Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Poojah, June 19, 2023, 6:11pm
After hitting 96 points and winning the play-offs, despite losing the first leg 4-0.

Bizarre. They wouldn't, would they?

https://twitter.com/swfc/status/1670838532355522561?cxt=HHwWgoCw4d2ygbAuAAAA
Posted by: toontown, June 19, 2023, 6:14pm; Reply: 1
Never say never when it comes to football, that's for sure...
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 19, 2023, 6:14pm; Reply: 2
Nah, I can't imagine they're going to bin off a promotion winning manager (who did more than OK in the Championship with West Brom) for a guy who guided his side to 11th in League Two.

Remove the local connection out of this and Hurst wouldn't even be considered.
Posted by: thefish, June 19, 2023, 6:15pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Poojah
After hitting 96 points and winning the play-offs, despite losing the first leg 4-0.

Bizarre. They wouldn't, would they?

https://twitter.com/swfc/status/1670838532355522561?cxt=HHwWgoCw4d2ygbAuAAAA

Surely not.

To be fair, it sounds like they’ve had a fall out with Dave’s brother so hopefully that’ll put him off!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 19, 2023, 6:19pm; Reply: 4
Surely Wednesday are looking to kick on and get to the Premier League, Hurst is far from the best manager to help them do that.
Posted by: Mariner1068, June 19, 2023, 6:24pm; Reply: 5
Bizarre , could he be on Leeds radar ?
Posted by: buckstown, June 19, 2023, 6:45pm; Reply: 6
Must have another gig lined up
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, June 19, 2023, 6:46pm; Reply: 7
Apparently he wanted a bigger budget, that seems to be the rumour on Twitter.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 19, 2023, 7:44pm; Reply: 8
O’Neill from Bournemouth?
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, June 20, 2023, 8:51am; Reply: 9
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
O’Neill from Bournemouth?

Moore is a bizarre one.

O'Neill, absolutely stabbed in the back by Bournemouth: 'thanks for getting us safe Gary, here's a new contract....ooh, look who's available over there. See ya.'

Wednesday won't be interested in Hurst, they'll want a big name who'll bring the players in.
Posted by: Corkyefes, June 20, 2023, 9:32am; Reply: 10
I would think that Hurst will stick his CV in, but not saying he will get chance to interview.

He has said in the past that he would relish the Sheff W or Rotherham jobs.
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 20, 2023, 9:35am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Corkyefes
I would think that Hurst will stick his CV in, but not saying he will get chance to interview.

He has said in the past that he would relish the Sheff W or Rotherham jobs.

Hurst needs to rebuild his reputation as a League manager first. Last time he went for a Championship club, you can make all the legitimate arguments about Ipswich being a basket case, it was a complete disaster.

No way Pedro this one happens.
Posted by: gtfc_chris, June 20, 2023, 9:55am; Reply: 12
I don't think is likely to happen for a few reasons but I also don't think his reputation as a league manager would detract them.

We as fans ordinarily look for the obvious in terms of what success a manager or player has had because looking in from the outside that's all we have to go on.

Internally, for those who work daily in the profession, they'll have a greater understanding of what his strengths are and whether they'd align to what they feel the Club needs, the same being true of any manager. They could look to his first time return to the league and a respectable finish at 'unfashionable' (still think there's some time needed to fully shake the dust off the last 20 years) Grimsby and think there's a manager who ticks their boxes. Similarly, with a lot of new, young coaches coming into the senior game from the youth level and having success, this is a route that although not identical is similar in principle.

Despite saying all that, I still think they'll go for someone more high profile. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to find someone from Germany or Spain as more and more of the higher clubs seem to be doing.
Posted by: Maringer, June 20, 2023, 10:15am; Reply: 13
My (Wednesday-supporting) brother-in-law says the jungle drums say it is going to be Carlos Carvahal coming in. Recently left Celta Vigo after helping them stay up, friends with the owner, owns a house in Sheffield, is reportedly currently in the city with a fan's forum due tonight...
Posted by: biggleswademariner, June 20, 2023, 10:18am; Reply: 14
That means he leaves tomorrow then - I'll get my coat :)
Posted by: chaos33, June 20, 2023, 10:57am; Reply: 15
If Wednesday give a second’s thought to Paul Hurst as their new manager then my c*** is a kipper.
Posted by: bawarmy, June 20, 2023, 11:23am; Reply: 16
Quoted from buckstown
Must have another gig lined up

Moore was racially abused by the Wednesday supporters after the first leg 4-0 play off defeat. I wouldn't want to hang around after that.

Posted by: ginnywings, June 25, 2023, 8:01pm; Reply: 17
Another one gone before the season starts, but this one has recent history with us and we get a mention.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66013578
Posted by: malkamalka, June 25, 2023, 8:21pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Maringer
My (Wednesday-supporting) brother-in-law says the jungle drums say it is going to be Carlos Carvahal coming in. Recently left Celta Vigo after helping them stay up, friends with the owner, owns a house in Sheffield, is reportedly currently in the city with a fan's forum due tonight...

Isn't he in line for the Leeds job?

Posted by: RichMariner, June 25, 2023, 8:41pm; Reply: 19
It'll soon become apparent whether getting rid of Moore was a good decision. However, after they overturned that 4-0 deficit in the play-off second leg it was clear how much the players thought of him.

Clearly, the owners don't value that sort of relationship. They won't care how emotionally connected the players are with the manager and his wider staff. It's a cold, ruthless business, and it's no surprise that loyalty very rarely shown in the other direction.
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 6:58am