Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 28, 2023, 10:35pm
Not an easy decision for Hurst as in my eyes we got excellent cover for 2 players per position.

This is even a difficult decision for me as i'm a massive fan of Michele Efete and Kieran Green but based on paper, pre-season performances and injuries I would like to see us line up like this come next Saturday....

Eastwood

Mullarkey.    Rodgers.     Maher.   Glennon

Conteh.        Hunt

Eisa.                 Clifton.             Vernam

Rose

Posted by: Surrey97, July 28, 2023, 11:07pm; Reply: 1
Rumours Mullarkey is injured
Posted by: LH, July 28, 2023, 11:11pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Surrey97
Rumours Mullarkey is injured

Not sure ‘injured’ is the rumour…
Posted by: GrimExile, July 28, 2023, 11:47pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from LH

Then what is then?!!

Posted by: Norseman, July 29, 2023, 12:01am; Reply: 4
Quoted from GrimExile

Then what is then?!!

Supposed to be issues with his heart .But only rumour .Hopefully incorrect for the lad most importantly and our team secondly
Posted by: lukeo, July 29, 2023, 5:59am; Reply: 5
I think what you've written will be the XI.  Although depending on a few situations I'd be tempted with Wilson camcand Clifton on the left with Vernham on the bench as from what I've seen in pre season that's the XI who stand out... But, I am a big Vernham fan and hope he brings his a game as he can, on his day, terrorise any league 2 defence.
Posted by: Mappers, July 29, 2023, 6:33am; Reply: 6
Go back to basics , probably got enough without the new firepower ,the Wombles are not much - use the flair players off the bench if we can't break them down .

Eastwood
     Efete.            Rogers      Maher      Glennon

Khan                Hunt     Green           Clifton
                                   Holahan
                                      Rose
Posted by: thefish, July 29, 2023, 6:53am; Reply: 7
Quoted from lukeo
I think what you've written will be the XI.  Although depending on a few situations I'd be tempted with Wilson camcand Clifton on the left with Vernham on the bench as from what I've seen in pre season that's the XI who stand out... But, I am a big Vernham fan and hope he brings his a game as he can, on his day, terrorise any league 2 defence.

Learn to drop the ‘h’ from his name then! Oh, and add a Grimsby ‘s’ to the end of it.

But, I am a big Vernams fan
Posted by: fishboyUTM, July 29, 2023, 7:42am; Reply: 8
Quoted from lukeo

Me too, I'm a massive fan of Vernam. He's had a quiet pre season from what I've seen and barely influenced games. At 26, it's time for him to deliver on his potential and I hope he feels that way too.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, July 29, 2023, 7:52am; Reply: 9
Eastwood

Mullarkey
Rodgers
Maher
Glenno

Hunt
Conteh

Vernam
Wilson
Harry

Rose

Loved seeing Wilson so far in Pre-Season. Still think Hursty will bring in 1-2 more before end of the window. Another Striker incase of injury to rose and just a utility man that will probably play in 2 positions.
Posted by: golfer, July 29, 2023, 8:28am; Reply: 10
Quoted from thefish

Learn to drop the ‘h’ from his name then! Oh, and add a Grimsby ‘s’ to the end of it.

But, I am a big Vernams fan

Are you CHAOS 33 in disguise  ;D
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, July 29, 2023, 8:58am; Reply: 11
Personally I'd like to see us be more adventurous and start with two strikers in home games. I don't have much faith that Vernam, Khan or Eisa are going to score that many in a 433. So i'd go with a 442 midfield diamond

Eastwood
Mularkey/Efete Rogers Maher Glennon
Conteh (DM)
Clifton (CM - R)
Vernam (CM-L)
Hunt (CM Central - sort of No.10 attacking midfield role)
Rose
Wilson

I'm still worried about a like of height in our midfield and attack though, and can see this being a problem against the land-of-the-giant teams in the league.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 29, 2023, 9:10am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Personally I'd like to see us be more adventurous and start with two strikers in home games. I don't have much faith that Vernam, Khan or Eisa are going to score that many in a 433. So i'd go with a 442 midfield diamond

Eastwood
Mularkey/Efete Rogers Maher Glennon
Conteh (DM)
Clifton (CM - R)
Vernam (CM-L)
Hunt (CM Central - sort of No.10 attacking midfield role)
Rose
Wilson

I'm still worried about a like of height in our midfield and attack though, and can see this being a problem against the land-of-the-giant teams in the league.

However Vernam is spelt, he isn’t a CM.
Posted by: Surrey97, July 29, 2023, 10:04am; Reply: 13
Quoted from LH

Yeah should’ve said illness. Hopefully it’s a load of nonsense, as it could be a long absence if it’s true.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, July 29, 2023, 10:54am; Reply: 14
Quoted from MuddyWaters

However Vernam is spelt, he isn’t a CM.

I know he's more of a left sided attacker, but I'd imagine that PH expects him to defend the left side when we are out of possession, so its not too much of a stretch for him to be used as the player on the left in a four man midfield diamond - just tucking in a bit when we we are defending. If I'd said a flat 442 with him on the left of midfield I don't think many would say he couldn't play that position.
Posted by: thefish, July 29, 2023, 11:21am; Reply: 15
Quoted from golfer

Are you CHAOS 33 in disguise  ;D

I’m more ‘gentle disorder’ than ‘chaos’ these days…
Posted by: Blundellite, July 29, 2023, 11:54am; Reply: 16
Sorry but just Can't see the goals needed for top end of the league being scored in that team. Hope I'm wrong of course
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, July 29, 2023, 12:00pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Surrey97

Yeah should’ve said illness. Hopefully it’s a load of nonsense, as it could be a long absence if it’s true.

Would be tragic for the lad and bad news for the club if true…here’s hoping for the best

Posted by: jimgtfc, July 29, 2023, 12:06pm; Reply: 18
Eastwood

Mullarkey (if fit)
Rodgers
Maher
Glennon

Hunt
Conteh
Clifton

Eisa
Rose
Vernam
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 29, 2023, 12:49pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

I know he's more of a left sided attacker, but I'd imagine that PH expects him to defend the left side when we are out of possession, so its not too much of a stretch for him to be used as the player on the left in a four man midfield diamond - just tucking in a bit when we we are defending. If I'd said a flat 442 with him on the left of midfield I don't think many would say he couldn't play that position.

I would say that it’s pretty unlikely we’ll start with a 442. None of our wide options (Vernam, Eisa, Wilson, Khan) are very defensively minded.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, July 29, 2023, 12:56pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I would say that it’s pretty unlikely we’ll start with a 442. None of our wide options (Vernam, Eisa, Wilson, Khan) are very defensively minded.

I think you are probably right, I suspect it will be 433. I’d just like to see us find a way to play 2 strikers in home games.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 29, 2023, 1:12pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Blundellite
Sorry but just Can't see the goals needed for top end of the league being scored in that team. Hope I'm wrong of course

Expect the goals to come from wide and midfield.

Both Vernam and Eisa have good goal scoring records at this level for wide players. Kahn also scores goals.

You'd also expect Clifton to continue to score regularly due to how often he gets in goalscoring positions.
I also think Holohan will play more than expected.

Only seen Rose briefly and at his previous clubs but he will create space for others. Clever runs and little flick ons for willing runners.

I think Vernam will be our top scorer with about 15.  
Posted by: AdamHaddock, July 29, 2023, 1:58pm; Reply: 22
I like the OP's line up. But both keepers worry me
Posted by: golfer, July 29, 2023, 2:13pm; Reply: 23
I'm surprised people haven't included Khan Holloran or Waterfall in their selections
Posted by: DB, July 29, 2023, 2:44pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from golfer
I'm surprised people haven't included Khan Holloran or Waterfall in their selections

Waterfall plays today with Holohan as a sub. No news of Khan though, unless he's been rested.

Posted by: lukeo, July 29, 2023, 2:57pm; Reply: 25
soz 'ard
Posted by: ancientmariner54, July 29, 2023, 2:59pm; Reply: 26
Can't see Mullarkey playing any time soon following the way he went off the other night . Looked very worried and holding his chest .
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, July 29, 2023, 4:48pm; Reply: 27
                                                       Eastwood

Mullarkey (if fit enough of course otherwise Efete)    Rodgers     Maher   Glennon

Harry                     Conteh                    Khouri/Hunt (not bothered which one starts)

Eisa                     Rose                     Vernam

It's very simple for me, we've looked our best in the preseason in a 433 with this general squad, playing the high press, pass and move football we were treated to.
Posted by: MaccasBoots, July 29, 2023, 5:07pm; Reply: 28
With the injuries mounting, I expect it will be:

Eastwood
Efete Rodgers Maher Glennon
Hunt Conteh
Clifton Holohan Vernam
Rose
Posted by: TAGG, July 29, 2023, 6:06pm; Reply: 29
The side that started v Lincoln would do me.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, July 30, 2023, 5:06pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from MaccasBoots
With the injuries mounting, I expect it will be:

Eastwood
Hunt Conteh
Clifton Holohan Vernam
Rose

This is exactly the side I expect to start. Even considering our injuries that looks a decent side to me. Can't wait now!!!
Posted by: wiggers, July 30, 2023, 8:43pm; Reply: 31
4-1-4-1

Eastwood
                Green
Esia Clifton Conteh Vernam
                 Rose
Posted by: Tommy, July 30, 2023, 8:55pm; Reply: 32
Eastwood
Hunt Conteh Clifton
Eisa Rose Vernam