Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: BenBB, June 26, 2023, 5:38pm
Mentioned on the recent 'What The Footie' podcast with Debbie Cook but now officially announced

Tweet 1673361718636867587 will appear here...

https://gtfc.co.uk/all-town-arent-we-documentary-series-announced/

Looking forward to this, documentary by the production team behind the rather decent "Three Day Millionaire" film.

Hasn't been announced yet where it's going but taking a brief look at the distribution company seems like they've got some large shows that they've distributed in the past onto Netflix/Amazon/Discovery/NBC etc. etc. so hopefully will land on Netflix or Prime.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 26, 2023, 10:09pm; Reply: 1
Oh oh.....could we be seen to copying Wrexham ?
Are we to be in the juxtaposition of slagging them and Netflix but then following a similar route?
Posted by: Wedidntdidwe, June 26, 2023, 10:21pm; Reply: 2
Ours will be after the event rather than a documentary expecting a happy ending due to the money spent by famous people.
Posted by: ska face, June 26, 2023, 10:35pm; Reply: 3
Looking forward to it, just praying they haven’t got Thomas Turgoose doing the voiceover.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 27, 2023, 3:22am; Reply: 4
Quoted from ska face
Looking forward to it, just praying they haven’t got Thomas Turgoose doing the voiceover.

I’d prefer Brian blessed screaming ‘gordons alive’ with each last minute goal
Posted by: male private Nale, June 27, 2023, 4:07am; Reply: 5
Who the hell will watch this other than town fans?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 27, 2023, 5:44am; Reply: 6
Quoted from male private Nale

I’ve watched the Sunderland Leeds spurs ones I’ve no interest in these clubs but still enjoyed them
Posted by: aldi_01, June 27, 2023, 6:11am; Reply: 7

What a weird response…you alright?
Posted by: lukeo, June 27, 2023, 6:30am; Reply: 8

I've watched the Wrexham, man city, arsenal, spurs and Sunderland ones so far.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 27, 2023, 6:45am; Reply: 9
Quoted from moosey_club
Are we to be in the juxtaposition of slagging them and Netflix but then following a similar route?

The Wrexham one is on Disney+, not Netflix.
Posted by: sam gy, June 27, 2023, 7:45am; Reply: 10
Quoted from moosey_club

Because Wrexham invented the football documentary?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 27, 2023, 7:53am; Reply: 11
I think the one about AFC Richmond gives the best insight
Posted by: moosey_club, June 27, 2023, 8:28am; Reply: 12
Quoted from sam gy

Because Wrexham invented the football documentary?

The way its gone I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan and Rob are soon discovered to be mentioned in the tomb scriptures of ancient Egypt .

Mind you I did see an article the other day that says they have just bought into F1 now also with Alpine, maybe their interests will be diverted.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 27, 2023, 8:45am; Reply: 13
I enjoyed the Yeovil one. If well done these documentaries are of interest to football fans generally. The story is an exceptional one, it couldn’t be more dramatic, plus Wrexham features in the saga so I think it will appeal to plenty of viewers.
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, June 27, 2023, 9:14am; Reply: 14

Masochistic Notts/Wrexham/Solihull fans obviously.  

Being serious though quite a lot of people, it's got the ingredients for success (not runaway success, but some success) - underdog story, sports doc, banging 9 goal thriller widely acknowledged as the best play off game in years by many neutrals, recent higher profile of Grimsby in world media.  Just hope all the new Pakistani fans buy it before they realise Khan wasn't involved......
Posted by: sutton mariner, June 27, 2023, 9:15am; Reply: 15
Bravo to all on here who were part and kept it secret for the last year or so. Strap in Mariners fans, it’s emotional.
Posted by: ska face, June 27, 2023, 9:19am; Reply: 16
Yeah got to say I was surprised to see it was with some distributor to try and flog, I was expecting it to be a club-shop DVD job (and would’ve been more than happy with that).

If they’re done well, almost any sports documentary is watchable. It’s almost universal - winners, losers, adversity, joy, despair, drama, you don’t need Aaron Sorkin writing it.

If we make a quid more than it cost, it’ll be worth it.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, June 27, 2023, 10:03am; Reply: 17
I think based on the pure emotion involved coupled with how good three day millionaire was done, it’s got every tool for it to be a success. Massively looking forward to it, there’s only so many times I can watch the matchday moments from those games 😆
Posted by: Mappers, June 27, 2023, 10:14am; Reply: 18
Sports fans like sporting stories so it will do really well I would imagine . Enjoyed the Sunderland one but have not watched the Wrexham thing i just imagine lot's of American soundbites with reference to goal tenders and soccer.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 27, 2023, 10:18am; Reply: 19
Quoted from moosey_club

Wrexham didn’t invent football documentaries.

A good early one was “Albion in the Orient” following West Brom on a tour of China.

John Treeick famously said whilst at the Great Wall of China “impressive, but when you’ve seen one wall, you’ve seen them all”.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 27, 2023, 10:26am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Mappers
Sports fans like sporting stories so it will do really well I would imagine . Enjoyed the Sunderland one but have not watched the Wrexham thing i just imagine lot's of American soundbites with reference to goal tenders and soccer.

Not quite true. It’s a good watch, only let down by a single quirky, intentionally dumb episode.
Posted by: Poojah, June 27, 2023, 10:28am; Reply: 21
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Wrexham didn’t invent football documentaries.

A good early one was “Albion in the Orient” following West Brom on a tour of China.

John Treeick famously said whilst at the Great Wall of China “impressive, but when you’ve seen one wall, you’ve seen them all”.

Speaking of the Orient; this half-time rant from John Sitton, taken from the “Orient for a fiver” documentary in the mid-nineties is a classic:

Posted by: Heisenberg, June 27, 2023, 10:48am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Poojah

Speaking of the Orient; this half-time rant from John Sitton, taken from the “Orient for a fiver” documentary in the mid-nineties is a classic:

Well he’s a charmer!!!
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 27, 2023, 10:49am; Reply: 23
Any idea when the first part will be out?
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, June 27, 2023, 11:03am; Reply: 24
Living with the lions etc were all huge successes, following the lions tours.  Things like Simon Zebo having to call up his club coach and demand to be captain next season as a fine are hilarious and hopefully there's some of that side of the unseen dressing room stuff in the new Town documentary
Posted by: RichMariner, June 27, 2023, 11:10am; Reply: 25
This is brilliant, really looking forward to it.

Well done to the club for commissioning it, well done to Jack and everyone involved who's made it... well done to the players for starring in it!

Can't wait to watch it!

Also, I think its appeal is kind of niche, but having said that, there are a lot of genuine football fans out there who are very interested in how a football club operates and achieves success in the lower divisions.

I've not really bothered watching documentaries belonging to PL teams. I find lower league ones far more interesting, because I can identify with a lot of the content.

PL teams are in another universe. Fans are plastic. Can't associate with any of that. I enjoy the drama of the PL when you get the odd classic game, but my heart's not in it any more.

Football at our level is what football was meant to be. Football at PL level is for the rich, the elite, the oligarchs and the Saudi sportswashers. They can keep it for all I care.

Hopefully a documentary like this will pull on the heartstrings of any and every *genuine* football fan.
Posted by: marinerjase, June 27, 2023, 11:38am; Reply: 26
Think documentaries on Sport are great to watch, with varying degrees of interest, given the subject matter.  Sure this Town one will be very good for us. Like many I watched the Wrexham one - enjoyed that one, once yo got round the American explanation of the game to its audience - as it concentrated on life long fans, as well as players. There was a story within a story.

Didn’t really enjoy the Arsenal All or nothing one - just seemed to be the same format repeated relentlessly..Arteta team talk, glimpse of action, Arteta post match ..and repeat.

Personally I enjoy a story behind whatever I’m watching..could watch the Bobby Robson one on Amazon over and over..mainly because as a man not only as manager he was brilliant. Spoke so well, protective of those around him, went through highs and lows both during and after football. One of my 2/3 fav managers of all time..don’t think I’ll ever forget that moment on Sports Personality when he got Lifetime Achievement award..goosebumps every time. (His book is a great read also) .

Some brilliant documentaries on Sport around..just rewatched Ben Stokes:Phoenix from the Ashes, again a story within a story..just brilliant to watch.

Digressing I know..apologies..find some documentaries absolutely fascinating..story behind the stars we see. Warts and all..mental health battles, self doubt, insecurity, strength, drive..passion. Whatever.

Going back to Town - look forward to this one obviously..and I know we won’t see it in this, probably ever - but one thing that fascinates me on Hurst is how he goes about building the unit he does. Done it time and time over here..builds different squads and gets them as one. Would love to know how that is done behind the scenes..the talks..guidance..approaches..the arguments..
Posted by: Son of Cod, June 27, 2023, 11:56am; Reply: 27
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I’d prefer Brian blessed screaming ‘gordons alive’ with each last minute goal

What you're describing isn't a million miles away from John Moore to be fair.
Posted by: wxm80s, June 27, 2023, 1:50pm; Reply: 28

You'll be surprised. I'll watch it despite the obvious  :'(

I've watched most of them pretty much. I find non premiership ones far better. The Dorking one, a bunch of amateurs is excellent.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 27, 2023, 2:14pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Poojah

Wow, just wow!  No mincing of words there!

Posted by: Chalky, June 27, 2023, 3:09pm; Reply: 30
Unfashionable* underdog club gains promotion back into the EFL despite the odds,i will watch it for sure and I bet that a lot of other people will to,PL club documentaries are all pretty much the same with the self important players not really looking good by the end of it,I've got to admit that I will enjoy it more now than last this time last season

*I love you really mariners 👍
Posted by: RonMariner, June 27, 2023, 3:33pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from 123614

Wow, just wow!  No mincing of words there!

Sounds like he took elocution lessons from Barry Fry. His rants were truly legendary.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 27, 2023, 6:47pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from ska face

Never fear, through gargling of Boris’ love lotion, Nici will be delivering her fine narration skills whilst stroking the cat she stole…
Posted by: toontown, June 27, 2023, 9:16pm; Reply: 33
Really looking forward to this, shoukd be good with the production company that's involved, but most of all because it was such an incredible experience. The closest you can come to watching an international knock out tournament building up to a final for your team, except for a club. With the different layout of EFL playoffs probably means we will never see the like again (assuming we stay out of NL!).
Posted by: Wedidntdidwe, June 27, 2023, 10:20pm; Reply: 34
A season that had a great start, an awful middle but an ending you could only dream about.
TV drama at its finest.
Posted by: ska face, June 27, 2023, 10:37pm; Reply: 35
Season 2 in the pipeline covering the FA Cup run -

https://deadline.com/2023/06/grimsby-town-fc-take-page-out-of-wrexhams-book-with-docuseries-1235424649/
Posted by: moosey_club, June 29, 2023, 8:35am; Reply: 36
https://deadline.com/2023/06/grimsby-town-fc-take-page-out-of-wrexhams-book-with-docuseries-1235424649/

As feared.....being reported as we are doing a "Wrexham" 🙄
Posted by: lukeo, June 30, 2023, 7:21am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Mappers

That was kind of my feelings towards it but my view and option on the 2 guys has totally changed after watching it. Decent blokes. Strange, but decent
Posted by: ska face, August 11, 2023, 3:23pm; Reply: 38
Hope this is moving along well. Don’t want to be getting another year or two down the line & it never seeing the light of day.

Just watched the highlights from when we were last at Notts, only Clifton, Waterfall & Amos still at the club and not sure that’ll still be right come the end of the transfer window.
Posted by: It Bites, August 11, 2023, 3:25pm; Reply: 39
When is the first series available?
Posted by: mariner91, August 11, 2023, 3:27pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from ska face
Hope this is moving along well. Don’t want to be getting another year or two down the line & it never seeing the light of day.

Just watched the highlights from when we were last at Notts, only Clifton, Waterfall & Amos still at the club and not sure that’ll still be right come the end of the transfer window.

Holohan?
Posted by: ska face, August 11, 2023, 3:28pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from It Bites
When is the first series available?

Nobody knows. Still trying to find someone to buy it & stream it by the looks of things.
Posted by: ska face, August 11, 2023, 3:29pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from mariner91

Holohan?

Only Clifton, Waterfall, Amos and Holohan…
Posted by: mariner91, August 11, 2023, 3:48pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from ska face

Easy one to forget, had a quiet game where he didn't do much  ;).
Posted by: RonMariner, August 11, 2023, 5:08pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from mariner91

Easy one to forget, had a quiet game where he didn't do much  ;).

BOOM........
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, August 11, 2023, 6:40pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from ska face

And michee (although injured)

Posted by: tashee69, August 11, 2023, 6:45pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from ska face

This is turning into “what have the romans ever done for us” 🤣🤣🤣
Posted by: ska face, August 11, 2023, 7:05pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

And michee (although injured)

It’ll be good to watch this documentary, looks like I missed half of what went on at the time.
Posted by: toontown, August 11, 2023, 7:48pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from ska face

You'd think, with the level of interest in Wrexham, and the fact they are involved it would be of interest to someone to pick up. I'd be surprised if it isn't.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 12, 2023, 12:01am; Reply: 49
Quoted from tashee69

This is turning into “what have the romans ever done for us” 🤣🤣🤣

Been in a pub tonight and they had a beer called " What have the Roman's ever brewed for us"?
Posted by: Davec, August 12, 2023, 8:19am; Reply: 50
I do agree with what others has said and we need some news soon about when this will be available to watch, it's already been over a year now, time is getting on and I don't want it to be like "6 seasons ago Grimsby got promoted in dramatic fashion"
Posted by: lobsterpot, August 30, 2023, 3:54pm; Reply: 51
So what happens if a streaming service doesn’t buy it? With everyone baying for release, once the makers have given up the ghost and the club think right let’s just bang it on you tube, that’s all the effort and potential income gone. But how long do they wait???
Posted by: ska face, August 30, 2023, 4:04pm; Reply: 52
All the Hollywood execs are sat around the table discussing it over a cwaafeee and a bagel as we speak.
Posted by: toontown, August 30, 2023, 7:49pm; Reply: 53
Seems to be a v bad time to be selling stuff to streaming services. I saw an article the other day about how they are trying to reduce the amount of shows they have in their catalogue for tax purposes. Some shows that they themselves have paid for and made simply being binned so their value can be written off and they don't have to pay so much tax.

Although on the other hand maybe they will need some cheap stuff to replace the expansive shows they've been forced to cancel?
Posted by: Mappers, August 30, 2023, 9:00pm; Reply: 54
If all else fails DVD & VHS in the club shop .
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 30, 2023, 11:51pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Mappers
If all else fails DVD & VHS in the club shop .

I hope they do a betamax
Posted by: gtfc_chris, August 31, 2023, 7:25am; Reply: 56
I was asking a few questions on this when I went in to view and choose my season tickets in July. The lady in the ticket office said it's 100% on Netflix. Don't remember if she explained what is currently happening with it but that's what it'll be on apparently. Also said about a second one too. Can't remember for certain if she said there's definitely a second one or it's in the pipeline. Either way, I'm looking forward for when it gets released. Perhaps an email into the trust might be able to offer information on estimated release date. Maybe they're holding off and releasing it for prime Xmas viewing globally.....
Posted by: ska face, August 31, 2023, 8:55am; Reply: 57
Quoted from gtfc_chris
Perhaps an email into the trust might be able to offer information on estimated release date.

Nothing to do with the Trust.
Posted by: gtfc_chris, August 31, 2023, 11:17am; Reply: 58
Quoted from ska face

Nothing to do with the Trust.

I know, but with members on the board they may be able to acquire the information people are after.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 31, 2023, 11:25am; Reply: 59
The film director posts on here. I'm sure if he had information he could share, it would be here.
Posted by: ska face, September 12, 2023, 7:25pm; Reply: 60
What’s this I hear about an episode or two being leaked on Vimeo? Anyone see anything?
Posted by: Wiley2405, September 13, 2023, 9:37pm; Reply: 61
Surely it’s been too long now? It was an amazing season and would have made great viewing even for a neutral shortly after it but now it’ll only have the interest for Town fans so any big streaming service wouldn’t be interested.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 13, 2023, 10:21pm; Reply: 62
Get the cameras rolling Saturday...smash Wrexham 7-0...Parkinson gets the sack..... Grim Reaper Series on Netflix
Posted by: toontown, September 13, 2023, 10:48pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Wiley2405
Surely it’s been too long now? It was an amazing season and would have made great viewing even for a neutral shortly after it but now it’ll only have the interest for Town fans so any big streaming service wouldn’t be interested.

Surely with Wrexham 2nd series out last week, towns playoff victory even being shown in the trailer for it, this is the perfect time to cash in by playing up the link. I also think now would likely be the last moment for selling it too and by the end of the year it'll be too late.
Posted by: sutton mariner, September 15, 2023, 6:48pm; Reply: 64
It’s coming it’s coming don’t y’all worry
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 10:36pm