Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 25, 2023, 2:07pm
Key information ahead of tonight's match.....

https://gtfc.co.uk/key-information-ahead-of-tonights-match/

Lincoln getting their excuses in already.....

https://staceywest.net/2023/07/25/grimsby-town-away-it-really-doesnt-matter-and-heres-why/

Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, July 25, 2023, 2:24pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from promotion plaice

That is an almighty large piece that shows me nothing more than, yes, yes it really does matter to him.  ;D

Lincoln were not really a direct rival until my adulthood, I'm either too young to remember the old Fourth Division games or too old to appreciate the rivalry with them that stemmed from 2006 and the National League games, having had my childhood and early adulthood in the second and third levels.

Lincoln, meh, local team, I want to win every game we play, but I've always felt they hate us a lot more than we do them, that much so that I'm rather indifferent about them. Rather an amusing read.

Posted by: sam gy, July 25, 2023, 2:31pm; Reply: 2
Christ that was a panful, meandering read  ;D

Instead of writing an essay on why the match doesn't matter he could have simply written "it's a friendly".

Genuinely had forgotten we were even playing them tonight.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 25, 2023, 2:42pm; Reply: 3
Christ, he must get paid by the word or something.
Posted by: aussiej, July 25, 2023, 2:52pm; Reply: 4
Been doing some painting today and that dried faster than that snoozefest.... Yawn.....
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 25, 2023, 2:53pm; Reply: 5
It doesn't matter...but here's 1400 words on it.
Posted by: immariner, July 25, 2023, 2:57pm; Reply: 6
I thought it was amusing. Looked at a couple of the linked articles too. Been surrounded by Town fans almost his entire working life it seems and it's clear he has a begrudging affection for us  ;D
Posted by: aldi_01, July 25, 2023, 3:00pm; Reply: 7
flipping hell. Bet that girl private is a right laugh at parties.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 25, 2023, 3:06pm; Reply: 8
So, does he hate us then or not?
Posted by: chaos33, July 25, 2023, 3:09pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from diehardmariner

Exactly my thought!
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, July 25, 2023, 3:28pm; Reply: 10
Based on the article I put a few quid on a Town win tonight. Hope he hasn’t pulled a fast one….
Posted by: HatTrickHero, July 25, 2023, 3:39pm; Reply: 11
GTFC opening up another stand tonight to accomodate the Lincoln fans unusually large chips on their shoulders.
Posted by: TonySmith, July 25, 2023, 3:42pm; Reply: 12
I actually found the article by the Lincoln City fan quite a thoughtful, entertaining read. Yes, he could have just written, " The result doesn't matter because it's a pre-season friendly," but then again we have a 300 page thread on Scunthorpe United that could just have said, "They're screwed!" But where's the fun in that?
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 25, 2023, 3:54pm; Reply: 13

Weather forecast doesn't look great, 71% chance of rain at 1900 hours on the BBC website.
Posted by: Yarborough Vaults, July 25, 2023, 3:59pm; Reply: 14
Weird they grow up hating us. I was always ambivalent about the Imps as they are from a rather nice city that has constantly improved, especially with the university.
Hull were always the main rivals, then Scunny.
Either way, I agree that friendlies are a waste of time in terms of the real football landscape. Couldn't care less who wins tonight.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 25, 2023, 4:14pm; Reply: 15

£12 per adult (£24 for me and my wife) for a pre-season friendly where it's rumoured Lincoln could be playing a weakened side, or £5 for streaming the game on Mariners TV.

Difficult decision but might still go.

Posted by: toontown, July 25, 2023, 4:32pm; Reply: 16
I actually enjoyed that article, the references to other fans (webbing for Boston etc)

Not sure if going tonite.
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, July 25, 2023, 4:37pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults
Weird they grow up hating us. I was always ambivalent about the Imps as they are from a rather nice city that has constantly improved, especially with the university.
Hull were always the main rivals, then Scunny.
Either way, I agree that friendlies are a waste of time in terms of the real football landscape. Couldn't care less who wins tonight.

Agree on this, remember being relegated into League Two to this barrage of peculiar hatred, and thinking "are we meant to hate them back or something?" Even living in Gainsborough at the time and having a few Lincoln fans around I always found it bizarre the levels of enjoyment they'd have around the turn of the millennium absolutely loving us losing to Forest or Man City, whilst they were losing at home to Chester City or Torquay? Remember thinking I am not even bothered what you guys do ha!

I understand some Town fans do view them as a direct rival seeing as we've played them more frequently over the past couple of decades, but traditional me grew up seeing the likes of Barnsley, Sheffield United or Wednesday as more of a direct rivals, and of course if we hated at our local clubs and those below us then it was 100% Hull and Scunny. Lincoln were as much of a rival as Notts County, Chesterfield or Mansfield, local-ish team, barely play them other than in a friendly and couldn't name more than 2 or 3 of their players.

Always found their chant "we smell fish" amusing, it's like they were blissfully unaware that we constantly sing about fish ourselves, and also don't find that song or the term "Codhead" offensive in the slightest.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 25, 2023, 5:06pm; Reply: 18
Clearly he is a closet town fan......  

Posted by: grimps, July 25, 2023, 5:32pm; Reply: 19
Sounds like he’s getting his excuses in for not attending .

I used to love the annual Imp excusefest for reasons why they couldn’t make the Derby game at Blundell park 😂
We’ve always filled their away end whatever division and whatever league position we’ve been in , same as we have all our local rivals.
We usually take well over 1000 for pre season games too.
They’ve only managed to fill ours a couple of times on recent years and always seemed to have a phobia about visiting us 😂
Posted by: BenBB, July 25, 2023, 5:52pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from diehardmariner

Here, I used ChatGPT to sum it up

Main Topic: The author expresses his opinion on why the friendly match between Lincoln City and Grimsby Town does not matter and why he does not hate Grimsby as a rival club.

Author’s Arguments: The author argues that the friendly match is a win/win for Lincoln, as it gives the fringe players a chance to gain confidence and fitness, and that the result has no impact on the league standings or the history of the rivalry. He also argues that having local rivals is a good thing, but that he respects Grimsby fans for supporting their local team, and that he dislikes clubs that are artificially boosted by money more than clubs that are close geographically.

Author’s Examples: The author cites some examples of previous competitive and friendly matches between Lincoln and Grimsby, as well as some personal anecdotes of interacting with Grimsby fans in his work and social life. He also mentions some other local rivals, such as Boston, Hull, Scunthorpe, and Notts County, and some clubs that he despises, such as Forest Green, Fleetwood, Salford, and MK Dons.

Posted by: lukeo, July 25, 2023, 6:05pm; Reply: 21
3,000 I reckon tonight with walk ups.. triple what we used to get prior to the new owners.
Posted by: NorfolkImp, July 25, 2023, 6:07pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from aldi_01
flipping hell. Bet that girl private is a right laugh at parties.

He’s actually a top bloke … and his 40th birthday bash several years ago was a crackin’ night.

Posted by: Kris2, July 25, 2023, 6:28pm; Reply: 23
Yes it's a pre season game so doesn't matter. Let's just hope for a more competitive game than that Hull game that was a well attended local game that was just a training match for anybody on the pitch with no omph about it. After a week training in the sun and getting to know each other I'd like to at least see some improvement on trying to play an actual game and some chemistry in the side. Some good individual performances against Hull but first half very much like a team of strangers feeling each other out.
Print page generated: May 9, 2024, 5:26am