Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 1mickylyons, June 18, 2023, 10:32am
Having not been near BP since the Season ended can anyone advise if any works have taken place in relation to the ground? I was told a job was planned for the main stand roof and posts during the closed season so just wondering if that's happened as not heard owt?
Posted by: Mappers, June 18, 2023, 11:27am; Reply: 1
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Having not been near BP since the Season ended can anyone advise if any works have taken place in relation to the ground? I was told a job was planned for the main stand roof and posts during the closed season so just wondering if that's happened as not heard owt?

By the sound of the recent interview with Stockwood and Petit the work on the main stand is just to keep it operational , so I am not sure if it will be noticeable on the eye but you would have thought it's being done ready for next season.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 18, 2023, 12:46pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Mappers

By the sound of the recent interview with Stockwood and Petit the work on the main stand is just to keep it operational , so I am not sure if it will be noticeable on the eye but you would have thought it's being done ready for next season.

Some wooden bits were supposed to be replaced by steel bits so it should be noticeable.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 18, 2023, 1:16pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Some wooden bits were supposed to be replaced by steel bits so it should be noticeable.

I thought the deadwood was removed when 1878 took over 😬
Posted by: Mappers, June 18, 2023, 2:49pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Fair enough mate will be interesting to see what the work looks like , were they talking about taking some posts out or am i imagining that?
Posted by: HerveJosse, June 18, 2023, 4:44pm; Reply: 5
Didn’t know we had a stadium
Posted by: rancido, June 18, 2023, 5:16pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from HerveJosse
Didn’t know we had a stadium

Stadium:
An athletic or sports ground with tiers of seats for spectators.

Herve Josse, you really are a pedantic sharp object!!!
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, June 18, 2023, 6:26pm; Reply: 7
i think they said on the DN35 podcast that they were hoping to put it off this season because there is money becoming available from either the FA or the new TV deal next year for infrastructure improvements, so they were wanting to put as much of the work off this summer as is safe/possible
Posted by: HerveJosse, June 18, 2023, 7:39pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from rancido

Stadium:

Herve Josse, you really are a pedantic sharp object!!!

It will always be our ground to me
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, June 18, 2023, 9:16pm; Reply: 9
Gateshead play at a stadium, so do West Ham. We play at our home ground.
Posted by: mimma, June 18, 2023, 10:44pm; Reply: 10
West Ham play in a dump!
Posted by: White_shorts, June 26, 2023, 5:44pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from rancido

Stadium:

Herve Josse, you really are pedantic!!!

For me, personally, a stadium is an arena where the stands have a bigger footprint than the pitch.  For example, Wembley, Old Trafford, Anfield.

Blundell Park is more of a ground.

Posted by: rancido, June 26, 2023, 11:08pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from White_shorts

For me, personally, a stadium is an arena where the stands have a bigger footprint than the pitch.  For example, Wembley, Old Trafford, Anfield.

Maybe for you but I was quoting a dictionary description of a stadium.
Posted by: Norseman, June 27, 2023, 11:00pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from White_shorts

Do you not think the stands at BP have a bigger footprint than the pitch .I would say in square metreage the 4 stands would have more
Posted by: male private Nale, June 27, 2023, 11:21pm; Reply: 14
Jesus wept what a thread , people's idiosyncratic view on what constitutes a stadium.
Posted by: rancido, June 28, 2023, 6:14am; Reply: 15
Quoted from male private Nale
Jesus wept what a thread , people's idiosyncratic view on what constitutes a stadium.

All peoples opinions are valid and this is a message board.
Posted by: chaos33, June 28, 2023, 7:01am; Reply: 16
Is it a ‘message board’ or is it a ‘forum’ ? 😉
Posted by: pizzzza, June 28, 2023, 7:07am; Reply: 17
Quoted from rancido

All peoples opinions are valid and this is a message board.

Didn't you call someone a "pedantic sharp object" on page 1 of this very same thread?
Posted by: Brazilnut, June 28, 2023, 8:38am; Reply: 18
We are getting very close to where a Ground will Identify as a Stadium  and a stadium will proudly state it is an Arena ......and in todays world we have to accept it   ;D
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, June 28, 2023, 9:16am; Reply: 19
I'm Brian and so's my wife....
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, June 28, 2023, 9:21am; Reply: 20
Quoted from mimma
West Ham play in a dump!

I was at that dump on Sunday for the baseball and it was fantastic.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, June 28, 2023, 12:45pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Brazilnut
We are getting very close to where a Ground will Identify as a Stadium  and a stadium will proudly state it is an Arena ......and in todays world we have to accept it   ;D

I expect when, inevitably, the SuperLeague rears its head again there will eligibility rules that require a home “amphitheater”

Posted by: WetFlannel, June 28, 2023, 3:08pm; Reply: 22
To be fair I do think that if we do ever get a new stadium it would be pretty good to give it the most pretentious name we can think of. Calling it the Freeman Street Coliseum would be my choice
Posted by: It Bites, June 29, 2023, 7:42am; Reply: 23
Quoted from WetFlannel
To be fair I do think that if we do ever get a new stadium it would be pretty good to give it the most pretentious name we can think of. Calling it the Freeman Street Coliseum would be my choice

I'll just throw " The Nunsthorpe Tavern Mega Dome "
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 29, 2023, 8:21am; Reply: 24
"Fenty's False Promise'

or

"1878 Thunderdome"
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, June 29, 2023, 8:51am; Reply: 25
The Dock Tower Gigabowl - also known as 'The theatre of Docks',
Posted by: The Caterham Mariner, June 29, 2023, 11:02am; Reply: 26
The New Blundell..Ground !!
Dear we dream for a future location where a game of football be played and spectators can view the game.
UTM 2023-- 24 ..and beyond !!
Posted by: scrumble, June 29, 2023, 5:40pm; Reply: 27
"Fenty's False Promise'

or

"1878 Thunderdome"

I think we should name a urinal "The Fenty Suite"
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 29, 2023, 6:24pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from scrumble

I think we should name a urinal "The Fenty Suite"

Where you can deconstruct all the Sh1t we’ve been fed in the past
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 6, 2023, 2:15pm; Reply: 29
Improvements at BP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrJWZpxeX9s&ab_channel=GrimsbyTownF.C.
Posted by: ska face, July 6, 2023, 2:43pm; Reply: 30
That video’s 4 years old
Posted by: hheh2, July 6, 2023, 3:51pm; Reply: 31
The short and sweet, Disley Park or Disley Parade can’t decide between the two  :P ;D
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, July 6, 2023, 4:03pm; Reply: 32
Surely it has to be.... The Fish Bowl
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 6, 2023, 4:10pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from hheh2
The short and sweet, Disley Park or Disley Parade can’t decide between the two  :P ;D

And if we get into the champions league…..

Euro Disley
Posted by: ancientmariner54, July 6, 2023, 4:14pm; Reply: 34
"Fenty's False Promise'

or

"1878 Thunderdome"

1878 Thunderdome     .seriously  good
Posted by: hheh2, July 6, 2023, 6:48pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

And if we get into the champions league…..

Euro Disley

Disley World
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 6, 2023, 7:54pm; Reply: 36
Have we made any of the ground claret and blue for our new tenants?
Posted by: crusty ole pie, July 6, 2023, 8:00pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Gateshead play at a stadium, so do West Ham. We play at our home ground.

No but the kiosks will be selling jelly and ice cream
Posted by: RonMariner, July 7, 2023, 10:25am; Reply: 38
Looking at that video brings it home just how much space is not being used in the open corners. Surely there is a way of getting some form of seating there without  breaking the bank?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 7, 2023, 12:11pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from crusty ole pie

No but the kiosks will be selling jelly and ice cream

Have I missed something? Are the caravan dwellers coming to share?
Posted by: rancido, July 7, 2023, 1:45pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

If they were coming we'd be selling clothes pegs, lucky heather and snared rabbits!
Posted by: moosey_club, July 25, 2023, 5:30pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

The only thing they share is the same DNA.

Slightly off topic but...I see a new team called Darlington United have been formed this season, North Riding Premier Division, and they are using the Darlington Arena as a ground!!
Ambitious ...or .......daft ?
Posted by: lukeo, July 25, 2023, 6:02pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from moosey_club

The only thing they share is the same DNA.

Slightly off topic but...I see a new team called Darlington United have been formed this season, North Riding Premier Division, and they are using the Darlington Arena as a ground!!
Ambitious ...or .......daft ?

I just assumed it had been derelict or knocked down, shows how much I know.
I've researched the team and it's only going to end 1 way unless someone can afford the rent themselves! Their website is poor and apart from the management team they have nothing else on their page regards players, fixtures etc..
Be very interesting to see how it pans out!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 25, 2023, 7:15pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from lukeo

I've researched the team and it's only going to end 1 way unless someone can afford the rent themselves! Their website is poor and apart from the management team they have nothing else on their page regards players, fixtures etc..

This article explains it all. Interesting for sure and I wonder what they are paying in rent.

[url]https://fanbanter.co.uk/11th-tier-club-move-into-26500-seater-stadium/[/url]
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 25, 2023, 8:29pm; Reply: 44
Didn't see the Hull game so my first trip to BP this pre-season tonight.

Some extra wood put up as support between the posts and the roof beams in the Main Stand. I genuinely didn't think the view could get worse in there but somehow it has.  ;D
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, July 25, 2023, 9:01pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from lukeo

Going to a gig there next week, will be very interesting.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 25, 2023, 9:56pm; Reply: 46
I no longer have targets to aim my half time pees at in the Main Stand!
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 26, 2023, 9:34am; Reply: 47
So these are the structural improvements/works in the Main Stand, or at least the ones I could see last night.

[img]https://gcdnb.pbrd.co/images/RWuMP50fzOMG.jpg?o=1[/img]

If you click on the image to enlarge you can see better the additional wood that is in place between the steel posts and the roof beams, I presume to help support the stand itself.

I'm not a structural engineer so I'm careful to not criticise unfairly here and fully accept the need to make it safe.  But would it be wrong to have expected the work to not have added to a restricted view?  Yes, the view is already blocked by posts etc. I'm not arguing that point.  The picture perhaps doesn't it justice but the extra wood adds a fair bit more obstruction of the view.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 26, 2023, 9:57am; Reply: 48
Quoted from diehardmariner
So these are the structural improvements/works in the Main Stand, or at least the ones I could see last night.

[img]https://gcdnb.pbrd.co/images/RWuMP50fzOMG.jpg?o=1[/img]

If you click on the image to enlarge you can see better the additional wood that is in place between the steel posts and the roof beams, I presume to help support the stand itself.

I'm not a structural engineer so I'm careful to not criticise unfairly here and fully accept the need to make it safe.  But would it be wrong to have expected the work to not have added to a restricted view?  Yes, the view is already blocked by posts etc. I'm not arguing that point.  The picture perhaps doesn't it justice but the extra wood adds a fair bit more obstruction of the view.

There was work planned to improve the view but it didn’t happen. I’ve heard two different stories as to why but I’m not going to repeat either.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, July 26, 2023, 10:25am; Reply: 49
Quoted from MuddyWaters

There was work planned to improve the view but it didn’t happen. I’ve heard two different stories as to why but I’m not going to repeat either.

I don't know why you keep posting about these supposed stories, our CEO has said openly in an interview that works have been delayed due to more money being available next year. We'd be idiotic to spend club money this year when we can essentially have it paid for us next year.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 26, 2023, 10:30am; Reply: 50
Someone near me said that the club didn't realise there was a lead time on steel and that is why the work didn't happen this summer. Whether or not that is true, I'd rather we use grants in 12 months time.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 26, 2023, 1:44pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

I don't know why you keep posting about these supposed stories, our CEO has said openly in an interview that works have been delayed due to more money being available next year. We'd be idiotic to spend club money this year when we can essentially have it paid for us next year.

OK. The tender process wasn’t completed in time for the successful bidder to get the materials in time is the story I’ve heard from more than one source. Next year’s price will undoubtedly be higher than it was this year - there was every intention to complete the work this year.
Posted by: HerveJosse, July 26, 2023, 5:10pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Why not take the roof off and supports out and everybody would have an unrestricted view. Statistically it only rains on average for 4 % of the time on the East Coast . The club shop could also have a new sales line in Maribers branded sou’westers and no more roof maintenance costs so win win all round. May also be able to get a few extra rows of seats at the back.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 26, 2023, 5:15pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from HerveJosse

Why not take the roof off and supports out and everybody would have an unrestricted view. Statistically it only rains on average for 4 % of the time on the East Coast . The club shop could also have a new sales line in Maribers branded sou’westers and no more roof maintenance costs so win win all round. May also be able to get a few extra rows of seats at the back.

Would probably rot the timber when it does rain though 🤔
Posted by: moosey_club, July 26, 2023, 5:19pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Would probably rot the timber when it does rain though 🤔

The timber actually rotted away years ago, all that's left is the crusty top layer of oil, creosote, varnish , paint and everything else slapped on it over 100 yrs
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, July 26, 2023, 5:20pm; Reply: 55
A few tins of Ronseal, will be fine!
Posted by: bedders78, July 27, 2023, 9:13am; Reply: 56
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
A few tins of Ronseal, will be fine!

On the supporters?
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 27, 2023, 10:08am; Reply: 57
4% rain eh? The last two weeks have been on a par with the monsoon season in Malaysia
Posted by: Norseman, July 27, 2023, 11:53pm; Reply: 58
Should be much cheaper in the main than anywhere due to restricted views
Posted by: moosey_club, July 29, 2023, 11:59am; Reply: 59
Quoted from Norseman
Should be much cheaper in the main than anywhere due to restricted views

Pretty much a scheduled monument so that's a couple of quid entry alone......probably should get a discount if you are a National Trust member though 😉
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 9:36am