Posted by: It Bites, August 19, 2023, 7:19pm; Reply: 1
Definitely a point gained
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 19, 2023, 7:20pm; Reply: 2
2 dropped from a winning postion
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 19, 2023, 7:21pm; Reply: 3
2 dropped from a winning postion

I doubt a better team will come to BP all season
Posted by: ancientmariner54, August 19, 2023, 7:26pm; Reply: 4
They were a very good team but their strikers couldn't hit a cow's bottom with a banjo . Poor goalkeeping decision cost us two points.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 19, 2023, 7:38pm; Reply: 5
Not sure they will be top three myself.

They were the leagues top scorers last season, but like today and at Donny the other night, they didn't win the games they should have.

Doubt we'll see a better footballing team at BP this season, but we may see a more efficient team or two.
Posted by: chaos33, August 19, 2023, 7:41pm; Reply: 6
Reality check…..
Could’ve been 3 points, could’ve been a loss and 0, but, on balance and all things considered, a point gained against a very good, established team. Four points in a week and on we go….
Posted by: HerveJosse, August 19, 2023, 8:40pm; Reply: 7
Mansfield are not the new Real Madrid . No wins in three away . Play offs for them if they improve their finishing
Posted by: Chalky, August 19, 2023, 8:41pm; Reply: 8
I find it amazing that Gillingham are top of the league after four games and have only scored four goals
Posted by: fishcake63, August 19, 2023, 8:45pm; Reply: 9
No certainly not real madrid but a team that will take some stopping at this level , 4 or 5 first teamers out as well
Posted by: ginnywings, August 19, 2023, 8:47pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Chalky
I find it amazing that Gillingham are top of the league after four games and have only scored four goals

One is enough if you shut up shop.

George Graham era Arsenal.
Posted by: male private Nale, August 19, 2023, 8:53pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Chalky

You are missing the point, what should be lauded is they have not conceded in four games, you only need the one goal.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 19, 2023, 9:14pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from HerveJosse
Mansfield are not the new Real Madrid . No wins in three away . Play offs for them if they improve their finishing

You don’t need to be Real Madrid to get out of this league .. for me they showed enough to be almost certainly be in the mix at the end of the season at the top end of our league  
Posted by: Chalky, August 19, 2023, 9:19pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from male private Nale

You are missing the point, what should be lauded is they have not conceded in four games, you only need the one goal.

Blimey,tough audience 😊
Posted by: fishcake63, August 19, 2023, 9:20pm; Reply: 14
[quote=353]

You don’t need to be Real Madrid to get out of this league .. for me they showed enough to be almost certainly be in the mix at the end of the season at the top end of our league  [correct stevenage found a way under our xxxxxxl friend
Posted by: rancido, August 20, 2023, 9:36am; Reply: 15
Quoted from ginnywings

One is enough if you shut up shop.

George Graham era Arsenal.

Very much like the cattenacio system used in Italian football in the late 50's through to the early 1970's. Defend in depth, create 3 or 4 scoring opportunities with the strikers having the ability to convert 1.
Posted by: kevikov, August 20, 2023, 12:16pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from rancido

Very much like the cattenacio system used in Italian football in the late 50's through to the early 1970's. Defend in depth, create 3 or 4 scoring opportunities with the strikers having the ability to convert 1.

Pretty sure they still do that don’t they? Never seen anything else from Italy!
Posted by: Maringer, August 20, 2023, 12:18pm; Reply: 17
Not just defensive play. Sometimes they bribe the referees to help them score goals as well.
Posted by: RonMariner, August 20, 2023, 12:30pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from fishcake63
No certainly not real madrid but a team that will take some stopping at this level , 4 or 5 first teamers out as well

We were without Maher, Khan, Wilson, and Pyle is not fully match fit. So it’s a good point for us I think, and 4 from the last two games is good going in my book.
Posted by: Croxton, August 20, 2023, 8:44pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from RonMariner

We were without Maher, Khan, Wilson, and Pyle is not fully match fit. So it’s a good point for us I think, and 4 from the last two games is good going in my book.

Ah, that's why he moved rather gingerly!
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 21, 2023, 9:05am; Reply: 20
Quoted from HerveJosse

To be fair, they had two of their forwards in defence in the second half!  

I'm guessing it was due to injuries but they started the game with Jordan Bowery at right-back and Lucas Akins ahead of him.  Second half Akins dropped back with Bowery partnering Aden Flint at centre-back.

Bowery especially looked like he had played there all his life.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 22, 2023, 6:23pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from diehardmariner

To be fair, they had two of their forwards in defence in the second half!  

I'm guessing it was due to injuries but they started the game with Jordan Bowery at right-back and Lucas Akins ahead of him.  Second half Akins dropped back with Bowery partnering Aden Flint at centre-back.

Bowery especially looked like he had played there all his life.

It helped that he had absolutely nothing to do. Surely it would have been worth putting Vernam on down the left channel up against Akins & Bowery?

There was a gaping weakness and we didn’t even attempt to exploit it.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, August 22, 2023, 7:06pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from GollyGTFC

It helped that he had absolutely nothing to do. Surely it would have been worth putting Vernam on down the left channel up against Akins & Bowery?

There was a gaping weakness and we didn’t even attempt to exploit it.

Think you’re assuming that Vernam would take his full back on? Great idea but so far he just runs towards his marker stops and lays it off!!

Hoping when Khan returns we might see someone with a bit of pace who is willing to risk losing the ball in his attempt to create more and better goal scoring opportunities.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 1:51pm