Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Non Football  /  
Posted by: Sandford1981, August 17, 2023, 6:14pm
Has died aged 88.

Obviously he was a big cricket fan and so it seems appropriate to say he had a good innings.
I always enjoyed his interviews and I was particularly fond of any with Peter Kay, Billy Connolly and Sir David Attenborough but they were all pretty damn good regardless.

Another slice of my formative years gone. Rest in Peace Parky!!
Posted by: ginnywings, August 17, 2023, 6:31pm; Reply: 1
A very good night. Goodnight.

Fantastic interviewer, who got the best out of his interviewees.

Loved his talks with Spike Milligan among others.

Kenneth Williams interview is one that sticks in my mind.
Posted by: DB, August 17, 2023, 6:46pm; Reply: 2
Too many guests to mention, but he created the chat show and was the best; all others followed but couldn't beat his charm, charisma and the activating way he spoke to his guests, apart from the Emu.
Posted by: Sandford1981, August 17, 2023, 6:54pm; Reply: 3
It always struck me that he was authentic, himself and not Michael Parkinson playing a role of a chat show host. I think that helps in disarming his guests and let’s them relax too with great results.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 17, 2023, 11:37pm; Reply: 4
Yes enjoyed his chats with the famous.

RIP. Parky
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, August 18, 2023, 9:16am; Reply: 5
A lost art form now, he would actually research his interviewees and engage with them - most journalists these days seem to think the Paxman route is the only way to go.  Also an actual 'boy done good' coming from a mining family, no nepotism involved in his success just talent
Posted by: barralad, August 20, 2023, 11:15am; Reply: 6
My favourite interview was the one which introduced the world to Billy Connolly where he ended with THAT joke about the gut who buried his wife in the conservatory with her backside sticking out so he'd have somewhere to park his bike.
Posted by: Sandford1981, August 20, 2023, 4:07pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from barralad
My favourite interview was the one which introduced the world to Billy Connolly where he ended with THAT joke about the gut who buried his wife in the conservatory with her backside sticking out so he'd have somewhere to park his bike.

Yeah that is an absolute classic! I love the fact Parky is comfortable with Billy being the star and just watches him as a fan absolutely wetting himself. I also love the fact Billy amuses himself like he’s hearing what he’s saying for the first time as if someone else is telling the joke.Top, top drawer!!
Print page generated: May 9, 2024, 9:57pm