans would do brilliant there too.  Give him a bit of money (he's always smart in that he goes where he gets a decent budget) and more often than not he'll get you success.  

The global audience that they're marketing to probably aren't aware of the Ryan Giggs' of the world anyway.  That said, probably be Bob Bradley or Bruce Arena.
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 22, 2023, 9:37am; Reply: 32
They’ll appoint someone like Warnock.

Ever the narcissist, he’d love the exposure that being Wrexham manager in this day and age would bring. Even at 75, he’d jump at the opportunity when he inevitably gets sacked by Huddersfield this season when they’re 18th and rubbish.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 22, 2023, 11:55am; Reply: 33
Sadly, I was at all these big home defeats from Bradford in the 1960, to recent ones.  Except for the Charlton game
Posted by: Kris2, August 22, 2023, 12:44pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I'd pay money to watch the car crash of them putting Ryan Giggs in charge.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 22, 2023, 12:55pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Coleman's already been in one Netflix football documentary series too, so has all the experience they need!
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 22, 2023, 1:17pm; Reply: 36
He came across so well too...

Tweet 1245235938298642432 will appear here...

Tweet 1092200359618064384 will appear here...
Posted by: TonySmith, August 22, 2023, 2:38pm; Reply: 37
It will be interesting to see if their defense suddenly tightens up or not. Let's hope Foster was not the only issue for them because if they keep scoring like they are and suddenly stop shipping multiple goals they will be formidable opponents.
Posted by: mike502, August 22, 2023, 2:58pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from RichMariner

Donny in 2017
Burnley in 2002
Charlton in 1999

Anorak that I am...

No, I don't think you've missed any out. And unless I've missed something, the previous two occasions were
11/4/81 Grimsby 1-5 West Ham
13/3/71 Grimsby 1-5 Brentford

Posted by: toontown, August 22, 2023, 3:00pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Mappers

Yeah gutted about foster retiring before we had the chance to play them, he was looking well dodgy, not even training full time apparently. The fact the owners put so much effort into signing him and made such a big deal of him made it very awkward for parkinson to drop him too, despite the performances.

Be just our luck for mullins come back game to be our match too, or is he definitely out for longer than that?
Posted by: forza ivano, August 22, 2023, 3:12pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from RichMariner

Donny in 2017
Burnley in 2002
Charlton in 1999

Trouble is, that obnoxious c*nt would get them.promted straight off! Mate of mine played for him n the stories of him n rayner are unreal. A more obnoxious individual would be difficult to meet. Rayner  
Posted by: Mappers, August 22, 2023, 3:25pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Humbercod

Il bet you £100 they finish top 3

I don't see it , top 7 maybe but I doubt top 3 - league 2 is such a weird league historically - Salford must have what ? Double our budget and we beat them convincingly - so many similiar results ; I'm certain there will be at least 1 suprise automatic promotion (hopefully us ) - Wimbledon I think will do well actually  after that 1st game , Swindon are much better than I expected and then there's Barrow who with Wild might contend . And lot's more besides .

Mansfield look class but they seem to need a hell of a lot of chances to score . Donny sound in a mess already and they want the older lad at the back from Rotherham to retire after 3 games he's been awful apparently . Bradford in meltdown again . Stockport starting slowly again .

Gillingham are grinding results out , that will be an interesting game in a couple of weeks as Harris is the closest manager in the league to Hurst in terms of style and pragmatic approach ; it might be another one that gets our regulars foaming at the mouth if we cancel each other out . Hopefully we take that game to them a bit.

Walsall I fancied to do well at the start of the season , so another tough test Saturday ,I would take another draw as that would maintain our reasonable start ; but hopefully nick a win and that would turn it into a really good start IMO .

Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 8:18am