Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Poojah, July 28, 2023, 2:05pm
The EFL’s latest annual “it’s not broke but let’s fix it anyway” rule change extravaganza has arrived. Key changes / updates / clarifications include:

Most of this sounds like something that was already introduced, or should have been some time ago. The most noticeable one will be the change to added time; presumably we’ll be seeing a lot more 8 or 9 minutes added on as we did at the World Cup. I quite liked it, personally.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66335147
Posted by: ginnywings, July 28, 2023, 2:09pm; Reply: 1
If it stops infuriating time wasting, then I'm all for it.

Unless it's a vital play off game, and the keeper gets cramp.  ;)
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 28, 2023, 2:40pm; Reply: 2
I think that is a good set of changes to be fair, especially time added on. Let's hope people don't start to leave at 80 odd minutes as they might miss half an hour of play.
Posted by: DB, July 28, 2023, 2:50pm; Reply: 3
Looks like sensible changes to me.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, July 28, 2023, 2:56pm; Reply: 4
Listening to the fans not before time
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 28, 2023, 3:11pm; Reply: 5
Seems reasonable, thought the added time at the World Cup was completely correct, I’ve paid for 90 minutes of football not 52, which I think is quite close to the actual playing time at the moment.
Posted by: 99agrant, July 28, 2023, 3:22pm; Reply: 6
Surely they will need to sort out the handball rule? They need to bring back if it’s accidental it’s not handball
Far too many soft penalties given when the player has clearly had no intention to handball it
Posted by: Heisenberg, July 28, 2023, 3:53pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Poojah
The EFL’s latest annual “it’s not broke but let’s fix it anyway” rule change extravaganza has arrived. Key changes / updates / clarifications include:

• The amount of time added on to reflect the actual amount of time lost during stoppages (goals, substitutions etc.), as opposed to the previous, “nominal” amount

• Multi-ball at all grounds

• A “high threshold” for penalising contact to help keep games flowing

• Yellow card-only for players denying a goal scoring opportunity, provided they made a genuine challenge for the ball

• Injured players have to leave the field of play for treatment (unless goalkeeper, injured or dead)

Most of this sounds like something that was already introduced, or should have been some time ago. The most noticeable one will be the change to added time; presumably we’ll be seeing a lot more 8 or 9 minutes added on as we did at the World Cup. I quite liked it, personally.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66335147

Did YOU add the “or dead” bit?!!
Posted by: lukeo, July 28, 2023, 5:41pm; Reply: 8
I didn't know the right way to comment about the death part but I definitely wouldn't have written it like that.
Posted by: mimma, July 28, 2023, 5:51pm; Reply: 9
I would like football to copy rugby. When a player goes down the ref signals the clock to stop. It starts again when play resumes. Also when time is up the ball has to go out of play for the game to finish.
There would be no more of players faking injury.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 28, 2023, 6:13pm; Reply: 10
Book later trains
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 28, 2023, 7:21pm; Reply: 11
"A “high threshold” for penalising contact to help keep games flowing"

Lets hope its not as high as back in the 60s and 70s when players were allowed to get away with dismembering a couple of the opposing team and getting nothing more than a pat on the back and a big laugh from the Referee
Posted by: kafunanapar140909, July 28, 2023, 7:49pm; Reply: 12
All those changes seem reasonable. But the thing I really want to see, above anything else, is greater consistency among all the refs. I know we're a lower league club, and so have lower-standard officials, but the ineptitude of our refs does seem to swing massively game to game.
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 28, 2023, 10:41pm; Reply: 13
I wondered why we had a ball on cones along the side of the pitch during pre-season and thought Hurst now favoured a fast dynamic during home games. Turns out it's new EFL law to increase entertainment in the game. Well done also for the amended time wasting and stoppage time rule. That always did me in, how teams would take a break away goal at BP and then suck the life out of the game.
Well done
Posted by: DB, July 29, 2023, 5:27am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Heisenberg

Did YOU add the “or dead” bit?!!

Apparently, they saw a replay of the Dunston v Gateshead game!

Posted by: 137 (Guest), July 29, 2023, 7:05am; Reply: 15
Personally, I think a dead goalkeeper should be allowed to leave the pitch.

The rest of it I can understand.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 29, 2023, 7:46am; Reply: 16
I’d imagine the time allowed directive will quickly be ignored, similar to when they introduced the 6 second rule.

As for the others, they make sense but in truth I’m expecting to see little change, although the multi ball thing makes sense and should help at least, assuming it’s enforced and players don’t just ignore them…
Posted by: Ruston AT, July 29, 2023, 8:30am; Reply: 17

I'd like to see a punishment for a player " taking one for the team" when there's a breakaway. maybe a booking and 5 mins in a sin bin rugby style.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, July 29, 2023, 9:38am; Reply: 18
I think that is a good set of changes to be fair, especially time added on. Let's hope people don't start to leave at 80 odd minutes as they might miss half an hour of play.

People always leave early to avoid the traffic, personally never really understood why, my old man would drag me away early from games, the times we would hear a roar when down GY rd.  When I started going myself, I always stay to the end, mill around taking the opportunity to have a quick chat with the players, while the traffic dies down then go.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 5:45am