Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 16, 2023, 11:18am
Does anyone else still not see the point of the delayed flag when a player is offside?  I just watched the Australian forward run almost half the length of the pitch before the Lino put her flag up.  I just don’t see the point.
Posted by: carrot top, August 16, 2023, 11:20am; Reply: 1
It is because should the player go on to score, VAR would then review it for offside. I know some are obvious but that is the rule
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 16, 2023, 11:25am; Reply: 2
But VAR isn’t universal.
Posted by: carrot top, August 16, 2023, 11:28am; Reply: 3
Quoted from 123614
But VAR isn’t universal.

Take your point but I thought you meant it in isolation (VAR)
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 16, 2023, 2:18pm; Reply: 4
It's an absolutely pointless rule.  

It won't be long before someone gets clattered by a chasing defender only to find out the play was offside all along.

Soon as the player makes their intent towards the ball it should be flagged as offside, no benefit at all in delaying the flag going up.
Posted by: Brazilnut, August 16, 2023, 3:12pm; Reply: 5
Think the point is  if the defender stops because the flag has gone up only for VAR  to prove he was on side
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 16, 2023, 4:25pm; Reply: 6
So if it’s obviously offside but the lino doesn’t put their flag up straight away, then the defending centre half clatters into the striker is it a free kick, as in theory the player was offside so the game should have stopped, or would the attacking side then be given a free kick or even a penalty for the “foul”?
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, August 16, 2023, 4:27pm; Reply: 7
A couple of TV pundits have made the same point about this and I agree with them: what if a player gets injured in the period between the offence and the flag going up (or VAR review)? If the flag had gone up immediately the game would have stopped and the player wouldn't have got injured.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, August 16, 2023, 5:15pm; Reply: 8
I'm always annoyed with something like the following situation:

A midfielder threads a through ball to the striker, who happens to be offside but at this point in time, only the lino knows that. The covering defender, thinking he has to make a challenge, clears the ball into the Pontoon and the ref gives a corner.

The offside player's team have gained an advantage when the ref should have given offside.
Posted by: Geordie Mariner 66, August 16, 2023, 5:30pm; Reply: 9
We should also consider the amount of time from when the flag should have gone up, to when it actually does. Stops the game flowing and must contribute to the amount of excessive stoppage time.

Stupid application of the laws of the game for my money.
Posted by: golfer, August 16, 2023, 7:26pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Gaffer58
So if it’s obviously offside but the lino doesn’t put their flag up straight away, then the defending centre half clatters into the striker is it a free kick, as in theory the player was offside so the game should have stopped, or would the attacking side then be given a free kick or even a penalty for the “foul”?

The lino wants his flag putting straight up
Posted by: GrimRob, August 17, 2023, 11:00am; Reply: 11
If they don't touch the ball though then there's no need to raisr the flag? So another player who was onside runs on and gets the ball it is ok because the offside player was not active.
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 17, 2023, 1:12pm; Reply: 12
But surely to god if the player is making movements towards the ball, regardless if they end up touching it or not, they are influencing the play and are therefore 'active'.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, August 17, 2023, 5:56pm; Reply: 13
It’s another example of pointless tinkering with the rules thanks to VAR . And then there’s this ridiculous extra minutes being played rule . Just leave the game alone we loved it how it was ffs
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 17, 2023, 6:32pm; Reply: 14
Talking of VAR did you see the blatant penalty not given to Wolves on Monday night?

One game in and the apologies are in full swing from Howard Webb and Co.

VAR is just designating the responsibility to an off field referee who still gives a subjective view, often the wrong one.

Of course it doesn't matter how many mistakes are made by the VAR refs we (well the PL) are stuck with it.
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 17, 2023, 8:23pm; Reply: 15
Surprise surprise VAR worked in favour of one of the big 6 AGAIN.
Posted by: Brummie Codfather, August 18, 2023, 1:04pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from GrimRob
If they don't touch the ball though then there's no need to raisr the flag? So another player who was onside runs on and gets the ball it is ok because the offside player was not active.

If the offside player influences how the defence react though, it should be offside whether he touches the ball or not.  I know that’s not the current rule but imo it’s what it should be.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, August 18, 2023, 2:32pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Brummie Codfather

If the offside player influences how the defence react though, it should be offside whether he touches the ball or not.  I know that’s not the current rule but imo it’s what it should be.

Yep, to paraphrase Brian Clough: if you're not influencing play, what are you doing on the pitch?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 18, 2023, 3:04pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from ivanosandwich
I'm always annoyed with something like the following situation:

A midfielder threads a through ball to the striker, who happens to be offside but at this point in time, only the lino knows that. The covering defender, thinking he has to make a challenge, clears the ball into the Pontoon and the ref gives a corner.

The offside player's team have gained an advantage when the ref should have given offside.

In this situation, the lino knows it's offside so should flag once the phase of play is over.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 19, 2023, 9:41am; Reply: 19
Talking of VAR did you see the blatant penalty not given to Wolves on Monday night?

One game in and the apologies are in full swing from Howard Webb and Co.

VAR is just designating the responsibility to an off field referee who still gives a subjective view, often the wrong one.

Of course it doesn't matter how many mistakes are made by the VAR refs we (well the PL) are stuck with it.

Maybe VAR ‘officials’ should have to give a reason and explain why they did/didn’t award the offence. Teams are left just having to accept the decision that has been made. If technology is to be used then it would be good to have explanations and those ‘officials’ be held accountable
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 5:41am